Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All in one desktop computers?

Does anyone play the sims 4 on a all-in-one desktop computer? I saw some comments on it in here from 2015. I was just wonder if anyone thinks they are worth the money. Are they better today than they used to be?

Comments

• Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Define used to be? Computers in general are constantly evolving, growing faster and better at graphics. Was there something specific wrong with them back when?

With that said, usually if it still works well, you won't need to change your device. I keep my devices usually until they officially give in or don't work nearly as well.
  • KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    They are absolutely NOT worth it. I was a victim of one of those shoddy systems in my youth. You're better off getting a gaming laptop like this from Newegg. I'm no pro on building PC, but I absolutely recommend getting at the very least, a GTX 1650 graphics card and 10th Gen i-5 processor. What you choose to get regarding how much RAM you want, I'd say at the very least, 16 GB. As for storage, go for at least 1 TB of storage, especially if you're working with a lot of DLC and mods.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    edited July 2022
    Definitely not worth buying, as they are basically throw-away devices once they fail (much like a laptop). And the specs are usually much lower too, as they are generally not meant for gaming. On a traditional desktop pc, you can replace anything that breaks, as well as do upgrades like video cards too.

At work, we have a few all-in-one pc's---when they fail, they go into the e-waste bin, because they're not worth attempting to repair
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    edited July 2022
    Catwho30 wrote: »
    Does anyone play the sims 4 on a all-in-one desktop computer? I saw some comments on it in here from 2015. I was just wonder if anyone thinks they are worth the money. Are they better today than they used to be?

If you could post the specs of ones you are thinking of buying that would help answer your question. Some "all-in-one" computers in the past would come with a built in graphics card that wasn't good for much, or just enough memory to run windows and not much else. Honestly I haven't bought one in years (I try to buy more than I need at the time to "future proof" it a bit). Basically, mine works so I haven't really payed attention to what specs are good for The Sims 4, but if you posted some specs I'm sure someone could say "yay" or "nay".

EDIT:
    Here is a recent thread that might help https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/1001267/what-is-the-best-gaming-computer-for-the-sims-4#latest
  • Catwho30Catwho30 Posts: 124 Member
    The one I'm looking at says 8GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM memory (1x8GB), 1TB 7200rpm Hard drive, AMD Ryzen 3 325OU Processor, Windows 11 Operating system, 21.5 FHD IPS Touchscreen, HP 3in 1 Media Card Reader AMD Radeon Graphics(16)
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    What's the price for that? Ideally, tell us what it's called and/or give a link. I will say that it doesn't look like a very good computer, and that the only reason it'll do for simming is because sims is designed to run on a wide range of machines.

More generally, laptops cost more than a comparable desktop because parts thin enough to fit comfortably inside a laptop cost more than parts that can be plugged into a larger tower. All-in-ones tend to be laptop thin and thus ask for the laptop part premium, while still sitting on your desk. So they can work, but unless you really like the look of them I don't know that it's worth paying that extra premium.
    It's a Hewitt Packert 22 all in one Touchscreen computer it was $500 to $600 but it is on clearance at Walmart for $300. It says more than a tower on it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2022
    I bought and used one when I was a student. You can game on them but they are not built for gaming, they are too compact and are meant for office work. From the specs you listed it only has 8 GB RAM which is not a lot for playing games.

I used mine until I ended up saving for a desktop computer which I recommend saving money for. With that you can bring it to a computer shop which can repair and upgrade it without any trouble.

You don't need a gaming computer to run the sims4 but it helps a lot with the faults that the game has with lag and loading times.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm not great with computers, but you might also want to take into consideration if you are wanting to play on ultra settings, how many packs you have and if you use mods at all. Personally I'd never go back to an all in one, once it kicked the bucket it just got tossed. I ended up building my own and it's so much nicer being able to upgrade parts as you want. I play with mods, cc and on ultra settings with all packs and have a Ryzen 3 It does the job but does start to lag a bit and that's with a GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card, the one you listed looks like it might be the graphics that is built in to the processor.
    I did however upgrade to a Ryzen 7 a couple of days ago and was shocked at how much smoother it runs now.
    How long do all in ones typically last for?
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member

That depends on how good of a device you have to begin with. Sometimes 2 years, other times waaaay longer. I'm not saying get the top of the line stuff, get the stuff that best suits your needs.
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    If you looked at the innards of an all-in-one it's basically a laptop on a stand. So it'll last about as long as a laptop would. In theory it can last for a good long while. (I have a laptop that's over ten years old that I'll still use from time to time, although I don't expect to play sims or any other games on it.) In practice it'll last until it's not good enough to handle what you want it to do. The one you linked looks fine to play sims and do some mild web browsing, if that's all you're interested in.

Still, looking around walmart/amazon/newegg I can find refurbished towers that are as good for less money. If this is about you wanting to save money, a refurb is a good idea. If you really want an all-in-one because you think it looks nicer without all the desk clutter you're free to go for it. It's just a question of what your priorities are.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member

I can't say how long they typically last for but my last computer was an all-in-one Mac that has lasted for 10 years. I replaced it because it was struggling to cope with the Sims unless I had everything on the lowest possible settings which I didn't enjoy and I had saved enough to get another one specced out to comfortably run TS4 at ultra settings for years to come. That old one was never intended for gaming and at first it coped just fine. As more packs and my cc addiction piled up it started to struggle. For normal everyday use outside of gaming it is still working just fine. I have it bundled up in the closet as a backup to this one should anything happen to it.
    Ok, thank you! That's more helpful information. I just plan to use it mostly to play the sims 4 and a little web browsing. I use a laptop now and it is very sluggish. Its only 64bit and it started with windows 7 years ago. Have 4GBs with only 3.87GB of room left on it. I just wanted to know if it would hold up well enough for those things. I don't use cc's cause I have not figured out how to get them to work on my old laptop. I don't know if it was the way it was set up with the game that cc's didn't seems to work or if the game itself was just quirky. I might try to find some good build item cc's to try it out on the new all in one computer. I just didn't want to buy it and have it burn up within a couple of months of buying it. I also have had a cc addiction and don't want to go to crazy this time. Thank you to everyone who responded to help! :)
    I do also play the Ooblets.
  • Celina_NagyCelina_Nagy Posts: 16 Member
    > @Catwho30 said:
    > Does anyone play the sims 4 on a all-in-one desktop computer? I saw some comments on it in here from 2015. I was just wonder if anyone thinks they are worth the money. Are they better today than they used to be?

AiO computers cant be gamers
    You only must use "official" components aproved by manufacturer
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    > @Catwho30 said:
    > Does anyone play the sims 4 on a all-in-one desktop computer? I saw some comments on it in here from 2015. I was just wonder if anyone thinks they are worth the money. Are they better today than they used to be?

AiO computers cant be gamers
    You only must use "official" components aproved by manufacturer

This all in one I'm on is custom specced, through Apple, but it handles the Sims with ease and everything on ultra. It has a 5K Retina display and I run the game at 5120 x 2880 with frame rates above 50fps in crowded areas. So all in ones can be gamers, but not off the shelf ones. Most off the shelf computers from big box stores, in my experience, struggle with gaming and that includes towers. If you want to run games even mild ones like the sims maxed out you usually have to go with custom built. Be prepared to shop around and find what works for you on your budget. I use all in ones because I am short on space and I love huge monitors. If I had a tower I'd be hard pressed to go much bigger than 19", this all in one is 27" and fits the space I have to work with.