Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play with sounds on?

Comments

• CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Other.
    I play with the sounds on but I have to turn off background music, I can't concentrate over background music (in any game).
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes, gotta hear what's happening
    A game without the sound isn't the same.

Tho, sometimes when I'm building, I'll turn off the sound and put TS2 soundtrack over it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I prefer audio cues in most games, including this one, and often including effects and music I don't always like. But I have so much custom music in the game (for in-game radios) that I do like a lot of it. I'd feel lost without music in a life, even if that life isn't mine. Besides, there's a lot of music in the real world that I don't like, too, along with much more that I do like. ;)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    All the sounds in the sims are cool...love the ambient sounds, especially the crickets.

My hearing is severely impaired and I can't use headphones so with my hearing aids in, I can keep the volume level at a mild roar. It's okay though, my computer is in my bedroom and I'm the only one at this end of the house. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    Depends

It depends. I'm a huge HUGE sound & music appreciator but I'm also extremely sensitive to certain frequencies, therefore it is important for me to find the right balance when it comes to in-game sounds and sound in general.

This his how I experience audio when I play The Sims:
    • In CAS mode I don't wear a headset nor do I listen to music. Character creation is done in complete silence until I've reached the point where I have to choose voice type and pitch. This is the very last thing I do in CAS.
    • In build mode I don't wear a headset either but instead I listen to music through external speakers. Music inspires me to build.
    • Once I'm in live mode and I'm finally ready to explore a story I'll put the headset on. I will always listen to the in-game sound for complete immersion when I'm in live mode. I can listen to the ocean or the trickling of dew collector drops for ages without really doing anything in the game. I love the splashing of fish and the chopping of the helicopter in Selvadorada and thunderstorms and the wind and the bubbling cauldron. I truly enjoy listening to the footsteps of sims and how the sound changes when they suddenly walk on a different surface. It's all wonderful and it calms me down. 😌
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I absolutely get the thing about sound sensitivity. I'm that way, too, especially with high-pitched sounds and some discordant lower-pitched ones, too. It's the main reason I never play with aliens in the game for longer than I absolutely have to. The filtering that was used to create their voices caused me literal pain before I stopped trying to "just get used to it" (which does work for me sometimes, with other sounds). I didn't want to turn all the other sounds off, though, because I very much do enjoy those other little details in the audio palette that help to paint a more convincing backdrop for all the rest.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Depends
    Live mode - on, I like having the sounds on while I play even if I have music on too
    Anywhere else - off. Having to listen to that happy happy music for two hours straight while I'm trying to build a house would probably make me go a bit insane :D It's laptop volume off, music on, the second I get into CAS or build buy
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Nope! I don't need to hear everying over and over and over again.
    Same ole, same ole....
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I just read a thread and someone mentioned how hard it was to play the without sounds on and I got to wondering if I'm the minority.

I almost always (as in 95% of the time) have the sound off when I'm in the game. Well, the sounds aren't "off" per se, but I don't have my headset on and I keep those plugged in 24/7 for work. So if I don't have my headset on, I don't hear the game. And if I have my headset on, I also can't hear what's going on outside my room and therefore would probably miss the RL toddler getting into something she should NOT be getting into! (Like pulling my decorations down off a shelf over the sofa, which was this weeks obsession with her!)

I get into the game more with the sounds on.
    When there was a glitch and sound had to be off, that was very difficult.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I voted "yes" because I almost always have the sound on in Live mode. The sound cues are useful to me, and the game is more immersive with sound.

When I'm in CAS, I'll usually mute the sound, but I turn it on while I'm creating the Sim's voice. I sometimes have the sound off during Build mode.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    99 percent of the time I play on my laptop without sound while family watches tv. Only time I have sound on, is the first time I play a new pack ;)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Depends
    I voted yes, but there are some variables I suppose. Almost all my sims have a radio or stereo and I do get tired of hearing the same songs repeated so I turn those down to low so I can't hear them (I'm guessing there is a no music setting if I wasn't too lazy to look). And I hate to say it, but I dislike most music in the Sims 4.

I started wearing headphones many many years ago when I had roommates irl. I often had jobs that went on until 2 or 3am, so when I'd get home and want to play computer games I'd wear them so I wouldn't wake anyone up. As it turned out the immersion difference between headphones or not was so great I still wear them to this day. But there are times I want to hear whats happening irl, or listen to the tv, radio, etc. So I simply slide one headphone off to the side a bit so I can hear what happening around me.

But overall having no sounds in a game is just boring to me. It would be like watching a home movie with mute on.

Open backed headphones are the way to go. I love mine.

You still get all the immersion, but yet can still hear what is going on around you IRL. The only drawback is that you do get sound leakage from them, so can be irritating to other people in the same room if you have the volume up. Unlikely to be audible to anyone in other rooms, tho'.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    Until a few days ago, I played with sound off, and played music. I still listen to music while I play sometimes, but half the time I have the sound on, very immersive!
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Depends
    I have the sound on whenever possible, for instance; when Hubby is sleeping and when he's outside or in the garage doing something. When we're on our computers together side-by-side in the living room sound is off because we're always chatting, showing each other photos, he's watching videos or we watch one together, listening to an HD radio station online together etc. I almost never play the game period when he's in the room because I NEED to have the sound on in gameplay.

However, I will mute it in gameplay when I'm alone playing with a low skill level singer Sim or one playing a musical instrument. The sound of a new violinist hurts my teeth. I'll also mute it when a baby is crying, when a Sim is painting since the repetitiveness of the sounds they make is annoying and lastly when they watch a movie which includes a LOUD warning horn going off, I think Diamonds Are Forever. The only time I turn the sound on in CAS is when I'm ready to choose a voice style. No sound in build mode, it's too distracting.

It was a bit different for TS2 in relation to build/buy mode. I always had the sound on because I loved the music. I even have a clip of it I use for certain notifications on my cell phone. :)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,414 Member
    I would like to play with sound on but can't because it would bother other people in the house. I don't miss it much only from time to time, for example when I hear people say werewolf babies howl instead of cry.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Depends
    I build a lot so sometimes will put the game on mute, I wish you could choose the songs for build mode like a playlist lol…

Also I created a couple werewolves the other day and like 2 minutes in had to mute it as they constantly howl, super annoying lol

If I end up in live mode tho I always put the sound on
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    Interesting how many people do other stuff while playing the game like watching tv or listening to music. This idea never crossed my mind.

When I play I dive into the world of my Sims. So naturally I have to listen to their voices and the surroundings like rain, birds, ocean waves or chickens guggling. :)

• wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Yeah I do. I feel like there's something wrong with the game if I can't hear anything lol cause that's normally the tell that something is glitched at least for me. My Mom will walk by when something weird happens and asks what's going on lol.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Music is always turned off but besides that sound on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    Depends
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I absolutely get the thing about sound sensitivity. I'm that way, too, especially with high-pitched sounds and some discordant lower-pitched ones, too. It's the main reason I never play with aliens in the game for longer than I absolutely have to. The filtering that was used to create their voices caused me literal pain before I stopped trying to "just get used to it" (which does work for me sometimes, with other sounds). I didn't want to turn all the other sounds off, though, because I very much do enjoy those other little details in the audio palette that help to paint a more convincing backdrop for all the rest.

@VeeDub Yup, I get what you're saying about the alien voices.
    I'm aware that a substantial part of the sims community seems to be bothered by the size and look of teens, but these things don't bother me nearly as much as their voices.
    Altering the pitch of an adult voice works fine because the natural pitch of that actor's voice is used as a default. Teens however, use the same voice but their vocal default starts at an already unnaturally high and deformed pitch. Whenever I create teens I find myself constantly shifting the pitch slider to the left, otherwise their voices would drive me absolutely insane. :D

For future reference, this is how people can break me:
    • Tie me up in a chair and place me in a room with a bunch of screaming kids/ teens or hungry babies.
    • Place ultrasonic animal repellents in my house.
    • Force me to listen to fast paced, high pitched anime "music".
    • Coil whine in general.

I'm actually avoiding entire neighborhoods now due to the animal repellents people place in their front yards. It's anxiety inducing and painful.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: You no longer need to worry about rats, cats, dogs, foxes or Captain. 😖

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    Depends
    Interesting how many people do other stuff while playing the game like watching tv or listening to music. This idea never crossed my mind.

When I play I dive into the world of my Sims. So naturally I have to listen to their voices and the surroundings like rain, birds, ocean waves or chickens guggling. :)

My computer is in the bedroom and my tv sits so close to it, its almost like a parallel monitor. I can watch it out of the corner of my eye and still focus on the game. I've tried playing without it on, but the game noise isn't enough. The room feels too quiet and I have this anxiety inducing feeling that I'm isolated from the world.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    @DaniRose2143 I confess, I have Talk Radio on in the background (White Noise). I will turn it down so it doesn't drown out the sounds of the game, so long as I'm here alone. When hubby is home on the weekends (He works M-F) I keep both my music and my game way down. The acoustics in this house are bizarre.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Yeah I do. I feel like there's something wrong with the game if I can't hear anything lol cause that's normally the tell that something is glitched at least for me. My Mom will walk by when something weird happens and asks what's going on lol.

Without the sound on, you can miss alerts to something going on that may endanger your Sims' life!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php

Oh, trust me, I dive in, too. The 'White Noise' as I call it in the background actually helps me to focus.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,125 Member
    Depends
    When building, I'll usually turn the sound off and listen to music instead. If I'm in live mode, I almost always have the sound on. But again, I also do the opposite of the two as well. It really does depend on my mood.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel