Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Why does my Sim want to ask a random townie he'd recently met [that has a HUSBAND, mind you] to be his girlfriend even though they've never done any romantic socials? @_@
  • phenson65phenson65 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @CK213 said:
    > I started grinning when I saw my sim wanted to listen to Jazz music.
    > Not the fact that it was Jazz, but because it was based off one of her likes. This is what I wanted most for Whims (now Wants).
    > It helps bring out their personalities.
    >
    > I went through my current household and all their likes were about things related to traits, aspirations, relationships, and likes.
    > Nothing about Bee Boxes or 1 x 1 pools.
    >
    > What I don't like is they removed the cancel feature and they expect you to buy a potion to cancel the want.
    > Talk about short-sighted, so what if you roll another Want that you don't want? Are you going to buy another potion?
    > No, so it's a feature that few people will actually use, or use very sparingly.
    >
    > That must be there because the amount of wants are actually limited and it will keep you from seeing how quickly they roll the same wants again.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.

The third want is situational. The example they gave in the live stream was if your sim is out at a bar they may want a drink, or a particular drink. That want will last until they they do that action or until the leave the lot. They did also mention something about wanting to conquer their fear, that's probably what you had. I don't think the third want is supposed to be something that's there constantly like the third whim, and I don't get the impression that it will be as flighty as the whim tied to emotions was.
  • phenson65phenson65 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @phenson65 said:
    > > @CK213 said:
    > > I started grinning when I saw my sim wanted to listen to Jazz music.
    > > Not the fact that it was Jazz, but because it was based off one of her likes. This is what I wanted most for Whims (now Wants).
    > > It helps bring out their personalities.
    > >
    > > I went through my current household and all their likes were about things related to traits, aspirations, relationships, and likes.
    > > Nothing about Bee Boxes or 1 x 1 pools.
    > >
    > > What I don't like is they removed the cancel feature and they expect you to buy a potion to cancel the want.
    > > Talk about short-sighted, so what if you roll another Want that you don't want? Are you going to buy another potion?
    > > No, so it's a feature that few people will actually use, or use very sparingly.
    > >
    > > That must be there because the amount of wants are actually limited and it will keep you from seeing how quickly they roll the same wants again.
    >
    >

Sorry about the quote only post. I'm new to this and pushed the wrong button. :wink:

Good riddance to the bee boxes and 1 x 1 pools. The loss of the cancel button is a real pain. I'm getting wants from my family oriented sims to do things that are way ahead of where they are at in their relationship. Thinking about leaving notes and drawing for people when they don't have one of those bulletin boards. None of my families have those bulletin boards because of those exact, endlessly repeating whims. Now, we get them as wants just out of the blue and can't make them go away.

This is NOT acceptable. I really hope they fix it or I'm going to have to turn them off and I really like using whims/wants and fears to guide my gameplay.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think wants are not bad. They depend on your sims' traits, aspirations and careers (oh, and some depends on venue they're on). My hot-headed sim wanted to win a competitive game, my glutton sim wanted to order pizza, a sim in the culinary career wanted to watch culinary videos. The only thing that I found strange is that my sims with family aspirations wanted to mentor children, even though they didn't have any. I think the first thing they should want is to marry/have a baby. I guess a want to mentor kids is okay too, I just hope we'll see actually big wishes that will guide sims in life.
    Two of my eight sims developed a fear of fire after the fire, one of the too also got a want to extinguish the fire (I think that's the type of want that will help sims to conquer their fears).
    But currently there are not a lot of fears.

We definitely need more! But I love these fears so far. 😍
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • StormfiewStormfiew Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel there needs to be a way for some of them to stop rolling as some of them feel impossible to do
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    I really like the change they made taking out the cancel button and replacing it by a Potion on the Rewards Store. It makes wants and to accomplish them more meaningful. :smiley:
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    So far in the short time I've gotten to play, the wants have been fantastic. They have fit nicely with my sim's aspirations, personalities, traits, and interests. The wants I've had have also been easy to complete. I'm just getting started, but at this point I'm loving wants more than whims. It's bliss to play for an hour or so and not have a single want about buying a dishwasher, a bee box, and any of a hundred other ridiculous things my sims were always getting the urge to blow money on.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think wants are not bad. They depend on your sims' traits, aspirations and careers (oh, and some depends on venue they're on). My hot-headed sim wanted to win a competitive game, my glutton sim wanted to order pizza, a sim in the culinary career wanted to watch culinary videos. The only thing that I found strange is that my sims with family aspirations wanted to mentor children, even though they didn't have any. I think the first thing they should want is to marry/have a baby. I guess a want to mentor kids is okay too, I just hope we'll see actually big wishes that will guide sims in life.
    Two of my eight sims developed a fear of fire after the fire, one of the too also got a want to extinguish the fire (I think that's the type of want that will help sims to conquer their fears).
    But currently there are not a lot of fears.

What is don’t understand is what happens if a fear is actualized? For example, if your sim has a fear of fire and then a fire starts on the lot, are there any consequences? What’s the point?

Well, it said that sims with a fear of fire will have a harder time around fires and may start a fire more often.
    When a sim has a fear of unfulfilled dreams, his mood will get worse and worse (sad, tense, then enraged) until the fear is conquered or dreams are fulfilled.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't see any difference to whims. I played for quite a while after the update and nothing's really changed. I'm not disappointed, but I was expecting something mega awesome because it was hyped so much.

it looks like they removed some from parent hood and jungle adventure @kimmer :'(
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • David8_LyDavid8_Ly Posts: 41 Member
    It is nice that a few people have mentioned that wants not being cancelled out could be a big problem. What was EA thinking when they were making wants? I am hoping that the cancelling out option being taken away from wants was a bug or at least a mistake instead of intentional. Already multiple bugs have been reported from this update which is quite shocking to me actually that an update would have so many bugs included as well.
  • WanevWanev Posts: 8 New Member
    So, I just came back to the Sims last night after a year or so hiatus so I was a bit surprised by all of the changes. The fears are already getting a bit out of hand. My sim gets the fear of a dead end job roughly every 2-3 work days. There isn't much point in resolving the fear if it just comes right back. The hilarious thing is he even got it on the day that he was promoted to the top end of the investor career. You just made it to the career mountaintop and you are upset about it? My dude needs to relax.

I resolved the fear of being cheated on and no longer get negative moodlets but it is still listed in my traits. Not sure what is going on there.

I am really not a fan of this feature... at all.
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    It feels so weird to play with Wants. I haven't played with Wants in over a month (since I uninstalled Sims 3 to give my computer a break). I didn't have whims on there. And my Sims' wants were so...basic. "I want to listen to Metal" "I want to listen to jazz". Like, dude, want something that actually progresses the story. It's cool. Idk how Whims worked, but it seems pretty normal to me. NO glitches, no nothing.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    My new Sim (created for a scenario) is constantly scared of the dark, even when it's not dark. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this is a bug... :#
  • WanevWanev Posts: 8 New Member
    Whew. I just noticed that you can turn off wants/fears. Good news to me. I am leaving it off until it is more balanced.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    So yesterday my sim had a want to take a day off. I did that but I also forgot I did that so on his supposed day off I sent him to work anyway. When he came back he developed a fear of dead end job. Nice!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
    Okay, so I found a major flaw in wants system — most of them seem to be basegame. That means if you create a sim with pack-only traits and aspiration, they will have only boring generic wants like "get to know X" or even NO WANTS AT ALL. That was the case for my cat-loving, high maintenance, unflirty sim. Just after creation she wanted... nothing. Like nothing at all. Then I took her to a bar and she got a want to order a drink, and after chatting with some sims she got a want to know them better. But that was all.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I'm not really surprised the wants/fears system is buggy. I haven't tried it out yet but I know it's going to annoy me that I can't cancel them. That seems a bit of a weird choice since we've always been able to cancel wants we didn't want.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
    yes this is awful
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Okay, according to several posts on Reddit the Wants system causes sims to "Want" to break up, and the want cannot be removed? Is this true?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Why does my Sim want to ask a random townie he'd recently met [that has a HUSBAND, mind you] to be his girlfriend even though they've never done any romantic socials? @_@

Because new patch and a ton of bugs because of it.
    Okay, according to several posts on Reddit the Wants system causes sims to "Want" to break up, and the want cannot be removed? Is this true?

yes it is
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.

The third want is situational. The example they gave in the live stream was if your sim is out at a bar they may want a drink, or a particular drink. That want will last until they they do that action or until the leave the lot. They did also mention something about wanting to conquer their fear, that's probably what you had. I don't think the third want is supposed to be something that's there constantly like the third whim, and I don't get the impression that it will be as flighty as the whim tied to emotions was.

Basically it is exactly like in Sims 3, where the third wish is much flimsier than the others, basically a Whim.
    I like whim better then this

There's a potion to refresh your wants. It changes all of them though if they are not pinned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top