Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Stuff Packs dead?

AvatarBoyAvatarBoy Posts: 1,147 Member
It's been a while since Paranormal Stuff. I can't imagine Kits replacing them, Stuff Packs not only come with build buy & CAS, but new interactions which Kits don't usually have. Unless it's too much content & resources, & they plan on having Game Packs as a replacement & just regular expansions.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    That's what I heard. I think they're replacing it with the awful kits.
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think right now we are seeing a lull in content due to the pandemic. A lot of what has come out seems to be things they had been working on prior and things have only started going towards a new normal. Kits started out as smaller ideas to add more content in-between for things like this but also for console players who can not rely on cc for new clothes and build items. Since these things take less time it's easier for them to do rather than any other pack bc stuff packs have a bit of everything including gameplay that takes a while to work through the kinks. At the moment I think the team is dedicated to game and expansions, as well as free base game updates and personally, I think that's the best right now. I'd rather these base game updates than focusing on stuff packs.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    It's been what 17 months since the last stuff pack at this point the kits killed stuff packs.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I don't know. Besides a few of them, I wasn't really rushing out to buy kits or stuff packs. I am more into the game and expansion packs anyways. Though the Paranormal one was really amazing.

Either way, I rather they focus on updates, bug fixes and taking time with game and expansions to bring more higher quality packs.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I would be glad to see a really good Stuff Pack again.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think with them beginning production on Sims 5, and moving a lot of the Sims 4 staff over to the new game (nothing is confirmed i don't think but there's been enough job postings and leaks by now to assume that's where the staff that said bye-bye on twitter went) that the people that were apart of the stuff pack production team probably got moved to game and expansion teams to fill in the empty roles. So I'd guess stuff packs are gone for good, but we'll probably still get game and expansion packs.

Kits are probably the new stuff packs now because they don't need a dedicated team to make sure a gameplay aspect is working. They can just contract outsourced employees for each kit and pump them out cheap, fast, and easy. So it's a way for Sims 4 to still keep getting content, even with lowered staff and expansions happening less often.

I don't think kits themselves killed off stuff packs. I think Sims 5 is slowing down production for Sims 4, and kits is a response to that.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    I think with them beginning production on Sims 5, and moving a lot of the Sims 4 staff over to the new game (nothing is confirmed i don't think but there's been enough job postings and leaks by now to assume that's where the staff that said bye-bye on twitter went) that the people that were apart of the stuff pack production team probably got moved to game and expansion teams to fill in the empty roles. So I'd guess stuff packs are gone for good, but we'll probably still get game and expansion packs.

Kits are probably the new stuff packs now because they don't need a dedicated team to make sure a gameplay aspect is working. They can just contract outsourced employees for each kit and pump them out cheap, fast, and easy. So it's a way for Sims 4 to still keep getting content, even with lowered staff and expansions happening less often.

I don't think kits themselves killed off stuff packs. I think Sims 5 is slowing down production for Sims 4, and kits is a response to that.

Which gurus were this?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    When Maxis first started making kits they stated on Twitter that kits weren’t going to affect pack releases. They also said kits were designed to fill content gaps. I’m not sure if fewer packs last year (and possibly this year but it’s too soon to say) were the result of the pandemic, the Sims 5 development or something else (or a combination of things) but I think kits are supposed to be the solution rather than the cause.

I also think it’s too early to declare stuff packs dead, there was a 17 month gap between My First Pet Stuff and Moschino Stuff and they weren’t dead then (also fwiw the gurus have said they aren’t dead).
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    Some people used to complain about stuff packs, I used to love them, even the earlier ones. They always had a new play item, build/buy, CAS and a few new hairstyles. I always thought they were very much worth the $10. I hope we haven’t seen the last of them. I like kits too, but not nearly as much as stuff packs.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    I loved stuff packs and I love kits. The recent kits have given us CAS and BB items of a quality that we never got with any stuff pack. I would love to see a stuff pack with that kind of quality items in it, who wouldn't. Twice as many items as we're getting now at the quality level they're producing now is a dream come true, with gameplay as an added bonus. I would love that, but I think the kits have effectively killed off the stuff packs.

Kits might have been an easier and faster way to keep producing content during the pandemic. Knowing that simmers were trapped at home and would likely be playing the game much more than usual, they needed a way to deliver new content faster to keep simmers happy. With staff stuck at home too and it being harder to get packs assembled the kits were a compromise that fit the moment. They've proven at least reasonably successful, so even though the community wants stuff packs back will Maxis listen or will they stick with a new model that works for them? I feel like the kits have been enough of success that Maxis isn't going to be in any hurry to bring back the stuff packs. I wish they would, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    The latest 3 stuff packs were really good (especially Paranormal) so I'd be sad to see them gone after seeing their true potential. If SPs started with the same quality they would have been much more appreciated from the get-go.

Honestly my biggest gripe with kits is the lack of new hairstyles, I liked that they added 3 more to the base game with the release of Incheon Arrivals and Fashion Street but they haven't done much of that since (just randomly releasing a single hairstyle in a patch or making some pack ones base game). SPs add new hairstyles as well as new clothing and stuff so I appreciate them more for that alone. :P
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2022
    Kits have probably worked better for them during the pandemic and with their current staff of people. They can make them in a shorter time and with gameplay kits now gone (they removed the category from the main menu) they don't have to focus on gameplay with them either.

We might see stuff packs again someday but I think it will be difficult with their current release schedule which seems to consist of 4 seasons in a year with base game updates, SDX, 1 pack and 1-2 kits. The only way they would be able to do that would probably be 1 stuff pack with several kits during a season and that might not be a popular decision.

My guess is that they have Lost Astral in full production, and other games like The Sims 5 in pre-production. The Sims 4 will be around for several more years and will finance their investments into their new studios.

I'm hoping that we will hear or see something in 2023.
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    It's purely a guess, but I'd say as dead as a Dodo.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I miss stuff packs. They seem to have the coolest & prettiest hairstyles, plus the outfits were so way better. <3 And Paranormal was the very best stuff pack ever. B) Oh well. :'(
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Theoretically and pessimistically, yes. Officially confirmed, no.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    I miss the stuff packs. But why should they come back again? The profit is much more better with kits and with no gameplay they are much easier to produce. I still haven't bought any kit because they are totally overprized. Maybe on sale I would have purchased some but that never happened.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    That's what I heard. I think they're replacing it with the awful kits.

your wrong and i disagree with you kits are not awful they are a nice addition to the game and back to the subject in hand i doubt stuffpacks are dead.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    It seems like stuff packs are dead. I miss them and hope stuff packs will make a return. The last stuff packs were really good and added some interesting gameplay. Kits are just looks, no gameplay content. That is why I prefer stuff packs over kits. Please let them return.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think so, considering when you go on the main menu, it's the perfect amount of slots for SP. I don't know why they would mess up the asthetic?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    It's going to take time for everything to get back to 'normal.' That being said, I am beyond tired of kits.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I don't think there's anything that's officially, but at this point it sort of feels like Stuff Packs are no longer a thing. Which doesn't mean they are definitely no longer a thing, it just feels that way.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I think so, considering when you go on the main menu, it's the perfect amount of slots for SP. I don't know why they would mess up the asthetic?

On my main menu they need to release 6 more stuff packs for it to be perfect B)

gzY85An.png
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Until Im convinced otherwise, I say they're done with SPs and hurling one lousy kit after another is the way of the future.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I loved stuff packs and I love kits. The recent kits have given us CAS and BB items of a quality that we never got with any stuff pack. I would love to see a stuff pack with that kind of quality items in it, who wouldn't. Twice as many items as we're getting now at the quality level they're producing now is a dream come true, with gameplay as an added bonus. I would love that, but I think the kits have effectively killed off the stuff packs.

Kits might have been an easier and faster way to keep producing content during the pandemic. Knowing that simmers were trapped at home and would likely be playing the game much more than usual, they needed a way to deliver new content faster to keep simmers happy. With staff stuck at home too and it being harder to get packs assembled the kits were a compromise that fit the moment. They've proven at least reasonably successful, so even though the community wants stuff packs back will Maxis listen or will they stick with a new model that works for them? I feel like the kits have been enough of success that Maxis isn't going to be in any hurry to bring back the stuff packs. I wish they would, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

I don’t see it quite the same way as you do. I always felt like we got quality stuff with stuff packs too. Kids room stuff had void critters which was extremely well thought out. Outdoor toddler stuff had outdoor toys for toddlers, plus a play date system, vintage glamour not only had the make up tables, but glamour objects to match, and I believe the bar globe as well as a butler to hire, and children could even play around with the adult makeup tables. Backyard stuff had the water slides, and I loved all the outdoor decorations it came with as well as the bird house with the birds you could talk to, and the wind chimes. My first pet stuff came with a few different types of rodents that kept children occupied, along with some extra things for cat and dogs, clothing items, and some cute children's items that matched some of those in cats and dogs. Nifty knitting came with rocking chairs even children and toddlers could use, a new skill, and tons of clothing, objects, and toys to knit. Bowling stuff came with a whole new hobby/game and the furniture to go along with it. I’m not going to mention each pack, but you get my point…. I even enjoyed the luxury stuff pack because it came with a buffet table I got much use out of before we ever got them in MWS ( and probably the High school pack ). Plus with each pack we got clothes, hairstyles, and build/buy items. I like kits too, and enjoy the furniture sets, or CAS sets that come with them, but I certainly don’t think kits are better quality than the stuff packs were. I loved stuff packs, and was much more excited to see them come out than I am for kits. But I think you are right about kits being easier for them to produce…… but I just don’t see as much hype for them. I will say that little campers was one of my favorites because I wanted more things for children, and the toys seem like new things even if the animations are similar to the other toys.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    edited July 2022
    @SheriSim57 It was never a quality problem with the gameplay play items or skill building items. It is, or was, a purely aesthetic problem for me. I don't necessarily want realism in the items in game, but I want more detail and I'd like more sharpness on those details. Maxis had to sacrifice a lot of those details and sharpness to make their product playable on the widest range of computers possible. That was what made me look at cc originally, the detailing. Over the last couple of years the detailing slowly started to improve, BB really took off with DHD, in my eyes. Since the birth of the kits CAS has made huge strides, and from Incheon Arrivals on they have been on a par with the cc community or very close to it. There are still some areas, makeup, jeans, heels, fashionable boots, and facial hair that they still lag way behind. In every other category the only reason I still use cc is because I want to have extra options so that I don't repeat the same hairstyles or outfits and so I can personalize each sim more.

I don't know what's changed, if it's the software they use to create meshes, they found someone who is a genius at creating meshes, or some other explanation. All I know for sure is, for my tastes, the visual aesthetics of the CAS and BB items is the best it's ever been and by a large margin and that improvement has been very recent.