Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• kadoracsimskadoracsims Posts: 13 New Member
    > @SnaveXs said:
    > My straight sim wanted to ask his gay brother to be his boyfriend. :|

gross. I've seen that bug on twitter too. idk what's going on the those horrible incest bugs

It seems like they develop these systems without considering the new systems they're implementing at the same time. like wants should definitely factor in the new sexuality update.
  • David8_LyDavid8_Ly Posts: 41 Member
    The ability to reset wants requiring satisfaction points is stupid. Why spend satisfaction points on a potion when that very same thing is supposed to reward satisfaction points? What was EA thinking with this stupid idea for a potion. If not being able to cancel out wants without a potion is not a bug, then it clearly is a mistake or perhaps both, because an incest want is also a bug as well. I would also strongly recommend that EA removes the reset wants potion, because it seems like a rip off to me that should have to cost aspiration points to reset and should be free similar to the cancelling out for whims.
    > @David8_Ly said:
    > The ability to reset wants requiring satisfaction points is stupid. Why spend satisfaction points on a potion when that very same thing is supposed to reward satisfaction points? What was EA thinking with this stupid idea for a potion. If not being able to cancel out wants without a potion is not a bug, then it clearly is a mistake or perhaps both, because an incest want is also a bug as well. I would also strongly recommend that EA removes the reset wants potion, because it seems like a rip off to me that should have to cost aspiration points to reset and should be free similar to the cancelling out for whims.

edit: "should not" (Kind of annoying the forum does not allow the option to edit and/or delete comments.)
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited July 2022
    David8_Ly wrote: »
    > @David8_Ly said:
    > The ability to reset wants requiring satisfaction points is stupid. Why spend satisfaction points on a potion when that very same thing is supposed to reward satisfaction points? What was EA thinking with this stupid idea for a potion. If not being able to cancel out wants without a potion is not a bug, then it clearly is a mistake or perhaps both, because an incest want is also a bug as well. I would also strongly recommend that EA removes the reset wants potion, because it seems like a rip off to me that should have to cost aspiration points to reset and should be free similar to the cancelling out for whims.

edit: "should not" (Kind of annoying the forum does not allow the option to edit and/or delete comments.)

Yes you can edit comments by tapping the gear symbol on the top right of your post, then tapping edit.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    I was never a fan of wants & fears in Sims 2. I like the idea of whims that you can keep or cancel at will so much more. At least I could cancel the nonsensical whims. Being locked into nonsensical wants isn't fun.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.

The third want is situational. The example they gave in the live stream was if your sim is out at a bar they may want a drink, or a particular drink. That want will last until they they do that action or until the leave the lot. They did also mention something about wanting to conquer their fear, that's probably what you had. I don't think the third want is supposed to be something that's there constantly like the third whim, and I don't get the impression that it will be as flighty as the whim tied to emotions was.

Ah, thank you - that makes sense. Unfourtuantely even when my Sims went to community lots (I believe I had them to go to a restaurant and a park yesterday) neither of them had a third want pop up. It doesn't seem like they'll have the third want appear much unless that's just my game or I haven't played long enough yet.

It may take more than just visiting the lot. I don't remember them saying that traits affect that third want as much as it does the other two, but maybe it does. I was in my game for over an hour last night and never had that third one pop up even though I sent my swim happy sim to the beach in Tartosa. I figured she'd get a want to go swimming, something she does daily on her own.
    > @simmerorigin said:
    > Yes you can edit comments by tapping the gear symbol on the top right of your post, then tapping edit.

I am not a full member yet. I do not think that the edit option is available to me yet, because of me still being a new member.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.

The third want is situational. The example they gave in the live stream was if your sim is out at a bar they may want a drink, or a particular drink. That want will last until they they do that action or until the leave the lot. They did also mention something about wanting to conquer their fear, that's probably what you had. I don't think the third want is supposed to be something that's there constantly like the third whim, and I don't get the impression that it will be as flighty as the whim tied to emotions was.

Ah, thank you - that makes sense. Unfourtuantely even when my Sims went to community lots (I believe I had them to go to a restaurant and a park yesterday) neither of them had a third want pop up. It doesn't seem like they'll have the third want appear much unless that's just my game or I haven't played long enough yet.

It may take more than just visiting the lot. I don't remember them saying that traits affect that third want as much as it does the other two, but maybe it does. I was in my game for over an hour last night and never had that third one pop up even though I sent my swim happy sim to the beach in Tartosa. I figured she'd get a want to go swimming, something she does daily on her own.

It's because a beach isn't a basegame lot, and it seems like only BG lots affect wants :/ in my game sims wanted to have drinks in bars, but they had no reaction to being in a restaurant or onsen.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    I was never a fan of wants & fears in Sims 2. I like the idea of whims that you can keep or cancel at will so much more. At least I could cancel the nonsensical whims. Being locked into nonsensical wants isn't fun.

Even as a huge sims 2 fan I can understand why people wouldn’t like it. I ignore many sims 2 wants and I have no consequence. I agree being locked into something that I have to fulfill or I’ll get a fear of unfulfilled dreams is just irritating. I would like more than this fear. But it’s all I get.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2022
    > @David8_Ly said:

I have to disagree with this one - I think it's one of the things EA did correct with this feature. It makes a lot more sense to do it this way than 'easily' being able to remove wants at will. This way you have to sacrifice something if you want to change the sims wants. Ofcourse the bug where sims wants to ask out family isn't supposed to happen. They should definitely fix that one right away. but the potions does make sense and is also consistent with how Sims 4 is set up with satisfaction points etc.
    I think this will be the first real reason for me to get those points!
    Which makes the game more immersive and actually getting points will matter - at least for me for the first time.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    > @David8_Ly said:

I have to disagree with this one - I think it's one of the things EA did correct with this feature. It makes a lot more sense to do it this way than 'easily' being able to remove wants at will. This way you have to sacrifice something if you want to change the sims wants. Ofcourse the bug where sims wants to ask out family isn't supposed to happen. They should definitely fix that one right away. but the potions does make sense and is also consistent with how Sims 4 is set up with satisfaction points etc.
    I think this will be the first real reason for me to get those points!
    Which makes the game more immersive and actually getting points will matter - at least for me for the first time.

I like it too. That's what a lot of players were asking for — consequences. You can't just remove wants and you can't completely ignore them without it affecting your sim, which makes sense.
    My sims also usually have tons of points, so it will be a good way to spend them.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

It's because a beach isn't a basegame lot, and it seems like only BG lots affect wants :/ in my game sims wanted to have drinks in bars, but they had no reaction to being in a restaurant or onsen.

I hope this oversight gets fixed. My sims spend a lot of time at community lots that aren't base game.
  • _jodielaura_jodielaura Posts: 19 Member
    I was very excited for wants and fears because I use whims a lot. I am disappointed with it tbh. I do like a lot of the wants that have been added, however I hate that toddlers barely have wants and sims don’t have wants based on their emotions anymore which was way more realistic
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I really don't like this pattern of a new feature being added into the game only for previously released packs to not be updated to use it. Sentiments, likes and dislikes, neighbourhood stories and now wants and fears are all features with missing compatibility with a variety of the packs. Although I like the systems they add in theory, they only make the game feel more incomplete than before the features were added, my dlc collection makes up a large chunk of my game, and the fact this chunk continues to be ignored when new systems and features are added doesn't help with making the game feel like a more complete experience. I'm getting tired of this nonsense. Why can't we ever get a feature that is complete and polished added into the base game? Why do these new additions always have to have some kind of short coming along with it?
    Agree 100% also love your profile pic! Big fan of Arthur🥰🥰
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I liked the old whim system. I only wanted them to be updated to add whims from more recent packs. My entire play style is based around whims, so this change ruins the game for me. Im not updating until we either get an option to have the old system back, or the new wants are fixed. They need to have wants that include all expansion, game and stuff packs.

yes they do
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

I hope this oversight gets fixed. My sims spend a lot of time at community lots that aren't base game.

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • starrylimastarrylima Posts: 16 Member
    One thing I'm a bit baffled with, is why there aren't short term/reactionary fears/fears based on other sims (kind of like in the sims 2). As far as I can tell the only thing close to that in the update are the spiky bubbles, which only revolve around conquering the fear. Imo there should be 1 fear based on relationships (other sims), one more short term/reactionary or personality based fear and then the fear that's currently in the game - long term fear/phobia.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member

I don't know if someone answered this but to cancel click the pin 2 times. 1st time should pin it and the 2nd time should cancel it.

It's not working like that in my game. 1st click pins it, 2nd click unpins it.

Somehow I got a want to cancel by clicking that pin a few times. I think I saw a cancel option on the want but I was also rattled because I thought my sim would die if I didn't get her +50 enraged moodlet to go away. So I really wasn't paying attention to what I was clicking but somehow I canceled a want because it disappeared and changed to a different want.

I'd be rattled too with a moodlet that intense. Yikes! I'm sure there's a way to reroll them I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Maybe while you were frantically trying to save their life they autonomously completed that want?

Maybe that's what happened. My sim came home from school with that moodlet. It didn't say what caused it just said something about having a mood. I don't know what want disappeared so she could've completed it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    > @SnaveXs said:
    > My straight sim wanted to ask his gay brother to be his boyfriend. :|

gross. I've seen that bug on twitter too. idk what's going on the those horrible incest bugs

It seems like they develop these systems without considering the new systems they're implementing at the same time. like wants should definitely factor in the new sexuality update.

Seems more likely that they manage, somehow, to bypass default checks. Happens with other things too, like the aging bug and other things over the years:
    They have a set rule in the code that checks for blood relations, right? Then suddenly an update or a pack ignores, or bypasses that check. I am not a professional programmer, but I know enough about coding to know it is easily done; you "comment out" a check because you need to test something and then forget to "uncomment" it again. That's the easiest explanation I can think of.

That said, it definitely seems like very little QA went into this, just like the last two packs.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Leave it to the modders to make it better now lmao

How unfortunate!
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Are there consequences when you face something about your fear? Such as when a fire is on your lot when your sim has a fear of it?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Are there consequences when you face something about your fear? Such as when a fire is on your lot when your sim has a fear of it?
    They can ge over the fear, not sure if it could get worse
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited July 2022
    None of my Sims in the family of two adults and their two children have gotten a single fear yet. The mother likes hip hop and blues music and all she gets is "listen to hip hop" and "listen to blues" over and over again. I've done it at least 5 or 6 times and it's getting repetitive.
    I really wish there will be also other kinds of wants sometimes. Fears would be nice too. :unamused:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top