Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do sims die in your game? part 2

So, I'm saying "part 2" because I remember asking this question at least two years ago when not a single sim would die unless it was because I intentionally killed them.

Now it seems as though sims I don't play are starting to drop like flies. So I noticed on one of my sims that an npc sim who several of my rotational sims knew for some reason was showing up as a ghost in the relationship tab. But it still shows she has a job, not sure if she is working as a ghost or if the job is still listed because the last time my sim saw her, that is what she was doing. But, she is a scientist and so is one of my other sims. So the thought was I would have him go to work and see if she was still working as a ghost, and if so, invite her to move in until he could resurrect her.

So I swap over to my scientist sim and check his relationship tab, and sure enough she is showing up as a ghost .... along with 4 other sims he knows. And not just random townies, sims with houses, families, and careers. maybe if they don't show up to work, they will show up at ghost night in one of the bars?

I was actually thinking it might be cool to have a "ghost buster" sim ... well sort of. Instead of getting rid of ghosts they could find ways to resurrect them. Problem with that is, I only have one sim who has both cooking and gourmet cooking to level 10. But she has never fished. She could start fishing, but needing 1,500 aspiration points per potion of youth will be difficult while taking care of a toddler and doing programming gigs as a freelancer. So that's probably out.

I do wish there was a way to find out how sims not on your lot have died. And as I typed that, I alt tabbed back to the game and checked the neighborhood stories and 2 other sims my sim doesn't know have died, one to a cowplant (even though I've been to almost every lot and have never seen one), and another one to a botched repair job (electrocuted). I wouldn't mind the occasional sim dying and if it was one that one of my sims was attached to, then of course they would try to find a way to bring them back. But it looks like neighborhood stories is killing them off pretty quickly ... guess I'll turn that off.

Comments

• jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    02-26-22-10-15-52-PM.png
    02-26-22-10-17-57-PM.png
    Very rare. As of now, I only had one repairman died while he was fixing the refrigerator. I arranged some kind of a "funeral" for him and all that, attended by the repairman's wife and two kids (of course I had to actually go in the gallery to find his wife and kids). This is so far the only sim yet who have died in my game.

I make sure my main sims are careful about certain things lol

btw maybe your Neighborhood Stories is on, you can turn it off or just turn off the autonomous dying or whatever you call it.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    mine still die only when i tell them to
    but yeah i have neighborhood stories off cause it just doesn't go with my playstyle and i kinda prefer to choose for every sim myself and witness their deaths for now
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Mine? So rare as to be impossible.
    NPC's (in person)? Once in a while.
    Death calls? At least a few times per two weeks.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Yeah, turns out I had neighborhood stories turned off for the sims I play, but it was on for unplayed households. Which might explain the excessive moving that unplayed sims did. Some families with 4 or 5 sims, would move out of their house into a new house with one bedroom .... And several other unplayed families had that I had no real contact with had 4 or more babies. Neighborhood stories seem like a neat idea on paper, but in practice it has made a mess of my save lol. Luckily I've been able to fix the save with MCCC.

That and some of the phone calls you get are just flavor text. One of my sims ended up marrying a sim who had called at least three times asking if they should go for the promotion. My sim said yes every time, and the other sim called back later to say they got the promotion. But on marrying that sim and having them move in, they were still at level one of their career field.
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I have my age span on normal and it's sort of part of my legacy challenge so yeah sims die when they get old but I think it's only for that reason nothing else. I think there might be something in the legacy challenge later on but other then that they just die of old age. I used to hate it now I'm just kind of used to it because I get to move onto the next heir or I am already when it happens.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2022
    Neighborhood stories kills off 2 townies per day lol.

When it comes to my own gameplay, thanks to my mods I have accidental deaths happen fairly often. Without mods I think I'd need to show actual effort to have anyone die. I actually really dislike how there's no surprise factor in the game at all and instead you get your hand held by clear warnings. E.g. notification screaming your sim is "freezing to death" and how you'll get a moodlet and need to repeat certain actions for anything to happen. So mods for the rescue.

I enabled autonomous repairs with MCCC, then comboed it with "deadlier electrocutions" mod >:). It follows TS2 type of ruleset, i.e. skill and current emotion, you can die right away with "right" conditions. I also have deadlier fires but haven't really been able to see it much in action (and the times I have, my sim was very quick to autonomously put out the fire.)
    I also have a mod which makes vampires more dangerous. Drinking deeply has a risk of death and drinking uncontrollably will always kill. My Insatiable Thirst vampire keeps messing up a lot. Though most of the time the death doesn't stick since he often happens to be Confident and will take the opportunity to utilize the Demand interaction. He'd never use the plead interaction for some random stranger but he sure loves bossing Grimmy around (they have a love-hate relationship), thus he also ends up preventing deaths of those he doesn't care a whit about.

Same basically goes for other types of deaths too. I.e. they happen but often aren't final since my sims tend to be successful convincing Grimmy to spare them. I once had 4 deaths in pretty rapid succession but only one of them was final. Still though, you can actually see Grimmy quite often in my game and I frankly enjoy all these chances to interact with him :D
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Mine rarely die, if ever. NPCs die. My werewolf was friends with one of the Landgraabs, and after she went out hunting, discovered he was a ghost... I have no idea what happened, unless hunting means you kill someone...
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I have 7 saves, and only one of them has aging on. In the ones with it off, they are immortal--no one dies. In the one with it on, they always die of old age (although I did have one die from exercising too much)
  • luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,621 Member
    For several play throughs I had aging on, so there would always come a week or two when all the elder sims would start dying of old age in waves. Everyone would be very sad for a while.

Shortly after Neighborhood Stories came out, it started killing them off like crazy, so I turned it off.

Now I play with aging off and the sims who die do so because I choose it, mostly due to a logical progression of old age but a few because it fits the story I'm working on.

One of my big disappointments with the game is the lack of a graveyard. I've built my own, using tombstones from Vampires and a lot trait from a mod, but it's hard work to maintain when I want to put "real" tombstones and urns in it.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Honestly, never. I play aging off and I don't really do much that puts my sims at risk of death, so they don't tend to die. I think the last time I had a sim die in my game was when I tried out a notorious mod involving a barbeque ;)
    You can have Sims die from exercising too much? That's a new one. Worst I've seen was by fire, and the weirdest was lightning strike. It's so rare that it ever happens.

Ps: lightning deaths are super annoying.
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Maybe I didn't explain my question well since I've seen this a few times. It's not my sims who are dying, the ones I currently play or the other sims of mine in the neighborhood that I eventually rotate to. And yeah, I keep aging off as well. Also they never get to make any food other than salad until they have 5 in cooking, a smoke detector directly above the oven, a working shower nearby, and a sprinkler system installed :D And I don't trust fireplaces either from what I've seen on YouTube. Then again half the stuff on YouTube for the Sims is staged.

The sims who kept dying are one's I've never touched. My sims have talked to them and know who they are, and consider some friends, but that's about it. But from what I can tell, turning of neighborhood stories has stopped they wave of death that was starting to happen. Although now I'm getting calls telling me about the new babies, but when I check there aren't any, so hopefully that irons itself out.

I love the idea of neighborhood stories, but with it turned on it is nonstop death for npc sims, and babies, so many babies. There are still a few lots I need to "fix" that have 2 parents and 6 kids, there were a lot more until I fixed those. I just think the execution of a good idea wasn't the best it could have been.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited July 2022
    Mine are not dying very often, yet, because I have too many saves to play and only limited amount of time to play. I play them all rotationally and often the aging is on long lifespan or normal, but I sometimes disable aging for some time. Rotating between all the saves takes a long time.
    Many of my saves are from 2015 or 2016 and my Sims are still alive. Most of them are adults, but there are few that have aged up into elders. My favorite Sims have also drank few youth potions, but I don't think I'll be using them anymore. They can age up normally from now on.

At some point my oldest Sims will start dying and it's probably going to happen quite the same time on many saves. It's going to be very emotional for me, because I've been playing them for so long time and I've gotten very attached to them, but I'm also excited to continue playing the saves with their children and their families.

I have disabled neighborhood stories happening on my own played Sims households. All the other Sims are not safe, though. ;)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Have you set the Neighborhood Stories to protect your favorite families? You can also set it for all of the Sims, but it takes time. I've lost Dirk Dreamer; Thorne Bailey; and Erik's mother-in-law, Carina (she was 44 days into her Elderhood); then three days later, Erik's father passed. Clicking on his ghostly appearance in Erik's tree, it states he died of old age. But, yet, on Wednesday (in the game) I could clearly see him as an Adult. I think he succumbed to high blood pressure. I had Private Practice installed at that time. I thought I made him immune, but maybe not. Wouldn't be the first time I forgot something essential. :open_mouth: I was no longer playing his household. My bad. I let it stand, though. These things happen.

So, in this game save there has been at least six deaths, maybe seven. Erik lost two more of his Obsessed Fans to freezing. This has become a trend for him. :open_mouth: I need to take a moment to reset the NS to prevent the abundance of deaths. I don't count the ones I'm notified, since my Sims don't know them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    With mods installed I noticed that accidental deaths are much more frequent, particularly the emotional deaths. I often have to actively manage my sims emotions in some situations so that they don't end up dying on me. But in general with the pack collection I have and the various hazards they introduce my sims are often on the verge of dying either by seasonal causes, flies from the garbage cans, even fire has become more of a threat from sources like the fire pits, fireworks, and the dryer, on top of stove related accidents (which have also increased as of lately).
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have had neighborhood stories off in both of my rotational saves. I have aging off most of the time, and it would just replace a lot of townies my sims are friends with, and that I have made over for more random townies….. lol….only death I remember is when my main criminal sim was completing his aspiration and killed a random older sim by fighting with him a few times. He still has the urn, but I don’t remember seeing his ghost.
  • IsabellaHamiltonIsabellaHamilton Posts: 42 Member
    Wait? Neighbourhood stories kill sims? I mean, it makes sense in a way, but I also never have that stuff enabled, and NPCs are dying left and right for me. It's pretty annoying to have your neighbourhood turn into ghostlands. Probably is mod-related in my case then. (:
    pvza8x8vky60.png
    Without neighborhood stories, Sims would be so dull...
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited July 2022
    This will give you an idea: Townies which were alive at the start of the game and have not been added to my family through marriage or some other reason, are all dead now. Every original Sim in Willow Creek has died. When you play a legacy family, you see lots of death.

Edit: To that 1 person that misunderstood this: These were natural old age deaths.
    Post edited by Ersa_Middleton on
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2022
    NPCs every now and again, I have aging on and accidental deaths on most non-played households (with the exceptions of the ones I care about for my plotline). As for my own sim, my sims tend to die of old age, although some have died laughing, though never my main sim (husbands, kids, parents are all fair game in my world, I go with it if it happens).

One exception to my "go with it" was when my main sim died laughing while swimming and her urn got stuck in the water and couldn't be retrieved. I really didn't want that floating in the water indefinitely or delete it (when someone dies, they get a grave). That time I closed without saving and got her out of the water and calmed down before she could die. She eventually died of old age at her son's Winterfest dinner. He had a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Winterfest.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Because I play almost strictly casters, very few of my sims die...ever. I don't bother with the neighborhood stories anymore due to MCC notifications being turned on in my game. I get notified about everything! :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.