Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the American theme bother you for EP12 High School Years ?

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I had hopes for a pack that was more like Dine Out in the way of offering a system or different ways of playing with education. That would have been so much more enjoyable for me. Hmm.... from the looks of it I don't know how easy it will be to tell different stories with it. Will see how this view changes with videos. For now I am going to have fun with werewolves, downloading it now.

Hmm... It is so difficult to convey a tone when one is writing. I am disappointed because I was hoping for something that would suit my saves more but I am not angry/mad about it. I can just chose to start looking at other ways to enhance that gameplay for my saves.
  • simpureheartsimpureheart Posts: 39 Member
    Not at all - I always dreamed of attending an American high school as a British teenager, so now I can finally live out that fantasy in my favourite video game. <3

On a more practical note, I'm not sure that setting it anywhere else would have made for very interesting gameplay. In the UK we don't have lockers, we don't have graduations, proms are a very new import, cheerleading isn't really a 'thing', and American football would be replaced with soccer/football. A lot of the pack's content is quite universal, anyway, in that (most) teenagers like to be social and hang out and sneak out - as well as the stuff like learning to shave and social media.
  • SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 145 Member
    I only did a year and a half of HS and the idea of an Americana HS is just TV fantasy to me but that's what makes it so fun! It's so silly and over-the-top and unrealistic. Cheerleaders, promposal, PROM, graduation, lol I never had or did any of these things but I love it! It's so campy <3
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I grew up with schools like this so I like the theme~ It'll let me revisit old memories <3
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm happy for it to be themed around American high school.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I love the american high school theme, I don't see how they couldv'e done anything else that would have ended up being as popular. American high school is literally pop culture at this point and me not being from the US makes it even mor exciting. I can live out my american high school dreams that I see in movies lmao.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Yes, because I wanted a School Pack and not an American Pack. Just like @SilentKitty said, I wished we had a Dine Out like systeme : build your school, choose a uniform (or not), a bunch of skills to study. Options for homeschooling, boarding school. New hobbies for teens after school.

It's the Sims, they could have created a Sims educational system. I mean, at Hogwards, there are potions, botany, broom flying, and the like, which are not the typical teacher at the board, and students at their desk. So a Sims school could have been using the skill objets to learn different skills. And let us choose which skills we want for our schools. We could have made a school focusing on Arts, Science, or even Magic.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited July 2022
    Neia wrote: »
    Yes, because I wanted a School Pack and not an American Pack. Just like @SilentKitty said, I wished we had a Dine Out like systeme : build your school, choose a uniform (or not), a bunch of skills to study. Options for homeschooling, boarding school. New hobbies for teens after school.

It's the Sims, they could have created a Sims educational system. I mean, at Hogwards, there are potions, botany, broom flying, and the like, which are not the typical teacher at the board, and students at their desk. So a Sims school could have been using the skill objets to learn different skills. And let us choose which skills we want for our schools. We could have made a school focusing on Arts, Science, or even Magic.
    @SilentKitty @Neia

This!!! A School pack more similar to the Dine Out (without the bugs lol! :p ) sound like a dream! I do really hope it turns out that we will have more customization options (New School Lot where you can set school uniforms / Difficulty level (if you want a school that is strict & have harder tasks and test) / Skills / Clubs (different options: Football / Cheerleading / Swimming / Interactive soccer / Art / Music / etc) / Cafeteria food / Staff (teachers & principal) / Special rewards (if eg. graduating from a strict school).

That would give the pack more replayability and give players more possibilites to tell different stories. It's not a problem that the pack is very americanized, the problem is the lack of options to tell other stories.

• LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    No, because the Sims has always been Americanised from its inception and it's how I've always regarded it. I'm from the UK, for the record.

The only thing that's ever really bothered me was not being able to cook in the dorms in Discover University (because that definitely is a thing here), but mods fixed that for me.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I had hopes for a pack that was more like Dine Out in the way of offering a system or different ways of playing with education. That would have been so much more enjoyable for me. Hmm.... from the looks of it I don't know how easy it will be to tell different stories with it. Will see how this view changes with videos. For now I am going to have fun with werewolves, downloading it now.

Hmm... It is so difficult to convey a tone when one is writing. I am disappointed because I was hoping for something that would suit my saves more but I am not angry/mad about it. I can just chose to start looking at other ways to enhance that gameplay for my saves.

Yeah I wanted a generic "more things to do pack" and maybe a lot type. What we got was basically the University pack, but like it was in Sims 2.
    Basically it would feel really weird for me to have say a Sim living in one of the very very few non-American themed worlds (which is a huge problem in itself) to go to high school at all.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I said no, not really, because it's more like I'm not interested in the high school theme in general. I don't care whether it's American or not. I understand some players would have prefered to have more diverse options for different neighbourhoods, though, and I admit it would have been nice.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    No because I wanted it. I am American after all, so I do appreciate more of what I am familiar with being added to the game. I can honestly say, despite there being much American influence in the game, there is nothing I see that represents my area of the States, so even us Americans are not getting all the representation we would wish for.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Sports themed popularity contests don't do it for me. I would rather the high school portion be more generic and include other interests such as band or computer club. I would also have liked a Home School option.
    As it's an expac I would also have liked some of the dev time to go toward integrating the occult students. Vampire teens are supposed to go cheerlead in the sun are they? Can I pick and choose classes with some options being Potions, Curses or Herbology?

It's not a theme I particularly wanted anyway so I hope those that did want it are pleased with it.
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    The creators are American, and I would expect them to make what they know. I am certain they would get more complaints if they tried to do something they knew nothing of and got it all wrong.
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    Omri147 wrote: »
    A little. Cause with not all worlds being based on American locations, it would be quite immersion-breaking.

Plus I'm having a hard time relating to most of the school stuff we saw in the trailer, so I feel like I'd have to have play any Sim's high school experience like it's a teen drama/comedy. Would have preferred something more generic that we can maybe customize.

Yeah totally Agree on this, it's immersion-breaking. I feel that the biggest problem is that the sport activities are very americanized for a School world. The kids from Mt komorebi / Windenburg / Tartosa will look like they're on an exchange year in US. I would have prefered more options instead of the heavily focus on 2 sports that both aren't performed that much outside US. Even non existing in many parts of the world.

Yes, I would have prefered more customization / worldwide known activities because it's a School pack, not a vacation pack.

While Football isn't in most counties, I agree, Soccer is, and we already have that in the game. In University Students play soccer depending on what their major is.
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Not at all. I am an American. I'm not bothered by the worlds based on other countries. Not only that but I prefer Britechester-U which is based on an English University. Being bothered would limit the game, in my estimation. If something, say a pack or kit, bothers me I don't purchase it. End of story. I look at it this way. Using bits of other world cultures in the game helps to broaden our perspectives. All of us, no matter where you're from. I really hated it when the Publisher decided to update the Nancy Drew Mystery Book series, for instance. I began with the ones published in the late 1930's and a couple in the 1940s. I was just a kid when I read them, born in 1955. This was my parent's time zone. And in fact, this allowed me a glimpse of what life was like back then.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited July 2022
    A little, I guess. But it really depends on how it is done over all. It looks like we can design our own schools anyway, so that can change to a degree. But I am just hoping there are a variety of subject classes because I don't want my teens sat looking at a white board all day every day.

Why didn't they show art classes, cooking classes, woodwork, a science lab etc?

They did away with those years ago. Had them when I was there, my only daughter (just to illustrate, she's now in her forties) was able to attend auto-shop, but there was little else when it came to Electives.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    edited July 2022
    Kironide wrote: »
    The devs would inevitably find it difficult, if not impossible to incorporate school/teen experiences from every country worldwide, due to cultural diversity. I also recognise that American teen life is often considered iconic because of popular entertainment films, tv etc., but a nod at least to other cultures would be nice. Maybe school uniforms, for example. Don't expect it though.

I wanted to put my kids in uniforms, but the Teacher's Union decided it was a no-go. Would have eliminated so many problems.

ETA: Forgive me but I simply have to add this bit. I made my post before I read what others on the first page mentioned. As for it breaking game immersion, it doesn't. And it shouldn't. How can it? America has always been known as the Melting Pot. People from across the globe would flock here. And still do. It's nothing to see an Asian, for instance. Sikhs from India wearing their head gear. People from the Middle East, (we have two such in our Congress). If Sims from Mt. Komorebi end up in the high school, why should that disrupt the game? We've got a sampling of just about everybody around the globe here. I've said my piece.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Not at all and it is actually what I wanted. If I m going to do anything with this pack thats recreating my favorite american shows and movies and give it my own twist.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    When they did the research where american high school ep was included i thought it was an awful idea to make it american but seeing in the trailer what they did with such theme is actually pretty amazing and i love everything about it.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I’m glad it’s American for this type of pack as much as I like getting a variety of different cultures. The only issue is that I heard it was described as a mining town when we already have a few of those-eco, werewolves. I wish they had gone for New Mexico or California.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2022
    I wanted it, since I am American and went to American school, and wanted to try out the idealistic or drama-driven “movie/tv” version of American teen life.

I wouldn’t mind if they added some customization tools for more diversity and different inspirations and such, though. :)

(It’s to be expected, regardless, since The Sims are made by an American company.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I don't mind it exactly, as the US high school system is more known globally than any other so I can see it having more appeal than another system - most people have at least watched shows or seen media depicting it, so can understand it and relate somewhat even if we didn't experience it.

My view will shift though depending on exactly how customisable it is and if it's a lot type that we can place in other worlds. If I can put schools anywhere and build them to my preference I'm 100% sold. If not, I'm going to be way less interested and it's a maybe I'll buy it on sale.

I'm also curious as to how it effects teens in Mt. Komorebi, as they all are forced into uniforms (which tbh I'd like to apply to other worlds too), yet would they show up in uniform if they attended Copperdale High or what? I'm interested to see how they implement that.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,110 Member
    I don't mind, and I'm from the UK. I find American high schools way more interesting.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I love the theme since it reminds me of my teen days! And most teen movies are US themed. SO...
    iTvMKZ8.jpg