Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

older generations unite!

Comments

• thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited June 2022
    Awesome thread!
  • wrathykinswrathykins Posts: 23 Member
    Early 30's and playing since the sims 1 came out :) I imagine i'll still be playing when i'm 60!!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Am really enjoying this thread! Reading the posts brings back lots of memories: the games, the machines we played them on, life in general. I first found the Sims while it was still in development in the course of researching an economics paper. How EA came to be the subject is a long and sad story but the game concept was revolutionary, intrigued me, so I kept following it. Pounced on it as soon as it was released and have been simming ever since.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Am really enjoying this thread! Reading the posts brings back lots of memories: the games, the machines we played them on, life in general. I first found the Sims while it was still in development in the course of researching an economics paper. How EA came to be the subject is a long and sad story but the game concept was revolutionary, intrigued me, so I kept following it. Pounced on it as soon as it was released and have been simming ever since.

The Sims has some history in higher education! TS1's game engine was lent to several universities so that computer science students could practice programming new game objects. Here is a fascinating instruction guide by Will Wright:

https://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/papers/files/programming_objects_in_the_sims.pdf
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I'm approaching 44 and I've been playing since Sims 1 and I have loved every version since. Each has its positives and negatives. I'm probably a bit of an oddball among OG simmers though, because 4 is my favorite.

I'm definitely from a family of gamers. At one point, we had every game made for the Atari. My dad would even pick up copies of games while on business trips overseas. (If only we would have known what that collection would be worth someday and hadn't sold it to make room for the next generations of consoles.) I also remember my mom and dad occasionally getting so into a game that they'd call in "sick" to keep playing... and that usually meant we also had a sick day from school and would get to play too.

I was the first in my family to buy a computer. It's crazy to think how big of a deal it was for me, especially when I see my son unable to comprehend a life without them. The Sims was actually the very first game I ever played on that computer.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • WylderoseWylderose Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm in my early 50s and have Lupus. Actually started playing the Sims during the Sims 3 days and picked up Sims 2 when it was free on Origins. As one said, Sims was and is not about nostalgia for me. Instead, it became a way of getting away from the crush in life that Lupus brought about. During this Covid hit, well Sims 4 suddenly became and still is my 'proverbial' best friend since I'm confined indoors you know... lacking an immune system does that. :wink:
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    People thought I was much younger than my true age up until I reached my 40s. I'm also short, so people still call me "kiddo" even though I'm 47 (48 in November) and for the most part these people are either the same age or a few years older so it feels weird to be called that by my own age group.

I've also been age shamed, as I think there is still a stigma with "women of a certain" age being told they can't wear this or do that once they reach 30. It is a thing and I've experienced it many times. Being told my hair was too long "for my age", or saying I shouldn't wear logo tees "at my age". So what is one supposed to do once they reach a milestone? Revoke their right to fashion? And of course playing games "at my age". As well as dancing. Fun fact was that I was the youngest dancer in my group in my late 30s-early 40s, the other ladies in my class were older. Yup, they called me "kiddo", haha. Someone had said to my face before that "nobody wants to watch adults dancing and it's "for kids". Yeah people sure have a lot of opinions about other peoples' ages. I tell them to whistle and that I didn't ask their opinion. I guess that's one thing I've learned to appreciate with age. I used to be too timid to speak up for myself and now I'm not.

Really your post speaks out to me. 30 though is no different to being 20's (mentally and sometimes physically speaking) I pretty much could've written your post, although I can get away more (dressing and wearing what I want) because I'm short for (and don't look) my age. It is a pain but at the end I've learnt not to give too much weight to other people's opinions. At the end of the day; being ID'd for certain things will come in handy when we're far older than we actually look. And another good thing that comes with aging is caring less by the day what other people think, as you said. :) There are benefits lol.
  • CoraRoseCoraRose Posts: 16 Member
    I’m in my early 50’s and haven’t played for awhile but came back to the game. I go through cycles with it. Love it then start getting bored. But always come back. Lol
  • MsDSweetsMsDSweets Posts: 86 Member
    Welcome to the '60s. I'm a 62 year old Simmer whose been playing since the beginning. The Sims is my Digital Barbie World. Will be playing as long as I am physically able, or until they make it absolutely unplayable. JUST KEEP SIMMIN, SIMMIN, SIMMIN!!! <3<3
  • mystang1972mystang1972 Posts: 9 New Member
    This is an amazing thread! I had no idea there were so many of us. I will be 50 at the end of summer and have been simming since early on in Sims 2. I had been interested since Sims 1, but I was a single mom and didn't have the funds for a PC. When my younger brother wanted an upgrade of his Playstation, he passed down his older version to my daughter. We then went to Game Stop to look for some used, age appropriate games for her, I happened across a used Bustin Out (for me) and that was my actual first Sims experience. I was instantly hooked and have been playing The Sims ever since. As soon as I was able to afford my own PC, I bought Sims 2 and I think Nightlife was my first expansion. When my daughter was old enough to play, she quickly became a fan too and it's one of the many things we share (getting giddy every time a new pack is released). As I am typing this, she is sitting across from me (26, graduated university, about to be married) playing Werewolves on her laptop and I'm gonna wrap this up so I can play on mine. :D
  • ShagawaMichelleShagawaMichelle Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm 54, as of last week. Been basically playing since the beginning. I own a restaurant and love dogs, particularly Shelties, and most other animals. I play the game until I get too irritated, and then ignore it for weeks or months.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited June 2022
    *** Age is of importance only if you are a bottle of TS3 nectar ***

I'm definitely a senior, I have no idea how it is to play any sims game as teenager :) Played since 1 year after TS1 release, young adult already back then.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • pendragon1980pendragon1980 Posts: 436 Member
    42 this year's, I've been playing The Sims games since the start. I play a lot of other video games as well.

My motto is growing old is mandatory ,growing up is optional
  • shadyladynzshadyladynz Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2022
    60's here...Have been playing since Sims 2 came out...
    0rqatopx73kc_zpsa779gqg6.jpg?t=1509333538
    42 this year's, I've been playing The Sims games since the start. I play a lot of other video games as well.

My motto is growing old is mandatory ,growing up is optional

As a friend of nearly equally ancient vintage says, growing old is not for wimps.

It's both comforting and encouraging to see there are so many of us so thoroughly out of the target age group. We are not alone!

On thinking of play style since TS1 days, unless doing a period game (medieval - TS2, Victorian - TS 2 & 4) it's more like the late 60s/early 70s when was YA, single, and in the navy. Now if only we had the cars of the era to drive...
  • heiblumeheiblume Posts: 33 Member
    Wylderose wrote: »
    I'm in my early 50s and have Lupus. Actually started playing the Sims during the Sims 3 days and picked up Sims 2 when it was free on Origins. As one said, Sims was and is not about nostalgia for me. Instead, it became a way of getting away from the crush in life that Lupus brought about. During this Covid hit, well Sims 4 suddenly became and still is my 'proverbial' best friend since I'm confined indoors you know... lacking an immune system does that. :wink:

I have lupus too. Even though I played well before my diagnoses and later when it became too hard to work and I became "homebound" per the Vets Admin, it has become my escape when I am too sore to be active and especially when winter sets in here along Lake Superior. I think that is why I miss the open world and variety of play and depth of Sims 3 so much compared to Sims 4. I would love to travel the world again in real life, but barring that I hope Sims 5 will bring back the open world to explore.

• barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    Pushing 60, been playing Sims since the first Sims game came out.
    You are a future one of us.
  • carlimactcarlimact Posts: 766 Member
    edited June 2022
    I'm thirty and started late with the sims 3
    Although, sometimes I feel much older with the way S4 marketing is.

I also sent a request to the FB group if that's alright
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Mid 30s. I've been here since I first played TS1 at a friend's house. We'd spend hours writing these highly detailed bios for each of our sims and I still remember the horror of watching my (successful) simself dropping dead from playing with the guinea pig too much.
  • jenpow01jenpow01 Posts: 28 Member
    I turned 55 in May, and I was hooked from the minute my niece showed me her "The Sims game." My daughter started there as well. So when Sims 2 came out, I bought the game for her. Turns out it had more appeal for me over the years than my family. I am still playing Sims 2, 3 and 4 whenever I get a chance. I love all of them, they are unique in their own way.
  • beckyx1991beckyx1991 Posts: 19 Member
    31, played since 2000. Was hooked on the first Sims, even if I did turn it off and refuse to play it after I heard the burglar music for the first time LOL