Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's going to happen when Internet Explorer ends tomorrow?

What's going to happen now that internet explorer ends tomorrow?
6JSxk49.png?1

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Probably nothing.
    You can still launch the game, and I assume you would be able to still download.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    If I understand it correctly, it's full support for Internet Explorer that ends. That usually means that they will stop updating it, except for maybe important security updates for a couple of years. If you use Internet Explorer as your main browser maybe it's time to start using another one, like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited June 2022
    Cororon wrote: »
    If I understand it correctly, it's full support for Internet Explorer that ends. That usually means that they will stop updating it, except for maybe important security updates for a couple of years. If you use Internet Explorer as your main browser maybe it's time to start using another one, like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Firefox.

The OP is referring to the launcher, because the launcher relies on IE to run.
    I would assume nothing is gonna happen though, except maybe the homepage of the launcher
    might not load.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited June 2022
    Yay, I’m glad I use Firefox and have been for a number of years and Edge has caused some problems for me on certain websites and applications. So I’m staying away from Microsoft browsers

I’ve had no problem with not having any vestiges of IE on my OS and have managed to launch the Sims 3 launcher through Firefox. It been a bit of a donkey’s hind-end with Chrome and Edge however.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2022
    Played every day this week, including this afternoon, didn't see any difference.
    Post edited by Nitroglycol on
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    I really wish we didn't have to use a launcher to play a game we bought. I don't think anything will happen but I do wonder what happened to just inserting the disk or booting up the game and go.
  • Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    Just played, Launcher works
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    edited June 2022
    You will still be able to access sites that had used IE by going through MS Edge as they have a switch that you can turn on as all of your passwords, history, cookies and other browser data is automatically brought over to Edge.
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2022/06/15/internet-explorer-11-has-retired-and-is-officially-out-of-support-what-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=After 25+ years of helping,today, June 15, 2022.

You first need to go to your Settings on Edge and then Default Browser and click on the Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode button and then hit Restart so that Edge recognizes IE in the Privacy, Search and Services tab. Once that is done, then you can go to Privacy, Search and Services to see the Clear browsing data for Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps... :)
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I use Edge on my main Sims machine and haven't had any issues with it. I also use Firefox on my 2nd Sims PC and haven't seen an issue with that either. Using Edge, I was able to both sign into my Sims account through the launcher and download without an issue. I only did this as a test, but it worked for me.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Does this mean that you will not have the Launcher, then how do you add worlds to your game if you do not have the launcher, or lots etc from the exchange
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    @Evalen - The Launcher still (currently) works. You are able to still download and add content to your game. Since the launcher is needed to upload files, as long as people are still adding content to the exchange things are good. So, kind-of use that as an unofficial gauge for if the launcher is working.

On a different note, if you already have the SimPacks downloaded, you can bypass the launcher for installing content. Just double click on the pack itself and the installer (small black screen) will start. Afterwards, the launcher will appear to show the content has been installed (or failed).
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @Evalen - The Launcher still (currently) works. You are able to still download and add content to your game. Since the launcher is needed to upload files, as long as people are still adding content to the exchange things are good. So, kind-of use that as an unofficial gauge for if the launcher is working.

On a different note, if you already have the SimPacks downloaded, you can bypass the launcher for installing content. Just double click on the pack itself and the installer (small black screen) will start. Afterwards, the launcher will appear to show the content has been installed (or failed).

Thanks I have been using it and it works fine so far. glad to here that there is another way