Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do we have four (?) different "Social Media" careers in the game?

Title, basically. Not counting just being "living off of Patreon doing videos" of course, which is also an option.
Style Influencer, Instagram Model, Vlogger, Twitch Streamer, Try-On-Haul "model"... Basically that's two careers, tops, where Twitch Game Streamer probably is the only odd one out.

It all feels like the options should have been added to the actual career as sub-paths or options, not "new" careers, which they really aren't.

PR person should not even have been included in the first career, or rather have been it's own thing (or part of the business career). It just is completely different from everything else.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited July 2022
    yeah idk why they keep spamming the social media type careers I never use those careers cause i find them utterly boring
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    yeah idk why they keep spamming the social media type careers I never use those careers cause i find them utterly boring

After we got the video editing table I never join a career, I just record videos and upload them. The only thing you miss out on are some less-than-nifty "rewards" with emotional effects but in return you never have to meet a goal other than "being able to pay bills".
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Because they're trying to play to the fantasy of making a living off of social media fame, and there are different avenues to it: gaming, fashion and beauty, lifestyle, exploiting your children for profit, making cheap copy-paste nursery rhyme videos...They've gotta cover all the bases.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Agree, and I really don't get why they keep giving us the same freelance streaming career as well. We've had 3 packs now add the exact same "get success and followers on the computer" gameplay.

First City Living added the social media career, where you can build online followers, do gaming live streams, upload simtube videos, etc and earn a living from doing that, all from your sims computer.
    Then Get Famous added a new video editing table where you can... build online followers, do gaming live streams, upload simtube videos, etc and earn a living from doing that, all from your sims computer.
    Then High School adds brand new never before seen streaming gameplay, where you can... build online followers, do gaming live streams, upload simtube videos, etc and earn a living from doing that, all from your sims computer.

Personally I think it's so sad how little gameplay we have around internet fame, the next pack after High School should definitely be a full game pack dedicated to getting famous online!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I can only assume it’s because they have people that are analyzing trends and what younger people like and that’s why this is prioritized.

The game is 8 years old and I think those people want to make sure that they keep refreshing their player base with new players.

It also feels like their budget is very limited so they can only do one career or something similiar so they have to cut corners everywhere.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Because they're trying to play to the fantasy of making a living off of social media fame, and there are different avenues to it: gaming, fashion and beauty, lifestyle, exploiting your children for profit, making cheap copy-paste nursery rhyme videos...They've gotta cover all the bases.

Yes but all of them do the exact same thing.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The old advertising/education gimmick of endless repetition so we will automatically respond how they want us to?
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I don't even play the social media careers. That's ridiculous.
  • PineappleMaplePineappleMaple Posts: 16 Member
    Agree, I never play with these careers, seem useless to me
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    I doubt they could have added to existing careers, except for base game ones, but I wish.
    It's getting a little repetitive for those that have all the add ons
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    edited July 2022
    Now, an active social media career might be something. We already have streaming on Get Famous, could they have one where you have to send your drone out to investigate someplace, or do research and speak favorably/against something- ie for favorable be confident, and angry for against.
  • LadyOracleLadyOracle Posts: 23 Member
    I mean sure, there are a lot of ways to get internet famous...which I suppose could be lumped under a social media "career" - but there are actual social media careers, like social media manager, that aren't about being famous, but about being very, very busy lol.