Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Makes You Re-Start?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited May 2022
    Because I miss the original premade sims at the start of the game.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Reasons for a Restart:
    • The current challenge I'm playing is complete.
    • Discovered I've accidentally broke the rules of a challenge after playing and saving for a length of time. However, only if I can't fix the mistake with cheats.
    • Started a save in the wrong custom template.
    • Forgot to change the gameplay options and/or Mod settings for a particular save.
    • When testing a new challenge idea doesn't work out and needs to be tweaked.

I think that's it. I'm not counting when something drastic happens due to a glitch/bug. I simply don't save in that case and hope I haven't lost too much gameplay as a result.
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I usually restart out of boredom or because MCCC, and now NS, made my game all wonky and I can’t be bothered to fix it. But I love my current family so much that I don’t want to restart even though the save itself is a HOT MESS. Everyone will just have to live with the chaos that I inadvertently caused 😂
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    If I like a family but the save is a mess I just transfer them to a new save.

I recently did a rotation filled with all the sims I had ever played.

I am currently re-starting to try out a rotation of every single scenario released. Since most of them are for single sims I thought it would be a good place to start some new generations. I don't think I've ever started with so many single sims before.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    I was faithful in the beginning then lost my save due to a computer meltdown. Went into re-startitus (lol) for awhile.

Now I am back at it again. My selfsim has aged much better than me though. :/

I also have been doing scenarios on separate saves for those days when i don't have a lot of time or energy to put into my main Sim.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    Restart itis is a great way to put what I have. There are lots of reasons I restart, but the main three are 1) Starting a new legacy and becoming generally unhappy about either the legacy starter or the subsequent generations 2) I do get to gen 3 or 4 or 5 (that's the longest I've lasted) and it all starts to feel a little out of control--too many siblings having too many kids and the rotational play just getting out of hand and 3) I'm very OCD about the worlds themselves. I'm not a builder but I do like to replace each and every lot with what I consider the perfect replacement for that lot. And as more and more of my favorite builders release better and better lots, it gets to a point where I almost want to start over to create the perfect worlds.

I do finally think I've solved at least #1. I created a 1st gen legacy starter sim I like so much that I only ever want to kick things off with her. I saved her to my library and uploaded her to the gallery just to be extra safe. (I must have done a good job on her because she's my most popular download). So far I've only restarted her once since I created her, and that was because of problem #3--the world wasn't perfect enough for her.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Only restarts I've done is from my sims accidentally dying because I forgot to pause the game and trying out a Scenario to see if it'll work with my main files.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Re-startitis is a great name for it. I have it for sure, and always have. I don't know how many times I'd restart in all my previous sim games. Now with S4... oh, yeah I've still got it. I think the main reason I will restart because I'm bored and want to do something different, using a fresh new game. I'm fighting the urge to start one and fill it with Tiny Houses. But I know that won't work because my sims always need more stuff. :D Still, it is tempting...

Once I decided I've deleted too many lots and decided I wanted the old houses back - since I'd deleted lots in several different worlds it was easier to just start a new save. I deleted a save because I forgot to disable the Eco Lifestyle stuff - I'd only played that one for an hour or so, so I had to start again. I started a new save especially for Cottage Living intending to put cottages and farms everywhere - that save has fizzled lately. I've got another couple of saves that I haven't touched in a while...they may be going away, unless I can find a valid reason to keep them. It seems that every time I decide I have too many save games and delete several, I suddenly have a valid reason to start a new one. I apparently am constitutionally unable to have just one (or two LOL) saves.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I did before, whenever I was like oh I should've done that.

But I don't re-start now. Like, so much important things and events already happened to my sim's life so I don't really want to do them all over again to another sim.

If I do get bored with them, I just briefly play another save (maybe her distant relative or some other neighbor lol) or in other words I just rotational play.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    edited May 2022
    Not for me, because once I start rethinking that, then I start rethinking every other detail, and that brings my OCD into it...and re-startitus.
    This sounds exactly like me!

And I don't know if came through in my original post as well as it could, but even after I start I may find something with a lot I don't like and if isn't an easy fix, the lot and the save go in the bin. I am super picky about lots. That's my OCD in action.🙂
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I am the opposite. I literally could never restart my game. Been playing the same save since 2014! Of course I use SAVE AS constantly to avoid ever losing my game. My families are very interconnected and I often bulldoze lots and move people around. If I want some fresh blood for the stories I add from the gallery. I could never stick to a brand new save!!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    I started my rotational save at launch and re-started in 2016, 2018 and 2022. But I always have between one and three side saves that aren't meant to last, that's why I consider myself a serial restarter regardless.

The side saves use always the same pool of sims: The Windenburg premades, a small collection of Maxis gallery sims and since 2018 also my Detroit sims. I'm very attaced to this bunch and enjoy playing them in different parallel universes. Tossing the same old sims into vastly different circumstances brings out aspects of their personalities that they'd probably never shown me otherwise.

My reason for starting over my rotational saves was in each case too much change. I don't like playing generationally, aging is off and time progresses very slowly. But even so, at some point the first generation is gone, and the story has progressed from struggling to pay the bills to most, if not all, of my sims being in positions where they can dictate global politics. Then it's time to reset.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    edited May 2022
    Before I started playing Sims I played Civilization VI a lot. I had restartitis in that game for sure, because whenever I would sit down and load a game, I would have no idea what the heck I was doing. Also that game starts to feel too much like a management career after a certain point.

In Sims I don't do a lot of restarting exactly, but if I have an idea for a short story or something where there will be a definite endpoint, I keep it in its own save. Also for my games with minisprite, she prefers to have each played family in their own save rather than having a bunch of families together in a rotational game.

• ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    I restart whenever I get bored.
    He/Him
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,060 Member
    I've been playing my current save since February 2021 and up to starting generation three. Neighbourhood stories killed off a few sims I had stories planned for but that didn't stop me from restarting and I created stories to help the widowed move on happily.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited May 2022
    rudolpha wrote: »
    I never have restarted. I'm a big rotational player and if I don't like the looks of the heirs I do major "plastic surgery" on them. If play gets boring I start something new within the same game. If nothing comes to mind I rotate to another family and let them sit for a bit.

I wish we would get something like plastic surgery in a pack or kit. Where it is easy to change a persons looks without cheating.

Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    I mostly play rotationally with aging off most of the time. I get attached to my sims and want them be able to experience things in each new pack. I have the same main rotational save I started out with in 2014. I have tried to do a couple of legacy saves, but just can ‘t get into them. Sometimes when children age up to teens they just do not look right. I don’t remember having that problem in sims 1 or sims 2. I didn’t play sims 3 long enough to find out. But besides that, just can’t get into just playing one household in a save, I like switching around. I did start a second rotational save which is my scenario rotational save. I am having fun playing that one too…. But I also keep aging turned off on that one most of the time. I am waiting for them to update babies.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I never restart---instead I'll create a new save that incorporates the idea or theme I'm going for. I think I'm up to 7 saves now?
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    I have a restless brain. Plus the starting part is fun. I do it in Animal Crossing too. I did it in WOW.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,125 Member
    I usually restart when a new idea for a new household strikes. I rarely replay my sims because I have a tendency of doing the same things over for them. I did restart my Westbrook legacy over. It wasn't for a different idea, just because I failed to take screenshots of the triplets in the fourth generation when they were toddlers. It made me lose interest because to that point, I had screenshots of every sim from all lifestages in every generation. I think sometimes I'm too absent-minded to be this much of a perfectionist control freak.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2022
    Being a continual sufferer of re-startitus, I wondered what makes other people quit their games and start all over again?
    Do you use the same lots? The same sims?

For me, I can be trundling along quite nicely when I suddenly get new ideas *oh, I should have done such and such* and think the best way to implement said ideas is by starting all over again... it's like a curse! I never get further than a couple of sim years (28 day seasons). I've never reached a 3rd generation.

So I will go back to my 'starter' save where I have set up all my favourite lots - sometimes I will change a couple of lots that I'm bored with or no longer like - and I will mostly play all the same sims in my rotation but with the new ideas implemented. I think I need to switch it up a bit this time!
    I usually restart once I fill all 80 Sim slots and can’t make anymore Sims. 😫

I save lots and Sims ready to put them back in a new save. I do admit to having the same Sims as my core group. I just like them. 😊

I don’t have ageing on so I treat my game like a soap opera. 😂

Starting fresh is good as this way I get some Sims back that have gone.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2022
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    I haven't started a new game in more than 2 years. I play rotationally within my main save and I care about all of my sims and builds too much. If I have a new idea I usually either try to incorporate it into one of my existing families or create a new family that I move into my save.

Same. I have a few side saves, where I thought I might try out some challenge or idea or feature without disrupting my main save, but I always get frustrated and end up setting it aside. I have my main save set up... well, I won't say just the way I like it, because it's always a work in progress, but I have the worlds/neighborhoods set up very much to my specifications at this point, and having to go through all that work for a new save is just too exhausting.

ETA: the only reason I would start a new save at this point would be in order to do a historical or fantasy save that wouldn't fit within my main save. (Like I keep meaning to do an Elder Scrolls save, but there are a few things that I think we are lacking but will probably still get that would make it better.) But I will never abandon my main save, unless something tragic happens, knock on wood.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    edited May 2022
    Sometimes I start a new game when something irl sparks an idea that I'd like to try out in-game.
    But most times it's because I get bored with a save I've done for awhile and I want to start over. I usually keep a "PRE *insert event*" save file so that if I get bored with a scenario I had done with a save I like, I can just "rewind" and pretend I never did it. Kind of like an "alternate universe". lol
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I have a chronic case of re-startitis. My main save is a story save, and I start new saves whenever I want to explore a new pack/kit or a new gameplay element; I don't want to mess up my story save when those experiments go wrong...as they often do.

I also have what I'd call "parallel saves," in which a character from my main save intrigues me (or my daughter) enough that we decide to play them as the "main character" in a new save. As a result, I have about 10 saves in more-or-less active rotation now.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited May 2022
    Primarily, it's been the lack of a decent base game.
    I have restarted my game, or put them on hold waiting for base game content and for certain expansion packs.
    I've restarted three times.

1st time:
    I tried playing a family when we first got The Sims 4.
    I really disliked how babies skipped the toddler stage and went on to be children. And I disliked how old the teens looked. It looked like they skipped the teen stage and went straight to being young adults. So I took my sim from CAS and only played young adults and skipped raising families altogether.
    09-19-14_10-00nbspAM.png

09-19-14_1-22nbspPM.png

2nd Time:
    The second time I had continued playing my young adult sim and she had amassed quite a few CAS created friends and I enjoyed playing them. But we had Get to Work and Get Together now and my play up to that point had been pretty random as I added more sims to the rotation. I decided to start them all over again.
    12-12-15_7-12-17nbspPM.png

3rd time:
    We finally got toddlers and we also got Parenthood. I finally felt I could start playing families now.
    But instead of hooking up my young adults with each other, I aged them all down to toddlers in CAS and gave them parents. Now they will get to grow up together and go to University together (When University finally came along.)
    12-09-17_9-54-38nbspAM.png

07-03-18_10-11-49nbspPM.png

07-08-18_4-43-17nbspAM.png

07-03-18_8-03-53nbspPM.png

The fourth time:
    Has not happened yet but it is coming.
    When all these sims have graduated Uni and are in their starter homes and apartments, I will set this save as a master save.
    And I will use it when I want to start a new game. I will probably use the master save to start new saves so I can focus on a few household at a time, because I have probably over two dozen sims that I really like in the world. All in all, my CAS sims, plus the dormies they met at Uni, plus TS4 townies.

However, the 4th restart is a ways off.
    Only a few sims have graduated Uni and the next half-dozen are teens in prep-school and the rest are still children.
    01-03-21_12-34-25_AM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

11-07-21_5-31-25_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds