Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Meteorite Death

Someone posted the animation on Twitter. Perfect target too :wink:

And I found this in debug. Description is *chef's kiss* - Meteorite is a total diva.

unknown.png

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited June 2022
    For some reason, the death trait is missing a picture, name, and description. Even the death name is missing in the genealogy panel. Is it just me?

Death action is Death by Meteorite though.

Ghosts who die this way will get hit by a meteor every day. Same animation as death, but the ghost gets up afterwards. Plus that meteorite object won't show up.

It seems to randomly happen when a sim uses the telescope. They'll get a scared moodlet that last for about 15 sim-minutes. If sim isn't indoors when it expires, they'll die.

But I wonder how random it is... @kusurusu , sorry for asking constantly, but what are the chances of a sim getting hit by a meteorite?

But yeah, this is the second death to come from a patch (the first was drowning).
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Someone posted the animation on Twitter. Perfect target too :wink:

That's a high precision wipeout, love how she just stands there waiting for the meteorite to fall. And Grim Reaper is there to actually witness it all. :lol:

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »
    That's a high precision wipeout, love how she just stands there waiting for the meteorite to fall. And Grim Reaper is there to actually witness it all. :lol:

He already knew it was inevitable. May as well be early and watch the show.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    And I found this in debug. Description is *chef's kiss* - Meteorite is a total diva.

unknown.png
    This is so ridiculous, I love it. More stuff like this please, Sims team.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Looks like I have a new way to kill off sims who are no longer narratively necessary...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm… wonder if you can make using the telescope as a club rule :)
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 156 Member
    oooh! fun! didn't sims 2 have that? I might be wrong.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Kbobster wrote: »

Kind of, but you didn't have to use the telescope for it to happen, it would happen when they were lying on the ground looking at the sky.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I always disliked how much work you had to put into some deaths in Sims 4. Like you have to be struck by lightning at least twice to die, you have to go out of your way to force your spellcasters to die by overloading, and a lot of other deaths have a warning moodlet. There was little surprise because you had to actively try and kill your sims. If this meteorite death is this random thing that can happen, that adds a lot of unpredictability and uniqueness. It's great.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    The animation seems kinda off. When she's surprised and all it's good, but it seems like there's no transitions between when she's standing and when she's on the ground...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    It's so amusing to me that everyone is getting so very excited everytime a new death is introduced while my first thought is always: "Oh no! Not ANOTHER death that I have to prevent by avoiding things or getting a mod to get rid of it."
    I don't know...I want my Sims to live their best life and not to be killed by looking at the stars... :#

This really seems dangerous because the Sim has only a few seconds to go inside...
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    It took about 2 days to get it to happen in my test save.
    Kbobster wrote: »

Well, The Sims 2 had it with satellites instead, but yeah. Though your sim needed to watch clouds/stargaze on the ground.
    The Sims 3 took it to jumpscarish heights. A really really really rare chance that a meteor falls on a sim (the chance is larger if a telescope is used), and that one may kill more than one sim.

The Sims 4 takes from both of the games (The Sims 2's single kill, The Sims 3's meteor).
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I always disliked how much work you had to put into some deaths in Sims 4. Like you have to be struck by lightning at least twice to die, you have to go out of your way to force your spellcasters to die by overloading, and a lot of other deaths have a warning moodlet. There was little surprise because you had to actively try and kill your sims. If this meteorite death is this random thing that can happen, that adds a lot of unpredictability and uniqueness. It's great.

Unfortunately it is another where you have to ignore the giant warning and let it happen. You get a warning that the meteor is on the way and then have a few minutes to get your sim inside. Your sim will only die if you ignore that.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I will probably have to mod it so that there is less warning before a sim dies. Wonder if it can happen to npc-sims as well?
    Knowing that children can also use telescopes, I had to test it out.

And the results are here!

Children can get the warning that a meteor is heading towards them, but once the moodlet expires, nothing happens.

Conclusion: Children can't die by meteorites.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

Unfortunately it is another where you have to ignore the giant warning and let it happen. You get a warning that the meteor is on the way and then have a few minutes to get your sim inside. Your sim will only die if you ignore that.

I don't like that. Where is the fun in it if you know it's coming? I guess they have to do it this way these days cos a lot of people would complain otherwise. Me, I like surprises. And if I really didn't want a dead sim I could quit without saving.

All you'd have to do is save your game before using the telescope, just in case, if it was a precious sim.

Yes, that is indeed the trend.

However, the player will have a problem if the sim doesn't have an indoors to run into. For example, bringing a telescope too far away from home or using it on a camping trip. With 15 sim-minutes on the timer, farewell!

Though I have thought of a solution: death mode option. It would have three settings: no death (for players who hate death), easy mode (deaths are predictable and require work), and hard mode (deaths can be unpredictable). Right now, the only real random death is death by murphy bed.
  • AllinsimstimeAllinsimstime Posts: 106 Member
    I was just playing around with the new death to see the if the ghost has anything special about them… Meteor Ghost re-enact their death sequence including the sounds, lights and explosions. This can also happen inside to the ghosts. What terrifying existence for them.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I know it's supposed to be rare, but I lost a sim within the first day. Two other sims (I was running a household with 5 sims - the 4 occults you can make from CAS and 1 human) used the telescope autonomously and were fine. I direct my human to use it and BOOM! Even in the middle of the afternoon.

Fortunately, he was created to be sacrificed in just such a way (and then added back into the household as the ghost.)
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    I've already lost 2 sims from about 3 hours of gameplay. I hope that it's a coincidence though because I don't want too many sims dying.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I am SO psyched for this!

I think the apocalyptic day of reckoning is coming closer for my Sims. I need Ghosts - interesting Ghosts - and I think it's time to build the Squid Games, Sims style. >:)
    #Team Occult
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I don't like that. Where is the fun in it if you know it's coming? I guess they have to do it this way these days cos a lot of people would complain otherwise. Me, I like surprises. And if I really didn't want a dead sim I could quit without saving.

All you'd have to do is save your game before using the telescope, just in case, if it was a precious sim.

There is literally a cheat in the game already that disables accidental deaths. All t hey have to do is make that a game option instead and then allow us players to have accidental deaths more easily.

Some saves I do want accidental deaths, most in fact, but sometimes I do not.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm actively trying to get it and I must be unlucky. The first attempt took two days using 2 sims taking turns. My second attempt was with a family of 8. They autonomously used it for at least 2 sim weeks before I saw anything happen. I would hate to see it get nerfed, I don't think is like the Murphy bed situation where the odds were really high of it happening. Besides, you do have time to run inside before getting hit. I like spontaneous accidents. I miss that. I like busy households with things happening all around me.

This household of 8 had a death trap of a house. I lost 3 sims to other things before the meteor came. First was a grill fire, second was mortified/embarrassed, third was old age, then came the meteor. The family were using the telescope often too, so at least in my experience they don't seem to be that common of an event. Anybody who knows my playstyle knows that I often set my houses up to be death traps so I was actively going for the meteor kills and I felt the odds were low in comparison to others.