Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Iteration of The Sims Is Your Favourite?

As per the title.

Which Iteration of The Sims Is Your Favourite? 97 votes

The Sims
4% 4 votes
The Sims 2
28% 28 votes
The Sims 3
38% 37 votes
The Sims 4
28% 28 votes

Comments

• EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2022
    For me, this is a rather difficult question to answer, as I struggle between selecting 2 & 3. Whilst there's more to dislike about TS3 relative to TS2, there's also more to like. This can be attributed to TS3's significantly greater volume of content relative to TS2. When I play TS3, there are features from TS2 that I miss, and when I play TS2, there are many features from TS3 that I miss. However, I undoubtedly have spent more time with TS3 due to said greater quantity to explore, even if I appreciate TS2 & 3 somewhat equally.

My least favourite is TS4. I know, how original! When the pre-release marketing revealed the lack of a persistent open neighbourhood, way back in 2013, I knew the game was bound to disappoint. Many of the improvements introduced in TS3, including many features from the EPs, were dependent on the open world, and so TS4 could not equal its predecessor, let alone surpass it, without open towns. So I decided to wait a while for more updates and add-on packs to flesh out the game before jumping over. After eight years, I'm still waiting. I played the base game for free a few years ago for about 2 hours, grew bored of it very quickly, and have never touched it since.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    Plenty of players enjoy this version of the game. I’m not sure playing the base game for two hours constitutes a fair review of the game as it is now.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited May 2022
    Sims 2 hands down is my favorite version of the game. I have briefly played Sims 3 and 4 but always returned to Sims 2 because of the depth of Wants/Fears, the community lots, Lifetime Wants, Aspirations (assigning Secondary Aspirations), Chemisty, Attraction, Jealousy, Fury, Turn Ons/Turn Offs, Interactions, Skills, University gameplay, Memories, etc.
    Post edited by EricasFreePlay on
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Sims 2 hands down is my favorite version of the game. I have briefly played Sims 3 and 4 but always returned to Sims 2 because of the depth of Wants/Fears, the community lots, Lifetime Wants, Aspirations (assigning Secondary Aspirations), Chemisty, Attraction, Jealousy, Fury, Turn Ons/Turn Offs, Interactions, Skills, University gameplay, etc.

ditto
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited May 2022
    Depends what I want to play with

ts1 is most nostalgic to me so if i wanna just vibe happily its that over others might not have fancy graphics n all but you know
    once you go to magic town nothing else is quite as magical

ts2 and 4 are what i would likely end up playing more with make stories and explore mysteries and create drama and such

basically ts4 is just ts2 but with better graphics and less gameplay and yeah idk

I do feel like ts4 is what i end up playing most though cause i don't have ts2 origin thing and they won't readd it :<

and also cause ive added sims from all games to my ts4 save so it has become bit of precious catch all iteration to me regardless of its flaws

ts3 is just kind of meh to me in general cause i haven't found a way to really make it my game even after all these years it just ends up kill sims fest
    i guess what ts1 has in vibe it lacks 100% and i just don't like graphics and despite having all kinds of things to do i just never feel inspired to so yeah idk
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    Plenty of players enjoy this version of the game. I’m not sure playing the base game for two hours constitutes a fair review of the game as it is now.

Perhaps not, but it showcases that it failed to capture my interest like the others, which makes it my least favourite by default.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    For all gameplay issues Sims 4 has, it's still my favorite game, though 2 and 3 have their own perks too and I love them a lot as well! I like the mods Sims 4 has and the inclusivity options such as freeing up outfits for genders (especially freeing up hats from hair, there's too many good hats in Sims 2 and 3 that are ruined by hairs I don't like and vice versa) and giving any character a masculine or feminine body frames are huge boons to me. Gameplay has its own issues such as emotions overpowering individual traits (some traits aren't even that in-depth to begin with such as being a vegetarian shouldn't be a trait while the confident one doesn't really add much other than a random moodlet) to some annoying autonomy behaviors but what I also like about Sims 4 is that I have more control over my Sims than 2 and 3, but some people prefer a laissez faire approach to their gameplay as well and that's fine too!
    A1hnP0t.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    What's a Iteration?
  • mangosimoothiemangosimoothie Posts: 5 New Member
    I miss how whacky and unhinged Sims 2 was!
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    What's a Iteration?

version of
    Thanks. ;)
    Sims 3 is still a little better than Sims 4 because of the following:
    Playable Babies
    Color Wheel/Textures on everything :p
    Fairies/Genies/Wolfies :p
    Spiral Stairs
    Heartshape Bed
    Romantic Sleepwear
    Cars
    Bridgeport
    Moonlight Falls <3
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    It depends on what I want to play, but TS1 and TS4 are my current favourites. I never really played TS3 and though I loved TS2 I just don't want to play it anymore (at least for now). It's like, even though TS2 has many things that I wish I could see in TS4, TS4 still offers me some things better than TS2, such as freedom to easily move sims between households, better CAS, camping around the world and maybe also better graphics.

I love TS1 for various reasons, such as the atmosphere, graphics, gameplay and music, and it really is a fun game. I only play it once in a blue moon, but when I do and get into it I enjoy it so much.
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    Although I like the gameplay of The Sims 3, that long loading screen at the start, the plastic looking clothes and the pudding-faced look of the sims has prevented me from calling that version my favourite whereas in my opinion, the Sims 4 has better looking sims and more outfit customisation options but has a more limited gameplay. For an all rounder though, I would have to say that my favourite was probably The Sims 2. I only wish that I was still able to play it.
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 371 Member
    I don't mind the long loading screens because I know I'm playing on a potato of a laptop. It can't play any current gen games and the games it can play aren't going to be at the highest graphical fidelity and performance. That said I gotten used to it so while the other games might be better performance wise, the amount of gameplay content the Sims 3 has makes the wait and occasional lag worth it.

Plus I can mod it to my heart's content since EA/Maxis aren't going to update it any time soon. So no worrying about game updates breaking mods and CC.

I like the graphics for the Sims 3. The environments combined with the weather from Seasons can create picturesque scenes. Others can say the Sims have pudding faces but I'm of the opinion any Sim can look good if you know how to use the tools given.

Although, a part of me does think that if the Sims team had updated the Sims from 3 to look like the ones from Medieval (they are on the same game engine) there might be less pudding face arguments but what can you do.

Either way, Sims 3 is my favorite, flaws and all.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    edited May 2022
    I came into the series shortly after TS3, closer to the release of Late Night so for me it's between 3 and 4, and it's TS4 by far. I like the graphics much better. I liked the graphics for buildings and objects, the sims themselves always looked odd. As bad the CAS options are in TS4 they're far better than TS3. B/B is better too. I love creating lots in TS4 but had no interest with TS3, and it's all down to the improvements in this iteration. CAS is even more dramatic in terms of improvements. There is no comparison. I have had far less trouble with crashes too in this version.

Last but not least for me is how much easier it is to add and remove CC. It was torture in TS3 but it's a breeze now.

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    It depends on what I am wanting at the moment and what parts I like.

Sims 2 have the best quirky and personalities and little details that I like. However, it can be a bit hard to play with the needs at times, and it doesn’t have much occults that interest me.

In terms of occult play, my favorites would have to be between Sims 3 and Sims 4. I love mermaids, fairies, spellcasters, and vampires, and Sims 3 has most of those, plus an underwater aspect for mermaids.

However, I do love the mermaids and vampires of Sims 4 as well.

I haven’t played much of the spellcaster aspect of Sims 4’s RoM, but I like that there is a spell-casting occult option in the Sims 4, at least.

I do miss Sims 3’s open worlds sometimes, but I really miss being able to travel and interact with the babies and toddlers. I miss being able to take the little ones in the strollers and other little details like that. Sims 3 has Generations and family play.

However, Sims 4 also has some nice family stuff as well with Parenthood, toddler skills and toddler personality types, and some little packs (and now a little kit) for the younger life stages.

I also don’t need to use mods as much with Sims 4 as I do with Sims 3. Sims 4 is also easier and more laid back, too.

So it’s pretty much tied between Sims 3 (with NRAAS mods), which has grown on me over time, and Sims 4, which I’ve enjoyed once toddlers were added.

I love mermaids/merfolk in general when it comes to fantasy/supernatural beings, which is another reason why I am torn between Sims 3 and Sims 4.

I chose Sims 3, but it could easily have been Sims 4. Sims 3 has underwater areas for mermaids and the kraken and more deadlier sharks and such.

I feel the games are tied for me, but it depends on what aspects I want to play with. I still play with both of the games, though I’ve been playing more with Sims 4 lately.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • AdamBurtSimsAdamBurtSims Posts: 37 Member
    The Sims 4.
    I'm a British Geek who love Bella Goth, Behr sisters, Liberty Lee, Summer Holidays, Pleasant sisters and other Sims wafius/girlfriends. And like his Sims cats.g8pvk4adgueh.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    TS2 my favourite by far, TS4 in 2nd. Played some TS1 a couple of days ago and still found it fun.
  • Mikayla_Rose_GrahamMikayla_Rose_Graham Posts: 18 Member
    The Sims 3
    Mikayla Rose Graham been playing the sims since 3 years
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2022
    Sims 3 100%, tried Sims 2 once as well but for me it felt like a more basic version of 3 as I don't really care for all of the gameplay systems everyone obsesses over with 2 so I never really saw any benefit to playing it over 3.

4 I played with a lot at one point but I'm bored of it at the moment and I don't see myself going back to it anytime soon unless they add a pack I really want (hotels) or a pack that really excites me and feels exciting and new/unexpected. It's felt like a snoozefest for me recently as the packs haven't interested me for the last year and half and it seems to just be constant drama, broken content and community disappointment now which is getting so boring to the point where I'm totally put off of going back to 4... I guess I would rank them as 3>4>2>1.
  • MeliathenaMeliathena Posts: 7 New Member
    Without much hesitation, the Sims 3!
    Open world, and some of the best add-ons in my taste! I still miss features such as horses or diving (yes, since Island living our Sims can go scuba diving, but it's nothing like the underwater diving from Island Paradise). I still play it sometimes even if I have the Sims 4 (though unfortunately I can't really have the two on my computer at the same time).

The Sims 4 has better graphic, faster loading, and some nice additions, like child aspirations, toddler personalities, and it has cool occults. But, that's only normal, considering toddler weren't available at first and we have to buy like 4 or 5 different packs if we want to get all the occults!
    Some of the packs feel like light versions of TS3 and TS2 packs.
    Some nice additions have been added though, like in-game scenarios, challenges.
    Neighborhood stories are promising, even though it still creates too many annoying or ridiculous situations. Finding a family with 4 or 5 new babies is ridiculous but funny. But I also realized too late that one of my family has moved, when it took hours to create and furnish their house. It was infuriating. It also made the Scott family move, and since then Sara Scott is not the pub owner anymore. I don't know if it's normal or if it was a bug, but I feel like specific roles that are important within the game should not be affected! So it needs a bit more work, but when that work will be done it will be a fantastic feature. To resume, I like the Sims 4, but I feel like it could be better.

I'm nostalgic about the Sims 2. I remember it very fondly, it was my favorite game during a long time. When Sims 3 were first launched I was a bit disappointed by the game though, and I continued playing to Sims 2 during a long time. But then Sims 3 got more and more add-ons / expansion, and one day I realized that I had come to prefer to Sims 2 at last!