Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Being able to designate rooms would alleviate a lot of issues.

NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
edited July 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
With the ability to select whole rooms pretty much already in the game, it could be a rather simple thing to add. This would remove needing ‘requirements’ to make a room function – a rather limiting thing that oft annoys me in other games with building.

Picture this: you select a room and you get that box where you can lift the platform up and down, move the room, rotate the room, raise/lower the wall height, and copy the room.

What if there was another thing that lets you designate what the room would be used for? For example, bedroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, library, bathroom, laundry room, et cetera. If you designate a room, Sims will focus on doing things that relate to that room in that room. No more washing dishes in the bathroom should a kitchen with a sink be designated. No more preparing meals in the bathroom because it has counters.

It also opens the door for the designation to have *more*. You can designate a room as a club hangout (with Get Together), forbidden (so no Sims enter). I can think of a lot just related to packs, but even more based on other things, too.

The sole benefit, though, is it makes gameplay less frustrating and adds a brief touch of realism to the game. Leaving a room undesignated makes it behave as it is now, so no sweeping change to affect everything already in the game.

Just a thought I had while playtesting a house that I built and watching my Sim ignore the four counters in the kitchen, go upstairs and prepare a salad on the bathroom counters.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ShanaSPutnamShanaSPutnam Posts: 13 New Member
    > @NoTalent said:
    > With the ability to select whole rooms pretty much already in the game, it could be a rather simple thing to add. This would remove needing ‘requirements’ to make a room function – a rather limiting thing that oft annoys me in other games with building.
    >
    > Picture this: you select a room and you get that box where you can lift the platform up and down, move the room, rotate the room, raise/lower the wall height, and copy the room.
    >
    > What if there was another thing that lets you designate what the room would be used for? For example, bedroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, library, bathroom, laundry room, et cetera. If you designate a room, Sims will focus on doing things that relate to that room in that room. No more washing dishes in the bathroom should a kitchen with a sink be designated. No more preparing meals in the bathroom because it has counters.
    >
    > It also opens the door for the designation to have *more*. You can designate a room as a club hangout (with Get Together), forbidden (so no Sims enter). I can think of a lot just related to packs, but even more based on other things, too.
    >
    > The sole benefit, though, is it makes gameplay less frustrating and adds a brief touch of realism to the game. Leaving a room undesignated makes it behave as it is now, so no sweeping change to affect everything already in the game.
    >
    > Just a thought I had while playtesting a house that I built and watching my Sim ignore the four counters in the kitchen, go upstairs and prepare a salad on the bathroom counters.

@NoTalent I 100% agree with this!!!
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited July 2022
    There's mods to help prevent sims from prepping food on counter or washing dishes in bathroom but it definitely should be an in-game feature.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    I wish sims would do this with public venues as well. Half the time it seems like my sims go to bars and night clubs to clean, mop. and do dishes.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    Being able to allocate a bedroom to a specific child would be a nice quality of life feature too. Then we can have the parents send them to their room for being naughty, or being told to tidy up their room.

There really should be a check to see if the Sim is within a certain distance of a fridge or cooking device to determine which surface to do food prep on.

I like @NoTalent's post.
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    Being able to allocate a bedroom to a specific child would be a nice quality of life feature too. Then we can have the parents send them to their room for being naughty, or being told to tidy up their room.

That would have been such a cool addition to the Parenthood pack!

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think this idea is brilliant. I wonder if they could possibly do this, along with the idea of seat assignments that someone had.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    StuffyMarx wrote: »

There really should be a check to see if the Sim is within a certain distance of a fridge or cooking device to determine which surface to do food prep on.

I like @NoTalent's post.

Isn't that more or less part of the function in assigning a bed, though? I don't normally have only one kid per room, even though there is more than enough space. Having siblings 'room' together can either foster bad relationships, or possible the opposite.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,343 Member
    I love the idea of being able to designate uses and specific sims for specific rooms! This is actually something I've been thinking about too lately.

One thing I really wish we could do (with the "take shoes off" feature from Snowy Escape) is designate on a room-by-room basis whether the sims should wear shoes, wear slippers, or go barefoot. In my Japanese style house, I really want my sims to wear slippers in the rooms with hard-wood or tile floors, and go barefoot (in socks) in the rooms with tatami mat floors. But unfortunately only one or the other can be chosen for the whole house. I chose slippers, because most of the floors are wood or tile, but I cringe every time I see them walking on the tatami mats with their slippers on. Being able to designate the rule room by room would be wonderful.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I love the idea of being able to designate uses and specific sims for specific rooms! This is actually something I've been thinking about too lately.

One thing I really wish we could do (with the "take shoes off" feature from Snowy Escape) is designate on a room-by-room basis whether the sims should wear shoes, wear slippers, or go barefoot. In my Japanese style house, I really want my sims to wear slippers in the rooms with hard-wood or tile floors, and go barefoot (in socks) in the rooms with tatami mat floors. But unfortunately only one or the other can be chosen for the whole house. I chose slippers, because most of the floors are wood or tile, but I cringe every time I see them walking on the tatami mats with their slippers on. Being able to designate the rule room by room would be wonderful.

Won't that make them stop in front of every room to put on slippers or remove them? From what I've seen of Japanese houses, they usually have an entrance area from which bathroom and toilet is accessed and where they leave their outside shoes and bathroom slippers, and the rest of the house is for barefoot walking only.