Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    edited June 2022
    Only gripe is teens still looking like Young Adults. But...if viewing the expansion as a High School drama where Young Adults/Adults oddly do get cast to play teens I can use that as an excuse for them to be going to school. :D
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited June 2022
    Burn them. Inferniate! The phones I mean. And some of the teens.
    I would LOVE to play as the new head of school and have an option to ban phones from Twitter High and I swear to Greg as soon as ONE teen refuses to adhere to my antiphone policy I'd make her lock up ALL of the students in the coalshed. Her, as in Miss Trunchbull. And yes there will be a coalshed. There will be many coalsheds. I hope I can fully customize this school. >:)

Easy to fix ... lot trait : Off-the-grid :p
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited June 2022
    haisin wrote: »
    bizuktag wrote: »
    haisin wrote: »
    I'm most excited about cross-legged sitting and sneaking out of the window.

I'd be excited about sneaking out of the window if I wasn't being forced into using a specific window and trellis in order to access the interaction. If I don't want those on my sim's house - and I don't - I lose out.

Yeah it is very limiting :( I wonder whether only the window can be used if teen's room is in the first floor.

I think that window is placeable anywhere you have free tile for sims to step on both sides of it

and the wall flower thing is probably separate new ladder so you could potentially change it out for normal ladder i assume
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    It all looks very American.

Prom sounds a bit too much - I'd be fine with just picking an outfit and sending them off into a rabbit hole style event.

My main concern is that I like schools being a rabbit hole. I have no interest in actually playing their classes (like in Sims 3 Uni, I think it was?). The only time I ever accompany my sims to work in the GTW careers is if they're single and there's no other family members for me to play, and even then I get bored of it pretty quickly. So I really hope rabbit hole schools stay an option.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
    edited July 2022
    I don't think I'm gonna get this one because just thinking of it:

things I liked:
    • Sitting.
    • additional couple dance style (well minimal changes but its still different)
    • cheerleading could go with university too which would bring activity to my fake soccer field
    • it seems like theres running track around the playing field thing which actually i was just pondering other day if its possible to build one so sims stay running on it hmm
    • amusement park until i realized its just rabbit holes
    • the icecream stand things cool tho cause i don't have cool kitchen
    • the sneakout window
    • whiteboard sims can use for something i think
    •photobooth
    but I also realized:
    • yes i still want that sitting desperately
    but one day far in the future they might patch it in on whim
    use they did that with other pack features : )

• honestly idk how much i would use this couple dance
    when i have the wedding one + even the wedding one is tad glitchy and sims never dance where i want them to

• I could literally use get together
    create cheerleader club and have them group dance on dance floor
    oh how silly of me that would very well do. theres even mascots n all

• i could try building that track thing for science

• amusement park is what i want but not as rabbit hole and it probably makes me more sad than happy this way

• sure could use icecream stand but would i really like spend much time having my sims eat icecream doubtful

• I could put a door on balcony and add ladder all the same tbh
    granted less vibey but its not like id use those windows on every building ever anyway tho

• I could use black wall with murals yes
    drawings on board all the same and I could also use those uni board homework thingies

• there is other photography too and I'm not sure if these are poses i would use anyway

therefore in the end: 40e for my sims to sit comfortably seems ridiculous

oh and worlds useless cause i could just blob my fake highschool in laurel library lot instead
    and cas and b/b this time around mmmm meh although neons and posters would probably be useful
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited June 2022
    Something I liked about proms in Sims 3 Generations was that your Sim would get pop-ups to ask or be asked by other teens, which you could accept or decline, so you were still given control over it. It could be a romantic interest, a friend or someone your Sim doesn't even know.

Sure the whole prom was a rabbit hole but I loved that particular feature cause it gave my Sims a chance to choose who THEY like rather than me choosing who they date. And the pop-ups during the prom would suggest if it works out between them or not.

So I really really hope we get something like that, but I'm afraid it would be too micro-manage-y and Sims won't ask or be asked by anyone unless the player chooses to.

• Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    So far, like what everyone else has been saying, my only big complaint is how the sims still look too much like adults. Take out prom and this is basically University 2.0 .

Speaking of, a second school expansion pack seems kind of redundant. Even if it does seem a lot more alive than University. Speaking of, I wonder how much of that liveliness from the trailer will actually be in the game.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Miricha wrote: »
    It all looks very American.

Prom sounds a bit too much - I'd be fine with just picking an outfit and sending them off into a rabbit hole style event.

My main concern is that I like schools being a rabbit hole. I have no interest in actually playing their classes (like in Sims 3 Uni, I think it was?). The only time I ever accompany my sims to work in the GTW careers is if they're single and there's no other family members for me to play, and even then I get bored of it pretty quickly. So I really hope rabbit hole schools stay an option.

Exactly. To quote myself from another thread:

I definitely will have to watch a few let's plays of this, it is as I feared a 110% American Experience (tm) thing.
    I experienced literally nothing at all like that in grades 10-12. We don't have proms, we don't have that type of graduation ceremonies (we just get drunk), we don't have school sports, we don't have...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Melisendre wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    My first thought while watching the trailer was "what kind of high schooler has a full on double bed?" lol I had a really small twin bed when I was in high school.

Me? Most of my friends did, too. Well, I will, say, the girls usually did, not so much the guys.
    Maybe this is also a very american thing. In my country teenager usually have single beds.
    My Sims teenager never have double beds and I hope there will be single beds in the pack too.

Yeah, nobody I knew had a double bed until after they moved out permanently, and most didn't get their first double wide bed until after getting a partner.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Melisendre, I think the double bed for teens in the trailer was a way to show off new beds. I live in New England area of USA and I never had a double bed as a child or teen. My children also had single beds. I think that mainly it depends on finances and preference of person buying it.
    Oh, one more thing someone else brought up and I also realized:
    Is it me, or are the premades in this trailer looking OLDER than the premades in the UNI pack? Seriously, at least three of the premades look older than their TEACHER and definitely look older than the black guy with the yellow hair in the trailer in UNI or the two girls on the debate team...
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Something I liked about proms in Sims 3 Generations was that your Sim would get pop-ups to ask or be asked by other teens, which you could accept or decline, so you were still given control over it. It could be a romantic interest, a friend or someone your Sim doesn't even know.

Sure the whole prom was a rabbit hole but I loved that particular feature cause it gave my Sims a chance to choose who THEY like rather than me choosing who they date. And the pop-ups during the prom would suggest if it works out between them or not.

So I really really hope we get something like that, but I'm afraid it would be too micro-manage-y and Sims won't ask or be asked by anyone unless the player chooses to.

@Omri147

ICONIC TEEN MOMENTS
    Dance the night away at prom and celebrate your graduation ceremony with family and friends (if you keep up with your schoolwork!). In addition to those big moments, Sims can make lifelong friends, be asked out by other teens, participate in after-school activities and teams, and experience the rollercoaster of puberty.

Not sure how detailed it'll actually be.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'm not sure I'm feeling really negative right now, as I was pretty excited about some things when I first watched the trailer. But there are definitely some areas that concern me.

Mostly - how is this going to work with rotations? All these new things they mention like graduation being based on how you spent your time and relationships being affected by things and the mysterious base game update with more "finding yourself" stuff sound like things that develop over time with some kind of progression. Are these going to fade away while you play other households like sentiments, or decay like normal relationships aren't supposed to but do? Are they going to advance on their own like university coursework? Is prom going to be a specific day on the calendar like a holiday and only the family you're playing at the time gets to experience it?
    I'm hopeful that the school calendar will be in some way customizable, given what they did with lunar cycles, so I'm less worried about that last one. But I'm a bit tired of paying for stuff that sounds neat but I'll never be able to experience it as it was intended because I rotate. Some recent packs have been better, but I'm not convinced that the problems won't happen again.

I am also concerned about how the game will control my sims from other households if they go to the same school.

I will be disappointed if we can't make high schools in multiple worlds, and choose which one sims attend if they don't live in a world with one. I suppose I could move my teens into an all-teen household and make Copperdale a boarding school, but that's a little too similar to university to be honest. I need to at least have regional schools so sims from Sulani aren't going to school with sims from Mt Komorebi. That school would need one heck of a bussing budget.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »

@Omri147

ICONIC TEEN MOMENTS
    Dance the night away at prom and celebrate your graduation ceremony with family and friends (if you keep up with your schoolwork!). In addition to those big moments, Sims can make lifelong friends, be asked out by other teens, participate in after-school activities and teams, and experience the rollercoaster of puberty.

Not sure how detailed it'll actually be.
    I hope it's gonna be at least kinda similar, I want my Sims to choose who they want to date without me having to pick for them, until we get an attraction system (if ever).
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I think you all might know what I'm going to post...

EA... Listen.

The-Sims-4-High-School-Years-Trailer-56.jpg

When you think of this scene, you've got football players, you've got cheerleaders. There's one large group that also rehearses on that field and attends football games just like these other two groups, but they're completely missing. Yes, I'm talking about band! EA... Come on. Band was such a big part of high school for me. I know it wasn't for everyone, obviously. But this is insulting. After 22 years of never having a playable woodwind or brass instrument, we still can't even get represented here. You make me very sad.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited June 2022
    Where is the football outfit and helmet ?
    EA spent all the money in the cheerleader uniforms :p

Cheerleaders without team to cheer ?
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I just want to know, like some others have said, how this would work for rotational players. I play three Sim days per household, with aging on only for that household, so that they all age at the same rate and grow up with their friends etc. That could be awesome for high school, if "graduating" doesn't signal the end of teen years, and if I get to select a large group of Sims from the neighborhood to graduate together. Same with prom, I would love to have a "class" graduate together and have prom right before they age up to young adult. But I really have a feeling it's not going to work that way. And, spending an entire Sim day at school with my teen Sim is going to be just another thing to split my time on per household. It's already tough to juggle the chidren's aspirations, developing toddler skills, playing teen parties, and the parents/adults continuing to follow their dreams too.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited June 2022
    Oh, one more thing someone else brought up and I also realized:
    Is it me, or are the premades in this trailer looking OLDER than the premades in the UNI pack? Seriously, at least three of the premades look older than their TEACHER and definitely look older than the black guy with the yellow hair in the trailer in UNI or the two girls on the debate team...
    It's not only you. Usually sims teenagers look younger. I don't understand why they used these sims for the trailer.

edited June 2022
    oh another good point
    I don't tend to age my sims in reasonable ways and play with multiple households so my sims would just keep going to school with randomized townies i keep pretending do not exist even when they overrun all and everything just like with uni and i already hate it with uni

randomized townies off toggle when? hmn?
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    As others have said it’s so stereotypical USA high school those of us outside of the USA hear about. Nothing in this pack interests me and I find the cas boring and nothing new. The bb items seem so average too. This for me is a miss or at the most but it in a 50% sale.
    edited June 2022
    oh i forgot pillow fights from list of things i liked and can't fake or replace in any way so i guess its pillow fights and sitting for 40e :lol:
  • sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    Few things that i like that are missing and should not considering the theme of the pack :
    1/ A new lot (arcade) should be introduced but it looks like it is not. Arcade is THE place for young people, especially teens !
    2/ More games and after school activities. I was expecting something like Dungeon and dragons, cards games, fan fictions writing, bands, art club but none of these things will take place. Why ? It feels like a huge part of the teenagers were left out right there. Not everyone care about being popular or hot. But it’s the only options that are yet again pushed to the front
    3/ Why is the carnival a rabbit hole ? what’s the point of going there ? have an ice cream and play pretend that my sim is having fun since i can’t actually watch the animations play out ?
    4/ Looks like the teacher career won’t get an upgrade which mean your teen sims will meet their teachers in active school, but as a teacher you can’t play actively ? it does not make sense… we could have needed that upgraded career.
    5/ No sleeping bags ? why ??
    6/ Teens look too old in this trailer. I know it’s inspired from riverdale but we need a base game update on this life stage to have it proper looking teenagers
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    They still probably won't learn the Metric system. This AM/PM needs to get a toggle to 24H clock too!
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    I just want to know, like some others have said, how this would work for rotational players. I play three Sim days per household, with aging on only for that household, so that they all age at the same rate and grow up with their friends etc. That could be awesome for high school, if "graduating" doesn't signal the end of teen years, and if I get to select a large group of Sims from the neighborhood to graduate together. Same with prom, I would love to have a "class" graduate together and have prom right before they age up to young adult. But I really have a feeling it's not going to work that way. And, spending an entire Sim day at school with my teen Sim is going to be just another thing to split my time on per household. It's already tough to juggle the chidren's aspirations, developing toddler skills, playing teen parties, and the parents/adults continuing to follow their dreams too.

Jeez. I didn't even think about that. This game is already SUPER unfriendly to rotational players (still mad I had a sim graduate from university while I wasn't playing as them). Just thinking about all the ways this pack could make that worse is nerve wracking XD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top