Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Okay, according to several posts on Reddit the Wants system causes sims to "Want" to break up, and the want cannot be removed? Is this true?

There's a potion to refresh your wants. It changes all of them though if they are not pinned.

Well, between that and other related bugs it seems my new default setting is Wants OFF. :smile:
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited July 2022
    Okay, according to several posts on Reddit the Wants system causes sims to "Want" to break up, and the want cannot be removed? Is this true?
    Sounds great to me if it's true. I'm the weirdo who likes random drama like this. I don't always want my Sims to break up, but now I will do it if my Sim wants it so much. I'll be upset for a while if my favorite couple wants to break up, but I'm also excited for changes in their lives.
    This makes me want to play even more. I want my Sims to make more choices that can't be changed, I feel less like a child playing with dolls.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I want the whims for all the other packs skills and traits back
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    phenson65 wrote: »
    > @phenson65 said:
    > > @CK213 said:
    > > I started grinning when I saw my sim wanted to listen to Jazz music.
    > > Not the fact that it was Jazz, but because it was based off one of her likes. This is what I wanted most for Whims (now Wants).
    > > It helps bring out their personalities.
    > >
    > > I went through my current household and all their likes were about things related to traits, aspirations, relationships, and likes.
    > > Nothing about Bee Boxes or 1 x 1 pools.
    > >
    > > What I don't like is they removed the cancel feature and they expect you to buy a potion to cancel the want.
    > > Talk about short-sighted, so what if you roll another Want that you don't want? Are you going to buy another potion?
    > > No, so it's a feature that few people will actually use, or use very sparingly.
    > >
    > > That must be there because the amount of wants are actually limited and it will keep you from seeing how quickly they roll the same wants again.
    >
    >

Sorry about the quote only post. I'm new to this and pushed the wrong button. :wink:

Good riddance to the bee boxes and 1 x 1 pools. The loss of the cancel button is a real pain. I'm getting wants from my family oriented sims to do things that are way ahead of where they are at in their relationship. Thinking about leaving notes and drawing for people when they don't have one of those bulletin boards. None of my families have those bulletin boards because of those exact, endlessly repeating whims. Now, we get them as wants just out of the blue and can't make them go away.

This is NOT acceptable. I really hope they fix it or I'm going to have to turn them off and I really like using whims/wants and fears to guide my gameplay.

I don't know if someone answered this but to cancel click the pin 2 times. 1st time should pin it and the 2nd time should cancel it.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,659 Member
    edited July 2022

I don't know if someone answered this but to cancel click the pin 2 times. 1st time should pin it and the 2nd time should cancel it.

It's not working like that in my game. 1st click pins it, 2nd click unpins it.
    I miss the wants for ja and odr the most and seasons
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member

Somehow I got a want to cancel by clicking that pin a few times. I think I saw a cancel option on the want but I was also rattled because I thought my sim would die if I didn't get her +50 enraged moodlet to go away. So I really wasn't paying attention to what I was clicking but somehow I canceled a want because it disappeared and changed to a different want.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    Okay, so I found a major flaw in wants system — most of them seem to be basegame. That means if you create a sim with pack-only traits and aspiration, they will have only boring generic wants like "get to know X" or even NO WANTS AT ALL. That was the case for my cat-loving, high maintenance, unflirty sim. Just after creation she wanted... nothing. Like nothing at all. Then I took her to a bar and she got a want to order a drink, and after chatting with some sims she got a want to know them better. But that was all.
    *sigh* That's what I was afraid of though I'm not surprised at all to hear this.
    I'm using a Whim overhaul mod and since this system replaces whims I'm fairly certain it means the mod will break so I'd need to remove it and then be stuck with an inferior system. Seems like I'm in no hurry to download this update then although I'd really like to have the body hair and sexual preference features.
    There is potential about the wants/fears system but I basically expected it to be released half-baked. It's kind of a trend that they don't consider different packs and their integration.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,659 Member

Somehow I got a want to cancel by clicking that pin a few times. I think I saw a cancel option on the want but I was also rattled because I thought my sim would die if I didn't get her +50 enraged moodlet to go away. So I really wasn't paying attention to what I was clicking but somehow I canceled a want because it disappeared and changed to a different want.

I'd be rattled too with a moodlet that intense. Yikes! I'm sure there's a way to reroll them I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Maybe while you were frantically trying to save their life they autonomously completed that want?
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have not updated my game yet...for multiple reasons! And that is one of them. Really? We can't just click anymore on a whim - sorry "want" - to remove it, instead we have to buy a potion everytime? No, just...NO!
    I'm repeating myself: Why no options? For those players who want the challenge the new system could be an option that could be enabled in the settings. But why change the system entirely with no option for those players who actually liked the easier and more free system?

I love playing with whims, because I use bienchens Whim overhaul!

I LOVED that whims in Sims 4 were different than in Sims 2 where you HAD to fullfill their wishes or otherwise they would be unhappy, same with the - in my opinion - stupid fears. I was so glad that in Sims 4 whims were just options and not forced on the player. The whims gave me freedom to play how I wanted to play, if I wanted a different whim i could just click the wrong ones away until I get the perfect whim for my story.

But NOW I'm stuck again with the forced wants and fears system that I hated in Sims 2. If I'm lucky, a mod will make it optional again, but somehow I'm getting tired of needing to rely on mods.

Some of the changes in this update and the upcoming pack are causing real stress for me. I so wish that every change in basegame would also have an option to be turned off.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have not updated my game yet...for multiple reasons! And that is one of them. Really? We can't just click anymore on a whim - sorry "want" - to remove it, instead we have to buy a potion everytime? No, just...NO!
    I'm repeating myself: Why no options? For those players who want the challenge the new system could be an option that could be enabled in the settings. But why change the system entirely with no option for those players who actually liked the easier and more free system?

I LOVED that whims in Sims 4 were different than in Sims 2 where you HAD to fullfill their wishes or otherwise they would be unhappy, same with the - in my opinion - stupid fears. I was so glad that in Sims 4 whims were just options and not forced on the player. The whims gave me freedom to play how I wanted to play, if I wanted a different whim i could just click the wrong ones away until I get the perfect whim for my story.

But NOW I'm stuck again with the forced wants and fears system that I hated in Sims 2. If I'm lucky, a mod will make it optional again, but somehow I'm getting tired of needing to rely on mods.

Some of the changes in this update and the upcoming pack are causing real stress for me. I so wish that every change in basegame would also have an option to be turned off.

You can turn wants and fears off in the gameplay settings menu. Whims were automatically turned off for me so the wants and fears will likely stay the same way.
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2022
    @Brd709 Thank you for the reply. I know, that we can turn them entirely off. But I like the whims just like they were in their old form, with the freedom to click them away whenever I want and no fears.

I want to have the old system as an option and turn off the new "improved" wants and fears, because they are more interfering to my style of playing.

Brd709 wrote: »

You can turn wants and fears off in the gameplay settings menu. Whims were automatically turned off for me so the wants and fears will likely stay the same way.

it wont bring whims back though
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited July 2022
    My straight sim wanted to ask his gay brother to be his boyfriend. :|
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    So far the wants are better than the whims. However there is flaws. The want to listen to a certain music station repeats constantly. And I found out to my detriment that you have to use the stereo to complete that want. Ear buds don’t count.

I’ve had one fear of not fulfilling dreams because she wasn’t fulfilling listening to her favourite radio station as I was trying to complete it via the ear buds. I’ve not had anymore.

Its better than whims but not as good or as deep as the sims 2&3
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited July 2022
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.

The third want is situational. The example they gave in the live stream was if your sim is out at a bar they may want a drink, or a particular drink. That want will last until they they do that action or until the leave the lot. They did also mention something about wanting to conquer their fear, that's probably what you had. I don't think the third want is supposed to be something that's there constantly like the third whim, and I don't get the impression that it will be as flighty as the whim tied to emotions was.

Ah, thank you - that makes sense. Unfourtuantely even when my Sims went to community lots (I believe I had them to go to a restaurant and a park yesterday) neither of them had a third want pop up. It doesn't seem like they'll have the third want appear much unless that's just my game or I haven't played long enough yet.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2022
    So far I find the wants more intrusive than the sims 2. For example my sim yesterday in game wanted to be actively disliked by a sim called Kekeru. So I fulfilled it as I didn’t like him. A day later she rolls a want to be his friend. If that doesn’t get fulfilled she will have the fear of unfulfilled dreams. Sims 2 fears made much more logical sense.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    edited July 2022
    I liked the old whim system. I only wanted them to be updated to add whims from more recent packs. My entire play style is based around whims, so this change ruins the game for me. Im not updating until we either get an option to have the old system back, or the new wants are fixed. They need to have wants that include all expansion, game and stuff packs.
    Post edited by SeashoreLivia on
  • WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    I got a want to use the toilet when the bladder turned red :D
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I've played a few days now and this far my main issue with wants is that my twice my sim has wanted to do something with deceased sims who aren't part of the household. That's basically impossible want to fulfill as you can't call or visit ghosts.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I've played a few days now and this far my main issue with wants is that my twice my sim has wanted to do something with deceased sims who aren't part of the household. That's basically impossible want to fulfill as you can't call or visit ghosts.

I guess it's a bit realistic and sad... but annoying in terms of gameplay.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    musteni wrote: »

I guess it's a bit realistic and sad... but annoying in terms of gameplay.
    I play this save on short lifespan, so almost half of her relationships are with ghosts. It might not be an issue in a save where sims don't die so quickly.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

To be honest this system doesn’t seem very much at all like that in the Sims 2
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Worramot wrote: »
    I got a want to use the toilet when the bladder turned red :D

Yes, apparently you get wants that are related to needs when they drop. It seems a bit redundant, but on the other hand, your Sim gets 5 reward points for eating when hungry, etc.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    So far the wants are better than the whims. However there is flaws. The want to listen to a certain music station repeats constantly. And I found out to my detriment that you have to use the stereo to complete that want. Ear buds don’t count.

Okay, that's just... dumb.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top