Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do on Patch Day when you use mods....

WhubbleWhubble Posts: 62 Member
edited July 2022 in General Mods Discussion
I've been playing the sims since its release in 2000 on a PC. My best practice advice on patch day is to remove your entire sims folder to your computer's desktop and start your game with all new files while it updates. Start a new save and play on it for a bit so you can test it out and see what issues may be present that aren't related to mods and cc. Then follow the updated thread under Mods General in the forums and your feeds to see when modders do their updates. As they release them, add them back in a few at a time and play to see if any have issues. If you find any, visit your modder's suggested site (discord, website, etc.) and let them know. Sometimes for this patch type, modders may wait until after the game pack releases to fully update their mods.

Most of the time CC works ok. But, sometimes changes are made that will cause even CC to stop working right. The last patch broke alpha hairs. This one is bound to break custom tattoos, body hair, acne, and maybe even makeup. I recall the patch where custom windows stopped working correctly, and slotted chairs also stopped working on another patch.

So I find it best to pull out my Sims 4 folder and save it to my PC's desktop, start up the game and let it update, and play on it for a while in a fresh save to test it out and see if there are any game-related bugs, etc. This is a great time to make cc-free lots and sims for the gallery and dream up that next big story or challenge you want to try! Or even better, have the Pancakes have a baby or help Eric Lewis move up in his career, try out a werewolf achievement, etc. It's kind of fun to get out of your comfort zone and try new things because you know that save you have been playing on forever is safely removed and unharmed! No fear of messing up your stories or challenges already in play. Also, you won't have a bunch of bald naked sims running around.

To prepare for these couple days, I have a base save with no cc or mods used, with every lot replaced with my own or gallery lots and my personal changes to the NPC's that come loaded with the Sims 4 plus some of my own. I play on this save when a new patch is added so I don't suffer with Sims withdrawal.

Just some food for thought :)
The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2

Comments

• Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    I usually just don’t play for a couple of days after a patch. But your idea is great too! I always keep an eye on the Broken Mods thread as a matter of course.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't patch until I see what (if anything) breaks. I don't have any interest in a new save and for me, it's just too risky. I can wait/play offline. I also have another computer that I can use if for some reason I really needed to test out new things or wanted to try a new save.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Since EA is 3 hours later, I'm in EDT so I have a real good chance of starting my game, before the patch drops so I can play all day while I keep track of which of my mods have been updated. Since deaderpool and weerbuscu are both quick on the updates, I don't stress out too much on patch day. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.