Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you actively play sims 4, when did you start playing the sims?

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Sims 2 and 3 era (2004-2014) + Simsfreeplay

Going by this forum account, May 2013.

That must have been when I bought my first Sims 3 starter bundle (BaseGame & Late Night) thus automatically creating this account after the game was registered via my back then ladyfriend’s account which I’m actually still using to this day. I sort of hijacked her thing. My goodness this sounds all very complicated and dastardly, but it is. It is. Life IS complicated. And I’m dastardly.

I didn’t buy sims 4 until a year or so after its release? I found it to be rather flat looking, like a not fully rendered Pixar movie, plus I was having too much funsies with Sims 3 Supernatural and the Create a World Tool. Things changed. Things changed. In fact, I went to visit Sims 2 Land at one point and began to dabble in that game too. I started looking for the Sasquatch but I haven’t found him yet. That was about a year ago. No time. No time. I mean, yes I’ve got a bit of time but I have to make a choice on how to spend it.
    There’s so much to like, so much to love and so much to do.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)

I started playing the Sims1 about a year after it came out. At the time there were many point and click adventure games I used to play and after seeing the advert on the TV for the Sims1 in the UK I was not sure it was my kind of game, although I loved playing Sim City.

After reading many rave reviews and hearing how much fun the Sims1 was I decided to buy and see what all the fuss was about. I have never looked back. Other games took a back seat and I exclusively played the Sims 1

When they released the Sims2 I continued to play the Sims1 for sometime after. I was not sure about the aging they had introduced. Of course I didn't realise there were rewards to keep our Sims young at that time and when I found out I bought the game and the Sims1 took a back seat. The Sims 2 has been my favourite of all the four. I even bought and played the Sim Stories (3 stand alone games) which I thought was a wonderful introduction and cut down version, to new and old players of the Sims 2. It could be played on a laptop and had a guided story line before going into freeplay.

I got the Sims 3 when it came out but I struggled with the open world, although I thought it was fantastic. I loved the cars and the bicycles and riding into town, swimming down into the ocean to look for things and the animals. I like many aspects of the The Sims 3 but the constant zooming in and out and finding where to move to in the game made me dizzy, so I couldn't play for long. I probably haven't explored this game as much because of the open world. I really loved the World Adventures pack. I liked how the fishing and gardening was done in the game.

I started playing the Sims 4 when it came out but the base game was very basic when it first arrived. I did lose interest for sometime and was disappointed initially but since then there are many aspect to the Sims 4 I like.

I am still playing the Sims 4 and exploring all the game has to offer. When playing I do think back to the Sims 2 and how some of the wonderful things they had in Sims 2 and if added into the Sims 4 would make it more fun. The Sims 4 is now a very big game with all the packs and I struggle to find some direction at times. There is no lack of content or things to do but I find much of it can be dis-jointed, but on the whole I enjoy playing the Sims 4 these days.

I am now into my old age and retired and play the Sims 4 as much as I can, although it would never be as much as my Sims 2 days. I enjoyed playing many of the challenges talented fans had designed for the Sims 2, such as legacy, apocalypse, city and others. I enjoyed making tutorial stories for the Sims 2 and trying out all the Sims 2 had to offer back then; building houses and lots and even tried my hand at making a video. I found these things not so easy with the Sims3 and Sims4 and now it gets more difficult for me with the passing of time. I have played a legacy challenge with the Sims 4 but have not tried any others. I think the way the Sims 2 was designed it was a lot of fun to try out those kind of challenges.

Happy Simming

• HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    Started in early 2000s .. so much has changed since then
  • John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    cyncie wrote: »
    I'm surprised we're so overwhelmingly from the olden days, and so far no-one hails from the full decade of Sims 2-3.

I'll also posit: the Sims 4 has been out now for a hundred years, and has frustrated its users in a range of ways, so people who still play it in 2022 may do so for partly nostalgic reasons.

See, I guess I don’t understand this. Sure, the game is frustrating. But so were the others, just in different ways. I could never create and play the kind of characters I wanted to play in Sims 2. That was frustrating enough that I quit trying. Sims 3 was laggy as heck and the routing problems, while hilariously funny at times, were tremendously aggravating. None of the games have been perfect. If people are only playing this iteration out of nostalgia, I would suggest they have been looking at the past games through rose colored lenses.

What I miss from the early versions is the character development was more fulfilling. Sims 4 is more routine and almost mundane with the same kinds of actions with every character and the same interactions between them. Sims 2 for example had some really funny moments as well as some really serious ones. One of my characters, for example, turned out to be a deadbeat dad and got kicked out after the baby was given up for adoption because he was busy partying instead of providing for the child. Seriously!

My bro had a Sim that was a terrible cook. She invited her neighbors for a cookout and ended up burning everything down instead. She was invited out for dinner by her boyfriend but wouldn't even eat and all she did was cry the whole time.

We don't see that kind of thing occur at that level like that in Sims 4. It's sadly become shallow and blah in some ways unless we force a situation to occur.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I'm surprised we're so overwhelmingly from the olden days, and so far no-one hails from the full decade of Sims 2-3.

I'll also posit: the Sims 4 has been out now for a hundred years, and has frustrated its users in a range of ways, so people who still play it in 2022 may do so for partly nostalgic reasons.

See, I guess I don’t understand this. Sure, the game is frustrating. But so were the others, just in different ways. I could never create and play the kind of characters I wanted to play in Sims 2. That was frustrating enough that I quit trying. Sims 3 was laggy as heck and the routing problems, while hilariously funny at times, were tremendously aggravating. None of the games have been perfect. If people are only playing this iteration out of nostalgia, I would suggest they have been looking at the past games through rose colored lenses.

What I miss from the early versions is the character development was more fulfilling. Sims 4 is more routine and almost mundane with the same kinds of actions with every character and the same interactions between them. Sims 2 for example had some really funny moments as well as some really serious ones. One of my characters, for example, turned out to be a deadbeat dad and got kicked out after the baby was given up for adoption because he was busy partying instead of providing for the child. Seriously!

My bro had a Sim that was a terrible cook. She invited her neighbors for a cookout and ended up burning everything down instead. She was invited out for dinner by her boyfriend but wouldn't even eat and all she did was cry the whole time.

We don't see that kind of thing occur at that level like that in Sims 4. It's sadly become shallow and blah in some ways unless we force a situation to occur.

actually it sometimes happens i had a female detective she started dinner then went and took a nap.while the food was on the stove a fire started . she got up looked at the fire then went back to her nap in her bedroom it was before firefighters so 20 minutes later she died.
  • John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)

actually it sometimes happens i had a female detective she started dinner then went and took a nap.while the food was on the stove a fire started . she got up looked at the fire then went back to her nap in her bedroom it was before firefighters so 20 minutes later she died.

Yeah, the sad but funny things the AI did, but it's rare that that happens today. I had only one incident recently which I would call funny-sad. One of my Sims owned a restaurant with a poor floor layout and couldn't serve the guests well. One of the customers got so mad he died because he wasn't served right away. I then had my Sim collect his urn and bring it to his family. The situation played out interesting, but it wasn't the same as the old days where these things happened more often. Most of the time it's the usual routine.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Yeah, the sad but funny things the AI did, but it's rare that that happens today. I had only one incident recently which I would call funny-sad. One of my Sims owned a restaurant with a poor floor layout and couldn't serve the guests well. One of the customers got so mad he died because he wasn't served right away. I then had my Sim collect his urn and bring it to his family. The situation played out interesting, but it wasn't the same as the old days where these things happened more often. Most of the time it's the usual routine.

well more recently a sim of mine and his girlfriend whooed on top of his napping brother i know i told that story just not sure where .
  • henry2818henry2818 Posts: 1 New Member
    I started playing during the late Sims 3 era, just before the Sims 4 came out. My uncle introduced me to it, knowing I was already an avid SimCity 4 fan.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited February 2022
    It seems just like yesterday back in 2011. I've always heard about the Sims, but I began watching some YouTube videos and I increasingly became interested. I finally bought The Sims 3 and I started to build a somewhat sizable house. Too bad I ran out of money and only had a foundation, some walls, cheap Grey rugs, and cheap appliances. I didn't get too far so eventually I did a motherlode and I built my dream house. The sky was the limit. I created my family and distant relatives. That was a lot of fun!

Eventually I got into The Sims 2, which was pretty similar, although a gem of its own. To this day the homework requirement and aspirations (wants and fears) drive me nuts. The characters seem very lively in this game with so many interactions. It's remarkable how much content was included in that old game.
  • DollhouseCompanyDollhouseCompany Posts: 35 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I have been playing since the first game . I will always play sims 4 . Even after sims 5 . But I still look forward to future sims games .
  • hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    Well, I've just found out by Googling that I knew about The Sims games in 2007 but it can't have been Sims3 as I'd previously assumed, it was Sims2. I'd visited my ex and I think her brother was playing it on the family PC, and when I asked what it was, my ex showed me the game later that evening. I think that's how it happened. But I didn't personally play Sims2, I played Sims3. I didn't really enjoy it at the time but I'd like to install it again to remind myself of it.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    Started playing TS1 late'ish 2001. Had played SimCity before that, though.
  • gemmawonggemmawong Posts: 3 New Member
    Been playing sims since primary school, it was The Sims 2 and I play it on PS2 :D
  • Outlaw937Outlaw937 Posts: 1 New Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    > @Imagebear said:
    > The purpose of the poll is to see where the majority of active player base came from, and discuss what this mean for the future of the franchise and some decision EA made recently.
    >
    > Choose the timing that fit you, the text is just monuments of what happened in that period of time.
    >
    > Okay. According to the comments, this poll is heavily bias and also people either refused to vote or voting the wrong option.
    >
    > In conclusion the results is not accurate representation of the player base.
    >
    > The poll on the reddit:
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/se18yb/for_people_who_manly_play_sims_4_when_did_you/
    > It has more people participate. The results is similar somehow.

I have bought every game in the Sims series only to be more disappointed each pack I bought..I loved Sims 2 and its been a major disappointment ever since they dropped the game..I will not spend another penny on Sims again unless they bring back Sims 2 or A REALLY GOOD EQUIVALENT
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The biginning of Sims 4 (2014-2018)
    Out of the wide array of Simmers I'd be considered one of the "newbies", only truly playing my first Sims game in September(?) of 2017, but I had been following the series on and off since at least the Sims 2 when I was more understood about the franchise. I played SimCity 4(?) back in the day using my stepdad's game, and knew about the Sims from there, but my stepdad didn't allow me to play Sims 2 because he said, "It's an adult game" and that was the end of that. Time went on and I gradually didn't pay attention to the franchise up until early 2017 when I encountered news about the Sims 3 and it brought me back. I was looking to purchase 3 until I learned that there was actually a 4th installment already out that I had no idea about and began to learn more about it from watching a Youtuber I was following at the time to watch his LP's of Cities: Skylines (the true successor to SimCity) had a Let's Play for City Living, and soon after I bought the basegame and later one after that, a few packs to expand my game, and the rest is history.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Lady EmeraldLady Emerald Posts: 18 Member
    I began playing when TS4 came out :)
  • AaleynAaleyn Posts: 293 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started playing The Sims in 2001. I knew about the game already in 2000:
    I remember that one day I was in a store, checking out the game department (I have always loved playing video games and I had been playing many different games), and then I saw The Sims in there and I found it very intriguing. I would have wanted to get it right away, but I couldn't because that time we didn't have a computer (I was 14).
    Later (still in 2000) I was able to try and play The Sims for the first time when I was visiting my cousin, who had the game on their family's computer. I loved it and I was immediately hooked.
    I still had to wait for some time to be able to buy the game, but luckily in 2001 my parents bought a computer and I finally got The Sims. I was so happy.

I then started playing The Sims 2 in December 2004. Since then I only played The Sims 2 and I continued to play it untill August 2017 (during those years I did have some breaks from playing the game due to being busy IRL, and also some computer issues in between).
    I loved The Sims 2 and I have almost all of the expansion packs for it (as dics). For the latest years I was playing it on my old laptop, and I wasn't able to use all of the packs in it.
    In August 2017 I bought a good gaming laptop and that is the time I started playing The Sims 4. Since then I have only been playing The Sims 4 and I love it.
    I skipped The Sims 3, because it just isn't for my liking.
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started playing The Sims back during Sims 1. I got the game after hearing about it from a friend on an AOL chat room (she has since passed away due to problems associated with her disability). I have played all 4 versions (Sims 3 and 4 briefly). I keep going back to Sims 2 because of the replay value of the game. Each save I load in a different town is different so I never know exactly what will happen as far as relationships.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2022
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    Aye I'm old, got my first wrinkle and everything ....wanna see ? 🤣
  • Mazikeen_Smith6Mazikeen_Smith6 Posts: 5 New Member
    Started back in 2008/2009 til this day, my 11 month old LOOOOVES the sims music when starting up, I even have my kids loving it 🤣🤣
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    I don't mainly play the sims 4.
    I don't play The Sims 4, even though I paid $70 USD for it :o (same with SimCity 2013). I mainly play The Sims 3. Anyways, I started playing The Sims with The Sims 1 in the year 2000.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started with the original, moved to The Sims 2, and stayed with that until I switched to The Sims 4. It was mostly Windows 10 that forced me to move on, to be honest, and the sims in 3 just looked too much alike for me to get into it.
  • TawkTawk Posts: 23 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started when Sim games were new.
    However, I stopped for many years after Sims Online was taken down.
    But came back a few years ago after I seen how great Sims 4 is.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started with the original, moved to The Sims 2, and stayed with that until I switched to The Sims 4. It was mostly Windows 10 that forced me to move on, to be honest, and the sims in 3 just looked too much alike for me to get into it.

Bingo! I do 2 & 4, depending on mood as each can do things the other can't. You nailed one of my main issues with TS3, they all look alike no matter how much you try to tweak them. That and they look muddy.
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    I actually LOVE seeing that the majority of simmers are loyal, long term simmers! What a beautiful thing!