Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are they called "worlds", and not "towns"?

Willow Creek, for example, is obviously a town. As well as Windenburg or Brindleton Bay, whereas San Myshuno is more of a city. In its most general sense, the term "world" refers to the totality of entities, to the whole of reality or to everything that is. In real life, nobody would say that Los Angeles is a "world". It's probably such an insignificant thing to think about it, but meh.

Comments

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I agree, although the vampire "world" wasn't even a town. Saluni came close to more of a country.

The actual world's, though- like Realm of Magic- are so small, it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I suspect because they were in earlier games, where they were completely separate and you couldn't travel from one to another. But it's inaccurate in 4 I agree.
  • Options
    CybersbeCybersbe Posts: 108 Member
    It's an artifact from the Sims 3, which similarly used the term "world".

Admittedly, it made a little more sense there since you couldn't really travel to different towns/cities, whereas in this game the only barrier between a Willow Creek Sim and a day at the beach in Sulani is whether or not you have Island Living.
  • Options
    DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    Sims 4 has always been critizised of being too small so they use words which imply that it is big to counter that.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    KingofSims wrote: »
    Willow Creek, for example, is obviously a town. As well as Windenburg or Brindleton Bay, whereas San Myshuno is more of a city. In its most general sense, the term "world" refers to the totality of entities, to the whole of reality or to everything that is. In real life, nobody would say that Los Angeles is a "world". It's probably such an insignificant thing to think about it, but meh.

In the Sims 3, it was called worlds because where you lived was your world unless you went on vacation. Towards the end they did fix it a little. Before Sims 4 ever came out, they said that they were calling them hoods, but simmers wouldn't do it and so everyone calls them worlds. I liked the idea of hoods/towns ect. better because it is more realistic especially since we can travel to them like towns unlike the other Sims type games from the past.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I agree, although the vampire "world" wasn't even a town. Saluni came close to more of a country.

The actual world's, though- like Realm of Magic- are so small, it's ridiculous.
    Darren wrote: »
    Sims 4 has always been critizised of being too small so they use words which imply that it is big to counter that.

Compared to what we had in the Sims 3, they are a fourth of a world.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    It's so annoying and inconsistent with the earlier games in the franchise. I wish they were called "neighborhoods" and that they are like puzzle pieces that fit together to make one world
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    KingofSimsKingofSims Posts: 371 Member
    Cybersbe wrote: »
    It's an artifact from the Sims 3, which similarly used the term "world".

Admittedly, it made a little more sense there since you couldn't really travel to different towns/cities, whereas in this game the only barrier between a Willow Creek Sim and a day at the beach in Sulani is whether or not you have Island Living.

Yeah but even in Sims 3, I still felt like it should've been called towns/cities. But it is true about not being able to travel.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I have always assumed it's because they are different "worlds" in the travel menu. Separate worlds that you can move to back and forth. I think it kinda fits seeing that they don't have anything in common.
  • Options
    In Sims 3, they were technically cities or suburbs, not necessarily worlds. On the side of the world's name, there was a symbol that represented what type that world was.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    They'll never be "worlds" in my mind, they are just towns.
    The tiny "world" size in this game is what kept me playing Sims3 for a very long time. But one thing Sims 4 always had in it's favour is the travelling ability between towns, eventually after parting with a considerable sum you end up with a huge "world". In my head they're all interconnected and collectively make up a decent area.
    But they are not worlds.
  • Options
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    They'll never be "worlds" in my mind, they are just towns.
    The tiny "world" size in this game is what kept me playing Sims3 for a very long time. But one thing Sims 4 always had in it's favour is the travelling ability between towns, eventually after parting with a considerable sum you end up with a huge "world". In my head they're all interconnected and collectively make up a decent area.
    But they are not worlds.

Even if they were interconnected... will all of that ever compare to the realms of TS3? I doubt it.

If they're supposed to just be one big world, then draw it up as one big world, rather than these tiny towns, and let us explore it by car, bus, broom, bat wings, massive paws, etc.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    @Gamer_34567544 No they don't compare, my favourite "worlds" will always be Moonlight Falls and Roaring Heights. When my sims were there I never felt the need to travel. San Myshuno makes me angry to this day. It is not a city, it's a collection of tiny areas with painted in backdrop.
    That's what I meant by after spending a considerable sum. Eventually you end up with an area you could call a world.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Good point, and something I've given thought to before; they should be called towns in my opinion
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Um...I've actually never thought about it before but now that you did I don't know actually why it's like that. I could see like the actual vacation part to be worlds, but not like the normal neighborhoods or towns etc. Probably something they never thought about changing.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    KingofSims wrote: »

I would prefer towns and city for (San MyShuno).

Forgotten Hollow with 5 lots could be a village! Henford on Bagley is supposed to be a village but it’s bigger than Forgotten Hollow! 🙄🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I so agree. The big worlds should be called towns & the small worlds should just be called a neighborhood.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I do treat them as towns or cities in my game, too, but I think they're called "worlds" because there is no umbrella term that accurately describes all of them. I can clearly see the base game worlds and most of the others as towns, and San Myshuno and Del Sol Valley as cities. With Sulani and Mt. Komorebi, however, it would be weird to call them towns because one is clearly an island chain and the other appears more like a country with three towns located in different places on the mountain. And Magnolia Promenade is neither of those things, it's literally just a street...
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I don't like how they're called but by now I've accepted it. It was a huge change coming from TS2 where neighbourhood meant what is now called a world.
  • Options
    CuddlyWuddlyMeCuddlyWuddlyMe Posts: 35 Member
    I often wondered this as well. They should be towns or villages really, definitely not worlds. It's like in the Sims 3 you had Sunset Valley which I always thought was much more of a village than a world. I guess it's just one of those quirky Sims things.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I am pretty sure it's habit from previous games where you couldn't visit another livable... worlds ;)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I refer to them as towns whenever I write up what Happened In Your Game Today, posts. They used to be referred to as neighborhoods back in Sims2.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2022
    I guess it kinda simplifies it because if it was towns then it would be like
    ''no this is not a town this is a village no this isn't a town this is a city'' and so forth
    guess they are more of ''new areas'' but that doesn't quite have same ring to it as ''new world''

also neighborhood would do but then that has problem with the smaller areas now being called neighborhoods
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Yeah, that's a legacy term that doesn't fit SIms 4. They're towns. I could see referring to saved games as Worlds.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I've never thought of them as Worlds. Mostly towns and neighborhoods. What determines a town or neighborhood depends on how long it would take my sims to travel there. Neighborhoods require minimal travel, such as visiting the spa, or going out to dinner. Visiting a nearby town to go to the beach would be a day trip.