Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming EP: High School

Comments

• lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    Note, this is coming from a Swede.

I... don't see the point. Or rather I don't see the point in separating high school from middle school or the first years? Over here "high school" is definitely no different from any other year, it's just school, but I guess judging from American movies and TV shows it is a big deal over there? I guess?

Besides, having to micro manage teenagers between classes University style while they are still at home seems overwhelming to me, I can barely keep up with three sims period, even with sending them all off to rabbit hole jobs, and having to baby sit a teenager while trying to up skills and promotions for their parents seems to be a chore, and no fun at all.

I guess you could do it as a boarding school, but that is even less of an universal experience, usually reserved for the wealthy only and only in very very few countries at that.

University I get, by the times your Sim kids are YA, you usually move them to a new house and play them instead of their parents (at least I do that) so having them move to a dorm for a bit first is only logical and you don't have to juggle the rest of the family while you're there. But again my main issue with this is "Why high school?" at all? From a Swedish perspective the only real difference between grades 10 to 12 is that they aren't mandatory by unlike grades 1 to 9 so it is legal to quit school. That's it.

Bra sagt! Kul att inte va den ända svenska här :smile:

Well said! Fun not to be the only swede here :smile:
    Even though I'd like to have it since it's so different from a Swedish perspective.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,791 Member
    edited June 2022

I... don't see the point. Or rather I don't see the point in separating high school from middle school or the first years? Over here "high school" is definitely no different from any other year, it's just school, but I guess judging from American movies and TV shows it is a big deal over there? I guess?

Besides, having to micro manage teenagers between classes University style while they are still at home seems overwhelming to me, I can barely keep up with three sims period, even with sending them all off to rabbit hole jobs, and having to baby sit a teenager while trying to up skills and promotions for their parents seems to be a chore, and no fun at all.

I guess you could do it as a boarding school, but that is even less of an universal experience, usually reserved for the wealthy only and only in very very few countries at that.

University I get, by the times your Sim kids are YA, you usually move them to a new house and play them instead of their parents (at least I do that) so having them move to a dorm for a bit first is only logical and you don't have to juggle the rest of the family while you're there. But again my main issue with this is "Why high school?" at all? From a Swedish perspective the only real difference between grades 10 to 12 is that they aren't mandatory by unlike grades 1 to 9 so it is legal to quit school. That's it.

Over here, it's mostly broken down into 3 stages, grade school(K-6), middle school(7 & 8), and high school(9-12). Some people would say there's 4, with preschool added in, but preschool isn't mandatory as far as I know. That's also how a lot of people will reference a child's age group here, so-and-so has three grade schoolers, or they have their hands full they have two high schoolers. That's a little glimpse into how we break down the school age years here.

As far as the supposed EP goes, right now with just rumor to go on it sounds, meh. Teen content needs improvement, but from what I've read the main focus is to make school active. That's not really doing much for me personally. I will say it's interesting, but not as the main feature of a pack. There will be more to it, but the fact that was what is being leaked makes it feel like that is the big thing the pack offers. Why not put that in a larger Generations pack? Flesh out all the life stages from babies to teens and elders. Young adult and adult are well taken care of compared to those. I like to send the kiddos off to school alone like we do since that frees up some time for mom and dad to get skills built up or other tasks there are harder when the kids are on the lot.

Really for me now that I have my werewolves I'll be too immersed in them to care about the EP.😁 I'm happy that it will give people who want more gameplay and stuff for teens and younger something they've been wanting. I do have some saves where kids are a part, most are kid free, so there will be things in the EP that I can use. Still, what details have emerged don't make it sound very exciting. Too soon to say how I truly feel about it since it's only coming to light and there hasn't been any official word about it or anything in it.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited June 2022
    In my state there are three levels also, as @DaniRose2143 mentioned, but elementary school is K-5 and middle school is 6-8. School is definitely not as exciting as it looks on television. Mostly it is just going to class.

In my high school, back in the dark ages, we did have occasional periods dedicated to clubs, intermural sports, or a school assembly.

Clubs could be most anything from school newspaper, yearbook staff, academic clubs, Future Farmers of America, support type groups, etc. Band was actually an elective class. As were things like JROTC. Other activities like sports teams, band practice, cheerleading etc. were after school activities. There were two main school sponsored dances each year: Homecoming and Prom. The latter was limited to 11th and 12th graders, unless you were lucky enough to be invited as a date. School clubs could sponsor dances or parties as well. All of these school functions had to have chaperones.

Younger kids had sport teams, some clubs like 4-H, and very little else. (I lived in a rural area so 4-H was actually held during class time through 8th grade.) Nowadays I think middle schoolers also have dances or mixers.

Of course, kids got up to all kinds of things not related to school at all. Everything from socially approved things like Scouts and church youth group to things society didn't approve of in the least. Not that I would know about those....
    @telemwill Your story is so much like mine growing up. Same activities, clubs, everything except where they classified 6th grade. When I was in what is now middle school it was still called junior high here. The change in the name had been happening for awhile but the locals really hate change and fought against calling it middle school. Weird the things some people will choose to get so upset over.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    @telemwill Your story is so much like mine growing up. Same activities, clubs, everything except where they classified 6th grade. When I was in what is now middle school it was still called junior high here. The change in the name had been happening for awhile but the locals really hate change and fought against calling it middle school. Weird the things some people will choose to get so upset over.

When I was growing up it was still junior high too and also only 7th and 8th grade. My school was so small that my "junior high" was a hall in the elementary school. Then schools tended to be more neighborhood schools. But they were already building the high school I would attend which combined four schools into one county wide high school. So the year I went to high school was also the year our county adopted the middle school system. All the four previous high school buildings became middle schools overnight. I think our locals accepted it because with four high schools coming together the football team would be undefeated. 😂Which it mostly was until all the other nearby counties consolidated their schools.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2022

Curious, as when searching for "Sweden compulsory education" I got this:

In the Swedish school system, children go to school for at least ten years from the year they turn six, as mandated by the Swedish Education Act.

Compulsory schooling
    Swedish compulsory schooling consists of four stages: förskoleklass (‘preschool year’ or year 0), lågstadiet (years 1–3), mellanstadiet (years 4–6) and högstadiet (years 7–9).

Upper secondary school
    Gymnasium (upper secondary school, sixth form or high school, years 10–12) is optional.

Also, like in other EU countries, minimum legal age of employment is 16y/o.
    Happy simming!
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    if anything this EP should focus more on the after school activities and events like prom.
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    fae_brass wrote: »
    Do you think it is likely we'll get a patch updating teens to look more like teens? A little shorter but lanky looking. This is a prime opportunity to do it if they are going to.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this. I wish they looked younger too. But the fact is they would have to remake every animation a teen has in the game to do this, not to mention changing all the clothing to fit a shorter body.

I am using a height mod for my sims using the shortest version and they are fine with young adult clothes.
    11-07-21_5-18-55_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The biggest problem is seating. They clip deeper into seating because of their shorter legs.
    I don't mind them clipping into cushy fabric seating, but Clipping into wood chairs and benches looks odd.
    11-07-21_5-12-14_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But I've found that most animations are okay, especially animations where they are handling things.
    12-24-21_7-33-47_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I've played a bunch of them in my Hogwarts school of magic and they hold wands just fine.
    Plus she's wearing the butler's outfit from Vintage Glamor.
    01-01-22_1-49-00_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Guitar is fine.
    12-29-21_4-17-55_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Knitting is fine.
    12-29-21_4-17-34_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Working on homework is fine,
    12-27-21_3-43-36_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

sitting in the chair is not.
    12-27-21_3-44-14_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Meditation is NOT fine.
    12-24-21_8-05-14_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Umbrellas are generally okay, I did notice a slight shoulder clip for extreme movements.
    01-02-22_3-19-14_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Eating an apple... yeah.
    12-30-21_3-59-27_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Oddly enough, an adult doesn't even eat the apple.
    This is as close to her face that it gets before it disappears into her mouth. And she is eating it with the opposite hand. Hmm...
    06-06-22_9-28-44_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Teen to teen kiss is fine.
    06-06-22_9-04-11_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Teen to adult friendly hugs aren't horrible...
    06-06-22_9-32-39_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

..., but that's a deep hug.
    06-06-22_9-32-52_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So there are issues, but I don't believe they are as difficult as people are making them out to be.
    They would just need to copy the adult animations and adjust the more egregious ones.
    Actually, the biggest problem would be for simmers who like teens as they are.

I am happy with my mod because I have the sims that feel right to me.
    I can ignore the minor glitches I have seen and I can transfer more mature teen game play into the early part of the young adult stage while they are at Uni.

Oh that is interesting. I didn't even know about this mod. Good that the clothes fit. Obviously Maxis would have to go through every interaction in order to make sure there is no clipping, whereas a modder doesn't have to make those changes. Most of it looks pretty good though. That apple shot is disturbing but funny. :joy:

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
    telemwill wrote: »

When I was growing up it was still junior high too and also only 7th and 8th grade. My school was so small that my "junior high" was a hall in the elementary school. Then schools tended to be more neighborhood schools. But they were already building the high school I would attend which combined four schools into one county wide high school. So the year I went to high school was also the year our county adopted the middle school system. All the four previous high school buildings became middle schools overnight. I think our locals accepted it because with four high schools coming together the football team would be undefeated. 😂Which it mostly was until all the other nearby counties consolidated their schools.

Being in a hall in the elementary school would have been nice. Our junior high was in the same building as the high school. Yes, fun times being in 7th grade shoulder to shoulder with the high school seniors. You quickly developed 360° vision as a self defense mechanism. To this day I am keenly aware of people behind me because of that experience.🤣
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 440 Member
    I don't just want prom. I want all the coming of age celebrations. Quinceanera, bar mitzvah, sweet 16, pride prom.

I want puberty. Moodlets for embarrassing puberty stuff (that's still approved for a T video game) like first bra, voice squeaking, smelly armpits.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I hope all the houses built in this new high school world are 3 to 5+ bedrooms because a lot of these worlds aren't for big families.
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I hope all the houses built in this new high school world are 3 to 5+ bedrooms because a lot of these worlds aren't for big families.

what if its just a rabbithole activity?
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited June 2022
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    SnaveXs wrote: »

what if its just a rabbithole activity?

I mean the residential houses in the new world. I try to keep the houses they build but they don't be for big families. So, It being a high school pack. I would think the homes would be about 3+ bedrooms. They put a lot of 1 to 2 bedroom homes in the worlds.

Eco Lifestyle just have 1to 2 bedroom apartments. I would like an apartment complex that has 3 to 4 bedrooms for bigger families. In City Living the apartments with more than 3 bedrooms are fancy upper class looking. While the apartments in the poorer districts just have 1to2 bedrooms. So, That's why I would like some more apartments with 3+ bedrooms too.

Sulani isn't a place where you can raise big families. I had to bull doze a lot of those homes.
    Post edited by SnaveXs on
  • CybersbeCybersbe Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2022
    A pack based on high school does have potential as a way of expanding Teen gameplay. Teens currently are the most boring age in the game. (Toddlers and Children have unique interactions and activities, such as Voidcritters. And Adults already get the bulk of Sims 4 gameplay. Teens are too old to do children-exclusive activities, but too young to do most of the stuff adults get to do.)

A lot of stuff already suggested could be good. Interactive classes and clubs, and perhaps some more skills based on what you'd see in Teen-focused movies (bands, for example). I also think boarding schools and homeschooling (functioning as a "work from home" variant of school) could be good ideas.

I also have thought of the idea of Teens who've graduated High School being allowed to do certain actions normally only available to adult sims. Like certain careers. And also implementing some cross-pack compatibility with University, allowing high-school graduates to go to college.

I also can think of a few ways such a pack could expand gameplay in general. There could be an active Teacher career, and/or new careers based on the high-school clubs. In addition, since Teens can work part-time jobs, why not add active part-time careers to the game?
    edited June 2022
    Cybersbe wrote: »
    A pack based on high school does have potential as a way of expanding Teen gameplay. Teens currently are the most boring age in the game. (Toddlers and Children have unique interactions and activities, such as Voidcritters. And Adults already get the bulk of Sims 4 gameplay. Teens are too old to do children-exclusive activities, but too young to do most of the stuff adults get to do.)

A lot of stuff already suggested could be good. Interactive classes and clubs, and perhaps some more skills based on what you'd see in Teen-focused movies (bands, for example). I also think boarding schools and homeschooling (functioning as a "work from home" variant of school) could be good ideas.

I also have thought of the idea of Teens who've graduated High School being allowed to do certain actions normally only available to adult sims. Like certain careers. And also implementing some cross-pack compatibility with University, allowing high-school graduates to go to college.

I also can think of a few ways such a pack could expand gameplay in general. There could be an active Teacher career, and/or new careers based on the high-school clubs. In addition, since Teens can work part-time jobs, why not add active part-time careers to the game?

i just dont see part time jobs being active
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited June 2022
    If they do, do this, I hope it's not a teen version of University.
    I don't want to do the same game play for two age stages.

I wouldn't mind a large high school hidden lot that might have special activities, a class, or a lab, scheduled for particular days of the week that you can experience live, but most classes are rabbit holes in 3X speeds and you can play your sim in real time for the 5 or 30 minutes, or and hour of real time for gaps between classes, lunch breaks, study hall, etc. When I say real time, I mean our time, not sim time.

Something, I just don't want to repeat Uni game play twice for a sim.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »
    If they do, do this, I hope it's not a teen version of University.
    I don't want to do the same game play for two age stages.

I wouldn't mind a large high school hidden lot that might have special activities, a class, or a lab, scheduled for particular days of the week that you can experience live, but most classes are rabbit holes in 3X speeds and you can play your sim in real time for the 5 or 30 minutes, or and hour of real time for gaps between classes, lunch breaks, study hall, etc. When I say real time, I mean our time, not sim time.

Something, I just don't want to repeat Uni game play twice for a sim.

this is why im hoping its more of a genrations themed pack
  • CybersbeCybersbe Posts: 108 Member

I believe some of them could work. Granted, they probably wouldn't be anything too fancy, but considering the fairly short hours of part time jobs, that may not be too much of a problem.

Examples:

Babysitter: Works at the houses of clients who have children, taking care of them while the parents are out. May also be required to do other household tasks.

Barista: Works at bars, cafes, and/or restaurants, cleaning messes and making drinks.

Fast-Food Employeee: Pretty similar to Barista, except focuses on making food instead of drinks.

Lifeguard: Works at pools and/or beaches. Similar to the lifeguard job from the Sims 3. Patrols the area, and saves Sims who are drowning.

I do admittedly have problems figuring out the rest. Vehicles would have to be implemented for Manual Laborer, and unless some kind of "General Store" or similar lot type is implemented, I can't see Retail Worker working without Get To Work. Diver similarly wouldn't work without Island Paradise or another expansion that allows Ocean Swimming. (Whereas Lifeguard could realistically be reworked into a base game career if pools are made into a lot they can work at.) As for fisherman... isn't that just selling fish you catch normally?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member

I believe some of them could work. Granted, they probably wouldn't be anything too fancy, but considering the fairly short hours of part time jobs, that may not be too much of a problem.

Examples:

Babysitter: Works at the houses of clients who have children, taking care of them while the parents are out. May also be required to do other household tasks.

Barista: Works at bars, cafes, and/or restaurants, cleaning messes and making drinks.

Fast-Food Employeee: Pretty similar to Barista, except focuses on making food instead of drinks.

Lifeguard: Works at pools and/or beaches. Similar to the lifeguard job from the Sims 3. Patrols the area, and saves Sims who are drowning.

I do admittedly have problems figuring out the rest. Vehicles would have to be implemented for Manual Laborer, and unless some kind of "General Store" or similar lot type is implemented, I can't see Retail Worker working without Get To Work. Diver similarly wouldn't work without Island Paradise or another expansion that allows Ocean Swimming. (Whereas Lifeguard could realistically be reworked into a base game career if pools are made into a lot they can work at.) As for fisherman... isn't that just selling fish you catch normally?

Would be nice though to be able to keep fish fresh enough to sell it. Though I think I had a sim who cooked food with old fish and it still came out excellent quality. :lol:
  • MissNOFXMissNOFX Posts: 30 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'm... going to need other sources before I get excited. I'm sure the person who posted it is a very nice person who would never try to deceive the sims community (either Jovan or simmers as a whole) But I remain... skeptical.

I'm in this camp too. I need more verification before I get excited. So I will continue to bask in the Werewolves rollout for now.

I'm floating in this boat as well
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    @Beardedgeek I would rather there be something for toddlers, child, and teens rather an entire EP be dedicated to teens high-school. Though I am still intrigued of this.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    JestTru wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek I would rather there be something for toddlers, child, and teens rather an entire EP be dedicated to teens high-school. Though I am still intrigued of this.

Hopefully imo it's just a title but if its main focus is highschool hopefully kids and toddlers won't be entirely on the back burner because they need gameplay as well especially for kids when it comes to schooling like I would want them to participate in random school days like dress up in costume at school. They can also have different options to work as homework the regular homework and like work on skills to boost grade like I mentioned before. Also I would want them to incorporate more after school activities like the scouts club can boost grade have lower grades get kicked out of the club and many other clubs that can be added. Same thing with highschool with the activities.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2022
    I just now thought about it but highschool pack +werewolves = twilight 🙊
    And Lou reminds me of Jacob
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    There is a new scenario that challenges you to raise a kid from infancy (!) to their teenage years. I wonder if that's forshadowing a possible baby update in addition to a school EP.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited June 2022
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    Plumbeeb wrote: »
    I must be the only one who hates the idea of this. I played Discover University like one time, and while it was alright, I've never rushed to send my sims off to university again. I don't see myself getting much use out of another school focused pack, what a bummer.

I don’t want a high school pack either. I’m mostly a realism/family player, but I never play with teens. My families only have kids and toddlers that I never age up.

I am the opposite, I age up everyone asap until they become teens; toddlers and children are pointless to me.
    if anything this EP should focus more on the after school activities and events like prom.

Prom is not... a thing. Really. Over here. It's another thing we just see in High School movies and in TV series.
    Besides, it kinda feels like proms are the ultimate nightmare for bullied kid, ever.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek