Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2022
    LSM36 wrote: »
    This is great. My Non-binary self is gonna have a field day when my enby sims can actually be Non-binary in truth. Maybe then the game will catch up and stop saying "they likes" all the time lol. But I love this inclusion. Maybe it would work if the game recognized Male and Female as sex, and the other settings as separate Genders. So like the ♀️♂️ Could just be AFAB AMAB in game. And there could be another setting added on. Like we have the frame thing, and pregnancy options, and stuff. So maybe in that area we could add gender options. Sidestep the binary without breaking the game.

Oh I forgot, I wonder if you are going to do like more romantic attraction/romance style stuff. You mentioned aromatic. But like what about demiromantic? It could be added as a trait or something. Maybe in those likes and dislike boxes thing we could add more sexuality/romance options. Because people aren't always just like one thing. You can be on the ace spectrum, but also on the aromatic spectrum. All while being multisexual. Like in theory you could like everyone, in practice you like no one. Unless something amazing happened/high friendship. Trust me. All the while you're a Non-binary bean. But you're AFAB or AMAB and then you've got to do all the body stuff with what we have. So I think adding all that maybe in a separate likes and dislike category or traits (if we had more slots) would work. That way you could even get clearer about the type of Non-binary you are.

And romance style would be like monogamy v poly but idk if you would actually add that bit. Though we have the option to date whoever we want anyway, and even stop people from getting jealous. So adding it would be great.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    if you play a male sim and just flirt with male sims, his preference will switch from no preference to preferring men. However, unless you go in and switch the "Explore options" to "No", he will still be open to flirting with/woohooing women if you direct him to (and possibly responding autonomously if autonomously flirted with by an NPC) If you switch explore options to "No" they will reject flirting outside of their preferences.

As I understand it, sexual preference actually is in the game, but until now it has been a hidden value.

I do wonder what would happen if you had a straight sim who was "open to exploring", and then proceeded to only romance/woohoo the same sex. How would the game square the difference between behavior and the checkbox? This would be simple and integrated if gender preference were a slider that adjusted itself based on actions, but I have a feeling it's just a new system overlaid on top of the old.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I'm happy about this new feature, although like many others, I would have liked an actual attraction system that goes beyond just "Does this person have my preferred gender settings or not?" But hey, it's a start.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about future premades potentially coming with preset sexual orientations. Premades also come with their own names, traits, aspirations, gender settings, and (rarely) careers. If that's not a problem, then their sexual orientation shouldn't be one either, especially since we can easily change everything we don't like.
  • mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    Please add drama and give one sim the chance to fall in love with their "sim with benefits"/WooHoo as friends.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited July 2022
    I still believe the game also need Romance Options to define what kind of relationship that the sims want.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Shame there is no opt out. Just like I was afraid of, labels are now officially required even in my fantasy world.

All new premades now and going forward will have this configured, so you have to go in and change or delete everyone to keep romance open like it was before.

It definitely could be worse, but I cannot help but be disappointed.

I won't worry about it because my sims never meet the new premade sims.
    There are already so many people in the game and I don't count the sims from Maxis' gallery.

As long as there is no quota like the game does with the gender of the babies, everything should be fine for you.
    (For example the baby will be a boy if too many girls are in the world)

Unfortunately, no. What I don't like is that where previously my own Sims could be plopped into a world and could romance anyone without hesitation, now they can and will be rebuffed based on gender and sexual orientation. (It was too much effort to mass delete/mass makeover the premades I weren't using prior.) They stated right in the live stream that premade Sims going forward will have this configured.

So now, when my sim makes an advance on another I did not design by hand I can get the I-don't-like-your-equipment card. This is brand new, and no statement has been made (that I have seen) on if townies will have random configurations. I can change it, thank goodness, and I'll have to or get rid of them, but it places restrictions on my game that I will have to fix every time I start over.

I know this was a popular request, and am happy for the ones that wanted this, but I am not going to pretend I am not disappointed that we were all limited when forced barriers and labels fly right in the face of the spirit of pride and love just being love. Especially when they openly admit this first iteration leaves much to be desired and will be improved later.
    edited July 2022
    I'm very enthusiast by this work and I'm curious to see what else they planned to add to the game.

Just I regret that LGBTQIA+ commitment is minus G because male/masculinity is neglected and minus T because transgender CAS is broken.
    And again pronouns are still missing for the non-English languages.
  • Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    I can finally make an asexual heteromantic sim!

...that's pretty much the next best thing since demisexual and demiromantic aren't options. But I tend to only romance sims I like the aesthetics and traits of and max out their friendship first anyway. It's just nice seeing asexual and aromantic options.

edited July 2022
    @StrawberryYogurt

I agree that is a very awkward answer to this question.
    No matter the topic the players always want the option to disable new features. #YouRule
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited July 2022
    First, it is so annoying every time some one does not agree with a LGBT feature being added for reason that has NOTHING to do with LGBT but everything to do how a simmer might want to play their game with the original pansexual sims that has been the way since it started, people start yelling homophobe. Good grief! People play the game to escape real life and some may not even play regular sims. Maybe some are playing occult sims and would like to keep them pansexual. Instead of lashing out with the homophobe comments, help them understand why it is important to you. Such as, it being tiresome having a sim in your mind be gay flirting with the opposite sex.

Second, I like the new sexual orientation features. It seems like they put a lot of work into it and I thought I would never see the day when they add in "Friends with Benefits" As @LeGardePourpre said, you still have total control and that is all I want. I want to stay in control. I am however, upset because they chose to only address sexual preference in what appears to be the beginnings of an attractive system. Someone mentioned about what if my Sim has a thing for red heads or body types? I actually would like to see those things added in as well. Compatibility goes further than just sexual orientation.

Lastly, you go EA. I think you are finally starting to understand a bit of what we are looking for. I have to say I am quite impressed with what I have seen so far with the pack and the update coming. SHEESH though all my mods will probably be broken for days LOL Oh and I really hope your game works LOL
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm very enthusiast by this work and I'm curious to see what else they planned to add to the game.

Just I regret that LGBTQIA+ commitment is minus G because male/masculinity is neglected and minus T because transgender CAS is broken.
    And again pronouns are still missing for the non-English languages.

The single thing in the live stream that really and truly disappointed me was not addressing the issue of creating trans or intersex sims properly. That trans pride flag in the roadmap promo graphic had my hopes sky high that this was finally going to be addressed. The fact that we still can't create a male assigned sim, who presents and lives as a female and has breasts and a softer feminine body without the male muscle definition, makes that trans pride flag feel misleading. It was an acknowledgement apparently of Ash's non-binary backstory. I need to go back and find that spot in the stream and hear how they describe Ash again to be sure that was how Ash was referenced. As I recall it she was referred to as trans or non-binary.

ETA: SimGuruJessica did address this concern, saying that they do hear our concerns about the physical depictions of gender expression and identity. She did say this isn't the finish line and that our concerns will eventually be addressed. My comment is only that I really hoped that flag meant it was going to be addressed now. I'm over the moon happy that now I don't really need a mod to insure that my gay and lesbian sims only flirt or get romantic with who I want them too when I'm off with another household and not watching over them.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I just cant get over the fact that this means that for all my sims that have numerous friends with benefits, I no longer have to cheat away their romance bar! It was so annoying for me to have to see sims with multiple romantic partners when in all actuality they were just first and foremost woohoo partners. This is going to fit in nicely in my game.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    Could these options just be rolled up into the "preferences" dialogue where you choose other preferences like favourite colour, music etc?
    Can you opt out of choosing a preference and just go for anyone with a pulse ?

Full disclosure - the adult-related mod has sexual preferences (in quite extensive detail). I believe we are not to mention the name on this forum. It uses body shapes, gender, hair length, hair colour, age, accessories (tattoos, glasses, etc) to build a more nuanced model of the sexual preferences of any individual sim.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    It also makes no sense to say those who arent interested in this update and may want it how it originally is hates lgbtq+ because all sims are bisexual by default anyway. Also trying to assume someone sexuality behind a computer screen is absolutely unnecessary, what people decide to use or not use in a game is their prerogative, its a single player game.

If someone isn't interested in this update it's perfectly ok but why are people saying they want to toggle it off?

It is this update exactly what will allow us to toggle attraction off! If you don't want to use it just leave it at its default settings.

Happy simming!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    It also makes no sense to say those who arent interested in this update and may want it how it originally is hates lgbtq+ because all sims are bisexual by default anyway. Also trying to assume someone sexuality behind a computer screen is absolutely unnecessary, what people decide to use or not use in a game is their prerogative, its a single player game.

If someone isn't interested in this update it's perfectly ok but why are people saying they want to toggle it off?

It is this update exactly what will allow us to toggle attraction off! If you don't want to use it just leave it at its default settings.

Yea it's kinda strange I see a lot of people begging for toggles and ways to mod it out or turn it off. But literally there is nothing to turn off or mod out. Just like pronouns you can plsy as if nothing has changed?
    Maybe people are misunderstanding exactly how it works. This takes away no options or forces nothing, it actually provides us with more control!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    This is pretty cool! I'll probably use it a few times for some save files. I'm hoping there will be some new romantic interactions too.

Can there be a way to turn this feature off for random Sims that are generated and NPC Sims? I can't tell if this post mentions anything about that (I could have missed it), but it would be nice to be able to not have random Sims have set sexual orientations in some save files. For example, I wouldn't want to have to change a bunch of Sims in my 100 Baby Challenge because they have different orientations. I'm glad that this update exists, especially for the people who really wanted it, but I feel like not being able to turn it off for random Sims could affect the play style some people have for the game since some of us do challenges. I just get nervous when things might affect the way I play in certain save files...
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    @Nushka and @Babykittyjade, if I may volunteer why I want a toggle, it is because I don't want any romantic rebuffs. Sims we make by will stay the same if we do not configure the options. However, premades going forward will have them configured, according to the livestream.

You can still change them, which is good, but now I have to change or delete the new premades each time I start a new game to play the way that used to be default-- No barriers. That is why I wish there was a toggle, because I have to deal with the labels I did not and do not want to set.

We also don't know (or have I have not seen) any mention on townies and if they will have randomized or blank configurations.
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    I don't understand why they didn't just make this the same way wonderful whims made it. All sims are open to whatever and if you choose to you can pick things they are attracted to like freckles, red hair, etc. You don't have to set anything to dislike, but setting certain things to likes helps give the player a hint of sims to pursue.

Besides that complaint, the live stream said that they left the standard before patch sims relationships so I like that I can maintain the neutral preference. I would say it sucks to have to change every sim going forward with new packs but for me I literally redo all EA sims anyway so it won't effect me, but I can see this being annoying for others.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

This depending on whether it will affect current townies/premades, future townies/premades etc. If it doesnt affect them, then it doesnt really matter. You can just choose to not use it. Its not clear whether its opt in for that or not, ive seen conflicting posts. But if it doesnt affect townies / its opt-in than there is no reason to toggle it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I still want an attraction system where your sims like personalty and hair color
    I'm not sure if I will use this update
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I think that what they should do is let the sim's experience play out and add to their personal preference. For instance, if a dude were to mainly interact romantically with women, then let that influence their future interactions. That way, there would be no actual labels, instead more of an attraction scale.

I think that could solve all of this. Of course I don't know the logistics of implementing it but I think it could work.

That would also mean that there would be no hard "no." It would mean that it would simply be less likely for it to autonomous in some cases.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I truly hope that this game doesn't force labels on us. Again though, I do like the idea of having to work harder for romance. It's just too easy in the game as is. Also, I know that not every person (or sim) is open to well-defined, scripted out and predetermined relationship opportunities (no matter what community you live in, there seems to be more and more restrictions), but I hope that with the settings, it's not a hard "no way I'd rather die in a pit of vipers than do that! It's just eww," situation. Okay maybe a little over-dramatic. Lol

I am tired of the "HI, how are you?" "I'm good thanks. And you?" "I'm flirty. Wanna have a baby???" "Sure, your dumpster or my waterfall?" Conversations we have now.

good point never thought of it that way I'm now more interest in the update anything to make the game a little more
    challenging
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited July 2022
    In term of population management, it will be a new parameter to handle.

• NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    @Calico45 right now you can't romance or woohoo every premade. Adults can't woohoo with teens and nosim can romance children or toddlers. Do you think that's also limiting?

I haven't seen anything about whether or not it will affect randomized townies but, judging by the options on sex (can get pregnant/make others pregnant, pee while standing) and pronouns, I'm guessing that the update won't affect townies.

In technicality it is a limit, if that is what you are getting at, however my point still stands. Prior we had two romantic limiters: blood and age (and age was a limited time because they would just grow up, and teens don't even have woohoo they have mess around).

After this update, there will be more limits placed on us. For the people that wanted them, I am happy for you. However, for those of us that did not, it is a new burden we were not given an option to avoid.

You can't mess up adult sim and teenage sim (two teen sims in a romantic relationship I played had their birthdays on different days).

You're stating that, because SOME premade sims will have this settings differently from the default it's limiting to have the option to toggle off attraction to fit our playstyle.

The same way you can age up sims, you can change their preferences. I doubt the Sims team will change from the default unless there's a storytelling reason that makes sense for some certain sims.
    Happy simming!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top