Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just switched to sim on PC. Had a couple questions

shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
Not sure if this is the right spot. But I've been playing Sims 4 on console since it released. Decided to give it a try on PC. So much better. But I did have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know when the next sale might be on packs? Or know the best place to look for upcoming sales? I've already bought all the packs on PS4/PS5. The game is so bare without them. But I'm not spending hundreds of dollars just to buy the same packs all over again. If you buy them on one console, you should get them on all consoles imo.

2. Is there a mod that allows the world around you to go about its life? I know they added stories which is a nice touch. But I want non controlled townies to completely control themselves. So things like meeting new people, dating, getting married, splitting up etc.

3. Is there a way to connect the PS5 or Xbox controller to the Macbook and play using a controller. I just can't get use to the keyboard, nor have the best setup for it.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    1. It depends on where you brought the base game. You have to have Origin to run it, but you have to wait for Origin sales if you bought it there or Steam sales if you bought it on that launcher. They technically have it set up one side can mix, but I am Origin-Origin so I wouldn't risk it without knowing for sure.

Steam has it's big Summer sale coming up. Sims aren't guaranteed to be on sale, but I doubt it won't be for 4 at least. Origin is less predictable, but Sims seems to be on sale decently often. (Kind of surprising since their sales on everything else are kind of awful.) Physical copies for me tend to be cheaper than digital, but this all depends on your location since there is usually no rhyme or reason over which packs they stock. However, it is a reliable $30 for EPs every time I see one. You can also browse Amazon for codes, but I rarely see big sales on them.

2. I am not a big mod player, but I'd say you are looking for MCCC. There are all sorts of autonomy ones. Post more specifically in the mods forums for more detailed suggestions.

3. I have to extrapolate for this one. Normally, yes. Especially an xbox controller usually is easy to connect to a PC. However, a) Mac is known for not playing nice with nonproprietary equipment and b) I still don't know where you bought it; Steam has a lot of nice extra infrastructure for mods and controllers that Origin just doesn't. I am going to theoretically say yes because I would consider it ridiculous otherwise, but it would not shock me either if there is an issue.
  • shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks. I bought it through Origin. I didn't realize there was a difference.

I'll have to head over there and check out the forums. It's been a long time since I played on PC or used mods.

I know you can hook up a Xbox controller to PC. But I'm very unfamiliar with Mac. I only ever used it for video editing and photo retouching.
    edited June 2022
    Same game, but different marketplace basically. They still require you to have Origin no matter what, which is annoying, but you want to make sure you get your DLC and base game on the same launcher so they will recognize each other.

To be fair, it is probably a matter of moving files otherwise and one mix is supposed to work, I just don't remember each one. Sticking with your regular launcher is just easier.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Mac as well. My relatives are Apple converts, so I have touched them, but I have no idea if the one they had was underpowered or just didn't like games. I've never tried to hook a controller to it and I have no idea if there are a lot of Mac programs to download for it otherwise. Considering how fickle (an understatement, I know) over the right to repair they are, I seriously doubt there is a lot of leniency in the software. I'd YouTube a tutorial honestly. There has to be something and if there genuinely isn't, question answered.
  • shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    Yeah if there is a chance of things not working right, I'll just wait and buy the packs through Origin. Hopefully they do a sale soon though. Playing just base game is blah. And I've already spent what a grand on the console packs! But in real life I'm a fashion/glamour photographer. And the PC sims is way better for that than consoles. So its much much more enjoyable.

I've always been PC for everything. But Mac for editing. I have the 2020 macbook pro with the M1 chip. I can run the sims at max everything and there is not a single lag spike or hiccup. My laptop (which is a beast in its own right) isn't close.
  • Garfieldwxg55Garfieldwxg55 Posts: 76 Member
    Yeah, for anything CPU based, M1 chip is fantastic
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I play with a computer mouse but wish we could play with a controller in first person mode on pc.
    edited June 2022
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I play with a computer mouse but wish we could play with a controller in first person mode on pc.

Can't you? It isn't the old console version's individual third person, but they did patch in a first person mode a long while back.

Or is it the controller you're having issues rigging up?
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

Can't you? It isn't the old console version's individual third person, but they did patch in a first person mode a long while back.

I mean when I play in first person on the pc, I'd like to use a Xbox controller to make it easier to navigate around the environment. I don't think that's possible yet. You have to use the mouse or keyboard to move. I usually let them do things autonomously when I'm in first person mode.

Calico45 wrote: »

I mean when I play in first person on the pc, I'd like to use a Xbox controller to make it easier to navigate around the environment. I don't think that's possible yet. You have to use the mouse or keyboard to move. I usually let them do things autonomously when I'm in first person mode.

I meant that since PC obviously has first person. I'm going to look into that now. It is marked as playable for the Steam deck, so it is bound to have some sort of nonstandard control compatibility. Since I don't have it on Steam I hadn't seen if it was marked controller compatible or not.