Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have a problem with the new telescope...

Either I am missing something completely or the new telescope will not work on balconies. I have tried on several different lots and it keeps saying that these interactions cannot be performed inside. PLEASE tell me I am doing something wrong and that this object doesn't only work outside on the ground.

Comments

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Same for me. Hope it gets fixed.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I used it up on the Goth’s roof outside Alexander’s weird turret bedroom just fine. Maybe you can’t have a roof or ceiling above it?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I had a problem with this balcony, because the game saw it as an enclosed room.
    06-14-22_5-10-33_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This one was no problem, other than having to make it into a 3x4 instead of the 2x4 it was originally.
    06-14-22_5-14-03_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yeah, that’s a great illustration of what I was trying to say @CK213. I think the area above the telescope has to be open.
  • Options
    lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    edited June 2022
    Y'all are right. I played around with it some more and it works on my residential lots. I didn't realize the residential lot I downloaded from the gallery had a roof covering its balcony. Unfortunately for me, I love playing in apartments and these will not work on apartment balconies because of this.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited June 2022
    noooo I have roof on like 99% of my balconies and i also don't understand why it couldn't be used indoors cause well windows exist

I hope they make it useable indoors

I guess its cause of the meteor thing but really tho TT
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Posted this in the patch thread before I saw this thread.

Response to a question on using the telescope on balconies in San Myshuno.

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    If there is both the risk of meteor and alien abduction it won't work under a ceiling. Not sure telescope is needed for abductions in ts4 though, but maybe they (EA) changed some code.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited June 2022
    they could always add meteorite free version that can be placed indoors for easiest fix

or they could have made it so sim is summoned outside and then they get hit by the meteorite exactly how alien abductions work

it just seems silly to not be able to use it at all indoors/ on covered balcony because of meteorite thing
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    lovemy4s wrote: Β»
    Y'all are right. I played around with it some more and it works on my residential lots. I didn't realize the residential lot I downloaded from the gallery had a roof covering its balcony. Unfortunately for me, I love playing in apartments and these will not work on apartment balconies because of this.

A covered patio such as you describe sounds more like a loggia.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    We will probably just have to get a little creative with covered balcony construction.
    Pull the roof back a bit, push the balcony out a bit. This one is extreme with no protection from rain, but I wonder how far I can push out the roof and not break the telescope.
    06-14-22_7-52-36_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I did discover this is a good activity for my Loners who might be feeling crowed in the house.
    She's perfectly happy out here.
    06-14-22_7-53-47_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

Well, that doesn't help. How are we going to spy on neighbours from ground level? Most apartments have covered balconies, would have been lovely to have that interaction available from balconies, and also with no chance of meteorite strike.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    It would also have been nice to not only be able to place on a balcony and/or in a room but to also have a couple of nice pictures from it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    It would also have been nice to not only be able to place on a balcony and/or in a room but to also have a couple of nice pictures from it.

And there could be a mosaic pic if a sim spies on neighbours :lol:

But maybe only for flirty sims or something. I wouldn't want everyone to have it :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    This discussion reminds me of the sims telescope. We were able to use it inside, but only if it was placed in front of a window. I never found another Sims object that required such a placement. It would have been nice if the sims 4 version worked like that. But I am still happy to finally have a normal telescope. :) β­πŸŒŸπŸŒ πŸŒ’
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2022

This is a poor excuse to be honest...

The meteor death shouldn't need to be a guaranteed possibility when using the telescope. If people want the option to use it indoors and keep their sims safe then that should actually be an option. It's like they added this new death option and now they are forcing people to deal with it and also using it as an excuse for poorly implementing an item that should easily be able to be used in an indoor environment.

I'm happy for the new death type, the Sims 4 has been sorely lacking in this kind of thing but please don't force it on people and use it as an excuse for poor execution of items, that's just bad service.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I am just glad we finally have a smaller telescope. I hated only having the big one, never used it on residential lots, only community lots. Now my Sims can finally have their own personal telescope.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,084 Member
    My uncle Jimmy had no problem with the telescope on his balcony, although there was no option to "spy on neighbours" for him:
    6zVl9vg.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Has anyone tried with a balcony room that has the ceiling removed, but still has a roof?
  • Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited June 2022
    Year, it's nice to finally have a small telescope, but I was hoping that the "spy on neighbors" would cause some actual reactions like in Sims 2 where the Sim would come over and complain about being spied on. Of course that would be too much to expect in Sims 4 :/
    And what is that permanent in loop β€œhead turn to the left” for? So annoying. Just like in the animation β€œwatch TV in bed” sigh.
    β€ž - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - β€œ

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2022
    MissyHissy has created a mod that allows the telescope to be used indoors, I will just leave this here incase anybody would like it...
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/67973909
  • Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Bienchen has also made a mod for the telescope to be used inside to her latest updates https://bienchen.sems-own-world.de/update-19-06-2022/
    β€ž - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - β€œ