Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing TS2 for the first time

L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
I know I'm a little late to the game here, but anything I should know before playing?
ID: L33tP33tNW
she/her
AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    I suggest you take a stroll around Strangetown :sunglasses: its lovely this time of year.... or any other time of year for that matter
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    Welcome to the best sims game made so far! 😁 (and I’ve played all of them).

I mean… the best thing is really to just try yourself and discover things for yourself. Some helpful things to know though:
    * Do not ever delete tombstones, delete sims from the bin or move an inhabited house from one world to another. All of these actions will corrupt your game.
    * There are mods for literally everything in this game.
    * It is quite different than sims 3 and 4 if you’ve played those. Sims 2 is extremely customizable (so is sims 3 to an extent also in all fairness, but in different ways), sims 2 is very supportive of rotational play if you’re into that. I’ve always played rotationally and that’s one of the reasons I never felt like sims 3 or 4 suited me.
    * If you are used to sims 3 or 4 and miss story progression there is a really great mod for that for sims 2. I’ve never used it because I don’t want story progression, but I’ve read that many people missed it in sims 2 and that the mod has gotten great reviews.
    * If you get into the game a bit and feel like downloading some cc I _strongly_ recommend downloading the world Elsewhere by Plasticbox. It’s wonderful and doesn’t contain a lot of cc and is so much fun to play with.
    * Some useful cheats:
    - Motherlode: adds 50 000 simoleons to your household
    - Kaching: adds 1000
    - Aging on/off: stops the sims on the lot from aging and turns it on again
    - Moveobjects on/off: ability to place object where you otherwise can’t
    - Boolprop allow45degreeangleofrotation true/false: allows diagonal placement of objects

Those are some basics, but you should really just try for yourself! Have fun :-)
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited August 2022
    My favourite town is Pleasantview. The best things about the Sims 2 is the fact the Sims sit and chat together. You can have family meals. If you sit a Sim down, they stay there until you you tell them or one of their needs bottom out. So useful for sorting the house out.
    Sims 3 and 4 often feel like herding cats!

Although going anywhere means a loading screen I never minded this.

There’s some great mods and cc out. I got a laptop although it functions as a desktop computer in game. Some clothes and a manuscript mod, they can get creativity points from it as well as the easel and piano.

Have fun! 😊.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    This is a much earlier version of the game, and some things were not yet as we know them today. Be careful about moving in or marrying certain "special NPCs", it can corrupt your game. Some are ok (like maids), but others are not. Always check if it's safe before you do it, because you may corrupt your save.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    This is a much earlier version of the game, and some things were not yet as we know them today. Be careful about moving in or marrying certain "special NPCs", it can corrupt your game. Some are ok (like maids), but others are not. Always check if it's safe before you do it, because you may corrupt your save.

Rule of thumb here: If they don't show up in your relationship panel after interacting with them, it's probably not a safe idea to move in or marry them.

Those special NPC's are shared between neighborhoods and their file is located in the installation directory. Meaning you'll have to reinstall the game and delete any neighborhood that you had played after they had been corrupted.

While this game does have a number of known ways to corrupt your game, don't be too overly cautious in your play. Corruption doesn't go from corrupted to horribly broken glitchy mess in a single Sim day. It takes time. It could be the next day or it could be 10 years. You could have a bad glitch due to corruption, go back to a back up and go several generations past that point before having anymore issues. Chances are you'll be bored of a neighborhood before corruption takes too much of a hold on your neighborhood. Let's just say on the official Sims 2 forum, you could get into arguments over whether corruption was an actual thing because of how random the speed of corruption would occur is.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Sims 2 is an awesome game and the Sims actually have a personality, depending on their horoscope. One of my favorite parts about Sims 2 is it is great for a rotational player. Time stops when you leave your lot and non-active sims don't advance if not playing them. That actually helps me, as I like playing all of the sims in my town, having them get to know and socialize with each other. With seasons I always change the season at the end of my rotation, just before returning to my first household. You are able to go into seasons and change them so you have all of the four the same, which keeps the season for the entire time you are playing. If you enjoy playing college with several sims, you just need to put them all in a house together and then have them all apply to college, placing them together into a dorm. It is a challenge but so much fun! Welcome to Sims 2 and enjoy!
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Rule of thumb here: If they don't show up in your relationship panel after interacting with them, it's probably not a safe idea to move in or marry them.

Those special NPC's are shared between neighborhoods and their file is located in the installation directory. Meaning you'll have to reinstall the game and delete any neighborhood that you had played after they had been corrupted.

While this game does have a number of known ways to corrupt your game, don't be too overly cautious in your play. Corruption doesn't go from corrupted to horribly broken glitchy mess in a single Sim day. It takes time. It could be the next day or it could be 10 years. You could have a bad glitch due to corruption, go back to a back up and go several generations past that point before having anymore issues. Chances are you'll be bored of a neighborhood before corruption takes too much of a hold on your neighborhood. Let's just say on the official Sims 2 forum, you could get into arguments over whether corruption was an actual thing because of how random the speed of corruption would occur is.

I agree with you and I would also like to add that those sims that you could corrupt your game by marrying you can’t actually marry without cheats. So you won’t accidentally suddenly find yourself doing that, you would have to very deliberately make an effort to marry a sim that the game won’t let you marry or add to your household through normal gameplay.

While it is absolutely fair criticism to the sims 2 that there even is the ability to do things in normal gameplay that will corrupt the game (like the things I mentioned in my previous comment: deleting tombstones and sims and such things), I don’t think the ability to corrupt it through cheats and mods and stuff is something one can criticize the game for. Any of the sims games can be corrupted through cheats and mods, those things are always at your own risk because you are doing things the game wasn’t meant to do.

All of this is just added to your comment: I agree with your original premise that the game isn’t even that easy to corrupt severely. The corruption thing with sims 2 is very exaggerated. Sims 4 is by far more buggy, and sims 3 basically required a super computer to run.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2022
    One thing to remember that The Sims 2 has a different save system (same one The Sims 1 has). Each lot is a different save (while in The Sims 3 & 4, each world was a different save). This also means that when you switch households for a few days and come back, nothing has been changed when you left it: the time is same, the aging and pregnancy progress in same, skills stay same... Only things that can change is life state, relationships, and death if they're on the same lot your sim is (no worries, deaths really shouldn't occur randomly).
    This also means that you can't save on community lots unless you own them. And when your sim goes out, the home lot will be saved in its current state. And if you save while on owned community lot or in a hotel, other sims cannot visit it when you are playing with another household.
    And lastly, I'd recommend to never save and quit. You may save with a button click or save and exit to the neighborhood and then quit, but I'd won't save and exit. I lost a lot that way (the game crashed while loading it)...

Of course like someone said, there is that story progression mod that changes that all.
  • vulpdenvulpden Posts: 16 Member
    Sims 2 is absolutely my favourite of all the games. I hope you're enjoying it so far!
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2022
    One thing you'll need to know if you ever have a pregnant sim. There is a lot of work in keeping their needs good. When I first started playing Sims 2 I can't even tell you the number that died on me, but it was a lot. Just keep multiple servings of food in the fridge, really helps.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    One thing you'll need to know if you ever have a pregnant sim. There is a lot of work in keeping their needs good. When I first started playing Sims 2 I can't even tell you the number that died on me, but it was a lot. Just keep multiple servings of food in the fridge, really helps.

True true true! I had some first pregnant sims die in my game too.
    Soon I developed a strategy (which works in games with Seasons or later pack). Make a group meal and grab a plate to separate it. Cancel the eating interaction and put the meals into the fridge. That way when taking leftovers, it will skip the putting down the plate and grabbing a plate part and will go straight to eating.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Some tips:

1. Hunger is most important motive. Who cares if they're stinky or will pee on themselves. They'll live.
    2. Energy is the second most important as it can make dealing with Hunger harder
    3. If Energy and Hunger are low, have them eat a snack. They won't face plant into their snack. Then have them go nap for a couple of hours or so. Then wake them up and have them eat. If there are no left overs in the fridge, have a spouse or teen Sim prepare a meal while the Sim is napping.
    4. Be mindful of activities that they can do while pregnant that drain hunger AND energy, especially if that activity is something you're wanting your pregnant Sim to do while on maternity leave (assuming you don't make them walk to work)
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Some tips:

1. Hunger is most important motive. Who cares if they're stinky or will pee on themselves. They'll live.
    2. Energy is the second most important as it can make dealing with Hunger harder
    3. If Energy and Hunger are low, have them eat a snack. They won't face plant into their snack. Then have them go nap for a couple of hours or so. Then wake them up and have them eat. If there are no left overs in the fridge, have a spouse or teen Sim prepare a meal while the Sim is napping.
    4. Be mindful of activities that they can do while pregnant that drain hunger AND energy, especially if that activity is something you're wanting your pregnant Sim to do while on maternity leave (assuming you don't make them walk to work)

Also with number 3, you can have them eat a meal, but just make sure there are not any chairs for them to sit on to eat at a table. One thing I did was go into buy mode and pull the dining chairs away from the table. They won't face plant there either.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Don't eat a snack, eat an instant meal. Serve an instant meal.
    Better yet, if they have the money, buy the buffet table in the Misc/Party tab.

You can even use the buffet table and put down plates of the food for the head master to eat. Just grab a serving, let them place it on the table, then cancel the action. Repeat until the table is full of meals so the head master can choose a serving.

Don't forget the Aspiration rewards. If they're in gold or platinum, use the energizer. You really should try all the rewards. The SimVac can be funny. :wink: