Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE: New Statement on Modding Rules

Comments

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2022
    I came across 3-4 modders who put out statements that they are "retiring" now, and this is just within the last few days .... not sure if the statement by EA has anything to do with it or if this just "nail in the coffin" for them, as one creator put it.

Modding has to be so very stressful and exhausting! The sims community is extremely demanding, always harassing modders on when something will be updated, can they add this, can they remove that, can they change it to this way, etc etc etc. They forget that these modders do this in their free time, they actually do have lives outside of "The Sims", they get sick, they take vacations or holidays, they have families to take care of, etc.

I have never created a "mod" but I have made Build Buy CC for years. Luckily most people are not demanding or requesting too much stuff when it comes to CC items, besides making suggestions so it's a lot less stressful. Plus, I have never allowed it to become another "forced obligation" I need to do. I create when I'm bored of the game or when I come across something that I would like in my game and I share it. I work full time in RL and I have a LOT of responsibilities taking care of my family, I don't want my creative outlet hobby to become a chore that I end up hating.

When Modding/CC creating no longer is enjoyable, something such as this where they now may not even get compensated for the time/effort they put in to maintaining/updating, creating new mods, it's sort of to be expected that some people will decide to move on.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I actually made a mod before, though not for Sims and it was for personal use as I was just testing things. Let me tell ya- it's NOT easy. If someone paid me to do it, that would be the only reason to try it again.

All my mod did was add a bunch of extra stuff to pick up at the beginning of the game, as I really didn't know how to do much else.
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    It seems like over on the Broken mods thread several modders are already on their way out.

Many of the modders have been quitting lately but those haven't been due to this policy because it predates the policy change. Arnie, for instance, has quit modding so that he can build his own business.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2022
    Re. the two modders I posted about in my thread who retired from modding in the last couple of days -- both were considering retiring from modding well before this update.

For many modders, the reason to retire from modding is that they're plain exhausted. They're tired of updating mods, and they're tired of dealing with often very pushy, entitled players. After a while it's not fun anymore, regardless of what income they get.

I also want to add that many, many modders have never used early access or paywalls. Some of those accept donations or have a patron where the access you get isn't to early mod versions but to decision making, sneak previews, or prioritized support. Some have ads on their page, and EA is fine with those under the stated policy.

For modders with complex mods, a concern right now is how to release a test version of a mod to a smaller group of people and get meaningful feedback. Some were using an early-access structure for that, and depending on how this plays out with what clarifications can be given (and please note that EA's legal department might have issues a directive not to do that, and to let the statement -- which mirrors what is in the terms of service -- stand on its own), will need to find a new structure that works within what's permitted or will need to give up on using Simmers as beta testers.

If you want to support creators, please be kind to them. Don't bug them to clear their mods after a patch. Don't ask them when something will be fixed or updated. I know those things can be done politely, but the added pressure to perform is stressful. Donate when you can, without expectation of getting special access in return -- in most mod communities, this is the norm.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    WhubbleWhubble Posts: 62 Member
    I personally don't acquire content from modders who have their content behind permanent paywalls anymore. I found that the value of the content just isn't worth it. All modders I use either offer free content or offer early access to their content for paying customers. That being said, and I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I pay for that content because I like the content, NOT because I get content early. I hope everyone continues to support the modders and creators who followed the rules even if you don't get early access.
    The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
    My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Hey all,

The Sims 4 Mod Policy has been updated today which clarifies the following point:

Note, The Sims recognizes that creating Mods takes time and resources. To recoup these development costs, Mod developers may:
    • Offer an early access incentive for a reasonable amount of time. After a reasonable early access period, all users must be able to access the Mods in full for free regardless of whether they donate.
    • Run passive advertisements and requests for donations so long as they are limited to the Mod website or distribution site, and do not appear within the Mod itself.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited August 2022
    Update to mod policy.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/mods-and-the-sims-4-game-updates/

Note,

The Sims recognizes that creating Mods takes time and resources. To recoup these development costs, Mod developers may:

Offer an early access incentive for a reasonable amount of time. After a reasonable early access period, all users must be able to access the Mods in full for free regardless of whether they donate.

Run passive advertisements and requests for donations so long as they are limited to the Mod website or distribution site, and do not appear within the Mod itself.
  • Options
    Update to mod policy.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/mods-and-the-sims-4-game-updates/

Note,

The Sims recognizes that creating Mods takes time and resources. To recoup these development costs, Mod developers may:

Offer an early access incentive for a reasonable amount of time. After a reasonable early access period, all users must be able to access the Mods in full for free regardless of whether they donate.

Run passive advertisements and requests for donations so long as they are limited to the Mod website or distribution site, and do not appear within the Mod itself.

I finally beat you ;)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    That's awesome news! I'm glad that the early access period will still be an option for modders.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,922 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »

I finally beat you ;)

Haha, you have some kind of contest?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »

I finally beat you ;)

Haha, you have some kind of contest?

I know when these articles are dropping and she still beats me to posting them here EVERY TIME.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    @simgirl1010 has superpowers!
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    What is a "reasonable amount of time?" A week? A month? A year? Reasonable to some may not be so to others. Ambiguity will just cause more discord, IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Lol. By a minute. 😄 @EA_Cade please delete my post.
  • Options
    Lol. By a minute. 😄 @EA_Cade please delete my post.

Oh absolutely not. I'm printing this and framing it.
  • Options
    Haha. 😄
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Love you guys :D
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    What is a "reasonable amount of time?" A week? A month? A year? Reasonable to some may not be so to others. Ambiguity will just cause more discord, IMO.

Great question! I was searching everywhere on the forms for this response.
  • Options
    Plaidisrad_123Plaidisrad_123 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @CarpeNocheSims said:
    > What is a "reasonable amount of time?" A week? A month? A year? Reasonable to some may not be so to others. Ambiguity will just cause more discord, IMO.
    >
    >

I agree. A length of time needs to be specified or it is a system that will certainly be taken advantage of as well as arguments. Just look at the discourse that happened over if early access was included or not when the word donation was used.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    That's good news to hear. I think allowing modders to offer early access will encourage and help them, I don't think relying on donations would have worked for some talented mod and cc creators out there.

I know that there are people who might think different... I believe that best way to stop people locking content behind a paywall is to not use their content, there are plenty of modders and content creators out there who are following the rules and I hope that we are able to reach a solution that will work for everyone.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    MzB06 wrote: »

Great question! I was searching everywhere on the forms for this response.

I think it's clear enough. There needs to be some flexibility. A specific number of days would have too many people harassing CC/mod creators who are a day late. The community already turned vicious by reporting and sending nasty messsges to creators who do early access and made EA release a second statement. I think people would do best to let EA police its own policy. If they make CC/mods themselves, they know that a few weeks of early access is fine. If they want to test EA by trying to push "reasonable" to its limits, they do so at their own risk.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Updated the post accordingly to the new information :) Glad to see creators will still be able to do early access
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

I would assume it means back to the 3 week rule that it's always been, although I think that number should definitely be edited in just to avoid people taking advantage of it being more vague
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Not what SixamCC does.... And I just saw he removed the perma-paywall cc from his site so it looks like all his content is free.....