Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curved walls are hard work!

I mean I figured they would be abit glitchy to put together much like the curved fences so I was expecting problems with platforms and joining walls but wow....they are so much more of a struggle then I imagined!

Even putting wallpaper on them had to be done piece by piece as rooms inside my round house werent registering. Then the problems of placing furniture or wall art, as half the time you have to try and place everything with the walls down because otherwise the item just doesnt show up.

*sigh* curved walls are def problematic....

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I believe that with time the curved walls will become improved, at least I hope they will be.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,119 Member
    While I like when we get new build tools/features, I always dread their release. It seems they're buggy or something frustrating about them at first. I felt the same way about terrain manipulation.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I found the entire way of building in Sims 4, initially to have a high learning curve. Happily, I love to build and although I cannot brag about my builds, I am pleased with what I have done. I have only quickly put together a round tower with a roof. Just for fun. One of the builds I did recently, required a curved wall. I tried doing the octagonal wall, instead, since this was prior to HSY, that didn't work, either. I ended up making it simply a straight wall. I do have the desire to go back to that build, however, upload it, and try creating the curved wall. If it works, I will download it onto the one in my Main save. Eventually, I will build a castle, too. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    edited August 2022
    Curved walls are a hot mess. They're driving my OCD insane. I thought I had them figured out but noooo another glitch appeared. I never had the buckling floors or ceilings issue. Instead I get a sharp white line from the curved wall to the curved balcony that will not go away. I ended up having to delete the entire lot and start over.

Also, I like to build with the box tool. I could do single walls but eh, why do the extra step? You have to place the boxes in a particular order otherwise you get an error that the box can't go against the curved wall box. OH! And the flooring? Try a zero elevation lot with a curved err... what's it called? The zero elevation balcony on the first floor (English is not my birth language and sometimes words escape me). Anyways, that room to the area outside it? I had to use the paint tool because I could not place the sidewalk in front of that porch area. It had giant gaping open spots of the default grass showing through.

I really should get an image hosting service so I can show these things instead of trying to explain them.

I'm done with curved walls. I went back to octagonal ones till they figure this out and it doesn't act so off.

And I've been building since 2015, I consider myself an experienced builder who recreates things she sees in real life that she finds interesting. So, this isn't a novice builder issue. I also refuse to use MOO. So, I can't overcome these issues like many of the builders on the gallery are doing because of their MOO usage.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    edited August 2022
    It's quite odd. Here's the latest thing I ran into: I have a large room with lots of rounded walls and straight walls. I was expecting issues with the rounded parts, but now when I draw say a 6-panel straight wall across the room to divide it, I can't apply wall coverings to one or both of the two end pieces of the wall.** It only shows on the 4 middle pieces, or the 4 middle pieces and one of the two ends. I found a fix which was drawing one panel, put the covering on that, and then extend the wall with the arrow keys to get it to go all the way across the room with no drywall showing.

Oh, and when placing a rounded room on grass, there's no way to fully cover up the grass with floor tiles. You get a bit of grass showing through at the curve even if you draw floor tiles on both sides of the rounded wall.
    But, if you terrain-paint something on the grass first, and then add floor tiles, the floor tiles will go flush with the rounded wall as expected. No terrain paint shows though.

???

I guess I'd rather have the option to make curved rooms even if it is slightly glitchy here and there?

**Edit: I figured this one out... Walls in rounded rooms seem to have a "sweet spot" partway up the wall where they can be clicked on to apply wall covering. Too high or too low doesn't work.
    Post edited by mightysprite on
    gen3-banner.png
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I think they're totally glitchy and not worth the effort. You end up with errors in the foundation, holes in roofs and nasty shadow artifacts. Just another buggy feature added to the ever growing list.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Oh phooey! And I was looking forward to curved walls. So far, I haven't been able to find them. Are they on the panel with the straight wall?
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • FirewestgamerFirewestgamer Posts: 30 Member
    I havent even tried to make curved walls
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    edited August 2022
    I tried and soon found out that you cannot attach a straight wall to any part of the circular curved wall it leaves a gap . Finally worked out there was no way i could add proper round turrets on my 3 floor castle
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    @bshag4lv go to build mode, hit the B key, choose any of the three "rounded room" options
    @julienrob2004 straight walls fit best if they are in the places that cut the circle in half or quarters. so far it seems easiest to use if you start with the straight walls that appear when you first place the rounded room, and then grow/shrink/combine rooms to your liking before deleting whichever straight walls you *don't* want.
    gen3-banner.png
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Awesome, thanks! :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I will probably just use curved walls for this series of homes and maybe a Victorian turret.
    I don't plan to do anything elaborate with them.
    07-26-22_12-48-38_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-26-22_2-40-35_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

07-26-22_2-38-06_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

My main issue is the janky effects they have on ceilings.
    08-06-22_5-28-31_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

08-06-22_5-29-08_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited August 2022
    starting to learn how to use them but they are indeed rather glitchy and frustrating so I'll probably only use them in special builds and don't make it my business to round out my existing octagonals that could have been round
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • DTM_DerrickDTM_Derrick Posts: 26 Member
    > @CK213 said:
    > I will probably just use curved walls for this series of homes and maybe a Victorian turret.
    > I don't plan to do anything elaborate with them.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My main issue is the janky effects they have on ceilings.

Very nice!
    mp2itdbfrjnh.gif
  • GalisilGalisil Posts: 15 New Member
    I tried building a quarter room and found roof placement very tricky (but I am never very good with roofs anyway). Have to be careful with room closure too. At some point a corridor I made that connects to the quarter room were not recognised by the game as a room.
    But I would say curved wall is still a nice addition.
    I do find the choices of doors and windows applicable to curved walls quite limited though.

> @mightysprite said:
    > straight walls fit best if they are in the places that cut the circle in half or quarters.

I am somewhat disappointed by this. I tried bisecting the quarter room but found out the game does not allow it.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

Remember, the game thinks they are straight or diagonal walls even though they looked curved. :wink:
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    It's not so bad. Just have to make sure to have some internal straight walls on the inside. I've made 3 circle homes so far. I only play vanilla & I'm not the best build at all, but I've always had an eye when it came to shapes & designs. :p
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, after playing around with curved walls, I really have to remind myself that it's not "curved walls" but "curved ROOMS".
    Just sticking a curved dividing wall to chop a room in half is way more fiddly than I expected. I'm hoping that with time the ceiling glitches can be ironed out, and the ability to use the convex side of the wall to make S-shaped structures might be less problematic.
    • Spiral staircases
    • Quarter circle roofs
    Yes please.

What would be good is a tool that converts a diagonal wall section to a curve. You just click on it, click the wall section and then choose the side you want to have the main wall arc pass through. In effect you would be choosing if the curve looks like a lower case R or J. Make it work on three, four or five tile long wall sections.

I have found that @KateEmerald's recent videos on YouTube about curved structures are really informative. Her curved mansion is jaw-droppingly good.
    Post edited by StuffyMarx on