Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you include basements and garages when building starter homes (U20K lot & house)

Do you have some examples to share? (spoiler please) Do you think it adds realism? Do you use the space for skill building and hobbies?

Do you include basements and garages when building starter homes (U20K lot & house) 42 votes

I include basements in my starters.
11%
RepoSelinaKylesGlacierSnowcody6268Benjamilian 5 votes
I include garages in my starters.
0%
I include both basements and garages in my starters.
4%
goodcakebaker62Lady_Ballora 2 votes
I do not include basements or garages in my starters.
83%
auroraael14Erja888NighteyesSikoahGraceelanorbretonxdawnxsimgirl1010SimplyJenSati101DragonAge_300905FinvolablueyblueskySweetieWright_84ThisSentenceIsALieEvaliynKarababy52EnkiSchmidtSheriSim57MDianaSimsmusteni 35 votes

Comments

• JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Here are a couple examples I posted to my gallery.
    gcxu28o.jpg
    quIiCqD.jpg
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    I do not include garages in any house in TS4, because we have no cars!
    Basements are rarely added to a Sims home. They are mostly storage units, private gyms or party basements (bar, dancefloor, stereo), if I decide to add them.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited June 2022
    Option 5: I do not build starter houses :lol:

Either my sims are living on empty lot, camping, living in apartment or they are settled in midrange houses
    or living that rich fam life cause its too dang easy to get rich if you try

like i literally have families that make 100k on spot when the bills day hits so :sweat_smile:
    I just don't really see point in building cheap I can always make them money to build something that lasts them lifetime instead

as for garages tho yeah i do sometimes add them to the suburban houses (which are usually midrange)
    but not really my other houses and they're usually there for additional skill building items or party/club hangouts

and I used to build lots of basements as extension to my houses
    but I've been trying to avoid doing so lately cause not everywhere should have basement level
    or at least make it bit more realistic in that ''I can only expand under house not under whole lot'' way
    well unless its ancient tunnel system or whatever :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    I'm with @Simmingal, I don't do starter homes. Starter apartments, I do build those but, well, you know.😁 Most of my builds are slightly higher than starter budget but not up to luxury budget levels. Usually my lots are in the 40-80K price range, with higher and lower exceptions. I can make them look very luxurious by carefully sifting through my cc to find the really nice pieces that the creators assigned super low prices to.

I don't really do a lot of basements in my builds unless the build is aimed at an occult, werewolves and vampires in particular. For werewolves the basement is their den/rumpus room and where they have their tunnel to get them to Moonwood. For vampires it's usually a bedroom/crypt and living quarters for their meals...umm, their maids and butlers. Garages are something I never include and I would remodel into another room if they were in a build I downloaded. I would if we had functional cars. I never include deco cars in my builds either.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    I never make garages for any of my houses. But I use basements a lot, for both starters and others.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I put basements in any house where it makes sense to do so. Most (furnished) starters I have done recently have been tiny houses, the latest has a basement because it would have made sense for at house of that age to have a cellar. It should properly have a hatch leading to the basement but we don't have that in game, so it just has a ladder going down. It is also a tiny house in Moonwood Mills. I am not a fan of garages on most sim houses because we don't have cars. I only have 3 houses built with a garage and one with a storage shed. Each of these is a place where I have lived or where family has lived. I will use a basement in any build for extra space (skills, playroom, future expansion etc) if makes sense and if I think I may need more space later (Oh no, triplets!), and intend to stay a long time. My name on the gallery is Evilfeline if you are curious. (I don't have time now to post pics)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Sometimes, I make basements for starters.
    I don't make garages at all because it would just be another reminder that we don't have cars, nor decent garage doors.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I've never added a carage or basement in a starter build. I feel there's much better use for the money in a starter home + I don't like garages because we don't have cars. Basement I would consider. Just how I feel when building :)
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Basements are necessary to make more use out of small lots, but garages are just a waste of space since we don't have cars in the game yet, and you have to rely on the debug options to even have a car that will fit.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I never make garages, but I sometimes (not always) include partial basements in "starter" homes. Never full ones unless the whole project is built for story purposes, in which case the cost of the house isn't a factor at all. In normal circumstances if the household that moves into a house wants more room, they can either do their own remodeling for expansion or move to a bigger house whenever they can afford either.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited June 2022
    No, I haven’t included either in a starter. I don’t make very many of my own homes anyway. I did make 2 or 3 middle income homes with garages, mostly because the homes I made were actual homes. I download most of my homes, but I do like having homes with garages, they look more real. The problem is too many lots are long and thin, where it is hard to incorporate a garage.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I'm not a builder, but I am an obsessed downloader of other people's amazing lots!

I like the look of lots with garages if I'm trying to create a neighborhood with a suburban feel to it, but it only looks like a garage from a curb appeal point of view ......... inside it is always turned into additional living space.

I never, ever use basements. If there's a basement in the house I D/L, I remove everything from it along with the doors and the stairs. I don't put a lot of skill building items in my houses (unless it fits my story, like an easel for a painter) so it forces my sim to actually leave their lot, otherwise they all become hermits.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    My idea of a starter home is a square with the best bed, second best stove, second best fridge, good toilet, very good shower, a planter pot and a trashcan. Later, when the sims are better off, they can afford to downgrade to lower quality furniture (because some of the low quality furniture looks better or fits the sim's style better) and deco rooms.
  • LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    In agreement with some of the other posts, I don't include garages on starter builds because there are no cars. But there is also a cost element to it, too. If I'm building a true starter house, staying under that 20,000 limit, then I'm evaluating everything I put into the house. Stairs to the basement cost money. Doors/windows on the garage cost money. I'd rather spend that money on things that would satisfy the Sim's basic needs or splurge on something that builds skills for the Sim.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    would like to see more garage door choices,
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I've made one basement (and that was not a starter home), but that's it. I'm not very good at building, so I leave well enough alone lol
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I don't usually include either with a starter and I never make a garage because there is no use for it.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited June 2022
    I rarely build houses, most of my houses are from gallery and updated for my needs. Some have basements, some not. None have garages, because I have no need for any. What would I park there, my spellcaster's broom?
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    We could totally park brooms bicycles and canoes in the garage lol!
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Sometimes I do include a basement, usually I don't. Depends...
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I generally prefer to spend money on a few skill items than additional space when it isn't needed.
    Whenever I build a (non starter) home from a blueprint that has a garage, I either leave it out or turn it into a hobby room. Sims park their vehicles in their inventory anyway, so I'd better use the space for something else.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I don't build, but usually a basement is a handy thing to add when a starter home I downloaded is getting too small and I don't want to mess up the exterior.
    I never bother with garages because there are not any cars, but I've downloaded some houses from the gallery with well done garages used as storage spaces and for bikes. They are not usually starter homes though.
  • zucchinionpizzazucchinionpizza Posts: 98 Member
    I think a good starter provides a sim with everything they need to start a life in a new neighbourhood and not much more. They definitely don't need a garage. I might include a basement in the future.
    Check out my gallery (ID : zucchinionpizza) for base game builds β™₯

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I rarely add basements to my builds in general. It's a challenge for me to have a lot under 20k as it is.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel