Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Man 😭 I knew that there would be something that didn't hit the mark for me with wants and fears, but this is more than I expected... When sim guru George said they went back and included previous content in the system, I think I'm safe in saying that we all thought he meant they addressed all the packs. But it's just base game? And now sims who have DLC traits aren't getting any wants? This is such a massive oversight.

Also, whims from other packs, that could've easily been used as wants, were taken out? So there's less wants than there were whims? I mean, I appreciate that they took out stuff like "buy a beebox", but now it seems the new one is "listen to ___ music".

And not being able to remove wants. I understand the thought process here, but I am just not a fan of the choice. TS4 has a problem with sims all wanting the same things regardless of traits (or now even sexuality), so when my sim would roll a whim to do something they would never do, I could just click them out until I rolled one more fitting. But now you would need to buy a potion to reset it? That you get currency for by completing wants? This just seems nonsensical to me.

I'm also concerned about the fears. I was already a little apprehensive about the way they were being implemented before the update came out, and now I'm even more so. I saw one where a sim who was afraid of fires couldn't even light a fireplace. Which I suppose makes sense. But then how are they supposed to get over their fears? Do we have to wait for a specific time? Like how during the livestream they said sims will get the pop-up about it being a good day to try to get over their fears? But they can also have the possibility of never getting over their fears? I'm also concerned about the fears getting stuck, because Parenthood traits sometimes bug out and don't go away without cheating them out. Now that fears are also categorized as traits, I'm afraid the same might happen here...

I'm still happy that the team finally implemented this feature, but I just really hope they plan on going back and updating it. Have they said anything about updating it, the way they said they would keep updating likes and dislikes?
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    How does the wants and fears work because my sim just game home from work and fears his dead end job. :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Ok I'm extremely disappointed and NOT HAPPY AT ALL about the Wants/Fears after it has basically been confirmed that they may add more with future packs but sort of sounds like they have absolutely have no intention of adding any for past released DLC.

This right there, just nailed the coffin for me. I will definitely NOT be updating now, so I guess I won't be purchasing any more future packs.

I'm a whims-based player .... they took away the "whims" and replaced them with "wants" ... sounded awesome!

Except that they ONLY gave us "wants" for the Base Game (and the new High School Pack, which in order to buy the pack you have to update the game), so now we are getting even less than what we previously had.

Yeah .... no.

3uq6dXa.png

This is just so frustrating, what do you mean "where it makes sense"???? It makes sense to make use of this feature across the entire game!

Exactly! It makes no sense that a lot of traits and aspirations don't have corresponding wants. Ugh.
    This isn't something you can add only to a couple packs, this should be one of the staples of a sim's personality.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Ok I'm extremely disappointed and NOT HAPPY AT ALL about the Wants/Fears after it has basically been confirmed that they may add more with future packs but sort of sounds like they have absolutely have no intention of adding any for past released DLC.

This right there, just nailed the coffin for me. I will definitely NOT be updating now, so I guess I won't be purchasing any more future packs.

I'm a whims-based player .... they took away the "whims" and replaced them with "wants" ... sounded awesome!

Except that they ONLY gave us "wants" for the Base Game (and the new High School Pack, which in order to buy the pack you have to update the game), so now we are getting even less than what we previously had.

Yeah .... no.

3uq6dXa.png

So they made the game worse on purpose? Because if Wants and Fears are better, in theory, than whims, but cannot connect to 8 years worth of packs, then yeah... no. You just made the game worse. If you didn't have time to add it in for all packs, don't add it in at all and instead keep the whims!

How does the wants and fears work because I am not liking my sim mood is now altered over fearing a dead in job.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2022

3uq6dXa.png
    Who's bright idea was this? Let's remove the whims and replace them with "less" wants connected to basegame and one new pack. I'm following another Simmers path and my likes and dislikes are going down in number, and no songs. I'm sorry to hear that apparently, time was cut short.

I really wanted the sexual orientation feature and the body hair, but this was an utter disappointment. I regret downloading this patch (and I've only myself to blame). Though I appreciate the lesson. I foolishly thought the wants would be an improvement (pack by pack). "Less is More" is not a feature I enjoy in games.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    well at least everyone is angry thats what ea seems to respond to the most so I feel there is some hope
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    edited July 2022
    Fear my vampire, fools, and stay away! I'm looking at you, Bess Sterling and Knoxx Greenburg!

Unless, of course... you enjoy donating your blood during every visit?
    well at least everyone is angry thats what ea seems to respond to the most so I feel there is some hope

Really? I would have hoped they wouldn't get us all like this before they acted.
  • kadoracsimskadoracsims Posts: 13 New Member
    This, and the Sim Guru's response, is extremely disappointing. cross pack compatibility is so sad, like, the open water swimming that was supposed to be expanded, the holidays in seasons got no new traditions, i thought they were gonna add new preferences? only one being consistently updated is Get Together clubs, but even the werewolf pack lacked any new club activities.

Just so extremely disappointed, to not even add wants and fears based on the past expansion packs alone, and then build it out over time. I know modders will be on this shortly but, it sucks
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Yeah, just to reiterate, I've been waiting patiently for years, buying their packs, waiting and waiting and hoping for them to add wants & fears to the game. And now the DLC traits and content doesn't count for them?! How am I supposed to be okay with that, just how.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    This is the worst overlook of older packs that they've done. There are things it can be compared with and sadly they're things that never got expanded the way I would have hoped. I'm really unhappy with this.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yeah that response is a bit upsetting. Like that original tweet confused multiple people, myself included. He could have said base game and should have, he knows previous content sounds like older packs not base game. I’m very rarely disappointed in the devs of this game, but this whole thing just rubs me wrong. There were better ways to respond originally so we didn’t think we were getting more than we actually did. Maybe enough complaints and they’ll fix it, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Sentiments were never adjusted for packs before snowy escape either and they also should have been.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2022
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Yeah that response is a bit upsetting. Like that original tweet confused multiple people, myself included. He could have said base game and should have, he knows previous content sounds like older packs not base game. I’m very rarely disappointed in the devs of this game, but this whole thing just rubs me wrong. There were better ways to respond originally so we didn’t think we were getting more than we actually did. Maybe enough complaints and they’ll fix it, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Sentiments were never adjusted for packs before snowy escape either and they also should have been.
    Yes! It's like they don't get how MUCH it would improve the game experience if they added both features for all previous packs. It would add SO much depth to the game - and ALL they have to do is to build on the systems they already have in place now. They literally just have to add more - it can't possibly be that hard to do, and it would literally expand the game SO MUCH for players. SO MUCH.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    They hopefully did these new fears as a test to see how people react. It could be a sign they'll add more?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited July 2022
    filipomel wrote: »

Yeah .... no.

3uq6dXa.png

This is just so frustrating, what do you mean "where it makes sense"???? It makes sense to make use of this feature across the entire game!
    I'm so tired of this they are always doing this with features only new worlds getting swimming only base game features get updated with new packs while older packs are ignored as if they don't exist. How can a Sim not have wants with seasons such as waterbaloon fight on a sunny day or to build a snowman, going skiing with Snowy escape. I guess bros are stuck to base game wants and will never want to go bowling or climb a mountain play some basketball or kick around a soccer ball I'm stuck with go for a jog.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    Haven't played much of this new update yet but am a bit disappointed with the wants and fears so far. Is it really true that you can't click the cross for a want to make a new one appear? I never really had any problems with the whims and am not quite understanding why they changed it.

Some of the wants also seem unnecessary. I don't need to see that my sims want to relieve themselves because I can see that by clicking on the needs bar.

From reading other posts am disappointed that the fears seem to be a random trait that occurs during gameplay, instead of a customisable option. I was hoping it would be something you could add, like an aspiration to overcome. I know there are desires to have 'more realistic' gameplay but I think it is somewhat bad taste to include the ability to develop real phobias as a form of entertainment in a game. If fears were a CAS option instead, this would then make them more of a personality trait or story idea which everyone could customise to their game.

I like to make up my own stories for my Sims and am finding I'm having to turn off more and more of the new features so that I'm not constantly getting interrupted by random things that keep happening when I'm trying to do other things with my Sims. (Am still getting bombarded with phonecalls even though I have Neighbourhood Stories turned off!)

Looking at the list, I do like the types of fears that have been included (wish they could have included more nonsensical ones, as that would have fitted more with the game's aesthetic). I'm just disappointed with how they've been applied to the game.

Sorry to moan, but this feature really doesn't feel like it's been thought through.
  • SailorgreenylizSailorgreenyliz Posts: 107 Member
    My sim is at the top of her career and just got the 'fear of dead end job' pop up. She is a tech guru in the start up track + 1 promotion so far from 'dead end'. Sometimes the wants are things they need like if a motive is low they will want to fill that need. No real complaints about it its better then always getting the bee box whim but I do wish we could cancel a want I kind of get why they won't but maybe make sure they fit a situation as I saw some of the ones that were inappropriate relationship wants in the discussion.
    Origin ID - Sailorgreenyliz
    - Sims 4 Legacy The Green Legacy
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Okay that is just so disappointing. I want older packs to have wants & fears too. I'm not buying packs or kits or anything anymore until this is fixed.

I regret I updated my game already, because I could have played with old whims just fine (I used them quite a lot and I think they worked well enough, though of course I wanted them to be better and to have more of them). I was worried about this new update but I guess I was too optimistic in the end. The team should be given enough time and resources to make systems like these include the previous packs. It would make the game so much better.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    The more I read the more worried I'm becoming. Nothing I heard in the live stream indicated that this would only apply to base game situations. I thought this was going to be global. I was really happy after my short session last night but now my I'm nervous about what's going to happen once I get there and really play for awhile. I really hope I'm not going to get my heart broken.
    haisin wrote: »
    Okay that is just so disappointing. I want older packs to have wants & fears too. I'm not buying packs or kits or anything anymore until this is fixed.

I'm done too. And it's not just this stuff that pushed me to do it.
  • EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm really disapoitend and mad.

I was genuinely hopping for wants and fears for Sims 4. Begging for it. It was the only thing, paring with romantic preferences, that I really missed and needed for a more depth.

They literity ruinined it. My sims with traits from the others 131244 packs that we have, will be useless. No soul, no nothing.

What is the point to buy all the packs if we can't have crosspack?

Same with the "likes/dislikes". We are still waiting for them to put more...

I defended the game until today.

I will NOT buy another pack until we have more wants/fears from previsious packs. It's just stupid and nonesense!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top