Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Makes You Re-Start?

Comments

• viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Any major update or big pack release. It means I'll have to adjust my modlist, redo my makeovers and generally do a lot of tinkering to make sure everything works as I want it to. I mostly use TS4 for creating sims and doing builds atm and I'll play properly once the game is no longer getting new content.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Any major update or big pack release. It means I'll have to adjust my modlist, redo my makeovers and generally do a lot of tinkering to make sure everything works as I want it to. I mostly use TS4 for creating sims and doing builds atm and I'll play properly once the game is no longer getting new content.
    Gosh, that's a long time to wait to play properly... :o
    Gosh, that's a long time to wait to play properly... :o

I find TS4 fairly frustrating to play since the game feels like it's fighting me on everything, and whenever I download a mod to stop whatever is annoying me another patch or pack will come out and break it. So for the moment I'm happy just working on my builds of every major location from the Resident Evil games.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Boredom with how a game save is progressing, getting a new 'what if I...' idea, have so wrecked my sim's life (usually by on-the-fly experiments) that I can't bear to go back to that particular save.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Since Werewolves are coming out, I'm going to have to restart a game to play with two werewolves and a Vampire.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    I restart all the time. I get bored with the storyline I’m playing and I think of another one I want to try and start a new save. I rarely go back to my other saves too. I hate that I have this problem because that means I always start off in the same boring worlds with the same boring townies.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    lovemy4s wrote: »
    I restart all the time. I get bored with the storyline I’m playing and I think of another one I want to try and start a new save. I rarely go back to my other saves too. I hate that I have this problem because that means I always start off in the same boring worlds with the same boring townies.

I rotate the townies which helps. So for my current game there’s no Landgraabs, Calientes or Roomies. Eliza is a widow. I just kept Bella Goth, pretending she’d been abducted again and living in Forgotten Hollow.
    I’ve emptied Oasis Springs and Newcrest pretending there’s been some kind of environmental problem.

I’ve put Vlad in the Other Households as disabled accidental death. He now has a house full of kids! 😂

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    lovemy4s wrote: »

Honestly, I think a Surfing metaphor might be a legitimate game play tactic for the Sims 4.
    You catch a wave and ride it for as long as you can and then you look for another one.

Some of my enjoyable simming came from just taking a sim and trying something out.
    Right now I am into a long, drawn out project that I feel will be rewarding when it's finally up and running, but I have had more fun with shorter experiences.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Depends what you mean.

Exiting without restart: Only in 2 circumstances: 1) Sim that I wanted around died, or 2) Game crashed.

Starting in a new save: Ran out of lots to build on, needed new "no custom content" save for game update, mods used in old save became obsolete, had to remove some bad content that kept my game from loading (Sims 4 and Sims 2 ".package" files have the same file extension so it is difficult to tell them apart especially new Sims 2 downloads), or new scenario available. Shame we don't have a package file troubleshooter that will tell us which game the package works with. I have started using Sims4Studio just to preview the content when the game is not running: if it will display when loaded in S4S, it is a legit Sims 4 file...but this does not work for script mods or merged files. (I love those batch fixes that fix old cc as well.) I rarely play vanilla games.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited June 2022
    I restart all the time feeling the same as you.... "i should have done this or that from the start...".

After having spent too much time thinking about why i do this 😅 i've realized it has nothing to do with the game and all with me, with how i am...

I'm not the kind of person that will wonder around without a goal for a long time without getting bored. Because this is such an open game i need to find my own "guide"... so i'm always trying to get to this "perfect" start, this "perfect" set of self-imposed rules that will guide me and make my game better... But there isn't a perfect start in the sims, just as there isn't a perfect way of playing it.
  • duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    I actually don't restart too often, I tend to get attached to my sims and try to stay with a family/save file for as long as possible. But, any time a new major pack gets released that adds some cool and exciting new gameplay, I normally have to start fresh and create a whole new sim/save file to go through the new content with. Sometimes I plan on trying to incorporate the new content into my current save if I happen to have a YA or close sim that I don't already have a plan for, but usually it feels so much more clean if I start over and just focus on that new pack.
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Closest I ever came to “restarting” is when the game crashes and I didn’t get to save the build or the progress. But no I’ve never truly restarted. I’ve been playing. Two saves for 7-8 years.

But I have scraped characters and builds and go back and recreate them in hopes of making them look how I imagined.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Have thought of 2 other reasons. One is the arrival of kids as TS4 toddlers are a serious pain in the caboose, so that particular household soon becomes more aggravating than it's worth. Fortunately, I tend to play rotationally so go on to another household not so afflicted.

The other is outside wrecking. About a year ago on the almost fully loaded installation, either the game or Microsoft did something to both the saves and tray folders so that all the files in them have an X at the head of the file name. I could replace the tray folder thanks to the one from my other installation on an older machine, but the games are toast. Had to start from scratch. A shame as there were some interesting games in there.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    In Sims 2 I always restarted whenever my computer or hard drive died. I played that game for ten years so that happened a few times.

In Sims 4 I have started a new save whenever I buy a pack that doesn't fit with my old save. My current save has been pretty flexible in fitting everything so I haven't started over since early 2019.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    After the Eco-Lifestyle fiasco with so many bugs causing repetitive actions, I just got used to starting a new save with new packs. I start new saves with Mods off and just see if everything is working like it should and then I add mods back in and mess it all up
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I'll play a given save until the families have gotten too large to be enjoyable, then restart with a new character or starting from a different house. In my most recent save, I created a character but immediately switched to Becca Clarke and Julia Wright, who I've wanted to play since uni came out but have never just sat down and FOUND them.
  • AnisimAnisim Posts: 181 Member
    I JUST restarted before I saw this thread! And it's not my first restart either (and won't be my last). I even made a thread a few years back asking if I should feel bad for doing so lol.

I usually restart when I've been away from my game for awhile and I forget what I had planned for my sims. Other times it's when something right goes COMPLETELY wrong and I can't fix it. This time around, some townies died but I didn't know how long ago nor how many. I was just playing my main household then I got a notification, "Katrina's spirit is fading". I'm sorry, WHAT?! KATRINA'S DEAD?! Then I found out Mortimer is gone too! The remaining Goth's moved to the city but I couldn't find them in any of the households! And I have lost many other sims that I was completely unaware of. I was unaware of the neighborhood stories until AFTER all of this and much more had happened!
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    I have solved the issue with having so many ideas and so little time by rotational gameplay in a same save. I just do the new idea with a new family without deleting the save or starting new one. The old family/sim will stay there and you wont loose progress or their skills. It´s also rewarding to make stories between them and the familylines grow bigger and you can have a town soap opera lol.
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    Jadeleine wrote: »
    I have solved the issue with having so many ideas and so little time by rotational gameplay in a same save. I just do the new idea with a new family without deleting the save or starting new one. The old family/sim will stay there and you wont loose progress or their skills. It´s also rewarding to make stories between them and the familylines grow bigger and you can have a town soap opera lol.

I really like this idea and I'm trying REALLY hard not to restart this legacy this time by doing some rotational gameplay with the families that surround my legacy sim.

The furthest I've gotten in a legacy (and this is going all the way back to Sims 2) is gen 4 or 5. I start to lose focus when the families get too big or unwieldy. Another thing I'm trying this time is limiting the child count for each gen to 2 so the game isn't overrun by family members.

The number one thing that makes me restart though is an heir that doesn't interest me. That's what happened to me most recently. I had my legacy founder (my favorite sim ever and I only start legacies with her now). She had a son who I loved--I made him a comedy writer and followed him to Uni and then to Del Sol to follow his dreams. Their second child would stay home and be the heir. I found the second child to be a total dud and uploaded my Comedy Writer Sim for safekeeping before starting from scratch.

I should really learn to make the heir the one I find most interesting.
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    I have ADHD and I've always really struggled to stick with anything. I have a savefile only for building houses, I find something interesting for sale on a real estate website and try to copy it in the game. Then I have a save for playing around and testing mods or CC, which is a mess. I also have saves for my stories, one for each simlit or challenge. But I have to jump around between them to avoid getting bored with a single playstyle.
    generation5julia.png
  • Sol_RisingSol_Rising Posts: 20 Member
    > @elanorbreton said:
    > Being a continual sufferer of re-startitus, I wondered what makes other people quit their games and start all over again?
    > Do you use the same lots? The same sims?
    >
    > For me, I can be trundling along quite nicely when I suddenly get new ideas *oh, I should have done such and such* and think the best way to implement said ideas is by starting all over again... it's like a curse! I never get further than a couple of sim years (28 day seasons). I've never reached a 3rd generation.
    >
    > So I will go back to my 'starter' save where I have set up all my favourite lots - sometimes I will change a couple of lots that I'm bored with or no longer like - and I will mostly play all the same sims in my rotation but with the new ideas implemented. I think I need to switch it up a bit this time!

What makes me restart is when a ton of townies are generated with grayish skintones or have the most weirdness names. It practically breaks the immersion in the game. Now I know there is MCCC, but it can be a pain when you've recently downloaded a clothing mod and there aren't any tags assigned to it.
    Played TS2, TS3, and obviously TS4. Systems I played the Sims on are GameCube, Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, and now primarily the PC.
    fRPtyvE.png
    The picture is from my ROBLOX game. Yep, I'm a ROBLOX developer and proud to be one.
  • Garfieldwxg55Garfieldwxg55 Posts: 76 Member
    For me, I restarted my first save as I made a few mistakes and there were a few things that I wanted to do differently after I knew a bit more about the game
    I'll get my save file nicely set up, everyone made over and all new lots placed but then I find playing it so frustrating due to the game generating endless townies and not using my homeless sims that I'll give up.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited June 2022
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    After the Eco-Lifestyle fiasco with so many bugs causing repetitive actions, I just got used to starting a new save with new packs. I start new saves with Mods off and just see if everything is working like it should and then I add mods back in and mess it all up

That made me rage quit the game. :D
    I was also a bit fed up the University food situation and dormies who didn't tend to their needs, as well as weird routing, musical chairs, etc.
    I actually uninstalled the whole thing, ready to start playing all the un-played games in my Steam Library.

I said to myself that I would come back if EA would overhaul sim-to-sim interactions and the personality system.
    The very next month they introduced Lifestyles and Sentiments. And at the same time they released Snowy Escape.
    -Love Japanese Culture
    -Have wished for downhill skiing
    -Love the idea of my climbing machine sims actually able to mountain climb.
    -Another vacation break alternative for my Uni sims.

My mouth hung open as I looked at the screen. :o
    I reinstalled everything, except Eco Lifestyle. Later we also got Likes and Dislikes, which I like more than lifestyles and Sentiments because they add fun to the things sims likes and makes them react to things they dislike. I eventually re-installed Eco Lifestyle after I learned how to get around the NAPs I didn't like, which is most of them.

All I need is a whims overhaul and an attraction system to be patched in and I'm satisfied.
    I'll take whatever GPs and EPs they put out. Hoping for Bands, teen life, modeling, and a future tech pack though.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds