Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Deal With University?

Hoping they have done HS totally different, since uni is such a boring grindfest.

It is so looooong with 12 credits required, I usually opt for the max 4 at a time so that I only have to do it on 3 repeats (I rotate away between semesters so that it is not a constant rinse and repeat job). I also make sure to group my sims up so that I can take a number of them through it all at the same time.

For certain jobs I really do want my sims to have degrees, but it is becoming so yawn-inducing.

So, what do you peeps do?

How Do You Deal With University? 141 votes

What do you mean, grindfest? I love uni exactly as it is!
10%
TheSpotted_CBeardedgeeksimgirl1010TimBitmueller_liteThisSentenceIsALieAquaGamer1212BlueR0seNushkaSapphire769duriankindEternalSunshinemightyspritecarpe_diemchillaby 15 votes
I do no more than a couple of credits at a time so they can actually have a social life, even though it means doing it longer.
26%
Sara1010PMichelleWalan650111WedWrenryJueJuecchant86robyngravesElegantblkchina1ashcrash19cherparXxAirixXDoloresGreyMDianaSimsDominicLaurencefilipomelPhillipaErdnussCattyBetsybirdonawiregrassharp 37 votes
Uni is just an extended party and my sims always get thrown out.
0%
crocobaura 1 vote
I no longer send sims to uni, it's too boring after playing it once/twice/however many times.
17%
AlexaiimhappyMi9shaoscarMelisendreSnuffyBucketfriendlysimmersSavorySageDeadFishyalanmichael1suzanna13StinalinaemeremannannahalloweenchildSelinaKylesMaggieMarleyOnverserChadSims2Internal_ChaosAkil 25 votes
I cheat to get my sims their degrees (details please).
3%
davina1221duhboy2u2kayt45SAEldarincody6268 5 votes
I use a mod to change certain aspects (details please).
9%
alexspoom13sam123EnkiSchmidtAineFanPhoriaEvilyn_1007nerdfashiontelemwillSiggDiggitmanicobsessiveDuvelinaGirafHuntrfiggyluciusstorm 14 votes
I don't care about degrees, my sims can have whatever job I want to give them.
8%
catmom1987windweaverBreeSashaMilutinMujovictaydevmusteniKyreRoenHopeyStarrLady_BalloraKimmerDarkshadow608RandomTokenCode 12 votes
Other
22%
CK213bshag4lvGalacticGalErja888BlkBarbiegalrudolphablaq797SimpatsyannelanorbretonAnmirlamildredalienWndblwzKironidelemonellaLeccaLyrieStarfreeBreazonaRedShoe7j1z1 32 votes

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Other
    LOL I just realised I forgot to put my own option in of playing the max credits, so I had to vote other.

*rolls eyes*
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I use & recommend Peri_shorteruniversity: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41632608
    The 8 credits version works best with normal lifespan in my opinion. I hear it's a bit finnicky when you aim for more a single degree, but cannot tell you details, because I didn't need that function so far.

Alternately you could rule that some careers require "some college". The sim would work towards 2-4 credits and instead of a degree they'd get the "Connections" reward trait that lets them skip to level three of a career (cheat the required satisfaction points if needed).

In my own game it's less of a problem, because I play rotationally with aging off. My students take an orientation week (1 main class + 1 elective), then do some practical learning depending on their major, then they spend a long time unplayed and by the time I rotate back to them resuming uni doesn't feel like a chore. Just like you I group them together in the same household for uni, but that's less to cut down on the time requirement and more for socializing/micromanaging.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    edited July 2022
    I do no more than a couple of credits at a time so they can actually have a social life, even though it means doing it longer.

this, or I don't care :p What means cheat if needed :smiley:

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited July 2022
    Other
    I play the max credits, but I agree with you. It's very boring, the pack was fun to play in the beginning but now when I have seen most of it all activities and organizations feel pretty boring.

Reading 4 courses is not too difficult once you know what to do, but the problem with that is that you just end up doing tasks over and over again, and that's not what The Sims 4 is good at, the game is good for creativity and building relationships etc. not do tasks, and if you live in the dorms then you will just end up being annoyed at all the roommates who are useless.

It's also one of the packs that I feel suffered a lot from The Sims 4 not being open world.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    When I allow myself to play with mods, I use the faster homework mod. That helps me have a balance of school work and social life.

I'm going to look into this shorter university mod. I've been looking for one.

But for the past year I've been playing a vanilla game. Then I just do 3 credits per semester and pause aging for a week or 2. Or do 4 credits and buy the moodlet solver potion to cram all the school work on the last day.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited July 2022
    Other
    Editing my original post as it came off as too negative because I guess I was in a bit of an academic rut.
    But yeah Uni is waaaaay too academics focused and the parts that does add more college life are too shallow, like the clubs and the secret society.

I am playing tonight.
    So right now it's Friday and I sent them to Britechester campus to the student commons and things suddenly got more interesting.
    07-06-22_6-44-47_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Right away I saw that one of the dormies that came along was brokenhearted.
    That's all Edgar needs to know. She's single now. Time to chat her up.
    07-06-22_6-45-39_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Also, students from past rotations are still in the clubs I formed and they hang out here in the commons.
    So there are more sims going about commons activities.
    07-06-22_6-47-16_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This dormie is Angelina, and she has no interest in Edgar at all.
    07-06-22_6-47-40_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Poor Sofia used a pranked toilet.
    She's a High Maintenance sims and this really set her off. I had to work to calm her down.
    07-06-22_6-50-47_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    I added a basement to the commons for more things to do.
    07-06-22_6-57-30_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Unfortunately, a NPC mixologist will not spawn for the bar, and currently there is no one working the cafeteria, so I just have my sims operate it for each other.
    07-06-22_6-57-24_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And a perfect opportunity for Edgar to get to know Nozomi better.
    07-06-22_6-58-58_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There is going to be a romance happening before the weekend is up.
    07-06-22_6-59-22_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There are a lot of things to do in my custom dorm. I just need to take lighter loads to enjoy them.
    Unfortunately I am trying to get the rest of my sims through Uni quickly. Or at least I was, until High School Years was announced.
    Now I will spend extra time in their High School years.
    07-06-22_7-25-50_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    I've taken to taking pictures of my sims and the dormies.
    07-06-22_7-31-19_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The sorting wall, I think these three capture Edgar best, but I will go with the framed one.
    07-06-22_7-33-03_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It's for the wall. My sims are on the top.
    My favorite dormies are on the bottom.
    07-06-22_6-19-11_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next week is their final week
    I will try to alternate days between operating from the dorms and operating from the student commons to mix things up and get some of that campus atmosphere.

When they graduate, they will go back to my prep school, which is a rotation point for groups of sims taking turns at Uni.
    There are currently three high school students back there waiting their turn to rotate into Uni, after they graduate.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I use the shorter university mod. A week makes more sense when taking the Sims entire lifespan into account. Also it's much easier when you play via rotation.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited July 2022
    I no longer send sims to uni, it's too boring after playing it once/twice/however many times.
    I played with University once I quickly learned there was nothing to do besides homework did a quick save and played my main household so I can't even say I played one play through of it because it was just that bad.

I can see the discussion during the creation of this so-called expansion...
    First developer: What can we add to make University fun and immersive for the player
    Second developer: Let's not do that homework and rabbit holes they will love it! oh and toss in a bike only adults can use

So glad the high school pack is everything University should have been
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I use a mod that helps with the homework and stuff so it doesn't take as long. The hardest part is grinding up the skills required, otherwise I just have my sims not live in the dorms, but maybe that would be okay too, not sure.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think 12 credits is WAYYY too much considering they gave us a pack that is all about the most boring, tiring, and repetitive parts of uni. There is so much studying that needs to be done, homework, and exams that it makes it so impossible to do anything fun at all. My sims are always uncomfortable, tense, or angry it really is frustrating and I have no idea what thought process was going through their minds when they decided to create a pack like this. IMO TS3 did an amazing job with the university expansion I was so excited for this pack when it was announced because I thought it would be very similar.

The only way I can get my sims to complete their degree is by using a mod that makes it so I only have 6 credits for them to do. I usually do 2 units at a time so they only have to go there 3 times which is better. It also makes it so I can through keg parties more often and actually have my sim have time to be in the organizations and do actual gameplay things.

EDIT: What I have noticed when using a mod like this however is that when I get my sim to work in a career that is based on their completed degree their skills are not as high as they would have been when doing the vanilla 12 credits. It is a little annoying since my sim just became a scientist (never done this career before even though I've had the pack since release) her handiness skill is only level 4 so some of the equipment she needs to use to check the boxes for work can't be done because she can't do specific things if her skill is lower than needed.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other

As the sims in my worlds expands with new births, lately I just group the young adults from teen yrs into one house then send them all together to the dorms, other student housing or have them live with the Elderberries in Britechester. The work is grinding but when they finish a semester I send them to Sulani or whatever for vacation. It's also nice if you ave a spellcastor that can create the plenty of needs potion so they can do their studies and activities with their organizations without needing to stop to take care of their basic needs.. One time I had my own 8 sims livng in the dorms but somehow added an NPC dormie that brought food all the time. That was fun. I also fill the dorms/student housing with lots of activities to help them with fun, workout, emotions, skills and etc. Basically I'd rather send a bunch of sims at one time to get their degree instead of one at a time.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I always have my sims live at home, have a full time job hopefully one with the option to work from home and get them taking 2-3 classes. I find I get more out of it the less classes they take and it extends my time playing the uni gameplay.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Other
    LOL I just realised I forgot to put my own option in of playing the max credits, so I had to vote other.

*rolls eyes*

I was going to say just that. :D

So yeah, "Other" for me, too, although I usually grind through the entire thing at once, sometimes grouping together various students that wouldn't know each other normally. And I have to say that doing this one too many times has soured my opinion of the pack somewhat. It wouldn't be half as bad if university was more compatible with rotational play, though.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited July 2022
    Other
    Yep, max credits.
    If I send them, I get it over with as soon as possible. I grind them through unless I decide to play a different storyline because something else has caught my attention or am testing something in another household.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,621 Member
    I use a mod that essentially removes homework (automatically finished the daily work) so my sims only have to work term papers and presentations (heck, that's how I did university IRL). That frees up time to have a social life while still requiring some school work.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,446 Member
    Other
    I do max credits. Fortunately my sim, who just finished her second degree, had it pretty easy with only two classes each day. Only exception was one term where she had three classes some days and one on the others.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't care about degrees, my sims can have whatever job I want to give them.
    I would consider it, but I hated living in the dorms in-game, making it an unpaid job (by living at home) is boring, and though I like the concept, the length is just too much when I decide to hop from job to job. 4 credits per week for 3, or 4+ weeks of less is asking too much.
    Alternately you could rule that some careers require "some college". The sim would work towards 2-4 credits and instead of a degree they'd get the "Connections" reward trait that lets them skip to level three of a career (cheat the required satisfaction points if needed).
    @EnkiSchmidt
    You have inspired me. That is ingenius.

Maybe "work-study" programs like volunteering at the soup kitchen for culinary, cleaning up trash for conservationist, etc. This would alleviate the fact that getting into a job has no real requirements, but without needing 3 whole weeks to get one degree.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I have grown to prefer having my Sim go to Uni from home. However, every now and then I get urge to have them in the dorm setting. I am really curious to see how the High School pack is going to handle schooling. I still think University is a great pack because it adds the option to go to college from home which no other Uni packs in past games offered. However, I agree that it can be a needs-juggling grindfest most of the time and I have to be in a very specific mood to play the game like that as I am usually a storyteller first of all. When I first got the Uni pack I had a set of triplets go to school together and it was INSANE!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2022
    I generally find the gameplay some what boring in the Sims 4 university so I take a few classes each semester so my sims can have time for other stuff as well. I think the Sims 4 version of university focuses to much and studies and that there isn't really much of anything that is fun for students to do outside of classes and homework, I wish the on campus events were better.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    My University Sims take one class in their course of study at a time. They sometimes also take an elective, but not always. Since I play with aging off, I'm in no hurry to get my Sims their degrees before much of their lives pass them by.

Their lighter course loads allow my Sims to do more than academic activities. They can participate in campus activities, socialize, and relax. They also live at home, but they usually hang out on campus every day, or in other places in Britechester.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    edited July 2022
    I use the mod by Peri, Shorter University, and I use the package where University only takes 8 credits to graduate. I put the Sims through 4 terms, each representing one year, and they take 2 classes per term. I also adjust the difficulty with MCCC. They now spend way less time on classes and actually have more time to do extra-curricular activities, party, date, visit their families, or work toward aspiration goals etc. I also put them through in "cohorts" as they age up to young adult, and play rotationally so that I only play one term at a time and don't get bored with it.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I use & recommend Peri_shorteruniversity: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41632608
    The 8 credits version works best with normal lifespan in my opinion. I hear it's a bit finnicky when you aim for more a single degree, but cannot tell you details, because I didn't need that function so far.

In my own game it's less of a problem, because I play rotationally with aging off. My students take an orientation week (1 main class + 1 elective), then do some practical learning depending on their major, then they spend a long time unplayed and by the time I rotate back to them resuming uni doesn't feel like a chore. Just like you I group them together in the same household for uni, but that's less to cut down on the time requirement and more for socializing/micromanaging.

This is extremely similar to what I do! I don't think I've met someone before who played so similarly. :)
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    My sims take no more than three credits, including electives, and they stay home - they're busy working on the next generation, after all. I find they have plenty of time to do everything they need to do at home, plus college, plus social life - and I play rotationally. It all works out for me, but it took a bit to find a rhythm lol.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited July 2022
    I pretty consistently use a mod that takes fewer credits to graduate. That way, I can get a degree fairly easily done in about 2-3 sim weeks (depending on what I feel like doing) while still participating in uni activities and such, which is about as long as it tends to stay fresh and fun for (not to mention about as long as it takes to max all the relevant skills for a degree anyway lol).

Also, this isn't a mod, but I've made over all the university housing in a way that gives them more playability and character (imo) and download them into every save, which on its own has made dorm living SO MUCH more fun for me (still wouldn't want to do it for 4+ weeks tho).

With those changes which allowed me to explore more of the school organizations and events and such along with classes, I actually have one save where I play with a sim that I keep sending back to school with the goal of collecting ALL the degrees. I was then gonna use those degrees to be able to max every branch of every career without using reset cheats (normally, once you choose a branch there's not really a way to go back and do the other, but with a degree you can just skip to the branch you want). I was having a lot of fun with it too, but got some of the wind taken out of my sails regarding it when I discovered that, even tho I can go to the second branch of a career with the degree and max it and everything, that branch's build rewards still remain locked without cheats. It shouldn't be that big a deal, I could just cheat them of course, but it was just such bummer to me in the moment that I haven't been back to that save since lol.
    Post edited by FanPhoria on
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Other
    It's not that I don't send them, it is just that I seldom do. It absolutely is an exercise in speed management overload and I wouldn't send them at all if they were just going to flunk out anyway, but only certain situations really have me willing to go through it.