Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need help with S4 Studio / Blender (want to remove relief)

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
In the past I only used S4 Studio for adding swatches or adjusting tags. So, I am totally green with Blender etc.

Now I wanted to make a recolor of one wall plaque (retail business) and created a stand alone object for my use. I set it to be available from catalog, and all is fine. Until I see it in game, and notice the original motif can still be seen as a 3D relief.

In Studio I see there are 3 meshes, Dropshadow 2/4, Phong 106/172 and PhongAlpha 18/36.
I understand I will need Blender to export/open those meshes, but after installing Blender and open those 3 files, I really don't see which one is creating the 3D relief, and how I can adjust it. I assume the effect can be turned off or the 3D mesh can be flattened, but I need some assistance in order to do this. I'm sure it's a quick task for anyone familiar with it, I'm just not seeing what I need to do :)

Here's a picture of the object I'm trying to fix (want to get rid of the shopping basket and stars that can still be seen as a 3D relief.

20220724.jpg
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2022
    That is the bump map (or normal map) causing that overlay effect.

You don't need blender to open the file up, it's a texture.

If you go to the warehouse tab, look for the DST files on the left, there should be 6
    • 3 are for the diffuse image (one for your image, one for the Normal Map, one for the Specular Map)
    • 3 are for the glass (one for the glass texture, one for the Normal Map and one is for the Specular Map)
    hkfc2n4.png
    • Diffuse Map is the "texture" you're replacing
    • Normal map gives objects that are flat a 3D appearance
    • Specular map gives items a shine or matte appearance

The easiest way to get rid of that overlayed "bump" is to replace that DST image with a blank one.

(You can download them from S4S, at the top of this link)
    https://sims4studio.com/thread/1079/get-eas-bump-specular-maps

If you click one of the DST files in the Warehouse tab of S4S you will get a preview of it, so you can tell what is what
    sggFM9C.png
    • Download the Blank Normal Map
    • Make sure you have the correct DST file highlighted on the left (in this example, it would be the 2nd one)
    • At the bottom right, click the IMPORT BUTTON
    • Find the location you saved the Blank Normal Map on your PC to Import it like you do with textures
    • Save Package
    VZS8aal.png

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Wow and thanks @Chicklet453681 ! This was very helpful, and thanks for taking the time to write all this in detail! I managed to replace those two files needed, and the relief details are gone, yay!

You just made my day - thanks a lot! :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Awesome! So glad you fixed it! And no problem at all, I spend a big portion of my RL work days writing instructions (including pics) every week so I'm used to "showing" how to do something. LOL