Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I have a similar problem since I play a longer lifespan as well. I don't want teens going to prom every week! Like perhaps during my later visits with the household, to sort of match the junior/senior prom I went to.

Also man, sure do hope we get a bands/music game pack down the line at some point. ...would be interesting to see what sort of world they would think up for that.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Darren everything you've said pretty much sums up how I feel.

There are some good points to the pack but a lot of it is disappointing.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    edited July 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    Thetford wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »
    I am having more negative feelings about this pack than I expected. I like the CAS, the B/B and I like the world. But I am very worried about graduation. It doesn't seem to be working in the version the game changers have. I am afraid it will break my rotation system.

There should have been more options for schools. We should have been able to create schools on our own and assign students to those schools. I would have preferred more options to the current rabbit hole system. If there is going to be one school, let us at least pick who attends. What's it going to be like when I play Copperdale and teens from everywhere show up, but your next door neighbor does not?

Why do the after school clubs not meet in real life? Football, I understand, but all the others should be possible. Can I have clubs meet at the school?

Why can't children pillow fights with teens!

Why is prom every week? I heard it's so everyone gets a chance to go, but couldn't we have just been allowed to schedule it?

Hopefully, it will be better than I expect, or
    modders will fix some of the issues, but I'm on the fence right now.

I'm starting to have more negative feelings about the pack too, it's the limitations of the sims4 that is starting to frustrate me. They said that they wanted to focus on teens forming relationships and hanging out, but after school activities are rabbit holes? The world is so small so Kevin, the main sim in the trailer doesn't even have parents? He is living with another family? The fair looks kinda...dull? We can't build high schools anywhere else or choose who attends them so it's going to be a bunch of random teens?

It really feels like many have mentioned here that they want you to play their story. You should play as a trendy teen who is socially awkward and sells clothes, streams videogames, sneaks out at night and hangs out at the pier and looks forward to prom. Want to play as a teen who likes to to do different activities? Too bad, those are just rabbit holes, not enough budget for that.

I think the main issue is that they decided to make the pack focused on the high school, and as expected, there is very little variable gameplay in it, however, that took the bulk of the dev time. In every thread I've seen over the years asking for a school pack, pretty much everyone in those threads wanted everything school except the actual school itself - what they wanted was prom, and pretty much only prom, and maybe graduation, classrooms and locker lined hallways to take pictures of their Sims in. It's one of the areas I really wished EA continued to ignore the community on.

I really wish instead of wasting all that effort into making the whole interactive school system, they instead focused more on out of school activities. Think the Boba/thrift shop, but in addition, skateparks and skate shops, video arcades and comic book stores, that sort of thing.

I feel like this has become quite a typical problem with Sims 4 packs at this point - they'll add the essential stuff needed for the packs theme, and then rather than going right in and making that essential stuff as in depth as possible, they'll start adding other stuff instead.

With this pack they needed to focus on either one thing, or the other. They should've either made it a pack totally focused on high school gameplay, no world or other stuff, just make the school experience as busy and in depth as possible, or a pack without the school and a focus on activities like the ones you listed. But instead, rather than having either of those things executed in depth, we have both of them executed without depth.

Honestly, I think focussing on school based gameplay would make it even worse, ultimately, the gameplay loop would be similar to what we are getting, and this is exactly the gameplay I thought we would get whenever someone suggested a school pack over the years. Ultimately, for it to have any resemblance of a school, it would have to take away your control of your sim.

All the stuff that people have been wanting in the thread such as directing your sim to take notes, building a school in any world etc, while nice, is just putting lipstick on a pig, and doesn't radically improve the gameplay much, especially given the built in limitations of the game. And the trade off would be little if any, gameplay outside of school, so in essence, it would be an entire pack where you, the player doesn't do anything.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Working on school projects (alone or with other sims), pulling pranks in class, using computers or exercise equipment, causing chaos and taking notes aren't groundbreaking gameplay, but they'd make the class experience much more interactive and fun. Especially if out sim can choose our classes, thus giving us ways to customize what and how our sims experience in school.

I'm sad that we can't have everything, but if I had to choose, I'd choose more interesting school life over yet another take on streaming and fashion trends. It's a high school pack, and the school stuff is more relevant to the average sim than those niche interests. It's bad enough that all the after-school clubs are barebones.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    The classes and after school activities just feel so underwhelming and not developed. I thought i would reserve judgment since i only have reviews of simmers with early access to go by, but even some of them seemed a little underwhelmed with the schooling part. I have played another game which had school classes before so that probably affected my expectations of what classes could be like here, and that gameplay seems more fun in comparison.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'm thinking we could probably build art and music rooms into the schools and have our sims use them before or after classes to pretend we have the classes. For the way I play that will work for me but I know it won't for everyone.

My negative is that I really have no interest in the Trendi stuff and wish they'd spent those resources on giving us marching band as an after school activity with new instruments playable by other age groups instead. And also sim-twitter. As if the real one wasn't annoying enough.

I just want to see my sims do things that aren't "press buttons on phone", you know?
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I am having more negative feelings about this pack than I expected. I like the CAS, the B/B and I like the world. But I am very worried about graduation. It doesn't seem to be working in the version the game changers have. I am afraid it will break my rotation system.

There should have been more options for schools. We should have been able to create schools on our own and assign students to those schools. I would have preferred more options to the current rabbit hole system. If there is going to be one school, let us at least pick who attends. What's it going to be like when I play Copperdale and teens from everywhere show up, but your next door neighbor does not?

Why do the after school clubs not meet in real life? Football, I understand, but all the others should be possible. Can I have clubs meet at the school?

Why is prom every week? I heard it's so everyone gets a chance to go, but couldn't we have just been allowed to schedule it?

I'm starting to have more negative feelings about the pack too, it's the limitations of the sims4 that is starting to frustrate me. They said that they wanted to focus on teens forming relationships and hanging out, but after school activities are rabbit holes? The world is so small so Kevin, the main sim in the trailer doesn't even have parents? He is living with another family? The fair looks kinda...dull? We can't build high schools anywhere else or choose who attends them so it's going to be a bunch of random teens?

It really feels like many have mentioned here that they want you to play their story. You should play as a trendy teen who is socially awkward and sells clothes, streams videogames, sneaks out at night and hangs out at the pier and looks forward to prom. Want to play as a teen who likes to to do different activities? Too bad, those are just rabbit holes, not enough budget for that.

I think the main issue is that they decided to make the pack focused on the high school, and as expected, there is very little variable gameplay in it, however, that took the bulk of the dev time. In every thread I've seen over the years asking for a school pack, pretty much everyone in those threads wanted everything school except the actual school itself - what they wanted was prom, and pretty much only prom, and maybe graduation, classrooms and locker lined hallways to take pictures of their Sims in. It's one of the areas I really wished EA continued to ignore the community on.

I really wish instead of wasting all that effort into making the whole interactive school system, they instead focused more on out of school activities. Think the Boba/thrift shop, but in addition, skateparks and skate shops, video arcades and comic book stores, that sort of thing.

I feel like this has become quite a typical problem with Sims 4 packs at this point - they'll add the essential stuff needed for the packs theme, and then rather than going right in and making that essential stuff as in depth as possible, they'll start adding other stuff instead.

With this pack they needed to focus on either one thing, or the other. They should've either made it a pack totally focused on high school gameplay, no world or other stuff, just make the school experience as busy and in depth as possible, or a pack without the school and a focus on activities like the ones you listed. But instead, rather than having either of those things executed in depth, we have both of them executed without depth.

Honestly, I think focussing on school based gameplay would make it even worse, ultimately, the gameplay loop would be similar to what we are getting, and this is exactly the gameplay I thought we would get whenever someone suggested a school pack over the years. Ultimately, for it to have any resemblance of a school, it would have to take away your control of your sim.

All the stuff that people have been wanting in the thread such as directing your sim to take notes, building a school in any world etc, while nice, is just putting lipstick on a pig, and doesn't radically improve the gameplay much, especially given the built in limitations of the game. And the trade off would be little if any, gameplay outside of school, so in essence, it would be an entire pack where you, the player doesn't do anything.

My thing is class interactions is not ground breaking gameplay the Sims are at a desk doing those interactions that I requested it would be so much better then just sitting there for an entire hour doing nothing. Same thing with my sim in detention but it's fir two sim hours (supposedly.) I would much rather them do something at the desk then just sitting there. That's what I would consider a waste.
    Also having a football game to be a rabbit hole I mean the only game play to that is watching them walk over to the rabbit hole to play in or watch the game like in DU. Throwing a Football back and forth for a competition great but it's a big let down.
    Same thing with chess and computer programming like it should've been more.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »

My thing is class interactions is not ground breaking gameplay the Sims are at a desk doing those interactions that I requested it would be so much better then just sitting there for an entire hour doing nothing. Same thing with my sim in detention but it's fir two sim hours (supposedly.) I would much rather them do something at the desk then just sitting there. That's what I would consider a waste.
    Also having a football game to be a rabbit hole I mean the only game play to that is watching them walk over to the rabbit hole to play in or watch the game like in DU. Throwing a Football back and forth for a competition great but it's a big let down.

I get it about the After School stuff being a disappointment, but there's no way we're watching a football game in the Sims. There's only 20 sims allowed to be active on any given lot. Now, I'm not huge on football, but I think that the teams are usually bigger than that. (not players on the field, the whole team)
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I'm several pages behind so I guess this topic of discussion came and went, but I really dislike the high school itself.

I understand limitations to make sure it runs on all computers, but after watching the care and thought James Turner put into every lot for the werewolf pack, making sure it looks visually interesting, it's really disappointing to go back to ... that.

Maybe EAxis builders should go through the same revisions they make the game changers go through. More often than not, it feels like they put their first draft in the game and call it a day.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »

I get it about the After School stuff being a disappointment, but there's no way we're watching a football game in the Sims. There's only 20 sims allowed to be active on any given lot. Now, I'm not huge on football, but I think that the teams are usually bigger than that. (not players on the field, the whole team)

What? Who said anything about watching a football game? I said the only game play we will see is Sims walking into a rabbit hole like in DU for the game, they either play or watch the game inside the rabbit hole for some sim hours then it's over and they come out of a rabbit hole from either playing or watching the game the entire event is a rabbit hole that's what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2022
    I’ve managed to build a school type building 🏫🚌 with the packs I have. It has to function as a library but that’s okay with me.

There’s stuff for teens and kids to do (albeit more fun activities) but I can pretend. The Little Campers Kit does come in handy for an outside TV. As I don’t have Seasons it never rains!

It’s a pity you can’t post pictures directly here. I still have to find a photo share thing. 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Prom every week is so....too often.
    They shouldve tied it to life span settings, for short its every week, normal every 2nd, long every third and off every 4th week, or something like that or have us be able to set the frequenzy in pack settings or the calender.

Anyway Im still upset about the lack of arts, think I'll build an art room and have my sims skip class to hang out there instead...I play with ageing off, so dont care for grades anyways, my teens will never graduate....maybe some of em will drop out even.
    Schools boring so I guess they got the realism there :D

While I do like the trendi thing and the new streaming career, they both feel like they shouldve been in previous packs, streaming in GF and trendi in CL.
    My fashion designer mermaid will love trendi and the thrift store and my streamers will love to finally have a real streaming pc and career, but yeah...those things shouldve been in other packs.
    Couldve added them with pack refresh which I guess they dont do anymore?
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    After watching the livestream and a few videos I'm sure it was their intention to create a highschool as boring as it could be. Did anyone enjoy highschool? I didn't. It was just a boring place where I had to go to every day. The best time was always after school and at the weekends and vacations.

To be honest after the trailer my expectations were not very high. But after the livestream they are even more lower. They should have focussed either on Highschool or on after school activities to make the pack really good. I would have prefered new interesting after school activities and not boring school activities and after school rabbit holes. And I miss all the activities I did in my highschool years.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,924 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    I'm several pages behind so I guess this topic of discussion came and went, but I really dislike the high school itself.
    This to me. I may play it once, I will. But other than that I use the features of the pack in elsewhere.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    They could literally have left the entire active school out and only kept the special occasions like career day and prom and nothing would change.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2022

Yeah, maybe, I'm not sure. The thing is that many other games focus on the fun parts and create variety. Racing games for example is just about driving around in a circle or a set path over and over again and in real life it comes with a lot of boring things, so they make it fun by focusing on the fun parts and also adding tons of variety by letting you drive so many different cars and also offer challenges.

It feels like we have...given up with that in the sims4? The game doesn't get much development, only focuses on a few fun parts, doesn't create much variety with our sims except visually and doesn't offer much in terms of challenge either.

So whenever I hear "well, what did you expect them to do? real life class is boring" I just go "Well, then they should make it fun? They are game developers, that's what game developers do?"
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    The gameplay in the school looks almost non existent, for a pack literally with High School in the title that's just terrible.
    I expected a science lab with test tubes and experiments, explosions if it goes wrong.
    Perhaps a music dept with various instruments, the ability to have a band or singing in a choir.
    Where is the art dept where along with painting there could have been a pottery wheel, a kiln, still life sitting.
    Gym class with students using that huge running track.
    Students actually working in a classroom, taking notes, talking, interacting with the teacher.
    Those 2 hours of just sitting there are like watching paint dry.

I couldn't care less about the whole "social bunny" thing, it will probably get very annoying within a day.

Also it's not a selling point of the pack, but really dislike how the pier with the amusements is practically just all rabbithole. We had a working rollercoaster in Sims 1, but now it's just something to disappear into.

This is what I would have expected from a highschool pack.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I wish we could write up our own Social Bunny posts, instead of just letting the game generate some for us. It'd be a great way to keep track of our sims' stories and personalize how they speak and act.

I agree with this! I was disappointed we couldn't write our own posts! I hope a modder takes care of this.
  • Options
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    The gameplay in the school looks almost non existent, for a pack literally with High School in the title that's just terrible.
    I expected a science lab with test tubes and experiments, explosions if it goes wrong.
    Perhaps a music dept with various instruments, the ability to have a band or singing in a choir.
    Where is the art dept where along with painting there could have been a pottery wheel, a kiln, still life sitting.
    Gym class with students using that huge running track.
    Students actually working in a classroom, taking notes, talking, interacting with the teacher.
    Those 2 hours of just sitting there are like watching paint dry.

I couldn't care less about the whole "social bunny" thing, it will probably get very annoying within a day.

Also it's not a selling point of the pack, but really dislike how the pier with the amusements is practically just all rabbithole. We had a working rollercoaster in Sims 1, but now it's just something to disappear into.

That's is what I'm talking about it's a high school but where's the SCHOOL gameplay?

Also to the Summer who said real life class was boring that is your opinion. My opinion is different you'd participate with the gameplay other simmers and myself have listed. Also I remember doing most of that in class.
  • Options
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    I wish we could write up our own Social Bunny posts, instead of just letting the game generate some for us. It'd be a great way to keep track of our sims' stories and personalize how they speak and act.

I agree with this! I was disappointed we couldn't write our own posts! I hope a modder takes care of this.

I mean I would like both because Im going to be honest sometimes I'm just to lazy to write posts and wish there's a default post lol. So I'd say both make your own and default.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    The more I watch early access footage of simmers playing through the school routine, the more it makes me think it's all exactly the same and I've already seen everything so why would I even want to play it myself? The game barely lets you do something different or interesting.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2022
    From watching some of the EA Creator Network simmers, this pack is going to be extremely shallow and disappointing when it comes to high school play. Modders will have to intervene to save this.

All the other stuff like base game updates, socials, connectivity, CAS, buy mode, the community lot, traits, aspirations, are cool.
    But the actual school game play seems so lame and a lackluster repackaging of Get To Work and Discover University.
    Quite a few features will be useless to me personally.

I don't give teens careers because it takes up too much of the time they have to be teens. If the game gave them a personal bank account that added to what they would normally get when moving out, as well as personal object storage for things that don't fit in inventories, then yeah, I would have them work to boost what they will have to start their new life of independence. Also, some of these game play features are locked behind being in a career, so my sims will never see them.

Classes are extremely lack luster. Sims that you meet in school initially will probably disappear later, never to be seen again, so how can you play out any teen stories? You are going to get some random townies to replace the ones you are interested in seeing in school. Groups seems very limited while you are in school. The YouTubers are playing without Get Together, so who knows what we will be able do when Get Together is added. Hopefully it will add more flexibility to school play.

Career Day sounds like a feature that they just don't have the time flesh out.
    It would be a perfect opportunity to familiarize yourself with all the careers, what skills are needed, what the pay is, so you can start thinking about what your sim will be doing after they graduate.

I myself, will be making over the career day function.
    I am going to plaster the room with Britechester and Foxbury content just for laughs.
    "This career day event is sponsored by Britechester and Foxbury Universities."

I believe the most enjoyment I will get out of the school setting will be replacing the high school with my own school and using Get Together club features to enjoy hanging out a few hours after school, with the sims I actually want to see in Copperdale High, for group activities, and then moving on to a community lot of choice for a few more hours before going home.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    Finally came around to see the previews of the pack. Already knew I wasn't going to be the target group for this one - but, honestly, I don't know what to say. In comparison to the trailer that was shown to us, and the current state of the expansion pack. I thought it so odd that we hardly had time to enjoy the hype of the werewolf pack - this new expansion dropped so quickly.

My heart kinda breaks for the people who wanted more indepth teen things to do. Parenthood and Get Together make for great companion packs to facilitate it, I suppose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top