Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims Mobile split up The Sims' fan base?

2...Next

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Also, I do need Origin because my Mac doesn't have the disk tray :s but I still have all my S3 disks :)

Yes, you need Origin to register your product codes and download Sims 3 but you don't actually need it to play. You can just launch the game from within your Applications folder and Origin won't open. Unlike Sims 4 which will only run through Origin (but you can still launch it from your Applications folder, Origin will automatically open).
    apple-signature.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't think this game is going to be very successful. And I hardly can imagine anyone abandoning sims 4 for a simplified mobile version of sims 4 with tons of micro transactions.
    I tend to agree with you, if EA/Maxis do not get a lot and I mean a lot of people spending money in Sims mobile because unlike Sims series on PC you are paying for majority of the perks that you got with a pack of some kind and now you have to pay for those perks and most of them you continuously have to pay. I am not even bothering to DL the app even to see how it looks because it not worth it for me. If many people are hesitant in putting out money I do not see Sims Mobile as an success. I do not see this game splitting the players.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    Sims FreePlay has flourished successfully for almost 6 years with over 100 million downloads. There's no reason to think SM won't be as successful. The S4 is vastly different from SM so I don't believe anyone playing Sims 4 is going to abandon it for SM. They might however add it to their repertoire of Sims games.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I really don't get why people are bothered by microtransactions in free mobile games. I've played mobile games for years and I've never seen one without them.
    I'll play both, since pc and mobile games are my favorites.

This might shed some light on the cash grab grubbing.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-mobile-games-suck/

Mobile games might be cash grabbing, you're right, yet they never grabbed my money. Weird.
    I play as a casual f2p on mobile, always. I still manage to have fun for years, if I like the game.

The Sims Mobile will not be the Sims Free Play.

Of course it won't be. It's a different game. So?

Just from what I have read so far the new mobile game will push and require more transactions than Sims Free Play. And I suspect you will see many more ads once final product is fully launched. Just my opinion but mark it down. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The Sims FreePlay was fine until the Life Dreams Update introduced aging causing the FreePlay community to be split due to the fact that reversing aging would require LP but the French Romance Update removed the LP requirement. However, FreePlay seems to have gotten criticized for the game's constant use of Timed Events (and number of permanently missable content) especially Events using Social Points such as Community/Live Events and SimTown Market.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    The fan base has been split since TS2 in some cases. One more split shouldn't cause a collapse.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
    I don't know how major of an impact will The Sims Mobile be. The Sims FreePlay and SimCity BuildIt are often seen as watered-down freemium versions of The Sims 3/The Sims 4 and SimCity (2013) respectively. Previously the fan base was divided between PC/Mac and console but now it's PC/Mac vs mobile. FreePlay also got itself split after the Life Dreams Update due to the introduction of aging causing many players to stop playing the game since you needed LP to reverse aging (the LP requirement was removed in French Romance), and also the game having timed Events very frequently, especially Events using Social Points such as the Community/Live Events and SimTown Market.

The Sims Mobile is also getting hit with this because of the fact the game will be free and have microtransactions causing players to see TSM as a watered-down version of The Sims 4, possibly splitting the fanbase between The Sims 4 and The Sims Mobile. Simmers are divided between those who think TSM is a good Sims game and those who think the game is inferior to TS4.
  • srabideau0993srabideau0993 Posts: 30 Member
    I really don't think it will do too much dividing - comparing a console or PC game to an app game you can play on you phone is pretty ridiculous. Free Play was a fun time waster, but I never had the thought that it was better than TS3 - it's just like the quest for stuff and tapped out. They're fun to open your ipad or phone to, but you really only spend a half hour on it at a time (and that's stretching it)
  • AbneyTAbneyT Posts: 37 Member
    No. I have loved every Sims game. I enjoy Sims 4 right now but only have the time .... because of kids, school, work, etc. to get on maybe once every couple weeks. I love Sims Freeplay but I feel like if I stop playing for a week that I am way behind and don't feel motivated to get back on until I have a lot of freetime. Sims mobile though is a great option for being able to play on the go in 15 minute increments ~
  • Elizabeth94803Elizabeth94803 Posts: 33 Member
    I hope it doesn't split us up. I have friends who play sims free play but never played sims 1 and I don't think they don't understand sims fully
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I hope it doesn't split us up. I have friends who play sims free play but never played sims 1 and I don't think they don't understand sims fully
    It isn't about understanding a certain game because the games are very different. The original Sims games were just sandbox games where you could play as you wanted.

But the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile are much more quest oriented games. Just with the difference that Freeplay is a relaxed slow developing game (with tasks that takes many minutes or even hours) while Mobile is a fast paced game where you have fewer sims but has to give them orders all the time because most tasks only takes something like 10 to 30 seconds. Therefore the games appeal to very different types of gamers or simmers. But we all have different preferences ;)
  • ShellbellShellbell Posts: 132 Member
    I was really exited for mobile till I found out its real time like sims free play. I have also played the sims on the wii, xbox, ps3, gameboy, and ds and I still prefer the pc version over all.
  • wapakkwapakk Posts: 12 New Member
    My guess is the target of sims mobile/ sims freeplay is to entice back the older generation who used to play sims but stopped for some reason. My cousin just started freeplay (yeah we thought that was the sims mobile) and got really hooked. The last time she played sims was way back in sims 2.

But yeah nothing compares to the PC version and I'm sure EA knows that.
    wapakk wrote: »
    My guess is the target of sims mobile/ sims freeplay is to entice back the older generation who used to play sims but stopped for some reason. My cousin just started freeplay (yeah we thought that was the sims mobile) and got really hooked. The last time she played sims was way back in sims 2.
    The Sims Freeplay may appeal to people who like a slow developing strategic game with quests. But the Sims Mobile sure doesn't because the new game is for people who like to be guided much in details through a fast developing game where it is about doing as many actions as possible within events that mostly takes only 5 minutes each. Therefore the new game is targeted much more at very young casual gamers who like that sort of game.
    But yeah nothing compares to the PC version and I'm sure EA knows that.
    For EA the PC game is targeted primarily at young teens who like to buy new expansions very often and mostly cheap SPs. So there we agree :)

I've looked at two YouTube videos (the trailer and one from SimsVIP) about The Sims Mobile and the reactions are mixed. I'm surprised the trailer didn't get a lot of dislikes.
    I've looked at two YouTube videos (the trailer and one from SimsVIP) about The Sims Mobile and the reactions are mixed. I'm surprised the trailer didn't get a lot of dislikes.
    If you don't like the Sims Mobile then just don't play it!

It is a different type of Sims game and not for me. But it may still be able to appeal to the same type of people who love games like Cooking Fever of Supermarket Mania. The Sims Mobile needs more obvious consequences of what we choose in the timed events (often just 5 minutes) though. But that can still be adjusted.
  • RueBeeRedRueBeeRed Posts: 7 New Member
    I asked a friend of mine who was a Sims addict to try it with me and she said she needed more options. I guess there's just too little free play. I thought the interface being ridic convenient would make up for it but she wants mods and fast cash - I'm the opposite. I want to always be able to grind and keep my no pay streak. I pay in work XD (progamer).
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Sims Mobile didn't change my opinion on previous games. It just did not hold my interest like prior games did. I tried it several times and deleted it. I prefer Sims FreePlay and Sims 2. Those 2 games are (for me) the best in the franchise.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Hadron1776 wrote: »
    For me, it's like this:
    - Pay $10-$30 for a game pack I'll keep forever OR
    - Download a game for free, then pay $5 every 10 minutes if I want to do anything useful.

Considering how TSM is basically a stripped down Sims 4, it's no contest.

Forever is a long time. You don't get to keep the sims 4 forever. It's on loan to you and tied into origin. EA owns TS4. Your paying to borrow it just like this new mobile game. You would only get to keep the sims 4 if EA decided to release the game from origin and offer it free. 10 years from now newer hardware may not be able to run the game. The sims 1 has a rough time running on new hardware.

I have the sims 1, 2 and 3 all on disc. None of my versions are tied into origin so yes I can keep them forever however I doubt Ill be able to play them in the future if they are not compatible with newer hardware.

Mine's on Steam, does that make a difference? Still 4 is better than mobile.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I don't know if this is not necro-posting since the previous reply was in July, or if it needs to go in a new discussion. Apparently it did NOT split up the fan base...and Windows 11 being able to play Kindle Fire games and apps to a certain extent hasn't split up the fan base either.

It looks like Sims 4 (now FREE) is going to collaborate somehow with the Sims Mobile team. How this will be done remains to be seen. I look forward to it.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.