Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited July 2022
    I agree with you @haisin
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    I can see that they don't have the time to add tons of wants/fears for every past DLC, but I really think they should support their own new feature by adding at least 1-2 wants/fears per past pack. I'd be happy with ie "fear of dogs" + "fear of cats" for Cats&Dogs ep. If that would be too complex to program, then just a small "fear of vet clinics" just to show us that this is meant to be a world wide feature, better than the whims thing. More could be added later.

By doing this EA would show us that they stands behind their own new addition, and that it was not intended to be a half baked mini thing that most will get bored with in a few game sessions.

Without a clear word that they will support all (or at least most) past packs, they should rather keep a new feature to the new High School Years pack, and leaving us to desire or deny. Now it seems we get a touch, lose anything re whims, and are left with a feeling that wants/fears was never meant to be a great thing.
    I think if they couldn't do it properly, they shouldn't have done it at all. What we have now is worse that what we had before. I don't see the point of adding a wants-based system if you're not going to actually do the work of adding the wants. The game is just going to be shallow. If wants are supposed to be partly trait-based and there are traits in EP and GPs, then those traits should be covered or else Sims with those traits won't have proper wants. EA is also a huge company. If they wanted to do it right, they could have.

I completely agree, if they are going to do it, do it right at least. They should have been more transparent. That tweet from the guru seemed to suggest it would cover all packs not just base game.

My sim now has dreams apparently of listening to new age 24/7. And when that can’t happen she gets unfulfilled dreams fears. Except she’s not meant to be that shallow and one dimensional

I play with wants and wishes to give my sims personality and character. It’s one of the reasons I struggle with sims 4 because whims were useless. Wants are just ridiculous. She could have wants relating to her degree, she could have wants relating to university and fears but she doesn’t. Instead she dreams of listening to a radio station. It’s another thing I have to pretend.

All my perfectionist Sims want to do anymore is get focused.
  • jmac2727jmac2727 Posts: 306 Member
    Wants.... A working game
    Fears.... The status quo
  • kathrynmarienkathrynmarien Posts: 239 Member
    I've turned them off (for now). I'm currently playing with eight sims attending University and living on campus. Because wants/fears don't reflect additional packs, they were constantly angry/sad about "unfilled dreams" as I prioritized university tasks above what they wanted. It would be awesome if they wanted to complete their homework, take a selfie with the mascot, give a final presentation, etc., and feared missing class, failing a course, or anything university related, but instead, they want to spend a $1000 and find collectibles. I'll likely turn them on once everyone's graduated and I've rotated back to a regular household.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member

So my sim tends to get Tense before work because she doesn't want to fail and she wants to get recognized at work for doing a good job so I have a couple of options I can click when she's a work to try and get good feedback. That seems pretty cool to me. If she doesn't do that, then by the time she's home from work the Tense moodlet is gone.

My Sim gets scared when the sun goes down. It's not affecting much, but she's scared. She wants to be confident. So I can psych myself up in a mirror or do whatever project for confidence. Or I can do another activity that lets me ignore the scared feeling.

It seems pretty interesting so far, and having a werewolf character that's scared of the dark is fun to me, but does this stay with the Sim for the life of the character, or do Fears fall off and get replaced? Anyone know yet?
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,657 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    Do snob sims still want to drink a glass of nectar? I guess that was Dine Out related whim. I also have a sim who often wanted to do herbalism related stuff. I guess that is gone too. My sims often played in leaf piles, built snow pals and made snowangels because they had whims like that. I liked it. I don't understand why those whims couldn't just be converted to wants. They shouldn't be taken away :disappointed:

I played briefly before work and one of my chefs got a want to "Eat and learn an experimental meal". It at least acknowledges the existence of a pack even though it was a base game aspiration that spawned that want. I'm not as down on the wants as most are, but the longer I play the more I feel like shutting it off just like I did with whims once the novelty wears off. The wants I've seen my sims get have meshed with their careers and traits, but they haven't added much either.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »

So my sim tends to get Tense before work because she doesn't want to fail and she wants to get recognized at work for doing a good job so I have a couple of options I can click when she's a work to try and get good feedback. That seems pretty cool to me. If she doesn't do that, then by the time she's home from work the Tense moodlet is gone.

My Sim gets scared when the sun goes down. It's not affecting much, but she's scared. She wants to be confident. So I can psych myself up in a mirror or do whatever project for confidence. Or I can do another activity that lets me ignore the scared feeling.

It seems pretty interesting so far, and having a werewolf character that's scared of the dark is fun to me, but does this stay with the Sim for the life of the character, or do Fears fall off and get replaced? Anyone know yet?

Once they achieve a want they can talk about the fear to another sim and that gets rid of the fear. In my experience you don’t get a new fear right away. I’ve only had the one fear four times.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    To be honest I'm not surprised at all! This is what they always say about content they add. They add a little and never come back to add more. After 8 years of the sims 4 no one should ever be disappointed but expect the worst.
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I was excited when it was announced but I tried it for a few hours last night and it just felt like having whims you couldn't cancel. Most of my sims "wants" didn't feel particularly appropriate to her personality and she never had a single fear. Honestly I don't see the point of random thoughts telling me that my sim may want to listen to music or play video games since she does that anyway if I have autonomy switched on. This new feature just feels like a rebranded version of whims, so for that reason I'm keeping it switched off.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited July 2022
    The wants are about as useless as the whims - although some of them are ok, like my kid brother wants to spend a lot of time with his little sister and that's cute. But mostly they're not super interesting.

My teenage sim had a fear of not amounting to anything (fear of the future or something, i don't recall) which I actually really liked. She had it at the same time as wanting to be alone (parenthood) so she was a super moody teenager and I can relate to that :p
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I turned off Fears and wants- I doubt I am going back until further notice.
  • _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member
    I’m so mad. Toddlers have like 2 wants and they’re just “be funny with parent” and “be friendly with parent”. They seemingly have no fears.
    I’ve had the same fear 3 times which is fear of a dead end job with a sim who is literally at the max of her career.
    And the only wants my male sim gets is to “listen to pop” “listen to metal” “listen to focus”
    I’m gonna end up not giving my sims any music preferences now.

I miss whims.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I really have to wonder when the wants will get updated. Things are released buggy & likes and dislikes are still missing a ton of pack-exclusive features over a year later. Love to be proven wrong, but I don't have confidence that wants and fears will be sufficient any time soon.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2022
    MissyHissy already said that she is working toward converting her (excellent) custom whims mod into Wants, so at least there's that.

I do think that Wants & Fears in TS4 is a really good feature and welcome addition for sim-driven gameplay players, it's just that there's not enough of them to make it good... YET. I'm fairly positive that with MissyHissy's mods, it's going to be a blast to play with.

I feel bad however for console players who get the short end of the stick now.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    MissyHissy already said that she is working toward converting her (excellent) custom whims mod into Wants, so at least there's that.

I do think that Wants & Fears in TS4 is a really good feature and welcome addition for sim-driven gameplay players, it's just that there's not enough of them to make it good... YET. I'm fairly positive that with MissyHissy's mods, it's going to be a blast to play with.

I feel bad however for console players who get the short end of the stick now.

That is super wonderful to hear! I knew that a modder would eventually come along and fix it which is exactly what I was hoping for and waiting on before I update so thanks for that update!
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    Played for a few hours last night. My son got invited to hang out a few hours before prom. A fire broke out and my sim got the fear of fire. Sounds about right! I think this feature is in basic stage but I think it could be really great. Perhaps fears could start to take down satisfaction points already earned until the fear moodlet is dealt with. That way there is some consequence.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    Well, got the "Volunteer with Family" want.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2022
    According to a CC creator on twitter there actually are expansion pack wants in the code, up to Get Famous I think.

No idea if they are used though (and why if they are not.).
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited July 2022
    Darren wrote: »
    According to a CC creator on twitter there actually are expansion pack wants in the code, up to Get Famous I think.

Why are all of these wants "Do X"? Those were honestly some of the most boring wants in the Sims 2. It's important to have SOME quick action wants depending on the context of where your Sim is, but ideally, wants should be more involved than these! Wow...
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Darren wrote: »

According to SimGuruGeorge, only Basegame and the new EP wants were added because they ran out of time and they could add more with upcoming packs if it makes sense.

• jmac2727jmac2727 Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2022
    When you hear "they ran out of time" ... it kind of clears up why there are so many bugs... obviously this was rushed out the door huh?

*edit* Half finished features + tons of bugs ='s rushed..... I think so anyway
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Very long sigh
    Well, I thought this month I could finally update (Behind patches) but besides the bugs, this is game breaking for me personally.

Not trying to be a drama llama but it has been my play style for years in each sims game, I even have a mod ( Beinchen sp?) that I cannot play without, welp just wanted to join in on the mostly disappointed crowd.

I am not surprised about this quarter-baked feature but still don’t think it is acceptable.
  • babygirl576babygirl576 Posts: 8 New Member
    For me the wants and fears don't work. I have nothing above their head. I do get moody because of unfulfilled dreams but I have no idea what her dream is because I can't see her wants. Any ideas would help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top