Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Fit The Sims 4 Unique Playerbase?

Comments

• KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited May 2022
    No. I'm part of the remaining 40%.
    I'm a dude who barely remembers 24, and I'm 29.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Nope, I left that age group during the sims 2 era.

I wonder if what the result of this poll would be on twitter. Or even more relevant, what the result would be if they asked this question in the games main menu. It might be 3 different results.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2022
    I wasn't even in that age group when TS1 came out. I think I was 26 when that was released.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I’m one of the 95% of the 40% unique players that aren’t part of the 60% unique player base.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    A recent (Sept 2021) Maxis job listing for a Senior Game Designer describes the game's "very unique playerbase" and proudly proclaims that 60% of The Sims 4's audience is women between the ages of 18 and 24. Of course, it mentions this for a reason, asking for applicants to have "deep insights" into creating the best experience for its unique playerbase.
    https://gamerant.com/sims-4-players-majority-young-women/

Do you fit into this unique playerbase?

They keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    I'm not surprised that the poll is giving totally different results, as forums nowadays are generally used by the older generation!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    A recent (Sept 2021) Maxis job listing for a Senior Game Designer describes the game's "very unique playerbase" and proudly proclaims that 60% of The Sims 4's audience is women between the ages of 18 and 24. Of course, it mentions this for a reason, asking for applicants to have "deep insights" into creating the best experience for its unique playerbase.

With everyone being able to self identify as whatever gender they prefer, I do wonder if they affect these statistics in any significant way.
    crocobaura wrote: »

With everyone being able to self identify as whatever gender they prefer, I do wonder if they affect these statistics in any significant way.

It's certainly possible. Regardless, I consider these kinds of statistics not particularly helpful, at least not to actual players.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    It suddenly occurred to me that the age window of the player base is so narrow, that those players who were within the 18 to 24 year range at the launch of this game, is now too old. A six year range of players ages for an 8 year old game. It feels weird that everyone who was already an adult at the launch of the sims 4 is no longer considered their main target audience.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    It suddenly occurred to me that the age window of the player base is so narrow, that those players who were within the 18 to 24 year range at the launch of this game, is now too old. A six year range of players ages for an 8 year old game. It feels weird that everyone who was already an adult at the launch of the sims 4 is no longer considered their main target audience.

Exactly, it feels like the people that played the sims4 from the beginning are no longer their target audience with that statement. I remember feeling that with some promotions they had a couple of years ago where they worked together with people that I had never heard of.

Or when they are trying to promote features that have been in the game for 8 years as new.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I was never in that demographic with regards to this game. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I am female, but I will be 50 this year so don't fit into the apparent demographic they're quoting.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    But it actually was me 20 yrs ago! Guess it's an accurate demographic, then :D
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    The age is right, the gender is wrong.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am guessing this is the demographic from which they are trying to recruit new players.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I am female, but in my forties ;)
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I love this thread. I thought for a long time that I was much older than others on the forum but now I feel quite at home.

Thank you
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited May 2022
    I am a female, but I am way past that age group. I was 21 (almost 22) when the franchise got started in the first place. I am now 43 (44 in September) lol
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2022
    I have concert t-shirts that are thrice the age of the target demographic.... :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    I would love to know how they've collected this data. I mean if they don't ask in the game how would they know? They may have a birth date and gender option in the Origin account; I can't remember. But people often lie on those things, so.. If they took a poll the results would be based totally on where the poll was posted.

Until they ask it IN game, they need to not assume they know anything about this.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2022

Unfortunately, no. 30+ here; they should extend their age range as I know I'm not the only "older" woman who still plays the game. That's not going by this forum alone either but players that aren't on the forum too. Lots of 30+ year olds do as that was the intended age group it was aimed (as far as I know, it was certainly the "in" thing to be playing at that time) at when the franchise was released.

Things have obviously changed demographic wise but I think they're somewhat limiting their "deep insights" if this is the age range that they're sticking to.

Sorry; I realise I probably sound a bit bitter but the age limit thing is just a bit daft..
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I'm a man and I'm 29, well, 29b, err, 29u.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2022

It's certainly possible. Regardless, I consider these kinds of statistics not particularly helpful, at least not to actual players.

I'd argue that "self identification" is actually helpful to a company. I used to do surveys for gift cards and put in my genetic gender during signup, only to get showered with topics I had little to nothing to say about or to get kicked during the screening process already. When I started "lying" and put my "chosen" gender, suddenly the shoe fit. In the end a company wants to sell me stuff, so they benefit from my "lies" because they can now target me with ads for products I might actually buy.
    edited June 2022

I'd argue that "self identification" is actually helpful to a company. I used to do surveys for gift cards and put in my genetic gender during signup, only to get showered with topics I had little to nothing to say about or to get kicked during the screening process already. When I started "lying" and put my "chosen" gender, suddenly the shoe fit. In the end a company wants to sell me stuff, so they benefit from my "lies" because they can now target me with ads for products I might actually buy.

Oh, I didn't mean that self-identifying was unhelpful to the player. I meant that I don't think that vague statistics like the ones being discussed are particularly helpful in general to the players themselves. One can't really learn much from such simplistic-seeming numbers, at least not without knowing the full background of how and why they were gathered.

If we were to go by just the narrow range in the demographic in question, it could seem as if they think all young women between those ages all like and dislike the same things in a Sims game, but surely they don't really think that. We hope. I'm not in this demographic (never have been), but I wouldn't want a company to assume that I like the same things as everyone else in my demographic, for example, because I very often don't. I'm sure marketing companies hate people like me. I get ads all the time that mostly make no sense for my actual interests, so of course I buy their products less often than others might. :lol:
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Well, I'm now in my thirties, but when I started playing the game I was in my teens and was in the stereotypical base, for the most part. I hit 18 while TS2 was ongoing.
    OO2UdmJ.png