Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are your house building skills?

Comments

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Kbobster wrote: »
    Yay! I figured out how to put pictures on here! Here are my builds. The tan house is 1870s Second Empire. This style is mostly found in the Midwest. Although, there are few in other locations. Mine was a coastal/southern one.
    The colorful one next to it is an 1880s Queen Anne style, Painted Lady specifically. I could be wrong, but I feel that these are more common in California. (Painted Lady, not Queen Anne).
    And the blue one is another Queen Anne with a more general palette, which can be found anywhere. This one is from the 1890s in my mind. I'm creating a Turn-Of-the-Century Queen Anne, but I got tired of it. You can see it next to the 2nd Empire.

PRtRx0h.png

Love the colorful Queen Ann - please post the Gallery link, or what they are named, and/or your gallery name. - thanks

I'm K-Bobster in the gallery.(the colorful house is named: 1889 Queen Anne) Sorry, I don't know how to put the link. It's a haunted house, but you can change it in Build Mode. If you're unsure how to do it, I can walk you through it,

Found them - thanks
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited July 2022
    I can build a box
    btw does anyone else really struggle building single story houses that don't just look like boredom box on the outside

I've been thinking of making some for my wolves since the stairs slow them down but I just can't find magic in single story

I feel like I at least need to make small attic to break the shape
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I can do better with legos
    Simmingal wrote: »
    btw does anyone else really struggle building single story houses that don't just look like boredom box on the outside

I've been thinking of making some for my wolves since the stairs slow them down but I just can't find magic in single story

Well you can always do like I do, I like the look of multiple story houses, but I hate to play in them, so I remove everything upstairs so they have no reason to go upstairs, sometimes I even remove the actual stairs to give me more room, so from the outside it looks appealing and multi-storied but inside the living space is actually just on one floor.
    I can build a box

Well you can always do like I do, I like the look of multiple story houses, but I hate to play in them, so I remove everything upstairs so they have no reason to go upstairs, sometimes I even remove the actual stairs to give me more room, so from the outside it looks appealing and multi-storied but inside the living space is actually just on one floor.

I could ofcourse but I just feel like it also makes visually no sense that all my houses end up 2-3 story :lol:
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Getting Off-the-Ground Construction Company
    Struggled deciding how to vote. A few of my builds I've been proud enough of to post them in the gallery though few people seem to look at them.
    The cake is a lie
    I can build a box
    Plus it helps alot if there's a new pack around that really gets my attention and gets the creative juices flowing. I remember when Get Famous came out and I built 3 lots from scratch in one day. That almost NEVER happens.
    give me that creative juice box imma chug it cause i still haven't been able to build anything in get famous mansion lots :lol:
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Not good at all
    I really only know two or so styles, which I'm O.K. at, but nothing outside of it. Not good at all.
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Struggled deciding how to vote. A few of my builds I've been proud enough of to post them in the gallery though few people seem to look at them.

What's your gallery name? I like to build-but I mostly just get stuff off the gallery.

• duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    Ohh I'd like to add a few pictures of my builds too! 😊

Mt. Komorebi house:
    75n3YYZ.jpg

GCARxYC.jpg

runiAkt.jpg

Black and white colonial (from imagination):
    CrXh420.jpg

u0bwMc6.jpg

ySqZBLT.jpg

Oasis Springs Spanish colonial:
    ujKcALj.jpg

s0Nd5Qr.jpg

IOWWKQa.jpg

cQUYSgI.jpg

Based on a house my mom really loves:
    JAlNI9X.jpg

GUvlRuF.jpg

XIBikYZ.jpg

Secluded cabin starter:
    jBywciF.jpg

HnTbyML.jpg

Countryside manor:
    rKMavae.jpg

YXfIaoP.jpg

AEoIXRS.jpg

wTSa4Ok.jpg

5Vd9mkX.jpg

JSe1hMW.jpg
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @duriankind Love your builds! In my opinion, your builds are better than getting off the ground! I voted that category as well as I feel I am not an expert. I do love to build though, and am inspired by real homes, historical, and real haunted houses, as well as fictional. Can't show pics as I haven't set that ability up as yet. I am particular about my building as I like it to look as close as possible to the real one but want to be sure it is completely functional so I limit MOO to mainly the landscaping and usually only front of house. Think I might be a bit OCD as I have to research specific houses I want to build. But I find so many with very interesting histories! My gallery id is MaggieMae7276 if anyone wants to take a peek. I am planning to add the ability to put up pics when life slows down a bit.
    @maggiemae8135 Oh thank you so much! That's very kind of you. 🙂 I am pretty proud of most of my houses, but I was really hesitant to call myself a "professional architect god" lol, it seems a little too braggy for my liking and I also know that there is plenty I can improve on as well. 😁

I checked out your gallery page and I love your builds as well!! I think my favorites are the brick starter home and the Victorian houses you've made! I like what you said about using MOO as well -- I know that that's a huge point of frustration for myself and others when downloading the gallery, the houses are so cluttered that they aren't even playable. I tend to use MOO quite a bit in my builds but in order to offset any issues that might stem from that I always make sure I playtest everything before uploading to the gallery! It boggles my mind that a lot of builders out there don't seem to take the extra time to playtest.
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @duriankind Thank you! Glad you like them! I love old houses and especially enjoy taking an old abandoned one and returning it to it's original state. Can't do it in real life so do it on Sims LOL! I agree playtesting is important. I have been building since Sims 2 but didn't put on the gallery until Sims 4. Started putting my houses up at the request of my kids, who wanted their sims to live in houses we lived in.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »

What's your gallery name? I like to build-but I mostly just get stuff off the gallery.

I named my gallery JustMeAlb
    The cake is a lie
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 300 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think I'm quite good, and in my own head I'd like to think that I'm "a professional level architect and interior designer" in The Sims, but I still have things to learn and to improve, especially roofing is something that I still struggle with sometimes, so I think I'm not quite yet in that level, but I think I'm getting close to that little by little :blush:

I love building and decorating. It's great that in The Sims I can be an architect and interior designer that I wish I could be IRL (IRL I just don't have what it takes), but in The Sims I can do all of this and I can implement my creativity in this way! :blush:
    I love all the aspects of this game so I also love playing the game in live mode, and that's why it's also very important to me that all of the builds are fully functional (my own builds and the new versions of the game's premade builds that I've made).
    I'm using them (my own creations and premade builds' -renovations) in my own game so they are naturally playtested as well. And in case I'd notice any mistake or issue, I'd immediately fix them :blush:

I can build from scratch using my imagination, my vision, and my own plans, and I enjoy that a lot. I love building residential and community lots, all different types of builds and lots.
    Sometimes I like to use a real house/ building as an inspiration, so I search those from the Internet, or magazines or sometimes I see a great house/ building in TV or in a movie, and get inspiration from there :blush:
    Sometimes I download a house /community lot from the Gallery and make some changes to my own use. There are so many wonderful builds made by talented builders, it's great that we have the Gallery! <3
    Post edited by Aaleyn on
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I build when I tire of a difficult sim. I enjoy building and more favorite style has to be ranch. Everything's on one stinking floor, lol. I still suffer from the bouncing betty camera so many times I find myself building basements rather than fight with a second floor.

I also love downloading from the gallery then redoing the houses, community lots...sorry. I enjoy redecorating an EA build because, they are horrible for my style.

Probably the most fun I've had building and decorating is with the Eco Lifestyle ep. I can furnish an entire house with the stuff from this pack, not so much others.

I hardly ever upload to the gallery because of my love affair with custom content. My houses look great but non uploadable. I just play for myself anyway.

My style has to include at least 2 exits from each room...shell shock from building in Sims 3. Most houses are small to medium with a max bedrooms of 1-2. I don't play large families normally, 3-4 sims in a house is plenty for me.

I love ranch homes. If it's not too much trouble, can you post one? It's okay if not. I should make more ranch homes. I love the style in real life. Besides townhomes, ranch homes are my other dream house.

Hi Kbobster! Posting pictures for me has always been tenuous at best, lol. I have a few lots on the gallery, id is same as here, bshag4lv. I am particularly proud of my GF Retreat, nice build, no cc.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member

I love building more levels for the architectural look, as well as using the vertical space instead of the entire lot. But I often get impatient with sims running up and down the stairs while trying to interact when I wanna gather them somewhere. So I experiment with one levels. Or at least a main level, with fewer rooms upstairs. It's not always pretty. But there are styles like mid-century-modern that works really well on a one level. By adding a courtyard and different terraces you can break up the one dimensional box look. - But essentially it's still somewhat a box :D
    I should add I had a hard time choosing too. I think im somewhere between LEGO and a Construction Company.
    I love to build, but im always trying out new stuff, and it's not always great.
    - I always wanna try to bend the rules for walls, foundation, water and terrain. -Without using mods or CC, and with a realistic result that's fully functional and playable. I don't think you'll even know from looking at the final result :D
    duriankind wrote: »

Very nice! I especially like the Spanish-Contemporary house! It's a great combination of two styles I haven't seen together before.
    Stinalina wrote: »
    duriankind wrote: »

Very nice! I especially like the Spanish-Contemporary house! It's a great combination of two styles I haven't seen together before.

Thank you so much! I think the columns I chose for that one are what push it more towards that contemporary vibe; I was unsure about them honestly but I'm glad to hear it works. 😁
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I manage to make reasonably decent houses. I noticed reading through some of the replies that some people renovate existing builds. I don't think I've ever done that. Unless you count knocking out a wall and extending a room on one of the default houses.

It's interesting to look at styles of houses and see how close we can get with the tools at our disposal. This next expansion pack is adding some art deco elements as well as curved walls, so it's great to have some more build tools in the toolkit.

There was a house up for sale recently that was owned by the actor Jackie Gleason, listed on realtor.com. I learned that he was a big fan of UFOs, so they featured in his house. The whole structure was designed based on a treble clef motif (the music squiggle thingy at the start of sheet music).

https://realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/jackie-gleason-spaceship-party-house/

Now if we could get to that level of design, it would be awesome.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Building - What's That - I headed to the Gallery
    While I do like to think I've gotten better over time ever so slightly with my build skills at least for being an interior decorator...yeah I rely on Gallery builds heavily.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I wasn't able to do this 2 yrs ago:
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    Building - What's That - I headed to the Gallery
    Just like in Minecraft and Rust, I have great ideas in my head. But translating those ideas into the game is that of nightmares.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Professional Architect Good
    Three qualifiers
    1. Been doing this since TS1 first came out, so have a lot of practice and the corresponding mistakes
    2. I have an extensive library of plans & photos of actual buildings to follow/be inspired by
    3. Interior decorating is weakest, tends to be simple yet functional - none of the beautiful work a lot of you guys do.

That said, I know I'm not an expert, so am always looking for ways to improve. There is always someone who has a fresh take, discovers a new way to do something, sees something I don't.