Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Prefer Your Werewolf To Look Like This?

2...Next

Comments

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2022
    No
    I voted no. It’s a major improvement and well done to who made the graphics! 🎉

For me though the head is still too small and cat like. They need to look more wolffish and scary!
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Other
    The short answer is NO, absolutely not. And by that I mean NOT in the current design. To me the above image looks off.

For a tail and those feet to look decent from an animation standpoint, the entire body needs to be adjusted. For his original werewolf mod Spinning Plumbobs uses a Skyrim Werewolf model which has a more savage and beast like-appearance, and although it is not super maxis match friendly, it works good for what it is. But that’s “ALL” it is, an animated werewolf model that you can’t customize.

The Sims 4 model looks the way it does so that we can customize the sim in CAS and give them clothes. And as others mentioned, with the current design clipping does not occur whenever werewolves move and interact with other sims. Also, if they had those wolf feet they’d need to move completely different, a werewolf’s entire body would have to lean forward like it does when the fury levels are high. And the tail needs to ACT like a tail and be animated for each interaction…welcome to hell [from an animator’s pov.]

The Sims Team had to make a decision based on available budget: do we go full beast, give up in-depth customization and have extremely limited interactions, or will we meet in the middle and make this more accessible to all players? I’m glad they decided on the latter.

I think those who can afford mods and cc and don’t care about clipping or static tails or clothing texture conflicts should totally go for it.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2022
    No
    The short answer is NO, absolutely not. And by that I mean NOT in the current design. To me the above image looks off.

For a tail and those feet to look decent from an animation standpoint, the entire body needs to be adjusted. For his original werewolf mod Spinning Plumbobs uses a Skyrim Werewolf model which has a more savage and beast like-appearance, and although it is not super maxis match friendly, it works good for what it is. But that’s “ALL” it is, an animated werewolf model that you can’t customize.

The Sims 4 model looks the way it does so that we can customize the sim in CAS and give them clothes. And as others mentioned, with the current design clipping does not occur whenever werewolves move and interact with other sims. Also, if they had those wolf feet they’d need to move completely different, a werewolf’s entire body would have to lean forward like it does when the fury levels are high. And the tail needs to ACT like a tail and be animated for each interaction…welcome to hell [from an animator’s pov.]

The Sims Team had to make a decision based on available budget: do we go full beast, give up in-depth customization and have extremely limited interactions, or will we meet in the middle and make this more accessible to all players? I’m glad they decided on the latter.

I think those who can afford mods and cc and don’t care about clipping or static tails or clothing texture conflicts should totally go for it.

What about if the player could decide? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

The more beastly you make your werewolf the less interactions are available.

No clipping, the object is unavailable. To me it would be more of a challenge. I could just see me trying to get a werewolf to ride a bike! 😂 Only for it to stamp it’s feet and howl. Maybe that could increase their fury.
    No sitting so they remain uncomfortable until they change back. I don’t mind myself if they had more restricted clothing choices. It would add to the disheveled look. Perhaps Sims could patch clothes up? But I imagine that’s too much animation. 🤔

There would be a choice to make cute large cats whilst those who want more scary wolves had that option.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • WolfnightsingerWolfnightsinger Posts: 22 Member
    Other
    Indifferent, honestly.

While I like wolfy-looking werewolves with digitigrade legs and tails, I've really come to appreciate what the Sims 4 werewolves look like. They really look great in the game and they fit.
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    “But Granny dear, what big feet you have!” ;)

There’s something about the size of the feet that makes them appear disproportionate to the rest of the body. Also by turning the feet into paws they don’t quite match with the hands. The way that Maxis created them, the style of the hands and feet match. Maybe the hands need to be a bit more sinewy looking or something in order to match the paws better, but that is just a minor detail. As for the tail it does give off a slight horse’s tail vibe. Maybe it’s the way it curves at the top or maybe it’s the position. The position of the stub Maxis added is also slightly off.

But nitpicking aside, it’s still a very nice attempt at giving players options for creating an even more wolf-like werewolf, provided they can and want to use cc. Not sure Maxis could have done it much differently from what they did with the look they were going for :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Other
    I wouldn't mind the tail to be longer instead of a tiny stub.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Other
    Tail is fine but when compared to the modded legs from the Furry mod those current legs are a pass for me.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2022
    Other
    Simmingal wrote: »
    the feet look disproportionate and the tail is too arched tbh its giving me my little pony

I'm fine with how they are in game like i was gonna give them pants most of the time anyway and the lack of tail really only bothers me when they run on all fours

but to me its more about the lack of fur on bottom really like i feel thats what bothers me like they just look kinda bare on bottom as opposed to top half cause of it and adding pants helps a lot for me

Yeah, I think it's the very human looking bottom half and the lack of fur on it which is giving me these little uncanny valley vibes. It kinda reminds me of those abominations from the Cats 2019 movie although nowhere near as bad. Plus, like you said, you can give these werewolves pants which really helps with the overall effect.

When it comes to the question asked in this thread: I'd say not really. While my preferred werewolf aesthetics are something resembling Skyrim's werewolves, I don't think it'd work particularly well in this game. There would be a lot of clipping and animation issues, the clothing wouldn't really work (maybe it could have been neat to be able to choose between more beastly or hybrid design, however that'd require a lot of work from the devs). That particular picture looks a tad bit off to me, I don't like how big the feet are. They kinda give this... cartoon rabbit type of look lol. I do would like an option to have a tail though. Regardless of clipping.

While I'm not completely sold on the design of the werewolves in this pack I do think it fits into this world. Plus I feel like it's growing on me.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    Yes
    Tail is optional (altho I do prefer it) but I prefer the feet to be a smidge smaller but overall yes. That being said, Im fine with what we got ingame.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited June 2022
    No
    The legs and tail both look a little off to me. While it's nice to see players stretch their creativity, I'm much happier with the design we got.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes
    Besides the feet being a little too large it looks so much better its lost a lot of its furry look which is great the hands need to be fixed as well just looks like human hands painted white not werewolf like at all.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    Other
    Feet YES. Tail NO. lol.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I do find it a bit funny that people are saying that they need to add tails, digitigrade legs, paws, etc to make them look less "furry" as if furry art or fursonas doesn't also have them. Anything that resembled an animal would like a furry, because that is what they mainly are, anthropomorphic animals.

One thing we've got to remember is that what is acceptable for Cc is not always acceptable for official content. Occasional and unintentional clipping is one thing, but when it's every time they sit on a dining chair, it's another thing entirely.

One thing about the Sims 4, one of the things they talked about was how they wanted all cas assets to work with each other without any noticeable clipping (as opposed to the Sims 3 where certain shoes could only be used with certain pants without clipping, and how some pants where clearly designed to be used with high boots), which has dictated the design of some assets if they couldn't be made without clipping with other assets, I suspect this is why the bloused pants come with boots in StrangerVille, and no long veils came without being part of a full body outfit in My Weddings Stories.

They obviously wanted the bodies to work with existing pants, facial expressions, skeleton, objects and animations, to make it work and be acceptable would require more game development time for what would essentially be a mostly cosmetic result, as otherwise, a LOT of content would be restricted from werewolves, and we would have had as much customisation of werewolf lower bodies as we did with mermaid tails (which was what, 5 choices?)

The tails are another issue. They would of course, clip through chairs every time the sit down, among other animations, but another issue would be is how apparent the staticness would be, this is already an issue with long flowy hair and long flowy dresses that are static and cling to the body.

Obviously this is a design restriction that is core to all of their art design, and is a restriction CC creators don't have to abide by. That is where your choice is.

It's also strange that some people expected them to turn into full wolves, which would most likely restrict werewolves to Werewolves gamepack content (and at best, MAYBE Cats and Dogs content), which would restrict you from a LOT of content for something that by game design should be the primary focus of the pack and what your Sims will spend a lot of time doing. Especially if they have human responsibilities like childcare. It would turn the core part of the pack into essentially a minor thing.

It sort of reminds me of a simmer who spent years asking for French Renaissance(?) Marie Antoinette-esque content in the Sims 3 Store, then ranted furiously when they added them and the dresses weren't huge unwieldable things that would have clipped through literally everything and was instead scaled closer to the size of the Sims wearing them.

It's obvious people have a lot of conflicting ideas of what werewolves should look like, given that we have had a lot of different portrayals in folklore and pop culture (and given, you know, they are not real), but I feel the form they went with is the best of most worlds, that allows high customisability (fur patterns, clothing, etc) while giving a look that is consistent to the occult (IE, werewolves not looking like they belong to different species, with some having tails, some having different legs etc) as well as being consistent to the art style of the Sims 4.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    No
    I think they look great, the way the devs intended. I can't imagine the giant headache that including a tail and legs/feet would present. There is enough clipping in my game anyway, why would I want more?
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    No
    I don’t care about the feet but hate the way that tail looks.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    No
    I prefer harmless looking monsters, since they are so much scarier. They lure you in like the cowplant and then...
  • notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Other
    I like the more monstrous feet. But not every werewolf needs a tail.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Other
    I thought I'd say no, but after looking at it for a while I actually like the feet more. I think the tail is no though.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Yes
    Encountered a CC one on pintrest that is actually scary, very much like how a werewolf should look. TS4 version is too cute and wimpy.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited June 2022
    Yes
    I can live without the tail but the EA feet/legs are absolutely killing the look for me. I can live with what the devs gave us though but would definitely have preferred the feet to look something like this. It’s not like they are able to wear shoes anyway so I think they could’ve done something similar and slightly smaller.

But they didn’t.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2022
    Other
    I could go with a tail or no tail, it looks good as is with the snout, it would work good with just a little longer snout as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    Other
    I like the legs, with a bit smaller paws, but they're not a must have. Once upon a time I was on Team Tails. After having seen them in game now without, I have come around to Team No Tails. Tails aren't the be all end all I thought they were.