Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 3 remaster ?

ea, what want sims 3 remaster ? is good idea?

Comments

• Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    While I support this idea of a remake for Sims 3. Looking at EAs track record of even doing remakes of old titles; aka, none to their credit that I know of. It's not going to happen....

With that said, I would LOVE the idea of a Sims 3 rebuilt core engine that could take advantage of the advances in tech that have taken place. 2006-2014 was a huge rapid-fire time for hardware advancement alone, not including software advancement. The S3 franchise would have rocked if the core game had had the capabilities to taken advantage of the hardware and software coming out. The story system would've worked better with more advanced coding than was used at the time.

Sims 3 suffers from a persistent and consistent lag after the first week or two of a game played as it is now for most of the worlds within. This isnt as bad with Sunset Valley as with Barnacle Bay, but its still there.

Again, I think you're preaching to the choir in some aspects, but I doubt EA will listen...

They made poor choices with a Westwood title 20 years ago, so why would they listen now even if the game was different?

I'm not trying to be negative with you, I just have a very long patronage of EA products, and some of their choices have estranged me from them in certain aspects... Yeah... I can't be the only other one out there who would love this to happen, but its a pin drop in universe chance.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited July 2022
    The Mass Effect franchise got a remaster. Those games were released in 2007, 2010, and 2012. Most of the improvements in the remaster were focused on ME1, unsurprisingly, as the improvements were significant from 2007 to 2010.

It's also worth noting that the most recent game from Bioware, the studio that developed the ME series, is considered a failure to a large extent. Anthem was released in February 2019, it didn't do as well as hoped, and the ME remaster was announced almost exactly two years later, a couple of weeks before Anthem was officially "cancelled." Bioware is apparently also working on a new ME game, but that won't be out for a while yet. So the remaster may well have been an attempt to maintain interest in the franchise and the studio and bridge the gap to the next ME game. After all, it's cheaper to remaster an existing game than to create a new one from scratch, and in the interim you have a product to sell.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if EA needs to fill in a gap where there's no new Sims game available, or at least not one that's selling well enough, maybe we get a Sims 3 remaster? But I'm not counting on it any time soon.
  • Options
    Ok, on that, I stand corrected.. Just saying that for the most part, its very very rare for EA to do remasters... In Sims 3 case, perhaps the profitability is there, but considering how much content S3 had not counting the various mods and exchange stuff.... Its a great deal of code to rewrite...

I mean, S3 redone 64 bit could really be a hit, but it depends on how its done. The weird game lag that happens 2 to 5 days in depending on the world used, that would need addressing majorly... Reconsidering my earlier comment, maybe it could be done, but would it be popular enough for EA to sell?
  • Options
    Apologies for a double post, however, lets look at this from a different angle...

@Gothangel How would you do the Sims 3 remake? What game engine would you use for the back end stuff?

Certainly, it would need to be 64 bit, capable of handling say, 300 sims or so per world, with option of memory retention for played households only among other stuff.

I'm no game designer, but over the 20 odd years I've been playing some form of EA games, I've heard things... On Game Engines, EA is notorious [or was years ago] for being tight lipped about the engines they used for their games. One game engine, or at least a part of it, was considered so robus5t that government agencies were involved somehow, but that was one speculation out of many I heard about reasons for that game's shut down 18 years ago. Points if any can guess what game it was. :p

Any Sims 3 remake would have to be built with Modern Software, why it was made using language for a single core when multiple core processors were coming into being... Economics and deadlines perhaps? I know EA is also notorious for its deadlines and making poor choices in order to reach those deadlines [reference to referenced game earlier in post].

For the most part, I think a Sims 3 remake would simply need the back end foundation and the story progression redone; but I'm a simpleton when it comes to game design.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Unlikely to ever see such a thing. We can't even get EA to update the executable to run on 12th gen Intel processors. Thankfully, a member of the community made a patch. It's always members of the community fixing stuff in the Sims series.