Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is resetting back a save cheating?

Hi all, in an old save of mine I accidentally double aged up a Sim, so I used cheats to de-age them, I then decided that I wasn't comfortable with this, so I reset the save back to before I cheat aged down the Sim. But I was curious, is it considered cheating to reset a save back to a previous save file? Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    You shouldn't to worry about it, it's your game, your save, you should play it however you like.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    Going to agree with @Ray_Trace here. The Sims can be whatever you want it to be. Look at all the conversations people have about how they play: spending most of their time in build mode or spending it all in live mode, whether mods are integral to the experience or if they don't use them at all, the difference between short lifespan or never aging, the existence of occults, the importance of legacies, rotational play...

There's no "right" way to play the Sims.
  • Options
    Garfieldwxg55Garfieldwxg55 Posts: 76 Member
    Thanks for the feedback all, I was just curious what the general consensus on the matter was, but from the sounds of it doesn’t sound like there is one…
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    If the game has a bug that ages your sim up it's definitly not cheating to go back to a previous save. sims are played in so many ways, and there isn't really a way that is considered "cheating"
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    It's not cheating to load an older save when a trapped chest kills one of your party members in an rpg. Or if reinforcements catch you unaware in a tactics game. So why should The Sims be different?
    After reverting to the point before the trap/ambush happened you are better prepared for what awaits you and can make smarter decisions. Accepting everything as it comes without loading previous savestates is ironman playstyle, but I'd call that a challenge, not the default.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I don't think using a cheat code or resetting a save to fix a bug that happened (or a small mistake like clicking on the birthday cake twice) is cheating. If you're playing a specific challenge, then look at the rules for that, anything that goes against those rules would be cheating. But if you're just doing freeplay or scenarios there's not a right or wrong way to play. :D
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,083 Member
    I don't re-set back but i have been known to retcon events in the event of MCCC story progression or Neighbourhood Stories going crazy during story telling.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    The Sims ain't a game that you win at with preset rules you have to follow. It's your game and your win is set by your own rules and parameters. And in my opinion, it's definitely not cheating by go to an earlier save. Especially correcting changes you did and now find that you don't like.

This is your story. Your creation.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    The only possible reason I could even imagine for it mattering at all would be if you were (1) playing a challenge save (2) with clear and established rules about that sort of thing, set by the challenge creator and (3) most importantly, you were playing in some sort of real life competition with other players to win real life awards or prizes.

Short of that, who cares? It's entirely up to you.

That being said, most of us have our own highly personal operating instructions. For example, I use freerealestate regularly when creating new households, but I never use money cheats to give my sims extra money. (I've only used money cheats a handful of times ever, mostly to take money away for a rags to riches household.) They are functionally the same, but I have my reasons for differentiating. But that's just my personal choice.
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    It's one thing if you plan to do something and keep rolling back a save until you get it right. (Usually when there's some random event and you just have to make sure it comes out the right way.) It's another if you have a bug or an honest mistake that you want to take back. Even challenges are pretty open about letting you cheat to fix things in case of a bug.

And as mentioned, if it's a single player game, do whatever you feel like doing with it. You don't get any bragging rights if you have a bajillion simoleans because you cheated them all in, but if you want to tell the story of a wealthy heiress then starting her with money is just fine.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    This feels exactly the same as when players ask if it is OK to save without exit if something bad happens in the game. And the answer is also the same : it is up to the player. The sims is not a competitive game, there is no end goal and no scoring. The only rule against going back to a previous save would be one you impose on yourself.

The only reason against going back to a previous save is if you are playing a challenge with set rules. If you want to share your score or or post some kind of result, you have to stick to the rules. But if you only play for your own enjoyment, it is up to you if you strictly follow the rules or just use them as a base guide line.

Personally, I would have no problem with going back to a previous version in my own game. The only cheats I avoid are the ones that give my sims extra progression like money cheats, job promotions, skills cheats,.. My sims have to earn all those things. The only exception is the free realestate cheat (big or expensive buildings but low on furniture) . But my sims rarely move houses so having high bills from the start can even be seen as a handicap when they have no job or skills. And those sims obviously are not allowed to earn money by selling furniture.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    It might make for an interesting scenario wherein all cheat codes were disabled and save was only 'save' no 'save as' and no backups, with no mods or CC.
    - A hard mode challenge basically.

But that's not how the game normally works.

I do think a lot of people might find such a challenge mode interesting to try though. Not myself as I'm more of a story-mode player. But the people who want there to be more game-challenge would get a thrill out of it; especially if you could combine that with other difficulties of scenarios as well, and have your progress in it announced on your gallery page or something.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    This isn't a game that can only be played online, where they would have rules for cheating and such, so whether it is considered cheating is completely up to you and any rules you might place on yourself.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2022
    Hi all, in an old save of mine I accidentally double aged up a Sim, so I used cheats to de-age them, I then decided that I wasn't comfortable with this, so I reset the save back to before I cheat aged down the Sim. But I was curious, is it considered cheating to reset a save back to a previous save file? Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

I wouldn't because it is what it is a save, saving you from making mistakes as long as you did back it up.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    No. I've had to do it numerous times, in fact I've even done the game save recovery thing. I had a very strange incident in my Main Save, once. The kids in the family were now school age and I decided to have their mother pack sack lunches for them. (This was something that wasn't working ages ago, so I had stopped doing it.) Since some time had passed, I decided to give this interaction another try. Well, she was very busy making peanut butter sandwiches for her four children, (which was taking forever, btw) when suddenly I had the music that cues you a sad even was or had taken place. Then I looked at my Sim. She was still hard at work getting those lunches ready, but in her row of moodlets she had the broken heart from losing the love of her life. Say, what? I had sent her husband out to the back yard to take care of their chickens. I decided to move the camera there. What I found was a Tombstone in the chicken yard. The camera didn't pull me over to the moment he was dying, like normal, and I was clueless besides broken-hearted myself. After creating a thread to seek opinions on what to do, since I saw this as a complete and total glitch. I rolled back a save and this time followed him, instead of leaving the camera on his wife. I found him in a very unusual position. He was pressed into the stone fence and his chickens were very angry.

Since there wasn't even a chance of pleading for his life, I did a game save recovery to replay that day. Happily, things played out differently and I was able to carry on with the save.

I don't see this as cheating at all. In fact, the Starlight Accolades Show simply stopped working at one point in my save. (Turned out to be a particular mod that was causing the havoc). But I had to exit without saving a few times before it worked again. (This after I did a game repair and a Game Folder Refresh.) Once I removed the mod in question, the glitch stopped happening.

It's like anything else. If doing so makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it. If you realize this game isn't about a contest and there's no way to win, so you're not hurting anyone if you fix things that go wrong, then roll back. I won't judge you and I doubt anyone else will.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    Eh, there is no cheating in a game that is entirely based on your imagination and your "dreams" for your sim babies!

Heck, if there was? I'd be in a world of trouble because I cheat the heck out of everything! My game style is? Start over! I love to recreate all my worlds and all my townies. I do this almost as soon as I'm done, I start it all over again. I just enjoy making things, lots and sims. I cheat all the townies. I cheat their skills, their career levels, their university degrees, their relationships. Imagine having to play through over 150 sims. GAH! I'd rage quit with how many issues this game has.

I've discovered a play style that works for me and I avoid the frustration of all the bugs. I will play the new world with my favorite sim for about a sim month. Get bored. Start the process all over again. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    As others said, this game is what you make it. I’m a story player, and I never play with everyone at 0. At the start of a game, I set everyone up the way it should be at the start of my story. If someone is supposed to be rich, I cheat money in. If I need them in a big house, I give it to them. If they need certain skills, I cheat those in. And all adults start with basic cooking and life skills, because I’m sure their mommas weren’t taking care of them all this time. If something goes terribly wrong, I exit without saving and take a do over. It’s your game. There are no rules. Do what makes you happy.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    You can't win Sims, so there's really no "cheating". Set your own rules.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member

I would say no! Every challenge I've ever done, even the ones that are strict, make allowances for mistakes and bugs. I'd say accidentally aging up a sim twice would count as a mistake you can't really recover from without going back a save. Even if someone thinks it is, its your game love! Play it your way. The goal here is to have fun with your game. Forget what anyone else thinks!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    No I don’t think so. I actually sped up time in my game so that I could get my sim graduated from high school cause I didn’t know how it worked and I didn’t want to wait another week 🤣
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Add me to the list that say it's perfectly fine to do. You purchased the game. It's yours. Play it however you want.

We play games like The Sims for enjoyment. If something that happens in the game isn't fun, I often revert to a previous save and let things unfold differently. I invariably do so if a bug creates an outcome I don't like. I've never played The Sims with anything at stake except fun--even challenges are playful--so I don't hesitate to reset as many times as I want.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    You can't win Sims, so there's really no "cheating". Set your own rules.

Completely agree. There’s no real victory or loss in the game. Just have fun with your own rules!