Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming EP: High School

Comments

• graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited June 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    I don't get the appeal, do people actually want to play with active schools all the time? I would think it'd be something that gets used a couple times before everyone just ends up clicking the "send to school without joining" option and then it'll never get used again

It's still nice to have the option, you have the option to be with your sims at school or just let them go and not following..

also it's adds huge realism to the game It's not about starring at your sims in lecture it's about actually engaging in activities and realism..

Ask the teacher questions, take notes, sleep in the class, it's up to you.

If you think your sim disappearing into no where and just getting notifications of what's happening is better than actually being there with your sim and experience what's happening then idk what to say..

I'm just gonna say I'm still glad I have TS3.
    Post edited by graventhe on
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2022
    I totally missed this hype, just found this thread. Hm... I don't really believe there will be a high school EP. Would it not be too similar to UNI? Who wants top buy the same EP twice? What we might need is more hobbies, and if HS was integrated, then fine. I also like having a split teenhood, it lasts way too long. But my biggest concern age wise is that sims get old enough to marry at 29!!! That is quite late - so, just adding pre-teen would make little sense in my book.

Well, now that I know there is a thread, I'll stop by regularly :)

This is my same thought and I feel like there would be more hints on Twitter like there was with werewolves. There were gurus on Twitter today and nothing, not a sausage. I feel really skeptical about the validity of this leak. Time will tell of course. But it will likely feel like a “reskinning” of Discover University if it happens.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    It's a shame my sim self's kids will never experience this expansion pack as they're all adults married with their own kids who are YA's now. I guess I better start working on generation three!

That's why I am still playing the same sims since 2014.
    I turned aging off and refused to let my YAs pair up because the game did not have Toddlers, family game play, and University.
    Now that we have toddlers, Parenthood, and Discover University I have started playing my game as normal. Only I made everyone toddlers and gave them parents so I could get straight to the new game play.

If we get a pack that focuses more on teens, I will just have to let the next generation have it.

Side-note, I think a school pack is fine if it focuses on the teen age stage and social experiences.
    Discover University is extremely academics focused with little college life game play. This way the two will not cover the same ground.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's a shame my sim self's kids will never experience this expansion pack as they're all adults married with their own kids who are YA's now. I guess I better start working on generation three!

That's why I am still playing the same sims since 2014.
    I turned aging off and refused to let my YAs pair up because the game did not have Toddlers, family game play, and University.
    Now that we have toddlers, Parenthood, and Discover University I have started playing my game as normal. Only I made everyone toddlers and gave them parents so I could get straight to the new game play.

If we get a pack that focuses more on teens, I will just have to let the next generation have it.

Side-note, I think a school pack is fine if it focuses on the teen age stage and social experiences.
    Discover University is extremely academics focused with little college life game play. This way the two will not cover the same ground.

That was a very good observation! Yes, I agree.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I do think there is a EP of this coming. Not sure if it's strictly high-school as I feel that toddlers and child sims should also be included in a school expansion pack.

Now I'm just wondering when we get any info about it.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited June 2022
    High School will be fun only if rebel and daredevil behaviors are allowed.

Teens aren't always peaceful obedient sheep, they also have serious issues with the rules.
  • Andrea48Andrea48 Posts: 16 Member
    I hope they add in some new traits or aspirations cause they didnt give us any new traits or whims for the werewolf pack and I paid 30 bucks for that pack😳 Played it twice and Im already going "Meh" these creators are never gonns get it together
  • TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    The sims community has zero credibility I don't believe that this is the next EP. If so I hope we get a world though
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Trimoth wrote: »
    The sims community has zero credibility I don't believe that this is the next EP. If so I hope we get a world though

Actually the sims community knew firefighters were coming and hinted to everyone with a fire extinguisher. Also island living.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    it would not be on cd keys if was not real
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

Sure maybe Discover University is more academic focussed than The Sims 2 version, but that is more due to the lack of content outside university coursework, as well as the pack as a whole. In contrast the Sims 2 version was a veritable send up of every college movie trope from the 80s to the 00s.

In the Sims 2 version, the academic side is just have the required skills, and have enough grade, which can be mostly completed by writing your term paper. The main difference in the Sims 4 version is that you can do 4 classes at once instead of one, and you have to study more to get your grade up, and you have a mandatory piece of coursework. It is not difficult to do, and is still far from academic, you do not attend the classes yourself, you do not do group projects, you do not write a dissertation worth a quarter of your degree that requires many hours of research for it, rarely, if ever do you have to pull an all nighter in the library. If The Sims 2 feels like it was 10:90 academic vs social content, The Sims 4 is 20:30 with 50% less content overall. To me, Discover University is one of the more disappointing packs. Sure it's more academic content, but it's also less content.

The focus of all three university packs was the stuff you did outside of the lecture halls, as that is what a real life university experience is like. You have very little contact hours (if I recall, my undergrad was less than 12 hours a week spread across 4 modules), as you are expected to do more self guided study, your own reading, research and project work outside those hours. The fundamental thing is that you are at university even when you are not in the university: you (more often then not) have moved across the country to a new city, living with people you have never met before and without your family for the first time in your life. It shapes your whole life and identity, and warps it in a bubble around the university, everyone you meet or interact with attends, works at, or somehow relates to the university, you are in a neighbourhood where every house, business and organisation is defined and shaped by it's relationship with the university. There is a reason the town/gown debate is a huge debate in modern academia.

A school is much more structured with much less autonomy. You have what, 30 contact hours a week? With some homework after school. You do less self guided study, and it is more instructional, you are not expected to do as much (if any) outside research or study.

It is rather telling that most of the people who want this pack want everything about high school expect the actual high school itself. Outside of university, you are still at university, but outside high school, you are not at high school, at least nowhere in the same capacity. If it was going to focus more on the teen and social activities, why would they name the pack after something that is not going to be the central core focus? Outside of school, you are at home with family, or hanging out with friends at a place unrelated to your school. So to be related to high school, it has to be at the school, and what is the point of adding the school if you don't do what the core point of a school is. The prom that you want is going to be no different than a party at a lounge with 12 sims, a new buffet table and paper decorations, your (non-rabbithole) team sports is not going to happen due to the cap on the max number of sims - same with your graduation ceremony, and the lack of coordination of large groups of sims in this game, and all your social activities like tabletop gaming, skateboarding etc could be just as easily (or even better) served in locations that aren't a high school, allowing other age groups to participate, like comic book stores and skate parks respectively without dedicating resources to a timesuck that will have limited interactivity and huge dependence on other sims. What would the gameplay benefit be? A pretty place to take pictures at for your storytelling? Because at that point, the expansion wouldn't be Discover University 2, or even Get to Work 2, it would be My Wedding Stories 2 - a hollow pack full of shallow, non impactful gameplay, with a huge headache of NPC wrangling, all to get some pretty pictures.

It's more than likely going to be a school focused pack (because it is allegedly High School, not Teen Life), which in order to resemble high school in any form, will involve a sim telling you what to do rather than the other way round. One of the interviews with the developers after the Sims 2 University announced, they were asked if they would ever do a high school pack, and the developer bluntly said, "no, that would be boring".

Unfortunately, High School is one of those expansions that seem like a fun idea, but when you think about what it would actually contain, would quickly lose it's fun and luster. Like Lisa Simpson's lemon tree.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    The only way I'd be interested in a High School EP is if schools are entirely customizable, or if they're a rabbit hole and the majority of the pack is focused on teenage activities.

If high schools are like the Get to Work Careers where there's only one school and you have to do the same activities everyday, I may skip this pack.

Unless it has good B&B/CAS, then I'll buy it on sale.
  • Garfieldwxg55Garfieldwxg55 Posts: 76 Member
    Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been answered, but I was wondering, if this rumor is true, does anyone know when this pack might release? Thanks :)
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I'm afraid nobody knows. This is a passionate community, but one that's quite easily led by rumours and speculation (so there's often big disappointment when a new pack isn't what's rumoured, speculated or wanted).

We'll see.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm not sure if I'm missing something but how d'you all think active schools would work in sims 4 exactly with the different worlds? Would there be a school for each world? If so would you be able to create it and place it? Or would they be random off world lots like get to work? Would they then have one for every world? My sims from different worlds shouldn't be at the same school, just my opinion as it makes zero sense to me, so I'm wondering how it would work. I didn't play sims 3 but it looks like each world had a school which would make sense but idk how that would work with the lack of lots in sims 4.

What d'you all think would work best/what are your predictions?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I'm not sure if I'm missing something but how d'you all think active schools would work in sims 4 exactly with the different worlds? Would there be a school for each world? If so would you be able to create it and place it? Or would they be random off world lots like get to work? Would they then have one for every world? My sims from different worlds shouldn't be at the same school, just my opinion as it makes zero sense to me, so I'm wondering how it would work. I didn't play sims 3 but it looks like each world had a school which would make sense but idk how that would work with the lack of lots in sims 4.

What d'you all think would work best/what are your predictions?

I would like a school that works similar to the Arts Academy lot type, but instead of the arts and crafts equipment you will need to add one or two arts and crafts or music equipment, something for sports, some desks for regular class studying, maybe a library and a science lab, a cafeteria like in university and make the lot to have a standard uniform for students, principal, cafeteria clerk, janitor, etc, like they do in restaurants. Teachers could probably show up in whatever, except maybe the sports teacher. They could add school events that you add and edit yourself, like prom, graduation, commencement, science fair, sports day, basketball team tryouts, cheerleading team, etc.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Hi, I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been answered, but I was wondering, if this rumor is true, does anyone know when this pack might release? Thanks :)

It’s just a rumor and speculation at the moment.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I hope all the houses built in this new high school world are 3 to 5+ bedrooms because a lot of these worlds aren't for big families.

what if its just a rabbithole activity?

That I would hate! I stopped playing sims 3 early because there were so many rabbit holes.
    edited June 2022
    @Benjamilian

I heard a YouTuber say the end of July….. but we still don’t know if it’s real, and if it is , High School might just be the place holder name.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    it should be the end of july 26th or 28th. Cd keys would not let you pre order something they know is not confirmed.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Trimoth wrote: »

Actually the sims community knew firefighters were coming and hinted to everyone with a fire extinguisher. Also island living.

They were indeed but it feels like their jumping on this too soon. The list of packs listed eco lifestyle pack incorrectly.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I hope all the houses built in this new high school world are 3 to 5+ bedrooms because a lot of these worlds aren't for big families.

That I would hate! I stopped playing sims 3 early because there were so many rabbit holes.

There aren‘t more rabbit holes in Sims 3 than in Sims 2 or Sims 4.
    In Sims 2 and Sims 4 Sims just disappear into a rabbit hole when going to work or school. In Sims 3 you actually see Sims driving to the workplace or school and enter the building.
    a256aFi.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited June 2022

TS4 Discover University isn't TS3 University Life, Maxis prefer to use shortcuts with The Sims 4.
    So High School will certainly be new rabbitholes.

Like the TV show, the lesson time is skipped in order to stay focused on the story.

Honestly it would be boring and repetitive like the Doctor active career.
    And your sim and 3 NPC in a classroom, it's not really realistic.

10 NPC wandering in an empty high school isn't really the gameplay that I want.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    edited June 2022
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

There aren‘t more rabbit holes in Sims 3 than in Sims 2 or Sims 4.
    In Sims 2 and Sims 4 Sims just disappear into a rabbit hole when going to work or school. In Sims 3 you actually see Sims driving to the workplace or school and enter the building.

When it first came out there were also rabbit holes to restaurants too. And those work buildings were such a tease, I wanted to go into them! It was not as fun as sims 2 for me, after I saw the rabbit hole restaurant, and experienced a couple of crashes with my new gaming laptop at the time, I gave up on sims 3, it was not a very stable game for me. Sims 4 has been extremely stable, has had few rabbit holes other than school and work, and unfortunately scouts and Drama club, those 2 were a disappointment, and downloading people and houses was not as easy as sims 4. I love the sims 4 gallery, I just don’t like how small the worlds are and that we don’t have a color wheel for furniture and clothing. I can do without an open world, but I would really love to have the color wheel back for clothes, hair, and furniture, and eyes would be nice too.

Sims 2 was still my favorite.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I am going to bet on this being real. The translation update and that bed description feel like major clues. I just hope the gameplay will feel more appealing than the one university had since i still cannot bring myself to try that one, it seems a little boring and grindy.