Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should Having Multiple Spouses Be an Option?

Comments

• mikepapaycikmikepapaycik Posts: 82 Member
    You can do this is you have MCCC
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    You can do this is you have MCCC

Yes but most simmers won't that in the game from the start plus console players can't use mods.
  • SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    Lots of folks here have never taken an anthropology class and it shows. Polyamory is practiced in lots of different ways. It doesn't offend or worry me in the slightest (since I know that "monogamous" humans aren't truly monogamous...The best humans can manage is serial monogamy.)
  • bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
    I dont want polygamy in the game...like why?
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I'm not sure why some of you are being so obtuse about this, so let me make it as clear and simple as possible.

(1) There are some things that the community finds so unacceptable that they are not allowed in the game. Therefore, there is a line.

(2) Different simmers will have different opinions about where that line is.

(3) For me, that line is such that I would not be comfortable with polygamy in the game. I have explained why I feel that way. You are welcome to listen to what I have said, or not, but you're not going to convince me with "it's just a videogame."

(4) For other people, the line is somewhere else. For some people, apparently there's no line.

(5) We will obviously never agree about where that line is.

(6) EA has to make a business decision about where to keep that line. I would imagine that they would want to hear various perspectives to help them make that decision.

That's it, that is literally all it boils down to.

What? Not allowed as WHO find unacceptable?
    Gurus allowed:
    a whole career of villany, even a tittle at University
    Same sex marriage
    Gender customization (than is trans people and others non-binary)
    Pronouns
    Have baby by science way, and allow it for single parent

Then why no polygamy?
    Why it would make the game M and no villany or same sex marriage or make a trans sim?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    B):D:p;) I was able to do that in my vanilla play.
    My Cleopatra sim can be married to both her Roman Hubbies at the same time. However, in CAS it only shows she’s married to one of them & only engaged to the other.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2023
    leo3487 wrote: »

I'm not sure why some of you are being so obtuse about this, so let me make it as clear and simple as possible.

(1) There are some things that the community finds so unacceptable that they are not allowed in the game. Therefore, there is a line.

(3) For me, that line is such that I would not be comfortable with polygamy in the game. I have explained why I feel that way. You are welcome to listen to what I have said, or not, but you're not going to convince me with "it's just a videogame."

(4) For other people, the line is somewhere else. For some people, apparently there's no line.

(6) EA has to make a business decision about where to keep that line. I would imagine that they would want to hear various perspectives to help them make that decision.

Gurus allowed:
    Same sex marriage
    Pronouns

Then why no polygamy?
    Why it would make the game M and no villany or same sex marriage or make a trans sim?

I see you stopped reading at #1 and just completely skipped over points 2 through 6.

I'll make it really simple and easy for you: I said everyone draws the line SOMEWHERE. EA has to make a business decision about where to draw that line.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited March 2023
    leo3487 wrote: »

Gurus allowed:
    Same sex marriage
    Pronouns

Then why no polygamy?

I see you stopped reading at #1 and just completely skipped over points 2 through 6.

I'll make it really simple and easy for you: I said everyone draws the line SOMEWHERE. EA has to make a business decision about where to draw that line.

Where they did it?
    Most acceptable by USA laws and USA society
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited April 2023
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have had polyamorous friends in real life, but I am not interested in this lifestyle for myself.

In the game, it seems confusing to say adding polygamy would be for inclusivity. More people practice religions than are in polyamorous and/or polygamous relationships, yet we don’t get religion in the game, ostensibly because it’s too controversial. Yet polyamory and polygamy seem to be just as controversial.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I would love it. I honestly don't know why the game makes it so difficult for something like ethical polyamory to exist in game without mods or cheats. And then you can't be married to multiple people.
    But if you want to just wreck relationships, lie, cheat, etc, that's literally all fine. Like I'm not saying take that out. Play how you want.

But then don't turn around and be like oh no your happy non-hierarchical poly unit that wants to marry eachother and raise the kids, nope. Also everyone should be jealous.
    Like the only trait that supports multiple relationships is literally called "Player" and if you don't cheat it, one of the requirements is to cheat.
    Then they not only upped how jealous sims get, they released a trait for it. And now there's a Loyal trait. And that one literally only recognizes monogamous relationships, as if loyalty can only be given once.
    It's like how you can only have 1 bff unless you use a mod.
    This whole game has weird ideas on how you're allowed to feel and form relationships. While at the same time saying the fact that You felt and formed them supercedes anything that preceeded so go ahead and break up anything that came before. If you're going to give freedom, give poly freedom too. And own up to your other promises for the lgbtqia+ community while you're at it.

Tldr: Yes make it possible for polyamory to exist ethically in game, including marriage, raising a family, the whole shebang.

You don't have to get rid of the stuff you have now it can be used for other gameplay. Maybe you actually Want a sim who is a player. But it'd be nice just to have a sim who could be poly.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited April 2023
    No, thank you. I’m fine with my sims being monogamous :lol:
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited April 2023
    @LSM36 I don't have any thoughts on the subject at the moment. But, you might like to know that you can have more than one BFF now. They added it in a patch.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I have had polyamorous friends in real life, but I am not interested in this lifestyle for myself.

In the game, it seems confusing to say adding polygamy would be for inclusivity. More people practice religions than are in polyamorous and/or polygamous relationships, yet we don’t get religion in the game, ostensibly because it’s too controversial. Yet polyamory and polygamy seem to be just as controversial.

I'd say the difference is polyamory has never been used to oppress anyone. In fact the majority of hatred and "moral opposition" to polyamory comes from religious oppression.

Religion is divisive not out of some abstract idea of religion, but because of the things the followers of those religions have done, the things they have made into their tenets, and the ways it has been used to bring power to certain movements and in some cases itself.

If your argument against polyamory is your religion, or morality code that is based on said religion, and then you go forth and seek to call it bad, shut it out from society, and even being reflected in things like media and games, that is leveraging both power and position to oppress and it's coming in part from your religion. Though there are likely additional factors to you and society tied in with that, that may have been further affected.

Polyamory can't do that. Can it turn around and go, "ooh X religion is so bad it's morally abject," and get it blocked? No. It's literally just people who are capable of loving/liking/being truly interested in more than one person at a time. And sustaining that. In comparison to someone who can only do that with 1 individual at once, a monoamorous person. Monogamous just means that when you actually pair you choose to do it with 1 person at a time.
    But this community can't even use the term polygamy because it was wrecked by people saying their religion told them to do this, and other people's religion saying they were false. And no one involved actually just loving and being capable of being in healthy relationships with multiple people. So it's not legal as another simmer kept commenting earlier.

But if we're talking morals it'd be much more harmful to truly bring religion in fully with it's history of discord into a game about life, than just to give people the option to love who they want.

Options don't mean you have to take them. If someone handed you a candied scorpion and it was edible, and they said it tastes good if you want some you can have some. Would you have to eat it? No. It was an offer. You could leave it alone. Someone who likes that will eat it. To some of you the idea of polyamory might be as off-putting as a candied scorpion, you can't help but think it might hurt you in some way shape or form.

And you'd never see that it's not even a real scorpion, the shape of it just scared you. Nor that even if the taste isn't for you, someone else might really like it. But you're ready to tell the shop to never offer those to anyone just so you feel comfortable. And if they're thinking about offering those how come they didn't do this other thing?
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    @LSM36 I don't have any thoughts on the subject at the moment. But, you might like to know that you can have more than one BFF now. They added it in a patch.

Omg what I've been using the mods More Best Friends. It's so stressful to be asked by ppl close to the sim, turn them down bc you can only have 1 and get bad sentiments. How many came in the patch?
    LSM36 wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »

Omg what I've been using the mods More Best Friends. It's so stressful to be asked by ppl close to the sim, turn them down bc you can only have 1 and get bad sentiments. How many came in the patch?

No idea. My Sim currently has 3.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,031 Member
    I personally do not mind polyamory being in game. I can choose to use it or not, just as I can choose to make my sim a criminal or not. It might not be for me, but that shouldn't dictate other people's games.

As for religion we actually have it in game 'even if it doesn't specify which religion. The marriage rituals, the holidays in game, the attend holiday ceremony... I would gladly add more religions in game, though I do prefer if they're not specified as to which one. That way I can create my own made up religion(s) if I feel like it, or just leave it be if that is what I prefer. But then I am very much the kind who thinks things should be up to players.

And yes, I get that there has to be lines drawn and decisions made, but as long as it involves adult sims I'm good with almost anything. With that said, I get if this is not priority number 1 (or 5000 for that matter as there are about that many bugs to fix), but I don't think it should be ruled out just because it might offend someone.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
    edited April 2023
    Maybe not marriage but let the sims decide if their relationship is ok or not instead of being a moral corruption.
    Even in this scenario they can still be able to be jealous (significant other who is not a part of this relationship).

We shouldn't have to use Player reward trait or Free Love NAP to allow it.

Same as Woohoo Partner, they could ask to become Polyamorous Partners.

what-h10.jpg

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I would not want this feature to be added.
    edited April 2023
    I know the marriage is only "valid" until death but a widow/widower sim can have several spouses (ghosts).

Death doesn't mean that they don't love each other anymore. It's a kind of polygamy/polyamory.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    I actually have a Cleopatra household that is married to her "Great Caesar's Ghost" & Mark Anthony. It actually shows up in gameplay that she has two spouses. :D:p (Only Vanilla player)
    I've saved them in the Gallery along with the new babies under my username SEREFRAS for any simmer to check out. And please, if you like them let me know. ;)
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I actually have a Cleopatra household that is married to her "Great Caesar's Ghost" & Mark Anthony. It actually shows up in gameplay that she has two spouses. :D:p (Only Vanilla player)
    I've saved them in the Gallery along with the new babies under my username SEREFRAS for any simmer to check out. And please, if you like them let me know. ;)

Would they still show up as married if you resurrect the ghost? Would the living spouse be jealous of the ghost and can you cheat on one with the other?
    My "Great Caesar's Ghost is still apart of the household. And no, Caesar's not jealous of Mark Anthony being also married to Cleopatra.
    I made sure that the guys were Uncle & Nephew & good friends with each other. :p;)
    edited April 2023
    Maybe not marriage but let the sims decide if their relationship is ok or not instead of being a moral corruption.
    We shouldn't have to use Player reward trait or Free Love NAP to allow it.
    Same as Woohoo Partner, they could ask to become Polyamorous Partners.

I had to cheat and give the "player" trait to both Sims in one of my couples because they both liked to flirt with other Sims autonomously, and it was making their relationship drop dramatically. I have a Sim who doesn't have a romantic partner, just a few woohoo partners. I haven't had any issues with her yet, so maybe when they aren't romantic it doesn't happen?

But, regardless, it would be nice to have some kind of option to make these situations easier. Like "no jealousy" from Sims 3. Having that reward trait back would do it. I loved that one so much that I downloaded a mod for it in Sims 2.
    edited April 2023
    Teens and young adults are probably more likely to try a polyamorous relationship than adults and elders.

It's almost a part of exploring and self-understanding, trying to figure out what love is.