Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Object can't be moved or deleted

There is this big black oval shape on the kitchen floor of my Sims house. I'm not sure what it is but it won't let me move it or delete it because it says whatever it is in use. How do I get rid of this from my Sims kitchen floor?

Comments

• Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Hold down shift when you click on the object and then click delete :) This happens sometimes but I can't remember the reason why, sorry. I know someone has posted about it before so if you search the forums, you might be able to find out more!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited May 2022
    I have made a video about this. It is usually food. Every time I look at it I find an apple. It is a very common occurence. Some of my sjms get 4 or 5 of them in a single room. Although the food is usually just a small dark spot in the middle of a tile. You might have a social jig. If you can see it then shift click object delete should get rid of it. I think you can use NRAAS Master Controller to delete non inventory items. Just look for items containing the word jig.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    Simmer2500Simmer2500 Posts: 247 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I have made a video about this. It is usually food. Every time I look at it I find an apple. It is a very common occurence. Some of my sjms get 4 or 5 of them in a single room. Although the food is usually just a small dark spot in the middle of a tile. You might have a social jig. If you can see it then shift click object delete should get rid of it. I think you can use NRAAS Master Controller to delete non inventory items. Just look for items containing the word jig.

Well, I suspect it could be dirty dishes but I can't see what it is since it's an oval dark spot on the floor. Also, my Sims family have decided that they can't use their dishwasher anymore and keep washing all of the dishes in the bathroom sinks now. I tried putting a new dishwasher in to see if they would use the dishwasher again but they still won't use it. I don't use mods in my game but I will try the shift click and delete object that you suggested and see if it will let me delete it off the floor.

• Options
    StephSteb wrote: »
    Hold down shift when you click on the object and then click delete :) This happens sometimes but I can't remember the reason why, sorry. I know someone has posted about it before so if you search the forums, you might be able to find out more!

Thanks. I will try that and see if it will let me delete it off the floor.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Simmer2500 wrote: »

If it is proving stubborn to get rid of, you might have success if you go into BuyDebug and try to delete it that way. It sounds like a social jig to me and they are usually invisible but sometimes you can see them. They are supposed to automatically get deleted when sims stop interacting on the spot. But if the interaction is interrupted the jigs can be left behind. They are there to stop other sims from walking through sims that are interacting in some way.

I recently saw this huge social jig in one of my games. Fortunately it was deleted by the game when this pair of sims stopped throwing the ball to each other.

ImpressiveBigJig.jpg

Mostly the jigs are oval shapes from two sims standing and talking to each other.
  • Options

If it is proving stubborn to get rid of, you might have success if you go into BuyDebug and try to delete it that way. It sounds like a social jig to me and they are usually invisible but sometimes you can see them. They are supposed to automatically get deleted when sims stop interacting on the spot. But if the interaction is interrupted the jigs can be left behind. They are there to stop other sims from walking through sims that are interacting in some way.

I recently saw this huge social jig in one of my games. Fortunately it was deleted by the game when this pair of sims stopped throwing the ball to each other.

ImpressiveBigJig.jpg

Mostly the jigs are oval shapes from two sims standing and talking to each other.

Oh, I see. Whatever it is though it said I couldn't move it because it was in use. But what's BuyDebug mode? I've never used that before. If the shift click and delete doesn't work and I try BuyDebug then do I just type that in the cheat box window?
  • Options
    BuyDebug sometimes makes them show up when they are invisible. They are usually invisible.

You might need to find what sim is using it and reset them.

BuyDebug will reveal an entire new treasure trove of goodies you can add to your game. The way to get into it is in two steps.

Firstly, you must be in cheat mode and enter TestingCheatsEnabled True cheat.

Then go back into cheat mode and enter BuyDebug On and hit enter.

Then go into buy mode.

When in buy mode click on the icon to Sort by Function (the default is usually Sort by Room).

This will reveal an additional square button above the blue dashboard. It has a big ? in the middle of it.

Click the big ? to get into BuyDebug mode and explore.

The thing is when you are in buydebug mode some invisible things in your game are revealed to you. For example if there are any spawners on your lot you will see them. Sometimes you can also see these social jigs if they are invisible in normal mode. But often they stay hidden. The only sure way I know of to get rid of social jigs is using Master Controller or resetting the lot. Master Controller will remove them even when they are invisible. When they are invisible you can see your sim can no longer use the floor in the affected location but you can't see any problem with it. When that happens go into BuyDebug and sometimes they become visible and can be deleted. But often they stay invisible and then it's a job for Master Controller or resetting the lot.

Another thing I just thought of is about the spawners. They can usually just be deleted by clicking onto them and deleting them but sometimes they are in use and can't be deleted. That happens when something has spawned. You can tell when something has spawned because the white box in the middle of the spawner is totally white. They usually have a picture of the type of thing that can spawn on the white box. That won't help you with your social jig though.

Something that should work would be to reset the lot. To do this you need to be brave and

evict your household to the clipboard.

Then save the house to the library.

Then bulldoze the house from the lot.

Then replace the house by placing the house saved to the library onto the lot and finally, move your household from the clipboard and place them into the fresh version of the house.

That should get rid of anything that is being a problem as you are effectively giving them a new house. Any temporary thing that got generated during game play ought to vanish. All of their belongings will stay in the house.

You can reset the lot in a much less stressful way if you have Master Controller installed as it has a menu option to reset a lot.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I often type "moveobjects on" to delete items that display that notice they are being interacted with. (That requires typing "testingcheatsenabled true" and hitting "enter" first and of course typing "moveobjects off" and "testingcheatsenabled false" after deleting the object, which all need the cntl-shift-c keys pressed together at the same time to bring up the cheat window.)
  • Options
    Yes, buydebug is a special menu in your buy options where you can buy things like rewards and stuff you get from the game but it doesn't normally show up in regular buy mode. You type "buydebug" into the cheat window and a section with a ? will pop up and you can open it. I'm not sure if it will work to delete that jig thing, the shift delete normally works for me but it's worth a try! To close buydebug you pull up the cheat window again and type "buydebug off" (without quotes) and it will close :)
  • Options
    Yes, buydebug is a special menu in your buy options where you can buy things like rewards and stuff you get from the game but it doesn't normally show up in regular buy mode. You type "buydebug" into the cheat window and a section with a ? will pop up and you can open it. I'm not sure if it will work to delete that jig thing, the shift delete normally works for me but it's worth a try! To close buydebug you pull up the cheat window again and type "buydebug off" (without quotes) and it will close :)

Oh, I see. I tried the shift click and delete one first and it didn't work and wouldn't let me delete it. I also tried typing buydebug in the cheat box window just like you wrote it and also tried with it upper case in the cheat box window and it didn't work for some reason and said it didn't know this.
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    I often type "moveobjects on" to delete items that display that notice they are being interacted with. (That requires typing "testingcheatsenabled true" and hitting "enter" first and of course typing "moveobjects off" and "testingcheatsenabled false" after deleting the object, which all need the cntl-shift-c keys pressed together at the same time to bring up the cheat window.)

Oh, okay. I'll try this and see if it works. Do you type moveobjects on first or testingcheatsenabled true first or does it matter?
  • Options

Oh, I see. I tried the shift click and delete one first and it didn't work and wouldn't let me delete it. I also tried typing buydebug in the cheat box window just like you wrote it and also tried with it upper case in the cheat box window and it didn't work for some reason and said it didn't know this.

That's weird. Hmmm. Maybe type testingCheatsenabled true first in the cheat window hit enter pull up the cheat window again and try buydebug maybe? Weird that shift click didn't work, too. Definitely try the other stuff, then. Sorry I am no help, lol <3
  • Options
    BuyDebug sometimes makes them show up when they are invisible. They are usually invisible.

You might need to find what sim is using it and reset them.

BuyDebug will reveal an entire new treasure trove of goodies you can add to your game. The way to get into it is in two steps.

Firstly, you must be in cheat mode and enter TestingCheatsEnabled True cheat.

Then go back into cheat mode and enter BuyDebug On and hit enter.

Then go into buy mode.

When in buy mode click on the icon to Sort by Function (the default is usually Sort by Room).

This will reveal an additional square button above the blue dashboard. It has a big ? in the middle of it.

Click the big ? to get into BuyDebug mode and explore.

The thing is when you are in buydebug mode some invisible things in your game are revealed to you. For example if there are any spawners on your lot you will see them. Sometimes you can also see these social jigs if they are invisible in normal mode. But often they stay hidden. The only sure way I know of to get rid of social jigs is using Master Controller or resetting the lot. Master Controller will remove them even when they are invisible. When they are invisible you can see your sim can no longer use the floor in the affected location but you can't see any problem with it. When that happens go into BuyDebug and sometimes they become visible and can be deleted. But often they stay invisible and then it's a job for Master Controller or resetting the lot.

Another thing I just thought of is about the spawners. They can usually just be deleted by clicking onto them and deleting them but sometimes they are in use and can't be deleted. That happens when something has spawned. You can tell when something has spawned because the white box in the middle of the spawner is totally white. They usually have a picture of the type of thing that can spawn on the white box. That won't help you with your social jig though.

Something that should work would be to reset the lot. To do this you need to be brave and

evict your household to the clipboard.

Then save the house to the library.

Then bulldoze the house from the lot.

Then replace the house by placing the house saved to the library onto the lot and finally, move your household from the clipboard and place them into the fresh version of the house.

That should get rid of anything that is being a problem as you are effectively giving them a new house. Any temporary thing that got generated during game play ought to vanish. All of their belongings will stay in the house.

You can reset the lot in a much less stressful way if you have Master Controller installed as it has a menu option to reset a lot.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. I did type in BuyDebug into the cheat box window but it didn't work. But, I didn't know that I had to type that testingcheatenabled true one in first so maybe that's probably why it didn't work. How do you exit out of the cheat box window after you type in the first one so I can go back into the cheat box window to type in the BuyDebug one? Hopefully this will work so I don't have to do all that resetting stuff but I guess if it doesn't then I'll try that.
  • Options
    You need to do
    Ctrl Shift C
    TestingCheatsEnabled True
    Enter

BEFORE

Ctrl Shift C
    you do BuyDebug On
    Enter

See what I wrote above about resetting the lot.
  • Options
    You need to do
    Ctrl Shift C
    Enter

BEFORE

Ctrl Shift C
    you do BuyDebug On
    Enter

I know how to open the cheat box window but I didn't know I was suppose to put the testingcheatsenabled true in first. So, I had just tried putting the BuyDebug part in and it didn't work so it stayed in the cheat box window. I didn't know how to exit out of the cheat box window after it didn't work and thought if I typed exit it would close the cheat box window but it didn't so I just typed the cheat code kaching that I know which adds 1000 Simoleons to the household funds just to get the cheat box window to close. I guess the cheat box window probably closes right after if what you typed into it works.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    You need to do
    Ctrl Shift C
    Enter

BEFORE

Ctrl Shift C
    you do BuyDebug On
    Enter

I know how to open the cheat box window but I didn't know I was suppose to put the testingcheatsenabled true in first. So, I had just tried putting the BuyDebug part in and it didn't work so it stayed in the cheat box window. I didn't know how to exit out of the cheat box window after it didn't work and thought if I typed exit it would close the cheat box window but it didn't so I just typed the cheat code kaching that I know which adds 1000 Simoleons to the household funds just to get the cheat box window to close. I guess the cheat box window probably closes right after if what you typed into it works.

You can get out of the cheat window by hitting "escape" on your keyboard.

• Options
    You need to do
    Ctrl Shift C
    Enter

BEFORE

Ctrl Shift C
    you do BuyDebug On
    Enter

You can get out of the cheat window by hitting "escape" on your keyboard.

Oh, okay. Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Thanks everyone for the help. I decided to try the testingcheatsenabled true and moveobjects on one first and see if that would work. It turned out to be one of those social jig things. After I put in the moveobjects on and went into the buy mode I was able to select it and delete it. It was on the floor next to the dishwasher and counter which explains why my Sims couldn't use the dishwasher but now that I deleted it my Sims have been able to use the dishwasher again.