Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Books that make you angry

I am sure I have many.

First one to come to mind is Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. Heathcliff is just an infuriating character!

Comments

• PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Yes, yes, and YES to everything you said. It is one of my all-time favourite books, and yet so enraging at the same time. It hurts to read, though.

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Plenty have disappointed, but angry is a hard one. I do get angry about injustice but not at the book itself. I guess I was mad at the author a few times when an ending was bad.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Plenty have disappointed, but angry is a hard one. I do get angry about injustice but not at the book itself. I guess I was mad at the author a few times when an ending was bad.

Yes, I think that's more the kind of thing I was thinking of (injustices etc) but I guess any reason for being angry at a book is worth discussing! I have on occasion felt irrationally annoyed when I read something that I just thought was utter rubbish, because it felt like a waste of time! :D I don't usually push on with such books, although occasionally I will.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2022
    I guess like others have pointed out, angry is a bit strong. Certainly have been frustrated, though. Any time the plot dies or the characters become too unlikeable I drop it as a waste of time. In fact, that is why it is so hard for me to commit to a fiction book anymore. The uncertainty if it will be worth my time and money is worse than a movie. At least with nonfiction I will at least learn something I can use later. Perhaps it is a bit fickle, but it is truly why I practically do not read them anymore.

I am blanking on the name of the last fiction book I read, but the premise was a world segregated by color. Certain ranks of nobility were allowed different colors. The lower your rank, the fewer colors you had. The world itself was actually kind of interesting. The main protagonist was of the lowest class. I remember she was an oddball and an orphan. It is a little fuzzy here if she could have advanced or not. She was young and had to participate in a ceremony to gift the king something to prove loyalty and fealty to the kingdom (yada yada), for sure, but I do not remember if this was typical of all youths or just those of that low class. I also do not remember the full extent of how bad that class was, but it seemed lower than peasant to my memory. Anyway, she gets the inspiration or divination to make a cloth of unimaginable colors not yet known for her gift to the king. The king locks her up for violating her class and honestly terrifying him (as you can imagine, quite the poor and corrupt ruler).

As for what was wrong with it, that protagonist I was interested in started sharing screen time with two others. The prince, which I could tolerate although his naivete got me a few times. Then his jealous fiancé that was a stereotypical minor antagonist that could not stand the prince's interest in her, no matter what it was rooted in. The end of the book was basically devoid of the character I even slightly cared about until she was killed off. Nothing resolved. The cloth beyond color was burned, I think. Destroyed someway or somehow, or at least was meant to be. The kingdom descends into chaos. If I remember correctly the prince inherits the throne. I am not sure where I stopped, honestly. All the intrigue I had for the significance of color in that world died with the original protagonist.

It was probably supposed to be some sort of metaphor or allegory of some sort of real life drama, but I was invested in the fictional concept. Lost in the forest due to my focus on the trees. When they burned down the trees to make me see that forest, I was done. I had no interest in the two "sequels" with apparently tenuous at best connections with the first.

Edit: I found the name: Auralia's Colors. Apparently there actually were three sequels. It has been so long since I read this thing, but I can see why I tried it. The description is interesting, but I cannot imagine giving it another chance.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Can so relate with your the on the sense of risking my time with badly written fiction, @Calico45 ! And it is for that same reason that I almost never start a book of fiction anymore, too many dismal strike outs. Even purported classics can be a big "why?" Such as The Great Gatsby, I found I agreed with a criticism of that one by...oh I forget, it was maybe one of the Bronte sisters who skewered it and its author as half-baked and I felt vindicated in my own unworthy appraisal which amounted to the same.

Usually books that het to be called 'literature' have in their favor, good mastery of the language in which they are written, but that doesn't guarantee they didn't fall into notoriety for some purpose other than being an excellent read. Tastes vary, but I personally loathe an amateur, callow book with thin stereotypes and a completely predictable plot, no matter the wordsmithing. Also, when shock and horror are cheap ways to get a reaction and unnecessary otherwise. I don't like movies with gratuitous violence, and books are worse, as you noted, because they require a greater commitment of personal time. I feel cheated of that time if I take a risk and find it could have been better spent at almost anything else, even 'wasting time here on this forum is less a loss, because it gives more pleasure, than reading even one chapter of a regrettable book, and they seem the rule rather than the exception in modern literature.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,950 Member
    edited June 2022
    Quite frankly all of them
    at some point anyway
    what can I say I am just hotheaded sim at times
    maybe thats why I don't read too often
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    I suppose what I'm also wondering is what books (if any) have a storyline or character/s that make you angry with the things they do or the way they behave?
  • enskijenskij Posts: 31 Member
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but Little Women. Sure, it's an old book, but there literally was no conflict at all. It was so boring and frustrating to read. Another one that comes to mind is Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, it's just a cliché after cliché. I read both of these for school, one for my Finnish course and one for English, and I'll never read either one of them again.
    Just your average Finnish simmer
    ☆ she/her ☆
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    edited June 2022
    enskij wrote: »
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but Little Women. Sure, it's an old book, but there literally was no conflict at all. It was so boring and frustrating to read. Another one that comes to mind is Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, it's just a cliché after cliché. I read both of these for school, one for my Finnish course and one for English, and I'll never read either one of them again.

Are you me? I just read Little Women just a few weeks ago and it was such a slog. And the part where Jo marries the dude as old as her parents 🤢 I get that Louisa May Alcott was forced to have Jo marry by her publisher, but she could have married literally anyone else.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
    I read Little Women in my early teens. That was a very long time ago, I mean a really long time, and I do not remember the first thing about it. Not on jot. So clearly it left no impression!