Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
edited February 13 in Nominated Threads
I wanted to make a dedicated thread to talk about the Wants & Fears addition to the base game now that it is released.

Summary of Key Feedback in this Thread

1) People have issues with the kinds of wants occurring and say there is little variety or are illogical.
  • many musical preferences lead to an overwhelming amount of music wants i.e. no apparent hard cap on % frequency
  • illogical and intrusive wants, e.g. want to be actively disliked by a sim followed by another want to be friends with this sim
2) Scope of wants is way too small, mostly covering base game and High School.
  • causes severe issues when you play with sims using traits and aspirations not in the base game or High School - only get generic wants
  • when they do work, wants are relevant to the traits and personality of the sims, which people liked
  • no context-dependent wants, such as university students getting university-related wants
3) Wants themselves seem too similar to whims, often resulting in desires to do quick interactions.
  • wants like listening to music, playing video games, pouring a drink are NOT larger goals that many loved in the Sims 2
  • these action wants are similar to what Sims would do autonomously with the AI, so some don't see the point and desire more sophisticated wants
4) Mixed reactions to the fact that wants are not rerolled and are static.
  • buying a potion is a pro for some. Others missed dynamic slot-machine "rolling" and locking of wants from the Sims 2
5) Concerning incest glitch is occurring.
  • game not recognizing/ checking for family relationships before generating romantic wants
6) Fears seem to occur too infrequently for some people; when they do occur, some do not like that they are implemented as a semi-permanent trait that gets added to your sim.
  • fears locking the ability to do things like lighting a fire with no clear way to overcome the fear
  • fears potentially getting stuck
  • some preferred the way Sims 2 handled fears
7) Fears, like wants, seem to appear arbitrarily and illogically.
  • Sim who just got promoted in their career [culinary] tied to their aspiration [master chef] getting a fear of being in a dead-end job

Hopefully, this is helpful! @SimGuruGeorge @SimGuruNova @SimGuruNick @SimGuruLyndsay @SimGuruAzure @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruFrost @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruNinja @SimGuruRomeo

Lunar_Britney on X recently created a mockup of what a true Wants and Fears system, with aspiration meter and lifetime wish, would look like - all in a single UI panel!

rs9dovc787hn.png
dlulevded8nu.png
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2022
    I've played for a while but haven't gotten a single fear yet.

Edit: One hour later and still no fear. Is it supposed to be triggered by bad experiences or what?
    Post edited by Icewolf on
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I think wants are not bad. They depend on your sims' traits, aspirations and careers (oh, and some depends on venue they're on). My hot-headed sim wanted to win a competitive game, my glutton sim wanted to order pizza, a sim in the culinary career wanted to watch culinary videos. The only thing that I found strange is that my sims with family aspirations wanted to mentor children, even though they didn't have any. I think the first thing they should want is to marry/have a baby. I guess a want to mentor kids is okay too, I just hope we'll see actually big wishes that will guide sims in life.
    Two of my eight sims developed a fear of fire after the fire, one of the too also got a want to extinguish the fire (I think that's the type of want that will help sims to conquer their fears).
    But currently there are not a lot of fears.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    edited July 2022
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think wants are not bad. They depend on your sims' traits, aspirations and careers (oh, and some depends on venue they're on). My hot-headed sim wanted to win a competitive game, my glutton sim wanted to order pizza, a sim in the culinary career wanted to watch culinary videos. The only thing that I found strange is that my sims with family aspirations wanted to mentor children, even though they didn't have any. I think the first thing they should want is to marry/have a baby. I guess a want to mentor kids is okay too, I just hope we'll see actually big wishes that will guide sims in life.
    Two of my eight sims developed a fear of fire after the fire, one of the too also got a want to extinguish the fire (I think that's the type of want that will help sims to conquer their fears).
    But currently there are not a lot of fears.

What I don’t understand is what happens if a fear is actualized? For example, if your sim has a fear of fire and then a fire starts on the lot, are there any consequences? What’s the point?
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Maybe I'm missing it, but can anyone tell me where the wants and fears are located in game? Late to the party here but I really have no idea :confused:
    giphy.gif
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Maybe I'm missing it, but can anyone tell me where the wants and fears are located in game? Late to the party here but I really have no idea :confused:

Your wants are where the whims used to be. I'm still figuring out fears since I haven't had one yet.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited July 2022
    They are OK. Word of warning if you give your sim a ton of musical preferences they will roll wants to listen to those genres repeatedly. I suggest just giving one or two favorites to your sims instead of huge list unless maybe you have a Music Lover Sim. I enjoy how my one Sim rolled a want to be mean to someone they already have a bad relationship with and I prefer that those be the kind of deeper ones I roll more. Still have lots of experimenting to do with the feature though. We will see. I really want to know what wants and fears they added from past packs. I will be very disappointed if they just half did this feature just like they did with likes/dislikes and not adding a ton of skills/hobbies to choose from.
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member

I believe they show up in the whims section and also in traits
  • kadoracsimskadoracsims Posts: 13 New Member
    does this make the father winter's child trait officially useless? or did they update it to match the wants instead of whims?
  • SansannaSansanna Posts: 37 Member
    I ran into a first weird want.. One of my sims, for whom I just set the preferences for him to be aromantic, just had the want to ask a completely platonic friend of his to be his girlfriend. Like, those two don't even have the romantic bar visible because there has never been anything romantic between them. And now he's not even supposed to be interested in romantic relationship. So um.. that's random. Seems pretty much like good-old whims to me (as in how random they are).
    Gallery id: sannaljm
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I don't see any difference to whims. I played for quite a while after the update and nothing's really changed. I'm not disappointed, but I was expecting something mega awesome because it was hyped so much.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2022
    Apparently there are no wants and fears for packs other than the high school one (besides base game) - I'm VERY disappointed.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Apparently there are no wants and fears for packs other than the high school one (besides base game) - I'm VERY disappointed.

I’m disappointed too as George indicated in a tweet that wasn’t the case. Now I assume he must have meant base game and not previous packs. I’m sad 😔.

• kadoracsimskadoracsims Posts: 13 New Member
    are there a list of wants? particularly the longterm wants? i imagine the shorter term ones will be just like whims and too long of a list anyway
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2022
    I started grinning when I saw my sim wanted to listen to Jazz music.
    Not the fact that it was Jazz, but because it was based off one of her likes. This is what I wanted most for Whims (now Wants).
    It helps bring out their personalities.

I went through my current household and all their likes were about things related to traits, aspirations, relationships, and likes.
    Nothing about Bee Boxes or 1 x 1 pools.

What I don't like is they removed the cancel feature and they expect you to buy a potion to cancel the want.
    Talk about short-sighted, so what if you roll another Want that you don't want? Are you going to buy another potion?
    No, so it's a feature that few people will actually use, or use very sparingly.

That must be there because the amount of wants are actually limited and it will keep you from seeing how quickly they roll the same wants again.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Creen_Bean23Creen_Bean23 Posts: 5 New Member
    Wants and Fears aren't showing up, though they are enabled in my game.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I'm not seeing any wants and fears in my game since the update or no sexuality options in CAS.
  • Creen_Bean23Creen_Bean23 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Brd709 said:
    > I'm not seeing any wants and fears in my game since the update or no sexuality options in CAS.

The sexuality options I did find, under the male female symbols where it says Customize Gender
    So it looks like wants and fears have replaced whims it seems. I just found them above my sim self's icon.
    > @Brd709 said:
    > I'm not seeing any wants and fears in my game since the update or no sexuality options in CAS.

The sexuality options I did find, under the male female symbols where it says Customize Gender

Thank you. I had to enable CAS.fulleditmode to see this in current households.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    My sim broke up with her boyfriend last week, and they got back together. She got a want to break up with him saying she fell out of love 😳 the break up was bad…but they’re kinda at 3/4 romantic bar and halfway friends
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Is there supposed to be a 3rd want? I've only had the two wants with my two Sims and the only time a third one appeared it was to initiate them to get rid of a fear they had developed. Once the fear was gone it was back to two wants it seems.
  • AugustoAugusto Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2022
    I tested Wants and Fears a bit... I make a sim with base game traits and aspiration (her wants are relatable with her stuff..fine) but her brother got only dlc traits and aspiration... his wants was only about having friends and he got a Want to ask her to be his girlfriend (because they are friends.. weird).... So i think Sims team didn't comeback to older packs and make wants for some traits/aspirations

Not my twitter.. just someone with same issue
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    They are OK. Word of warning if you give your sim a ton of musical preferences they will roll wants to listen to those genres repeatedly. I suggest just giving one or two favorites to your sims instead of huge list unless maybe you have a Music Lover Sim. I enjoy how my one Sim rolled a want to be mean to someone they already have a bad relationship with and I prefer that those be the kind of deeper ones I roll more. Still have lots of experimenting to do with the feature though. We will see. I really want to know what wants and fears they added from past packs. I will be very disappointed if they just half did this feature just like they did with likes/dislikes and not adding a ton of skills/hobbies to choose from.

Unfourtunately I just happen to be playing a music loving couple and I am getting a ton of wants to listen to the stereo. They both only have a few favourite music types but they constantly get the want to listen to the stereo. Hopefully this can be tuned down a bit in the future so they roll some other wants more often.
  • nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    Leave it to the modders to make it better now lmao
  • AndaurilAndauril Posts: 42 Member
    What High School related Fears are there, did anyone see that in the early access content? I've seen Fear of Failing Classes, I'm guessing there are more than that tho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top