Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the devs will add a height modifier for CAS?

bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
Anyone know of any hints that this may be added. It truly would help their "all inclusive" goal that has been trending for a while. Why not create height adjustments so that the players can truly be represented?

Thoughts?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Nope, not in TS4. They would have to redo literally every. single. animation. For every. single. life stage.
  • PlutohasaheartPlutohasaheart Posts: 25 Member
    This is something I have wished for myself. I loved that in Sims 2, there was at least a cheat that could be used to adjust height, and that added a bit of diversity to my sims in that game. It's just one of those little details that I miss.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Since it wasn't added for a pack centred around teenagers I'd say definitely not sadly
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I'm thinking this will not ever be implemented. I think they made teens the same height and size to avoid having to create new animations from the start so I don't imagine they're going to go back and adjust every single animation to ensure clipping doesn't occur.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited July 2022
    They didn't give us tails as an option for werewolves due to "clipping issues" (even though every dress and skirt that flares outward noticeably clips into chairs, but they haven't banned flared skirts), and in spite of supposedly being all about "representation" and "inclusion", they neglected to give us adequate sliders on female werewolves for their hips, waist, and bust in werewolf form...So, no, they're never going to give us something as labor-intensive as a height slider if such simple additions as tails and the option for us to give proper feminine proportions to our female werewolves in their werewolf form were not worth the effort.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Nope, not in TS4. They would have to redo literally every. single. animation. For every. single. life stage.

Do you speak from experience in animation? Because, from my experience, it should be possible. Then again, I've never created an actual game. I also have never created an animation then changed the scale of anything. Nor am I in anyway professionally educated in animation. I only mess around with cg art and animation.

But theoretically, and I'd love to talk to people with more experience, I believe it should be possible.
    Renée09 wrote: »
    Not in Sims 4 cause its already been programmed without. Wish it had it tho, I'd like to have tall and short Sims...... Be cool to have right size teens as well

Again, in theory, from what I understand about mesh manipulation, targeting and rigging of animation skeletons, it should be possible moving forward. It could even be possible to add it retrospectively. But then, that would probably affect everyone's privately saved games. I don't know for sure, having never tried. But in theory, I see little reason why it wouldn't. Of course I haven't really done a lot of actual rigging but I have done enough to have a baseline understanding of the mechanics.
  • ThirteenCatzThirteenCatz Posts: 9 New Member
    such a shame, I'd love to see this
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

Do you speak from experience in animation? Because, from my experience, it should be possible. Then again, I've never created an actual game. I also have never created an animation then changed the scale of anything. Nor am I in anyway professionally educated in animation. I only mess around with cg art and animation.

But theoretically, and I'd love to talk to people with more experience, I believe it should be possible.

I'm pretty sure that the tech that Daz Studio uses for dynamic scaling was proprietary back in 2012 when Genesis came out. Same with Poser's take on the matter. (It's a factor in why the two platforms have been more and more split since over the past decade.)

It was also, at the time, outside of "Game animation" parameters, since game animation is usually required to be of a lower quality than art CGI, for the range of computer to be able to run it. Now, in that past decade, this has become less the case, but even the most photorealistic games tend to use shortcuts that CGI animation doesn't need to allow for.

So for Sims 5, height sliders could be (and hopefully will be) included, because game tech has mostly caught up with art tech. But it's not the sort of thing that can be added in retroactively, because it will require extensive reworking of the rigging system.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the tech that Daz Studio uses for dynamic scaling was proprietary back in 2012 when Genesis came out. Same with Poser's take on the matter. (It's a factor in why the two platforms have been more and more split since over the past decade.)

It was also, at the time, outside of "Game animation" parameters, since game animation is usually required to be of a lower quality than art CGI, for the range of computer to be able to run it. Now, in that past decade, this has become less the case, but even the most photorealistic games tend to use shortcuts that CGI animation doesn't need to allow for.

So for Sims 5, height sliders could be (and hopefully will be) included, because game tech has mostly caught up with art tech. But it's not the sort of thing that can be added in retroactively, because it will require extensive reworking of the rigging system.

I can see what you're saying so maybe not retroactively so existing existing sims may not be able to be adjusted but they could theoretically introduce new rigs and rigging systems in a future pack IF the new rig and the current can cohabitation within the coding.

Again, I'm no expert but from what I know about it (my experience is a couple decades using Blender which is always growing and improving), the main ingredients are the rig, mesh deformation, targets and conststraints. So provided that the code does not require anything massive beyond that, a future rig could be feasible.

Software like MakeHuman already apply this feature to auto-generate a rig based on the scale and features of the character. The character can then be added to an animation suite like Blender to actually animate it. Blender used to have a game engine in which these characters could be used however, being solely funded by the community to keep the software free, that part of Blender did not garner enough support to continue.

But, that software and ability has been around for decades. I've used it.