Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• ViolettaVioletta Posts: 29 Member
    Oh joy, yet another half finished new "feature" that I will be turning off in the game options. I preferred the whims over this. I would like the fears if they were customizable like traits or aspirations. I usually play either my sim self, or sims that are based off of real people and certain fears just don't make sense with their personalities. As many others have said, there need to be wants added for every pack. And I hate that I can't just simply cancel out the ones that make no sense anymore. They need to make new features more customizable, like you could just wait for your sim to gain a random fear if you want, or you should have the option to add or remove them yourself. It seems this game is getting less and less customizable, when The Sims is supposed to be whatever you, the player, want it to be.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    Did we get a list of wants?
  • ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2022
    Am I the only one noticed that some wants can't be fulfilled? Basically the relationship goal one e.g. go steady with, propse to and break up with. I don't get satisfaction points fulfilling them. And also some other wants are randomly being fulfilled.
    Post edited by Imagebear on
  • starrylimastarrylima Posts: 16 Member
    For something that is meant to be a core mechanic of the game, there doesn't seem to be much hope of older packs getting whims. This is just really lazy and greedy on EA's part tbh
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I hope no one started this since I mentioned doing it before. I said it because it could happen, not that it would.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Here I am, not yet updating. Seriously, if you use Missyhissy mods and betterwhims by Bienchen, if feels like you get the whole package. Wants relating to each sim and their interest, plus each are unique to each different sim (atleast what I feel because there are too many variety). My sim who love welness literaly have welness related whims, and I do not want it to be replaced by a souless wants because the devs decided to add it only for the base game,
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    @TS1299 I use both of those mods too and love them! But, I'm pretty sure they will no longer work now (if you've updated), or they will need to be updated to be "wants".

I'm not updating (nor buying any new DLC) because I refuse to update until it's fixed by EA or a modder comes to my rescue.

I'm 100% a whims-driven player, so not being able to have them is absolutely something that will make me stop playing the game totally if I update. I was excited for the "wants" when I first heard about them, then I learned that they only added them for the Base Game and the upcoming High School pack, not ALL of the packs.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    In defense of the Sims team, there are far more basegame traits than pack traits. There are also a ton of traits in general to program and work with specific types of things featured in the MANY different DLC. This game does have a lot of content at this point; over $1000 worth of DLC, I reckon. They even admitted they didn't have a huge time frame. I'm thankful for what we got so far. :)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    In defense of the Sims team, there are far more basegame traits than pack traits. There are also a ton of traits in general to program and work with specific types of things featured in the MANY different DLC. This game does have a lot of content at this point; over $1000 worth of DLC, I reckon. They even admitted they didn't have a huge time frame. I'm thankful for what we got so far. :)

I don't blame them I blame ea
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,657 Member
    I don't know if I'm just getting lucky and or what, but I did a longer session in my game and the wants are still staying relevant to my sim's personality and traits. I'm still not entirely happy with the situation, disappointed is a good description. My actress sim is not going to get any wants tied to her career, while her fiancee is getting wants left and right for her career as a novelist. That is irritating. At least so far the actress isn't getting weird wants, just generic 'do stuff'. I really wanted wants and fears, but this isn't it. I still want to see more before I give my final verdict, but I have mixed feelings right now. If things get bad I'm ready to toggle off wants and just go on. I didn't use whims all that much over the last year so pulling the plug on wants will feel the same.

It won't change my storytelling but I hoping wants would add to the stories I'm telling more than whims did.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I don't blame them I blame ea

They are one and the same. The devs have said they have a lot of creative control over the game and aren’t told what to do. At least that’s what SG Grant said.

For whatever reason, they decided not to update it through all packs and not all occupations have wants and fears attached and that is disappointing.

Personally for me wants and fears have to make sense for my sim. And these ones just don’t. Most likely because there isn’t enough. I have a university student and she’s getting no wants or fears relating to that at all. What she does get is wants to listen to New Age music every single day, sometimes several times a day and if she doesn’t get to her dreams are unfulfilled?

Yeah, no. Who dreams to listen to a specific music genre all the time?
    Sims 2&3 wants made sense for the sim as individuals and the phase of their lives. University came with a lot of wants and fears.

I think if they were going to add something as highly requested as this it should have been done right.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    edited July 2022
    This new system sounds horrible. Occult Sims will not have any occult-based wants/fears and all Sims' desires will be tied to the base game and the new pack. We can't even get rid of buggy wants like we could with silly "buy a beebox" type of whims (there also won't be any Season-related wants at all...). This is significantly worse than whims for me. The whims may have been goofy and redundant, but at least they existed for some of the occults and for Seasons.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I don't feel grateful at all. I think the system has promise, but what I need is to know that promise will be fullfilled and not left like this. It's gonna affect my game hugely. For the first time I'm considering not buying any more content.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I can see that they don't have the time to add tons of wants/fears for every past DLC, but I really think they should support their own new feature by adding at least 1-2 wants/fears per past pack. I'd be happy with ie "fear of dogs" + "fear of cats" for Cats&Dogs ep. If that would be too complex to program, then just a small "fear of vet clinics" just to show us that this is meant to be a world wide feature, better than the whims thing. More could be added later.

By doing this EA would show us that they stands behind their own new addition, and that it was not intended to be a half baked mini thing that most will get bored with in a few game sessions.

Without a clear word that they will support all (or at least most) past packs, they should rather keep a new feature to the new High School Years pack, and leaving us to desire or deny. Now it seems we get a touch, lose anything re whims, and are left with a feeling that wants/fears was never meant to be a great thing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I can see that they don't have the time to add tons of wants/fears for every past DLC, but I really think they should support their own new feature by adding at least 1-2 wants/fears per past pack. I'd be happy with ie "fear of dogs" + "fear of cats" for Cats&Dogs ep. If that would be too complex to program, then just a small "fear of vet clinics" just to show us that this is meant to be a world wide feature, better than the whims thing. More could be added later.
    It just means it wasn't a priority. Sure a giant company can hire someone who will at least convert all existing whims into wants? I bet there will be a mod that does exactly that in less than a month.

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    For me it's important that they would add want for the pack traits and aspirations. I played a little yesterday and the new feature greatly enforces the effects of traits which is great. Many people have wanted the traits to have more effect. The problem is all the pack traits are missing. My sims in that household didn't have pack traits, but I read you can even end up with no whims if your sims has all pack traits. To me that says the game is seriously broken right now.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    I don't know if I'm just getting lucky and or what, but I did a longer session in my game and the wants are still staying relevant to my sim's personality and traits. I'm still not entirely happy with the situation, disappointed is a good description. My actress sim is not going to get any wants tied to her career, while her fiancee is getting wants left and right for her career as a novelist. That is irritating. At least so far the actress isn't getting weird wants, just generic 'do stuff'. I really wanted wants and fears, but this isn't it. I still want to see more before I give my final verdict, but I have mixed feelings right now. If things get bad I'm ready to toggle off wants and just go on. I didn't use whims all that much over the last year so pulling the plug on wants will feel the same.

It won't change my storytelling but I hoping wants would add to the stories I'm telling more than whims did.

It seems to have added a reason for my sim to not always be happy. I'm playing a law career sim who is attending university to eventually get a degree. I had her go to moonwood during a full moon and a werewolf bit her. She developed a fear of the dark(understandably) from that. I got her through the werebies and first transformation and then she had about 6 hours until work and she developed a fear of failure / not being recognized at work. I'll try that scenario again in a new save and see if she gets the same ones.

• PineappleMaplePineappleMaple Posts: 16 Member
    Are we getting updates with Wants & Fears system? I notice that it seems to be no content from the previous DLCs.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I turned off my Sims 4 Wants & Fears because I so don't want my sims to be afraid of every little thing in the game.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member

@DaniRose2143 I was hoping that wants would help with storytelling too, but they're actually going to be worse than whims for me, which is worse than I expected despite having low expectations. No more weather, animal, or occult-related wants/whims. If my Sims travel to another world like El Selvadorada, Granite Falls or Stangerville, they'll also have no wants related to any activities in those worlds. I think Sims will seem even more generic and lacking in personality than they did before.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Do snob sims still want to drink a glass of nectar? I guess that was Dine Out related whim. I also have a sim who often wanted to do herbalism related stuff. I guess that is gone too. My sims often played in leaf piles, built snow pals and made snowangels because they had whims like that. I liked it. I don't understand why those whims couldn't just be converted to wants. They shouldn't be taken away :disappointed:
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    haneul wrote: »

By doing this EA would show us that they stands behind their own new addition, and that it was not intended to be a half baked mini thing that most will get bored with in a few game sessions.

Without a clear word that they will support all (or at least most) past packs, they should rather keep a new feature to the new High School Years pack, and leaving us to desire or deny. Now it seems we get a touch, lose anything re whims, and are left with a feeling that wants/fears was never meant to be a great thing.
    I think if they couldn't do it properly, they shouldn't have done it at all. What we have now is worse that what we had before. I don't see the point of adding a wants-based system if you're not going to actually do the work of adding the wants. The game is just going to be shallow. If wants are supposed to be partly trait-based and there are traits in EP and GPs, then those traits should be covered or else Sims with those traits won't have proper wants. EA is also a huge company. If they wanted to do it right, they could have.

I completely agree, if they are going to do it, do it right at least. They should have been more transparent. That tweet from the guru seemed to suggest it would cover all packs not just base game.

My sim now has dreams apparently of listening to new age 24/7. And when that can’t happen she gets unfulfilled dreams fears. Except she’s not meant to be that shallow and one dimensional

I play with wants and wishes to give my sims personality and character. It’s one of the reasons I struggle with sims 4 because whims were useless. Wants are just ridiculous. She could have wants relating to her degree, she could have wants relating to university and fears but she doesn’t. Instead she dreams of listening to a radio station. It’s another thing I have to pretend.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Now I discovered this. If you have a fear and don't like it, don't turn off fears and wants. First, drink the potion. The fear will not go away otherwise.

Hope this gets fixed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top