Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

older generations unite!

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    50 is fast approaching. Sometimes I feel it, most of the time I don't. I started with the Sims 3 about a year after it released and I haven't let up since. I can't imagine what I'd do without it, that's how much a part of my life it's become. It started out as a hobby and a creative outlet for stories in my head. But about 5 or 6 years ago it became a life line. I can say for me the Sims is not merely a game. I am part of the LGBTQ community and the game became an avenue to explore myself, my world, to do and be what I couldn't in real life. It never started out to be that, but for a while that's what it was. Now it's back to being what it was before, a creative outlet. Storytelling, creating sims, or building and redecorating. There's always something for me to do.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    mid 50's. Been playing since Sims2.
  • AlexaiAlexai Posts: 185 Member
    Mid sixties. Been playing since Sims 1.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm 47 and started playing video games in 1981 or 82.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited June 2022
    I am in my late 20s but I feel about 72. Just keep simming :D

mood also in my 20s never really feel my age
    but sometimes i feel like 1000 years old
    and other times i feel like a baby
    and yes this is one of those times

*Simmingal baby gets dropped to oldie clubs doorstep*
    *starts screaming her lungs out*
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited June 2022
    I feel much older too. I have a lot of back problems which limits the things I can do. I used to love dancing but had to give it up because of that. Took me years to accept the pain wasn't worth it. Games are pretty much my only hobby these days.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I started playing Sims 1 when I was 41. Hard to believe I'm still at it 22 years later. I was fortunate enough to participate in several Sims events over the years, and I was at the Gamescon in Germany when the Sims 4 was first announced. Some of you might remember me. I still see some familiar Sims from way back when, but unfortunately, there are not many left.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    I feel the marketing collateral, pack trailers, and messaging does not speak to me. It feels juvenile to me. I feel alienated, left behind, and not at all a priority for EA.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    Let's say I'm Child of early 80's era, begin my play in The Sims. However I skipped 2 & 3 due to Horrific aesthetic design of the game compare to 1st franchise, I never bother to buy Any of them till Sims 4.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    I feel the marketing collateral, pack trailers, and messaging does not speak to me. It feels juvenile to me. I feel alienated, left behind, and not at all a priority for EA.

I agree. It's become clear that with Sims 4, they are only concerned with the players who are, say, under 35. I was 40 or 41 when I first played the original Sims, and I never really felt this way about it, 2 or 3. But now, the music in the trailers, the celebrities and brands they put in the game, etc., is just not for our age bracket.

• Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Early 30's and have been playing since the start of The Sims 1. :)
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I just had a quick look at the 'meet the players' sections on the Sims 4 website & the oldest player I could find was 33. How about the 40, 50 or 60+ players get some representation as well. Last time I looked I was still part of both the female and LGBTQIA+ demographic, and I'm sure there are more female, LGBTQIA+, Bipoc and other players who are over 35 and deserve representation as well.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Early 50's. Started playing in February 2002 after visiting my best friend at the time - she got me hooked.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm in my early 50s also. But mostly feel I'm in my 30s. I remember back in the late 80s when my Dad bought his first computer. It was a Desktop Compu Amiga. There was no such thing as Windows & Internet back then. I remember enjoying playing the Adventures of Sinbad & the 1st Original Civilization games. They where on a volume set of 3 & half floppy disks. DVDs didn't exist yet.
    And what I think of what's funny is now that I know that there was an Original Sims PC game called Sims City, I wonder why my Dad or I never, ever heard about it.
    Anyways, that's my story on how I got introduced to computers & PC games. ;)

I played Sim city back in the day. It was like being a city manager, and I recall there were things like earthquakes and other natural disasters that could happen, and if the player didn't spend enough on roads, it would affect the satisfaction of the citizens, etc. It was really like an interactive ant farm, not like any real personal interaction with the people (no Sims-as-we-know-them) but a sort of managerial relationship to the citizenry as an aggregate thing.

My first home computer was an IBM AT, that was in...1986 I think. I was about the only kid at school who had one by dint of having a relative who was a senior engineer at a then-US-based tech manufacturing firm. I remember Daisywheel printers that came before Dot Matrix, and played a lot of ASCII graphic games: DND, Castle Adventure, SLEUTH, ELIZA, Hack/Rogue, starting when I was about 11.

Later on, we had EGA and CGA graphics, with COLORS! Like 8 of them! Then VGA games looked so great by comparison, then SuperVGA, and I recall RobotVGA, MinerVGA, and . I remember fondly a lot of Dos games from that era. Remember shareware like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure?

This is making me want to go do a deep dive back into Gog games again :) or see what can still be done with Dosbox and old game files. All games back then were indie games, and they all relied on gameplay depth because what else was there? The graphics were rudimentary. Then when 3D graphics started to get good, and we had epic titles like DESCENT, Mechwarrior and others of the era that I played until the game was still going on in my mind when I went to sleep.

Then everything changed irrevocably one day when I was invited to the next house years and timezones later, where a bunch of people between late teens and early 20s were roomies, because they wanted to show me this awesome amazing new game, The Sims. I got my own, and would find hours had gone by and I didn't know where the time went. It was the gameplay, the surprises, the quirks and humor and unpredictability of it, and just enough grind factor but not too much.

The music, the perpetual perfect spring weather with daffodils and tulips growing in their little squares around the house, Bob Newbie in his food-stained grubby t-shirt cracking up in front of kiddie cartoons that sounded like the ones I grew up on. How deeply happy Bella Goth sounded, relaxing into her hot bath. The birds singing outside, the newspaper kid whistling on their way past the house. That stress-inducing sting almost like the Jaws theme, when your Sim missed work! But then came expansions and with them, flies. I hated the sound of them buzzing, and there was this bug where they'd get permanently stuck in the house.

I feel a bit nostalgic for the perfect juxtaposition of having such large chunks of time to dedicate, without consequence, to DESCENT, Mechwarrior, and later The Sims, that I did then. It was the thrill of being so immersed in a game that I didn't want to come out. I miss that feeling.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »

I agree. It's become clear that with Sims 4, they are only concerned with the players who are, say, under 35. I was 40 or 41 when I first played the original Sims, and I never really felt this way about it, 2 or 3. But now, the music in the trailers, the celebrities and brands they put in the game, etc., is just not for our age bracket.

Honestly, I doubt the marketing team is interested in anyone 30+ these days. I look blank any time a social media personality or fashion brand is mentioned as a collaborator or inspiration. I still don't know (or care) who Baby Ariel is so I ignore that sim. Sims 2 had the H&M and Ikea packs which I'd at least heard of. I rarely shop in those places, but at least they are names I'd heard of when they came out. The staff who use the forums however, definitely seem much more inclusive.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Folks, can I just say - you're ALL looking great for your age! <3
    • I was born in 1980.
    • I look like I'm in my early 30's.
    • I feel like I'm in my early 20's.
    • I act like I'm in my early teens.
    • Some people still call me "baby".
    • I discovered The Sims (3) when I was 33.
    • I looked like a 23 y/o.
    • I felt like 13 y/o.
    • I acted like a baby.
    • Most people didn't even know I exist. Fun fact: most people still don't.
    People thought I was much younger than my true age up until I reached my 40s. I'm also short, so people still call me "kiddo" even though I'm 47 (48 in November) and for the most part these people are either the same age or a few years older so it feels weird to be called that by my own age group.

I've also been age shamed, as I think there is still a stigma with "women of a certain" age being told they can't wear this or do that once they reach 30. It is a thing and I've experienced it many times. Being told my hair was too long "for my age", or saying I shouldn't wear logo tees "at my age". So what is one supposed to do once they reach a milestone? Revoke their right to fashion? And of course playing games "at my age". As well as dancing. Fun fact was that I was the youngest dancer in my group in my late 30s-early 40s, the other ladies in my class were older. Yup, they called me "kiddo", haha. Someone had said to my face before that "nobody wants to watch adults dancing and it's "for kids". Yeah people sure have a lot of opinions about other peoples' ages. I tell them to whistle and that I didn't ask their opinion. I guess that's one thing I've learned to appreciate with age. I used to be too timid to speak up for myself and now I'm not.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    67! And proud of it. I've been playing since 2005 when my grown daughter introduced me to Sims2.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited June 2022
    I definitely look younger than my age (late 30s). Part of it is probably the fact that I'm short and almost never wear make up. Last week I got IDed buying a box of premixed spirits in the supermarket. That's always fun. It happens to me in the supermarket far more frequently than it happens in a pub. In my early 20s I occasionally got IDed going to clubs with my then colleagues and I only got IDed once in that situation, so it may be scenario-specific. Last year, I was involved in an RTA and the police officer who spoke to me before the ambulance turned up told my NOK he thought I was a teenager heading to school before I told him my DOB. :o I guess I'm an elf...
    Finvola wrote: »
    People thought I was much younger than my true age up until I reached my 40s. I'm also short, so people still call me "kiddo" even though I'm 47 (48 in November) and for the most part these people are either the same age or a few years older so it feels weird to be called that by my own age group.

I've also been age shamed, as I think there is still a stigma with "women of a certain" age being told they can't wear this or do that once they reach 30. It is a thing and I've experienced it many times. Being told my hair was too long "for my age", or saying I shouldn't wear logo tees "at my age". So what is one supposed to do once they reach a milestone? Revoke their right to fashion? And of course playing games "at my age". As well as dancing. Fun fact was that I was the youngest dancer in my group in my late 30s-early 40s, the other ladies in my class were older. Yup, they called me "kiddo", haha. Someone had said to my face before that "nobody wants to watch adults dancing and it's "for kids". Yeah people sure have a lot of opinions about other peoples' ages. I tell them to whistle and that I didn't ask their opinion. I guess that's one thing I've learned to appreciate with age. I used to be too timid to speak up for myself and now I'm not.

I'm glad you're at that stage where you are happy to be yourself regardless of what other people think. It's so sad that people think it's ok to dictate to others how they should behave or dress, particularly in terms of gender or age. A while back a family member made a remark out of the blue that women should only dye their hair to change the colour and not to hide grey hair. That relative believes in growing old gracefully. My view is "No thanks. Disgracefully all the way."
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member

A while back a family member made a remark out of the blue that women should only dye their hair to change the colour and not to hide grey hair.

Grey is a color, so.... :)
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I'm 68 and have been playing The Sims since the day I pre-ordered SimCity4. The sales clerk suggested it, since I was getting SC4 (and had played those since SimCity the original on Amiga). I had avoided it because all the promos showed Sims hitting other Sims. Not my thing. But the clerk, when I mentioned that, said that I didn't have to play that way. So, I got it and immediately fell in love with the game. I also got so involved on the official forum (helping with building computers and with gameplay) that the day that TS2 started, I was made a SimMaster. (SimMaster Anubis.) And I've loved every version of The Sims since then! I'm currently having a blast with TS4. I occasionally play TS3 but very quickly go back to TS4, wondering why I bothered trying TS3 again.