Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »
    @Calico45 right now you can't romance or woohoo every premade. Adults can't woohoo with teens and nosim can romance children or toddlers. Do you think that's also limiting?

I haven't seen anything about whether or not it will affect randomized townies but, judging by the options on sex (can get pregnant/make others pregnant, pee while standing) and pronouns, I'm guessing that the update won't affect townies.

In technicality it is a limit, if that is what you are getting at, however my point still stands. Prior we had two romantic limiters: blood and age (and age was a limited time because they would just grow up, and teens don't even have woohoo they have mess around).

After this update, there will be more limits placed on us. For the people that wanted them, I am happy for you. However, for those of us that did not, it is a new burden we were not given an option to avoid.

You can't mess up adult sim and teenage sim (two teen sims in a romantic relationship I played had their birthdays on different days).

You're stating that, because SOME premade sims will have this settings differently from the default it's limiting to have the option to toggle off attraction to fit our playstyle.

The same way you can age up sims, you can change their preferences. I doubt the Sims team will change from the default unless there's a storytelling reason that makes sense for some certain sims.

Yep. It is a burden, and objectively brand new coded romantic limiters. Because now I have to check every new premade and change/delete them each new save thereafter to fix it.

(Also, for the record, I don't go out of my way to age up teens for romance. I keep aging off and just do it whenever it fits, but this is well beside the point here.)

And again, they said in the livestream that they will make use of it in the future. Sure, we don't know how much because it hasn't happened yet, but I have to check them all now pre or post romantic rebuff.

I'm not even sure why this keeps going on since I was just explaining my issue as a response to your earlier post with Jade. I never once said that sexuality shouldn't be in the game for those who want it, but I do want a toggle to not have to deal with the new default and I do not think that is unreasonable to ask for considering they are changing an eight year standard.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    @Calico45 right now you can't romance or woohoo every premade. Adults can't woohoo with teens and nosim can romance children or toddlers. Do you think that's also limiting?

Do you really think people here want to romance children? What kind of sick comparison is that? Or am i misunderstanding your comment?

No, I don't think there's people here who want to romance children. I think paedophilia is sick, I also think that forcing someone who's not into you (because of whatever reason) is terrible.

Ok, I think I see what you mean. Like if all townies did have their own preference youd like the simmer to respect the individuals preference, so they shouldnt be able to romance them if its not their orientation. So i can understand liking a game that allows the townies to be preferences randomized because it would add realism to your game? But the thing is there is no "forcing" an orientation on a sim in the game because sims are attracted to everyone equally so far. But this system would introduce the idea you are forcing someone, but this does not exist in the sims.

But the thing is too I also think its fine to want things the way they originally were too if you wanted, some people like all sims being the way they were by default. But this is only speculation until its clear this system will or wont affect all townies + future townies. If it does affect everyone, it should be toggable because some people will want it as it were originally.

I just feel this is the same "but I don't want this on my game" type of conversation that was in the forums when we got the sex&gender update and again when we got the pronouns update.

The Sims team have always used this settings only on premades and only when it made sense based on the plot. There are only 4 premades that have sex/gender settings different than the default and only one with pronouns different than the default (including HSY).
    Happy simming!
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am happy with the changes, but I can understand why some (like fans of the 100 baby challenge) dislike them. It does make romance more difficult going forward. However, as long as simmers can make desired changes in CAS, it is only an added bother, not something that breaks the game.

Those who want the changes for premade Sims already in game will have the bother of going into CAS and changing that for every save. So both groups will have to take the time to set things up as they want. In the end though, both can have the Sims they want to see in their game.

I am personally happy because I want the premade Sims to have more distinct personalities and not always be attracted to every Sim. I wish it was set up more like Wonderful Whims where we don't have to go into CAS to make changes. But, otoh, I feel like this system is more hardwired into the Sim whereas Wonderful Whims is more of an initial attraction that can be pretty easily overcome. I like that change for sexual preferences, but can see why EA didn't want to make a preference for red heads so hard wired.

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I’m not sure if random townies will generate with this preset or not. But if they do, isn’t that kind of realistic too? I mean has nobody ever flirted with or been attracted to someone only to find out their orientation means they don’t reciprocate your romantic feelings? This is the kind of game generated storytelling I personally have been craving. I don’t want to have to force my story all the time sometimes I do want to react to what the game gives at times, just like real life. Control is nice, I agree, but so is spontaneity and being surprised.

I also like the fact that I can now set characters like the Heckings and The Greenburgs to be unquestioning homosexuals that won’t end up marrying the opposite sex as a result of story progression, but I can also leave sims like Darling Walsh to explore their feelings too. I see this update as giving us the ability to tell more stories not fewer and to have those stories stay true to our vision. Nothing in this game is permanent and none of the choices you make in it are set in stone, I mean heck…you can even come back from the dead.

I also love that woo hoo is no longer locked behind romance because let’s be honest temporary hookups happen, and you know who’s really excited about that part of the update? Mr. Don (how you doin?) Lothario. He’s very, very excited about it indeed.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    This is probably my last post in this thread. Gender topics tend to go off road every single time 😅 but I just want to say this could be the start of a deeper attraction system. I do however, think the team needs to take care when doing attraction because it can get messy.
    I tried out a popular mod for attraction because everyone was raving about how great attraction is and this is just my opinion but I thought it was a complete MESS. First it took forever to set all these individual little attractions for my sims and when I finally did it was just constant pop-ups of sims being attracted to every sim with "blue eyes" or "green pants" it's hard to describe but it really didn't play out well at all, and the constant attraction was annoying. All 8 sims in my household was constantly getting attracted to somebody. I ended up deleting it.

I'm not sure if the team is planning on bringing more attraction to this new orientation system but if it's not done well then yikes 😬
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

The Sims team have always used this settings only on premades and only when it made sense based on the plot. There are only 4 premades that have sex/gender settings different than the default and only one with pronouns different than the default (including HSY).

They just said npcs going forward so it could mean a select few or all the townies.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    This is probably my last post in this thread. Gender topics tend to go off road every single time 😅 but I just want to say this could be the start of a deeper attraction system. I do however, think the team needs to take care when doing attraction because it can get messy.
    I tried out a popular mod for attraction because everyone was raving about how great attraction is and this is just my opinion but I thought it was a complete MESS. First it took forever to set all these individual little attractions for my sims and when I finally did it was just constant pop-ups of sims being attracted to every sim with "blue eyes" or "green pants" it's hard to describe but it really didn't play out well at all, and the constant attraction was annoying. All 8 sims in my household was constantly getting attracted to somebody. I ended up deleting it.

I'm not sure if the team is planning on bringing more attraction to this new orientation system but if it's not done well then yikes 😬

I know exactly what you mean and yes the settings are tedious and annoying.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I just thought about something. This has been mentioned many times in other threads but with this new update, I wonder if the attraction system will finally introduce a height differential since height is an attraction to some.

For some reason, my alien teen son seems taller than his father which is awesome! I don't think he actually is taller but some how, he feels like he is.

They just said npcs going forward so it could mean a select few or all the townies.

Is one of them Lucas Munch? He is a friend of my kids and was over at the house the other day when my youngest decided Lucas needed a makeover. So Lucas was in the closet changing and took off his clothes. I noticed that though he was wearing masculine clothes on the outside, when his clothes are removed he's wearing girls' panties.

This was intriguing to me so I found the most masculine skirt for him in the feminine category. It was a hot red skirt, I also found a t-shirt for him in the masculine category of the same color so it looked like a man-dress. I gave some cool masculine shoes and socks and shades.

He came out very masculine overall and looked awesome! My fear was that it would look forced and awkward but in the end, he looked great. My only regret was that I didn't take a pic of him to share.

He's a teen now and my oldest son's best friend. They show no romantic interest in each other but who knows what will happen in the future? I'm hoping they just remain friends though because I love the dynamic they have. Lucas has become like another son to me.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member

I do appreciate that it’s finally possible to lock down ace/aromantic sims, and I’m not expecting any update to affect any of the past premades. They will probably stay default. Premades, going forward, will probably use the system. That’s evident in the new HS pack. But, just as we all have in the past, if you want that sim to be something different, if you want them to hook up with your sim and their preferences don’t allow it, all you have to do is flip a switch in CAS. People have been complaining about a lack of meaningful relationships for ages. This is a start toward that. If random sims generate with preferences, then so be it. I would be surprised, though, if they initially aren’t just default.

As for a potential attraction system, I’m in agreement with this. I never liked the attraction systems that are based solely on superficials like hair color, body type, or good lord, zodiac sign (that was a cheesy pick up line even in the 60’s/70’s). I’ve tried the mods, and I really don’t like them. I would love to see attraction to personality, common interests, sense of humor, common goals, etc. And I’d like that attraction to be on a spectrum that not only includes romance, but includes friendships, best friends, soul friends, bromances, sisterhoods, family love, etc. Relationships should be so much more rich than just “I get hot for guys with muscles, woohoo me baby!”

• cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2022

As for a potential attraction system, I’m in agreement with this. I never liked the attraction systems that are based solely on superficials like hair color, body type, or good lord, zodiac sign (that was a cheesy pick up line even in the 60’s/70’s). I’ve tried the mods, and I really don’t like them. I would love to see attraction to personality, common interests, sense of humor, common goals, etc. And I’d like that attraction to be on a spectrum that not only includes romance, but includes friendships, best friends, soul friends, bromances, sisterhoods, family love, etc. Relationships should be so much more rich than just “I get hot for guys with muscles, woohoo me baby!”

Soooo, what's your sign? I like your hair! Oh my, do you work out??? Wanna woohoo?

LOL! I’ll take bar pick up lines for 500, Alex.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Sexual and romantic orientation is definitely a needed addition, so I'm happy to have this. But, I hope we see it expanded to nonbinary genders soon (they said they plan to do this though so that's good that they acknowledged it).

One other gripe: while adding gender preferences, could they not also have added a full attraction system with preferences for what physical attributes and traits our sims are attracted to? Was so hoping that this is what we would be getting when I saw an attraction system mentioned.
    Sexual and romantic orientation is definitely a needed addition, so I'm happy to have this. But, I hope we see it expanded to nonbinary genders soon (they said they plan to do this though so that's good that they acknowledged it).

One other gripe: while adding gender preferences, could they not also have added a full attraction system with preferences for what physical attributes and traits our sims are attracted to? Was so hoping that this is what we would be getting when I saw an attraction system mentioned.

I'll admit my ignorance here. Can you tell me what non-binary is? I've heard the term several times but am not sure what it means exactly.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

I'll admit my ignorance here. Can you tell me what non-binary is? I've heard the term several times but am not sure what it means exactly.

Nonbinary people don't fit into the binary man/woman gender opposition. They may feel like neither or a mixture of both etc. Different people have different nuanced experiences. Not being nonbinary myself, I don't feel qualified to claim to be able to give a full authoritative definition or anything. Google is your friend! Many nonbinary people out there will have already put labour into explaining their experience of gender identity.
    I guess on the surface, that makes sense. I think to some degree we all feel a little bit of both genders. I always thought that was natural since both genders were used to create us. Sometimes, I hate being a man but most times, I'm happy with who I am. So it seems, just on your explanation which again you concede is not authoritative, we all have some level of non-binariism, if we're honest.

And this is not meant to in any way diminish anyone's identity. I'm just trying to empathize with this ideology.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I have to say I like this feature. It gives us a little more control.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    cyncie wrote: »

Oh yay you said it well! I guess for it to work in game it would have a lot to do with traits, aspirations, skills and likes/dislikes. Maybe lifestyles too though they should be tuned first, so many people persons...

It would be nice to have many superficial options, such as specific hair/eye/skin colour, body shape, occult status, tattoos, piercings, fashion style (though I guess this could be problematic, I really wonder how these will work in HSY), to pick (or left unpicked) too. I often struggled with TS2 attraction system and picking the options that would fit my sim, because there weren't enough options and you could only pick three likes and one dislike so they had quite a strong impact. It often felt that none of them were really good or they were too simple.

Although I can see how having too many options is exhausting too. I wonder how it should be balanced like maybe there could be different levels of attraction and there would only be a notification if someone meets many of them. The lower attractions wouldn't be mentioned though they could still be visible somewhere. I think the TS2 attraction system worked a bit like this with the bolts. But I guess we would have to pick different attractions for each relationship category. That would be a lot of picking. But it would offer so much gameplay value too.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    I must say I really like how they considered aromantic and asexual sims.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Can this update be randomized? Cause I'm probably not going to bother dragging sims into CAS to set preferences. My sims are straight for procreation, mainly because anything else feels like work. Be awesome if I could randomize sims with no preference to have one, like newborns et al.

Eh, maybe MCCC will come through for me.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I do appreciate that it’s finally possible to lock down ace/aromantic sims, and I’m not expecting any update to affect any of the past premades. They will probably stay default. Premades, going forward, will probably use the system. That’s evident in the new HS pack. But, just as we all have in the past, if you want that sim to be something different, if you want them to hook up with your sim and their preferences don’t allow it, all you have to do is flip a switch in CAS. People have been complaining about a lack of meaningful relationships for ages. This is a start toward that. If random sims generate with preferences, then so be it. I would be surprised, though, if they initially aren’t just default.

I really really really love these suggestions. That sounds like a much better attraction system. And the bromances/friendships/soulmates etc. Idea sounds very appealing and much more meaningful!

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2022
    I mean... To do that, you will have to dedicate hours and hours of your free time to edit every single sim, and the game constantly generates new ones... good luck I guess. Feel free to torture yourself.
    It's like saying we shouldn't have sims of different skin colors, because it will allow players to whitewash all non-white sims — so better have one middle skin color, it kinda includes everybody.

There will certainly be soon mods, either in MC or standalone which lets you automatically set all sims to default like we are now or choose which combinations are allowed in game and in which distribution.

And I agree with Penguin, it is strange that somehow being more restricted is marketed as being more inclusive.
    What is even stranger though is the reaction of some posters who call out people who do not like it a LGT-phobe (because everyone being B is what they want to optionally keep) which makes no sense at all. Because technically those people would also be straigh-phobes as fully straight people are also just possible with the new update.

So no, this is not a LGBT issue at all, this is a "I do not want to spend my limited play and sims life time sorting though all the townies until I find one I like which also has the correct orientation, both for romance and wohoo, so that I can play my story." issue.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    rubygloomz wrote: »
    i love how this new update is revealing the homophobic simmers in the community. how exactly does it ruin your fantasy world if gay people exist :# ???

Yeah, that's what I said. I tried to express my frustrations with this but of course, it either falls on deaf ears of this "community" or we're laughed at and told it's not that big of a deal. And people wonder why I don't associate with the "community" on here or Reddit much...

I don't think anyone here is wondering why you don't hang around you see its because you don't hang around
    I have know idea who you are welcome though. @Kurotard
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Darren wrote: »
    I mean... To do that, you will have to dedicate hours and hours of your free time to edit every single sim, and the game constantly generates new ones... good luck I guess. Feel free to torture yourself.
    It's like saying we shouldn't have sims of different skin colors, because it will allow players to whitewash all non-white sims — so better have one middle skin color, it kinda includes everybody.

And I agree with Penguin, it is strange that somehow being more restricted is marketed as being more inclusive.
    It is more inclusive. It includes preferences that wasn't even possible before, like not being interested in romance at all.
    Yes, it can be somewhat restrictive for players who need to be in total control, but it doesn't mean it's just “being marketed as inclusive”. There's a constant battle between simmers who want to micromanage everything and simmers who like spontaneity, I guess. But this was a highly requested feature, and having to change some townies' sexual preferences (I'm sure most randomly generated sims will have the default settings anyway) seems like a minor inconvenience, considering this update gives people an ability to represent themselves more accurately and to tell a broad variety of stories.

• DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2022
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I'm sure most randomly generated sims will have the default settings anyway

That is the big question. Sure, in the past randoms are mostly excluded for similar mechanics, but usually mechanics are also optional and EA has specifically said that they do not want this feature to be turned off.

So we do not know if it will affect randoms and that is what has people concerned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top