Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reporting CC Creators Locking Content Behind a Permanent Paywall

IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
edited June 2022 in General Mods Discussion
Back in 2017, SimGuruDrake issued a statement regarding the controversy behind paywalled content: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/930045/ea-its-time-you-start-doing-something-about-the-entitled-cc-creators-in-the-sims-community/p3
Good morning folks! So I've been alerted to this thread by the mods and wanted to provide some insight here on two points of discussion: CC/Mods locked behind a paywall and Patreon.
CC/Mods Locked Behind Paywalls - Creators cannot lock content they make using our game behind a paywall. While we do not police this content (there is no way we would create a team simply to monitor this) we do take reports sent to us seriously and action accordingly.
Patreon - We understand that folks who make CC / Mods for others to enjoy are doing it in their free time and may desire to offset costs to create the content by using this service. As long as the content is still made available FOR FREE we do not mind these types of pages. Folks who have a Patreon page are welcome to provide folks with "early access" incentives for their content but it should be made available to the general public within 2-3 weeks of it being given to folks early.

I hope that this provides you with some clarity and please reach out should you have any questions.

Is this still considered a current and valid stance from the SimGurus on the topic? How would the community go about reporting creators that do not follow this guideline? There seems to be a bit of discourse on r/TheSims about the topic and a lot of people claim that the statement is "outdated."
Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
Origin ID: iRetr0
tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    They probably don’t really care anymore. The creator who made the robe/bonnet permanently paywalls stuff, and I’ve heard that the HeyHarrie also does this and they had her make birthday stuff and build lots.

Also somebody posted a link to a download for npcc and a mod deleted it even though the creator never updates the free version.
  • SimCherSimCher Posts: 41 Member
    Can someone please help me? When I sign in my game, it won't go anywhere. Today, I can't sign in at all. I wrote someone 2 days about it, but they are doing nothing. When the Mods & Scrips box pops up, right after you sign in, I have no scrips in my box. So When I click on the sim I got in to see last night, I can't see. It's like a dead click, like I'm clicking somewhere I shouldn't be or that is not set up for clicking. I can't get to the box, after signing in that makes us allow mods & scripts after an update. I can't see either. Also someone said I needed to delete 15 sims, that I was over 200, but I am not. I counted them individually and I have 170. However, this story is a mess, but I deleted 5, so it said 210. Closed it down and decided I better get back up at 3am, save everything on my terabyte thing. Just the mods & my Sims. please help me. I had 215 Sims, and someone had reinstalled the 5 that I had deleted.??? I have no idea how to do that. I've been have medium problems from a stalker guy, who i think works at EA. He's never gone this far, but he's done some pretty crappy stuff. Please help, anyone. I will put $10 in your patron or mail. Thank you, Cher
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Have you tried removing your mods folder to your desktop, doing a game repair, and seeing if you can open your game without mods. If you can, you may have a broken mod.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    SimCher wrote: »
    Can someone please help me? When I sign in my game, it won't go anywhere. Today, I can't sign in at all. I wrote someone 2 days about it, but they are doing nothing. When the Mods & Scrips box pops up, right after you sign in, I have no scrips in my box. So When I click on the sim I got in to see last night, I can't see. It's like a dead click, like I'm clicking somewhere I shouldn't be or that is not set up for clicking. I can't get to the box, after signing in that makes us allow mods & scripts after an update. I can't see either. Also someone said I needed to delete 15 sims, that I was over 200, but I am not. I counted them individually and I have 170. However, this story is a mess, but I deleted 5, so it said 210. Closed it down and decided I better get back up at 3am, save everything on my terabyte thing. Just the mods & my Sims. please help me. I had 215 Sims, and someone had reinstalled the 5 that I had deleted.??? I have no idea how to do that. I've been have medium problems from a stalker guy, who i think works at EA. He's never gone this far, but he's done some pretty crappy stuff. Please help, anyone. I will put $10 in your patron or mail. Thank you, Cher

You can find information on broken/updated mods and how to troubleshoot your game here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1000307/broken-updated-mods-cc-june-14-2022-werewolves-patch/p1
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    It’s really telling that they mention “report rule breakers” but never actually link to where you’d do that.
  • IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    It’s really telling that they mention “report rule breakers” but never actually link to where you’d do that.

Quite right.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Also somebody posted a link to a download for npcc and a mod deleted it even though the creator never updates the free version.

he never update the pay version also ....

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I think they need to clarify and enforce, because at this point it looks like the new policy will only harm those who were actually following the rules.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Lucky20Lucky20 Posts: 5 New Member
    Can we report the people that does exclusive items since they are on a perma paywall?
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    Ya'll I am so tired. Since they announced that Early Access was okay but did not clarify what 'reasonable' was (I'm guessing they just assume people would use their previous VERY CLEAR policy of 2-3 weeks) I've seen one creator with a SIXTY DAY early access, at least one with a 30 day early access. Neither of these are reasonable and I will be reporting every one of them I see and I will KEEP reporting them until they are stopped.

EA needs to clearly and concisely state what 'acceptable' is because it was very clear before and they still found a way to exploit it or ignore it.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    Ya'll I am so tired. Since they announced that Early Access was okay but did not clarify what 'reasonable' was (I'm guessing they just assume people would use their previous VERY CLEAR policy of 2-3 weeks) I've seen one creator with a SIXTY DAY early access, at least one with a 30 day early access. Neither of these are reasonable and I will be reporting every one of them I see and I will KEEP reporting them until they are stopped.

EA needs to clearly and concisely state what 'acceptable' is because it was very clear before and they still found a way to exploit it or ignore it.

If this is the same creator Im thinking of, they're even putting public content behind ADFLY. And we all know those sites are filled with nothing but malware. Its utter trash.

They should give an exact time frame. Otherwise there's going to be no shortage of creators thinking they're slick, and saying that a few months to a year is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable amount of time for early access. I say they should give a max of 30 days.
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »

If this is the same creator Im thinking of, they're even putting public content behind ADFLY. And we all know those sites are filled with nothing but malware. Its utter trash.

They should give an exact time frame. Otherwise there's going to be no shortage of creators thinking they're slick, and saying that a few months to a year is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable amount of time for early access. I say they should give a max of 30 days.

The original rules were a 2-3 week time frame. MOST people stuck to that. If it were me, I'd give a max of two weeks, that's plenty of time. More than plenty, really.

Sadly, I can't report any of them. No matter what time a day, no matter what browser, I can't access the ea help forums or the form for reporting. It times out, or tells me my connection was lost, even though other sites are just fine. Even as I type this here, it's not connecting. It's a good thing I don't have a bug to report, I wouldn't be able to report it.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I belong to Patreon and donate monthly to modders (3) who do a lot for my game. I am sure all 3 have only 2-3 weeks early access, otherwise I wouldn't have contributed. I think this is important to the sims community and the modders are the ones fixing everything, not EA.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Lucky20Lucky20 Posts: 5 New Member
    I think we shouldn't have to pay for custom content if you asked me but the fact that even for clothing that are locked even on Exclusive paywall which should not even be allowed either
  • DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    I don't understand paywalling at all. For example, if I want to see what's on Patreon, all mods you have to pay for are locked. How am I supposed to know what I'm paying for? Do people support modders blindly? This is stupid, I suppose...
    As for perma-paywallers I think they suck. They are breaking EA rules. They should be reported and banned from Patreon.

There is a good site, where people added mods from that perma paywallers for free ;)

There is also a site where there is a black list of all paywallers and reasons why not support them. I will never support these people

Also, where can I report perma paywallers?
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Diassa wrote: »
    I don't understand paywalling at all. For example, if I want to see what's on Patreon, all mods you have to pay for are locked. How am I supposed to know what I'm paying for? Do people support modders blindly? This is stupid, I suppose...
    As for perma-paywallers I think they suck. They are breaking EA rules. They should be reported and banned from Patreon.

There is a good site, where people added mods from that perma paywallers for free ;)

There is also a site where there is a black list of all paywallers and reasons why not support them. I will never support these people

Also, where can I report perma paywallers?

it's only blocked to people whom aren't paterons. Those whom are paterons can see what's the mod is.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

it's only blocked to people whom aren't paterons. Those whom are paterons can see what's the mod is.

This is exactly what I meant. You have to become a Patron to see content. How can I pay for something I don't see now, because I'm not their Patron? Pay blindly?
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    something if it is notorious, the little amount of new content after all this....
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The arrangement with EA, which owns the game that enables the CC to run, is that CC is to be free to all after a 'reasonable time'. I can understand creators wanting to recoup some of their investment, but the arrangement is the arrangement. I have seen CC over 2 years old still locked under a paywall. This amounts to running a for profit business using the IP of another entity without their permission.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I think what ends up happening is people follow the creators on places like Twitter, Instagram etc and the modders/creators tend to share sneak-peeks on there. People see the mod or item in-progress and then go to the Patreon to pledge.
    So it's not entirely blind but if you simply find the person on Patreon, it certainly feels like it when everything's locked. Seems like a daft idea to me, quite honestly.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • AstroWitchAstroWitch Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi,

Sorry to bring up that topic, but i was wondering if this case was formalized ? If yes, can we report cc creators putting cc behind permanent paywalls on this page ? : https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-report-cheat-hack-scam-websites-to-ea/
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,310 EA Community Manager
    AstroWitch wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to bring up that topic, but i was wondering if this case was formalized ? If yes, can we report cc creators putting cc behind permanent paywalls on this page ? : https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-report-cheat-hack-scam-websites-to-ea/

The method of reporting content to us for investigation is found on this EA Help page.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »

I think what ends up happening is people follow the creators on places like Twitter, Instagram etc and the modders/creators tend to share sneak-peeks on there. People see the mod or item in-progress and then go to the Patreon to pledge.
    So it's not entirely blind but if you simply find the person on Patreon, it certainly feels like it when everything's locked. Seems like a daft idea to me, quite honestly.

Some creators keep their Patreon *and* another site. Their Patreon is always locked to pay only, but their other site has everything for free. I've found that many times when people say "this creator *never* unlocks their stuff."