Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited July 2022
    Watched the EnglishSimmer do a cross compatibility test with other packs, mainly with clubs and parenting. Unfortunately, there's basically zero.

You cannot do club gatherings at the high school, so can't do your own clubs there.

You also can't give out punishments for catching your kid sneaking out - so you can't ground them or anything.

Really disappointed in that :(.

I was going to complain about this too.
    Why??? Why on earth can't we have school club gatherings in school?? Ugh, I hate it.

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    You cannot do club gatherings at the high school, so can't do your own clubs there.

Oh no!

If this is true, that changes the pack from "maybe buy next month, maybe wait until a sale" to "maybe never buy" for me.

Did she test whether you can actually start a club meeting on the grounds, or only whether you can set the school as a club meeting place?

If you can't do the latter, that's a shame, but I could work around it. But if you can't even travel to the school and then start a meeting... that's absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Oh no!

If this is true, that changes the pack from "maybe buy next month, maybe wait until a sale" to "maybe never buy" for me.

Did she test whether you can actually start a club meeting on the grounds, or only whether you can set the school as a club meeting place?

If you can't do the latter, that's a shame, but I could work around it. But if you can't even travel to the school and then start a meeting... that's absolutely ridiculous.

She tested both.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    One thing I think is dumb is the 'death by urban myth'. I mean, what is that even? Something tells me that's going to get annoying real fast.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of pillow fighting returning. Sims were annoyingly obsessed with pillow fighting in Sims 3. Not really happy to see it return.
  • Options
    somewhsome wrote: »

Oh no!

She tested both.

I just watched it. That is such garbage. Why would they choose to do that?

I wonder whether you could start one in the auditorium.

Oh well. I guess it's looking increasingly unlikely that I will get this pack. I was actually starting to feel a little hype the last few days as I made plans for clubs, but if we are not even allowed to fix the pack's shortcomings ourselves, then I'm out.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Watched the EnglishSimmer do a cross compatibility test with other packs, mainly with clubs and parenting. Unfortunately, there's basically zero.

You also can't give out punishments for catching your kid sneaking out - so you can't ground them or anything.

No club gatherings either? *urgh

I'm running out of ideas of what I should do in this pack, and it is not even out yet.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    They have boba tea in the UK, I know people who live there who love it.
    I live in the UK (under a rock lol) and never knew this, but you are right. I googled it and you can buy it all over the UK.

I will have to track some down now and give it a try.

Some of the things that were shared make so jealous, the drinks look so good!

Not going to lie, we hadn't had boba in a while, but the oldest and I had to go out for some this weekend after reading all about the pack! :D

I still don't know what "boba tea" is. I have never heard of it before this pack.

Boba is the black tapioca pearls that get put in drinks like Thai ice tea or some kind of milk tea. They’re rather chewy and I dislike them for the texture and probably some minor PTSD from one I almost choked on one a long time ago. I love the popping bobas which are kind of like the hybrid lovechild of pop rocks candy and jello. I think they do go better in fruitier teas rather than milk tea.

Tomorrow is release day? I’m finding myself fairly ambivalent to this. I wasn’t that interested in reliving my high school experiences (even as a good student). It’s not gameplay I’m particularly interested in and I was a little eh about things I could like being locked to the pack. And there are aspects of the pack I’m just not interested in, like cheerleaders. For folks that want it, more power to ‘em, but I’m still dreaming of horses which was what made my years in high school the best because I’d go to the barn every day after class.
  • Options

Well that sucks. So I guess teens just do whatever they want now because High School Years?
  • Options
    MelanieScribblesMelanieScribbles Posts: 161 Member

Aww, I was hoping for some pack integration with Parenthood in that context at the very least. :/ I was really looking forward to setting a curfew via the family board item and then placing one of those climbing windows. But what's even the point of that now? I really need more excuses to set a curfew for my Child and Teen Sims. I now have absolutely no reason to do that OR have a reason to have those Sims break curfew. The best thing I can think of is sneaking off with their crush at night to go dance at the local Nightclub, but with the game in this state... Where else would they go? Two potential lots in Get Together don't exactly cut it, and my geeky Sims still have nowhere to sneak off to if they're having a rebellious streak.

And no videogaming club that I can set to take place at school? Come on, EA! I've already made a Teen Sim with the Geek trait for that purpose: I was going for a bored straight A student sort of vibe on him, but I guess that idea is off the table now. :| Guess he's stuck organizing it at a gaming cafe that I built after school.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    It's a bit sad that the thing I liked most about the pack so far is the marketing (mainly the yearbook teen pictures of some of the premade Sims) rather than... most of the features. I'm just... sooo disappointed.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member

Noooo 😭!! Parenthood and Get Together were the two packs I was really wanting to have cross compatibility with this pack. I'm so disappointed.

From the cross compatibility video, you can't even start a gathering on the lot. It gives a pop-up about it. Why limit it like this? To not give us any artistic clubs, and then not give us the ability to make our own?? What was the decision process here? Like, they actively blocked it from gathering there? Why? At least I only added a theater, a painting class, and a music room, but I feel so bad for people who went out of their way to make a bunch of clubs they won't be able to use...

I noticed they added the "cry on the toilet" action that was in the Discover University trailer that I don't think actually came with the pack? If it did, I've never seen it myself. You can console a crying sim so that's nice. Hoping it works with all bathroom stalls and not just the ones from HSY. I prefer the look of the other stalls from DU.

As a family player, Parenthood is one of my favorite packs so it's really upsetting to not see it accounted for. It also doesn't make much sense to me, either. This is a pack about teenagers, and their parents can't reprimand them for poor class behavior? Can't have a discussion with them about getting expelled? And your sim can't even sneak out after curfew!? What?? I've had sims accidentally break curfew for taking out the trash, but they can't sneak out the window?? What's the point in sneaking out then? I'm so tired of having to imagine scenarios in my head for this game. I'll have to remove curfew and just pretend it's set. At least if the parent sees them do it, they'll get reprimanded for it. But that's just a feature of HSY, not it being compatible with Parenthood. So that means they can't be grounded for trying to sneak out. Also, they won't get caught unless the parent is actively standing nearby when they try it.

Oh no, I just realized. If there's no Parenthood compatibility, does that mean your sims won't be assigned take home projects? It's one of my favorite family activities... Hopefully it'll still happen if you send them to school alone. But like I said when I first brought this concern up, that means ignoring one of the biggest points of this pack...

Not looking good 😰
  • Options
    lexibee wrote: »
    I noticed they added the "cry on the toilet" action that was in the Discover University trailer that I don't think actually came with the pack? If it did, I've never seen it myself. You can console a crying sim so that's nice. Hoping it works with all bathroom stalls and not just the ones from HSY. I prefer the look of the other stalls from DU.
    We have it in DU too. You just have to be sad to cry in the stall, and you can console crying sims, too.

• Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    We have it in DU too. You just have to be sad to cry in the stall, and you can console crying sims, too.

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I guess my sims suffer too much from happy sim disease for me to ever see it, even with NPCs. At least that means it'll work with the DU stalls then.

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Via EnglishSimmer, you CANNOT use the high school for club gatherings.
    There goes most of my gameplay ideas 😡

That's disappointing.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Well, as is always the case with TS4, this is another "Expansion Pack" that doesn't actually expand the game! What is up with that!

It so makes me scratch my head and wonder do the devs seriously forget that people have been buying/using previous bought DLC for almost 8 years now and that any new feature needs to also incorporate cross pack compatibility? Have they not ever actually played the game beyond testing things and have no idea how a normal simmer plays?

I mean, do they seriously think people only use 1 pack at a time and not interweave EVERYTHING from packs into their game play?

Agreed. They seem to only show us the new pack with the base game when they do the streams, presumably so people don't think "where did that come from, I don't have it?" but it's frustrating that there is so little inter-pack connectivity. Most people are likely to own multiple packs, I think. I really think Parenthood in particular should have been more closely linked to HSY.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Well, as is always the case with TS4, this is another "Expansion Pack" that doesn't actually expand the game! What is up with that!

It so makes me scratch my head and wonder do the devs seriously forget that people have been buying/using previous bought DLC for almost 8 years now and that any new feature needs to also incorporate cross pack compatibility? Have they not ever actually played the game beyond testing things and have no idea how a normal simmer plays?

I mean, do they seriously think people only use 1 pack at a time and not interweave EVERYTHING from packs into their game play?

Worse than that: it's like they didn't just forget about cross pack compatibility, they actively went out of their way to block it.

Is there any other lot type already in the game where you can't start a club meeting while you are on the lot? I can't think of a single one. Maybe the military base in Strangerville, that's probably the only one I haven't tried.
  • Options

Worse than that: it's like they didn't just forget about cross pack compatibility, they actively went out of their way to block it.

Is there any other lot type already in the game where you can't start a club meeting while you are on the lot? I can't think of a single one. Maybe the military base in Strangerville, that's probably the only one I haven't tried.

I don't think you can hold club gatherings on vacation lots?
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member

Oh, this is pretty disappointing to read. It’s logical to assume that if the game only officially introduces 4 high school activities that players would want to create their own using other DLC (the club system). That’s a giant let down, and it doesn’t look like there are any workarounds for this.

As for the parenting cross-pack gameplay, that’s also a disappointment. As a family player who uses a lot of the parenthood gameplay, I find it bizarre that parents cannot discipline their children for getting detention or getting expelled.

I hope mods come out to give players what we were hoping for, and I hope the sims team revisits how they’ve made their decisions. It just doesn’t really make sense to me since players are more likely to buy other packs just to enhance the HSY experience...it’s an interesting business decision.
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am watching English Simmer's video now. My hopes for this pack are crushed. I'll be waiting for a sale if I get it at all. I was hoping to be able to have clubs meet after school, but no. And no Parenthood compatibility! Why?
  • Options
    sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    I just got an idea, if someone know if this can work or not please let me know it could be a life saver : so the auditorium (the lot right next to the high school lot) is a 4 parts lots. Kind of like community lots in eco lifestyle.

So it functions as : auditorium, career day, prom night, graduation day. Each time one of these big events take place there it changes into one of these. The auditorium, i believe, is the default lot (it’s what you see by default when no events are occurring) which is pretty empty and no adults go there i think.

We can’t have clubs gatherings at the high school because their coding is bad. But nothing stop us from having our club gatherings at the auditorium !! If we go watch lil simsie last video about prom that she posted today, we can see that we can transform the lot any way we want. So why not change the auditorium into a big after school clubs location ??

The reason it could be very interesting is i don’t believe random adult sims pop up there by default so it’s perfect for our teens to do whatever. It’s even better than thrift shop. So basically you build the best place with tons of rooms for each clubs, you make your clubs gathering there and when prom day or career day happens the lot magically transform into the correct one.That way our teens still have somewhere to practice their favorite skills after class and technically it’s almost as if the game recognize it (since the lot is made for teens anyway)

what do you guys think ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top